Indian Trail, NC
Creekside DGC Share
Uploaded By: justin Hole #13 (Taken 4/2017)

Short, No elevation changes, All woods

1    1/13/2019   1/13/2019
Review By: ampyun
Pros: Well marked directions and signage, good baskets, one hole has a nice raised basket on a pyramid type structure. Good short course for beginners.
Cons: Repetitive, all woods, no elevation changes, no water, shape of shots is repetitive, length of holes does not vary much. Dirt teepads. The designated teepads can get really muddy after rain and a number of them have roots/uneven footing.
Other Thoughts: This is a short course made for beginners but compared to Crooked Creek Crossing, Bailey Road, Eager Beaver and other beginners courses, it is really bland. Any disc golfers that are looking to try a lot of courses in the area can skip this. If you live near this course or are a beginner then give it a try! It's a course for people starting disc golf.

Creekside DGC

1    7/1/2018   7/2/2018
Review By: dndelli
Pros: Creekside DGC, located in Crooked Creek Park, is a beginner course located just outside of Mecklenberg County - where the average hole length is under 200 feet. The course has tighter lines than nearby beginner course Crooked Creek Crossing, but it would be pretty hard to miss par by much here, even for a novice.

One of the first things I noticed as I walked to the course from the parking lot, was the box with loaner discs in it. I like this a lot because I could see it helping introduce new players to the sport. I was bummed I didn't have any throwaway discs to put in the box, but if I am in the area again with some DX plastic in my car, I might swing by and make a donation. Near the loaner box is a practice basket, where you can even try putting with any putters that end up in that box.

I brought my full bag with me because I had just bought some new midranges that I wanted to get some throws in with, but if I came back to play I probably would bring 2-3 discs at most out on the course with me. I think this is a good place for anyone above a beginner to try to workout how to throw different lines with their putters and midranges.

The course was pretty easy to navigate, since it is so small and compact, and it would be pretty difficult to lose a disc here. There are definitely a lot of ace opportunities here. Hole 9 finishes near the start of Hole 1, so you can play a half round here and head back to the car, if need be.
Cons: Obviously this course is not challenging, but since there is no elevation at all, and no distinguishing features, the holes all tend to blur together creating a pretty bland experience. When I was finishing up Hole 9, I honestly was feeling course fatigue, which shouldn't happen on a course this short.

The course is also extremely compact. I could easily see an errant throw, an overthrow, or a bad bounce off a tree ending up in a neighboring fairway. I couldn't help but wonder if there needed to be 18 holes crammed into such a tight space. I think if this was a 9 hole course, or even something like a 12 hole course, there could have been some memorable holes built into this space.

There aren't any benches or trash cans, which isn't the end of the world since its a 3400 foot course, but worth noting because I think these features which would give them the edge in my book over this course. It makes those courses seem just a tad bit more family friendly.

The course also uses natural tees which will likely become pretty uneven over time.
Other Thoughts: All in all, Creekside DGC is not a bad course, it just doesn't manage to stand out, even if I were to compare it to other beginner courses I've played. I think it will do it's job of getting more people interested in the sport of Disc Golf and it helps give Crooked Creek Crossing (10 minutes away) almost a twin course, just with a different personality. This makes for a good day of golf for the novice wanting to experience two different courses, with different styles. If you live in the area and are either trying to get someone new into Disc Golf, or are trying to yourself, this course is a fantastic destination.

I am going to rate Creekside DGC at a 2.0 - this course satisfies the same niche as it's neighbor Crooked Creek Crossing. While I personally think CCC does it slightly better at the moment, this course is not a worse course. The holes at CCC manage to distinguish themselves from each other better in my mind, was spread out a little bit more allowing errant shots to not interfere with other groups, and that course has concrete tees, benches, and trash cans. Outside of hole 15, none of the holes made an impact on me, but I will say that elevated basket looked amazing! Hopefully one day concrete tees are poured and a bench was placed somewhere by the paved walking path near holes 1, 9, 10, and 18 with a trash can next to it.

