Fredericksburg, VA
Curtis Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: swatso Hole #17 (Taken 11/2016)
Hole #17 Red Tee

Hidden treasure

2-4    4/14/2019   4/15/2019
Review By: DumfriesLizzie
Pros: Three pads (mostly) per hole. Very good signage. Never lost my way really. Lovely forest and lake. A great deal of elevation changes. Several downhill holes and a few uphill ones too. Varied obstacles for each hole. Fairways go from reasonably wide to super tight. While most are straight, that doesn't get boring (to me) because of the varying tree/creek situation. All cement teepads in excellent condition. All baskets in excellent condition as well.
Cons: It is all woods, so you never air out a shot. Well, maybe the drive from the red tee on no. 17; there, you throw into the woods from the edge of a small meadow behind the pool area. Red tees get essentially half a pad (nearly square). Forget run-ups. All I can do these days is either a 1-step or 0-step drive. Sometimes I was falling off the front of the square teepad. Occasionally, the longer tees get these square pads also but not much. Par 4 might be too generous (for red tee) on hole 1; however, it's a good way to encourage the player just starting out. If you make par out of the box, you start out with good vibes.
Other Thoughts: I'm not sure there is a park entry fee April-October. Online information is poor on the county website. There was no one in the booth when I came. When approaching the park on Hartwood Church Road, look for the Gauntlet Golf Course sign. It is in the same park. While there also is a sign for Curtis Memorial Park at the park entrance, you can easily overlook it (neutral colors). Long driveway/road up to and past the entry booth. Continue straight along to the first large parking lot behind a soccer field on the left. Use the latter for warm up if no one there! The course starts across the street from where you enter the parking lot. I came on a day where most of the creek is dry. Two of my drives wound up in a creek bed. With actual water, the play would have been a different story. When you exit the course from the 18 green, you come uphill to the pool area. Turn right and follow the walkway to the large parking lot. You come back to it on the opposite side of where you started. if there is a day fee during the warm months, other stuff you can do here include: tennis, ball golf (regulation course), skateboarding, swimming (pool), soccer, hiking, picnicking, fishing (latter requires a permit).

A lot for a young course

1    6/14/2018   6/15/2018
Review By: mshelton
Pros: 3 concrete tees per hole
Different tees change the shape on a lot of holes and not just add distance
Well defined and cleared fairways
Pro shop with free maps and nice people
Cons: Still some work to do from the hole 2-5 rearrange, not much but can be confusing
A couple of the walks from green to tee weren't well defined but the map helped, and honestly as with any course the first time you play it there may be some confusion on where to go but you figure it out and are fine after that
Other Thoughts: I was surprised at the condition of the course, looks like it's had a much longer beat in time than just a little over a year and a half (opened 10/2016). The fairways have been kept down with traffic and the rough isn't bad for finding errant shots. Course it clean and the park along with Spotty DG club does a nice job of keeping it in great shape.

I talked to the people in the pro shop and got the word form them that 17 holes were originally professionally designed, then due to time constraints the park designed the last one. Turned out that the setup for 2-5 wasn't really conducive to tournament play and had to be redone which is why some people initially find it to be somewhat of a jumble, heck I found myself teeing off an abandoned tee pad then realized. The holes they laid out seem to work just fine.

All and all a really nice course. When visiting stop in the pro shop, grab a map and buy a disc, to me this place is worth doing a little business with to support their efforts.

Woods You Like To Play A Game?

1    4/8/2018   4/8/2018
Review By: JungleNYC
Pros: Nice, wooded, lots of elevation changes.

A good bit of variety between holes.

Good mix of long, short and medium holes.

3 tees choices for each hole.

Good amount of signage*
Cons: *Some sign MAPS are not aligned with player perspective in mind, and can be confusing for the new player.

No color on the baskets, which again can be confusing to a new guest.

Hole 2-5 cluster is a bit strange.

Tees not finished yet.

Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. I was stuck in 95 traffic and decided to just head east a bit, stretch my legs, and I found this beauty. As others have stated, it's a newer course, so some of the CONS can be forgiven because they're most likely being fixed/upgraded as we speak. For me the first 4 holes were a bit "meh" but then from 5-18 there really wasn't a bad hole. In fact they were all pretty special in their own way. Really good use of terrain, a good mix of length, and (this is important) there was obviously a lot of thought put into the 3 TEE setup. I only had time to play once through (WHITE) but I could easily see how the red and blue were really well designed for a shorter red round, and a much longer (and slightly more technical) blue round. It's a good level of difficulty, too. When the holes get difficult, they get difficult for a natural reason. Not because they forced the difficulty by "cheating" it (you know what I mean). They used the natural layout very nicely. It's pretty tough, but very fair. I was there when it was still a bit cold outside, so I didn't see a lot of hikers, but thinking back there was a fair amount of wooden bridges, stairs, etc, which I now realize are probably for the hikers, and not made especially for us, lol. Although I may be wrong! There is also a huuuuge lake on the back 9 that the designers didn't really bring into play. Which is probably for the best (my discs love water). There's a nice green patch of grass on the edge of that lake, too, just begging for a basket...but I would image that it's teeming with kids during the warmer months. Fore!