Favorite Hole: 15

Overcoming MS through Disc Golf

1    6/6/2017   6/6/2017
Review By: Javaracer
Pros: Well thought out course with a layout that is easy to follow. My wife who plays with MS loved it. This seems like a relatively new course and will improve with time. Many roots and short stumps but walkways are usually identified by logs lining the path. We both found it great fun and still challenging with many tight lines. It would be great if tee pads were put in at some point as a run up is not feasible on most holes.
Cons: Fairways were a bit muddy after recent downpours, and bark would help to provide a drier playing surface. Benches would be welcome to sit a spell at times.
Other Thoughts: Well thought out course kudos to Pat Knowls the course builder.

Creekside

5+    5/29/2017   5/29/2017
Review By: Shamrock
Pros: Good course for beginners and kids, not too long and can play in an hour or so for a quick round. Undergrowth is minimal, so not a real problem locating disc if offline.
Cons: Natural tees that are getting uneven from use, trash in woods even though there are a few trash cans on course. Can get muddy if a lot of recent rain.
Other Thoughts: Would love to see concrete tees installed. Very nice park, but parking will get limited if tournaments are going on at ball fields.

There's a Creek?

1    5/6/2017   5/8/2017
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: As others have eloquently stated, this is not a course for seasoned, battle-hardened disc golfers. This is a course for greenhorns, families, albinos, the painfully Irish and those that need birdies to feel good about themselves. If you are an established DG'er, you will likely gobble up deuces like Mrs. Pac-Man with a serious case of the munchies. We're talking about ~220' Par 4's here. It is beginner Nirvana.

I don't know about creeks but it is very sylvan. Every hole is a sanctuary city of trees. Want an open hole? Too bad! Go take your fancy drivers and scram!

Though it's entirely wooded it isn't terribly monotonous. You're going to encounter practically every conceivable fairway possible on flat land at short distances. Navigation is a breeze because the next tee is never too far away or hard to spot and transitions are lined with downed trees.

Practice basket.
Cons: It's extremely flat and quite short so there are natural limitations to the design and fun factor. The tees are natural as well so as the course gains in popularity, a very real possibility, the tees could become rutted out quagmires.

They did a good job cramming in 18 holes in this small section of woods but there are some drawbacks. Holes and tees are within strike-range of each other frequently. Fill this course half-full of marauding hordes of chuckers and it could cease being family-friendly quickly. The potential for black aces is very strong.
Other Thoughts: Chances are if you're on this site and reading this review you're fairly initiated into the world of disc golf. Therefore you might want to give this course a pass unless you want to practice your ability to thread wooded fairways with a putter. I stopped using anything but Polecats after a few holes and had a blast so this is definitely not the course to lug your massive tournament bag around. But quick, fun rounds can be had and it's also a good place to introduce someone to the game.

Fun beginner/family course in a beautiful park.

2-4    11/27/2016   1/14/2017
Review By: Old Dog
Pros: - Course is situated in a beautiful new family oriented park with clean restroom facilities.
- Course is beginner/family friendly yet challenging enough for intermediate players to enjoy.
- Course is compact but well laid out with a good variety of looks from hole to hole. Some holes finishing left, some finishing right, some straight tight tunnels, one with an island of trees in the fairway.
- Course is easy to navigate with good signage and log lined, clear paths between holes.
- Course is completely in the woods which is a blessing during the dog days of summer.
Cons: - Pars are over rated with many listed as par 4 but none should be more than par 3.
- Course would probably be boring for bigger arms due to the shortness of the holes.
- Due to the nature of the park and the course itself I imagine it could get pretty crowded with kids and family groups on the weekends.
Other Thoughts: This is a short, flat, heavily wooded course that rewards shot accuracy over distance. A great course to bring the wife and or kids for some family time or to give a beginner a good introduction to DG.

A near perfectly-executed pitch-n-putt course.

2-4    9/5/2016   9/5/2016
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 2/9/2017
Pros: Creekside is a no-doubt beginner friendly, casual-level pitch-n-putt course. If you're brand new to disc golf, this course is meant for you!
- This is a very simple, easy-flowing course. At 3400 feet, the longest hole is #2 at 270; with the next longest being only 231 feet. Basically if you can throw a disc 200 feet, you're perfectly suited for this course.
- Despite a lack of elevation (as in it reminded me of Tidal Creek in the Charleston, SC area) and no obstacles other than trees, I actually enjoyed my speed round. I brought my bag and 10 discs. I would have been better suited to play this course carrying 2, maybe 3 discs - one I can fade left; one I can fade right; and one to keep straight/putt with.
- Course is entirely in the woods. I had sunglasses on until the first hole. By the time I walked off #18, I forget I had slipped them over my hat because I hadn't needed them one bit.
- Unless you get a bad bounce off a tree, an average player is going to be hard pressed to see anything worse than a 3 on any hole. My only 4 was due to a disc that turned 90-degrees right, deep into the woods after seemingly glazing a tree.
- Lots of birdie and/or ace chances here. This will be a solid ace-race tourney course in the future.
- Course is easy to navigate. The entire 18-holes can't cover more than a couple acres. On a regulation-sized course, you might get 2-3 holes max on this amount of space. Still, thanks to next hole signs, it's easy to make your way through the 18.
- This a great new park with lots of other amenities. Best part of it is that the disc golf course has space all to itself.
Cons: This course is not aimed at advanced-level players. This is dunking on a 7-foot rim over a bunch of kids. If you take this round for what it can offer, and who it's aimed at, you'll enjoy your round here. If not, go play at Dry Creek instead.
- I could see this course easily getting bottle-necked with kids, families, first-time players and other large groups playing here. If you're a regular disc golfer, be prepared to come across others here who don't know the rules of the game/cut across fairways/skip holes, etc. You're now on their turf, not the other way around.
- On the micro, there is a variety to the holes (the 140-footer is a dogleg left while the 150-footer is a dogleg right). On the macro, the holes all feel the same. For advanced players, it's going to be a whole lot of 2s on the card.
- No signature hole? Nothing really challenging? #18 ends with a whimper? I don't know. I'm grasping here. This course really is about as great as one could expect from a 3400-foot layout.
Other Thoughts: Creekside Park is what it is. Well, except for the fact it's not alongside a creek. It's as accurate as calling those rental condos 3 blocks in from the beach 'oceanview' rooms.
- I'm pleased that a short, beginner-friendly course was properly executed for once. We've all seen the towns try to put in 'beginner-friendly' courses and totally botch the layout (remember: Clover, SC's course put the tees in sideways!!). You can tell here that the designers knew what they were doing. It's not a difficult concept.
- Just like Crooked Creek 5-10 minutes away (where you do actually cross a creek), this is another beginner friendly course just across the line from Mecklenburg County. We apparently refuse to let anything this easy be built in our county, so they're all just across the line. Our loss is Union County's gain.
- You could actually make a fun 36 out of this course and Crooked Creek. For an advanced level player, is it possible to get to 20 under, 25 under, 30 under playing these 2 short courses?
- It's worth playing if you're needing to practice your approach shots or are introducing beginners to the game. Once you do that, get out of the slow lane and play one of the many challenging 18-holers in the area!

Fun course

1    8/29/2016   8/29/2016
Review By: bsburch1
Pros: Can play it quick
Short holes
Confidence booster course
Pretty easy to go under
Fairways are in great shape
Cons: Short course
Par 4s that should definitely be 3s
Very technical (pro or con)
Alot of thorns
Other Thoughts: Fun course to play if you want to see yourself shoot a great or good score. Fairways are in great shape. All holes are birdyable. Practice basket area is sick (room for upshot practice and putting practice. Great safe park.