Fun Course

1    12/19/2017   12/19/2017
Review By: Nancywanett
Pros: Multiple tees, my Dad, Husband, and I all played I am still amature while my dad has never played, my husband is a bit more experienced. He played the intermediate tees, while we played amature. It even out nicely.

Beautiful walk through the woods, along the the lake, complete with old cemetery from the 1900s.

Cons: Ground can be very uneven, more so than it looks it the leaves. Lots of sliding, and slipping.

Other Thoughts: We are from Texas staying with my parents for Christmas. Having played lots of Houston courses. This was by far my favorite. Just a great location, and set up. Lots of fun to play.

Could be good

1    8/11/2017   8/11/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Curtis Memorial is a new course, mostly wooded, set on a nice property with some water and a few gradual hills. The course has a lot of potential, but plays a little too similarly in too many places for my taste. There are a lot of holes that are a minor variation of, throw a shot down this tunnel or through this gap My favorite holes came right at the beginning and at the very end, including a nice downhill tunnel shot on 17 (I know I just complained about tunnel shots, but that one I like). Hopefully this course will improve as it grows. The potential is there.

New Course Will Age With Beauty

5+    1/1/2017   2/12/2017
Review By: beardlikeabe
Pros: Huge Parking Lot right near hole #1
Three different tee boxes
Pretty diverse layout
Some differing elevation. (5 is a fun little downhill ace run, then 6 is an uphill beast that is pretty challenging to birdie)
Navigation is fairly easy. Follow the chopped logs with paint and you will be fine.

Cons: Only the first 2 holes have non-natural tee boxes and they are pavers. I hope they do not put pavers in the entire way through
(I don't mind natural tee pads but right now 6 and 9 are at a pretty steep incline for teeing off)
It's a young course so that means there are still some small trees scattered throughout that probably could be trimmed up
Between 14 and 15 can be tough to navigate. Same with 16 to 17.
Walking paths for non-golfers cross the fairways in several locations (there are signs posted but since most people have never heard of disc golf they are not looking out. Guess you could say that this is one way to grow the sport)

Other Thoughts: Ive played this course about 10 times since installation of baskets and have experienced its improvements along the way. It's a new course obviously, however I see great potential here and think it will age beautifully. I envision tournaments in the near future here and hope this will continue to grow the sport and provide exposure to those in Stamford County/Fredericksburg. A big arm really wont be tested here (maybe on 9) but If you are looking for a fun course to test your accuracy this is a great choice.

Remembering ... Curt?

2-4    11/11/2016   11/20/2016
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Three tee locations per hole, appropriate for their target audience.

Even sans map, navigation was easy.

Plethora of elevation types, ranging from mild to moderate.

Practice basket. Open field for some driving warmup. Plenty of parking.
Cons:
Most tees are natural. Many tees are uneven. Some tees are short.

Bit of a walk from 14->15, 16-17, 18->1.

Baskets 2&4 tees 3&5 form a too-close-together cluster.

Several walking paths criss-cross the course. Number-17 is probably the worst, as the walkers may not be visible until post-release.

RIP new Stingray, somewhere in the clutter left/short of basket-14.
Course plays up, down, along, and across a hardwood ridge, located in a large public park, hosting a variety of natural activities.

From the reds, holes average a bit over 210', and typically require either a window to be hit at the midpoint, or a tree to be missed late. Minimal shot-shaping, except for a few short turning shots on 13, 14, turn or fade on 15. While elevation does come in play, its effect is minimized by the shorter distances.

From the whites, the average length bumps up to ~275'. There are more shot-shaping opportunities, as more so than the extra distance, the whites will typically be offset to the side from the reds. Elevation has greater impact, as there is more of it. All of the required lines seemed quite fair.

I did not play from the blues, but they increase the average distance up to ~375, and based upon my observations of the tee locations, should prove to be quite challenging, a bit narrower early, and offset just enough to require some tough shaping.

NOT a bomber course - control and accuracy, with increasing elevation/shape/distance challenges as one progresses from the tees, are the main goals here.