Dallas, TX
B. B. Owen Park Share
Uploaded By: MacGyver214 Hole #15 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #15 Alternate Basket to Tee

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Ugly

1    3/25/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: There was good variety in the shots that you need to play this course.
Cons: The baskets were homemade! The signs, tee pad, paths between and some holes just were aweful. The front 9 were really crammed together and you easily could hit someone with an errant drive, or worst case land on the road where there is a lot of traffic.

Great Corse!

2-4    9/12/2017   9/14/2017
Review By: LeeK
Pros: Wow! What an awesome course! Well worth your time! Very good variety of shots. Left, right, short, and long!
Huge cement tee pads
Close enough to down-town Dallas
Cons: Not really any...
Baskets are a bit older, but hey, they still catch discs!
The course is a bit confusing. Especially hole three. Three's tee is out closer to the road past twos basket. It's not the pad that's only a few steps away. That's tee six.
The course is always busy. Not a bad thing but with the closeness of some of the baskets to tees and overlapping fairways, just be safe.
Other Thoughts: Take a picture of the map at the start. Or use UDisc!

Overall it's a lot of fun! I met some very nice folks! One even helped my find a disc I threw long into the brush.

As I was leaving, I found a disc in the middle of the driveway close to the area of the practice basket. Since there were a few guys practicing, I decided I would try to pass on the previous favor and see if it was theirs. (No phone number on it..) The one fellow took it, said he knew whose it was and would see to getting back to its owner. So I feel good! I mean who wouldn't!? Then no sooner had I got into my car and was leaving then that jerk took that disc and very deliberately threw a drive with it, straight into the brushy creek bed where only an act of God could find it. Things like that make me not want to try to return discs! Guys, let's be respectful and try to return discs when we find them!

Good for the Dallas Visitor

1    7/31/2017   7/31/2017
Review By: CrowLegs
Pros: Good variety of holes.

Well maintained grass and paths.

Excellent tee pads.

Not going to lose discs.
Cons: Navigation can be a little tricky. We played #6 instead of #3, but went back and corrected our error. It was not obvious from the tee signs that #8 was back by #1.

Some of the tee signs are defaced or missing.

Some of the baskets are a little janky. I don't mind all that much, but they are not top of the line.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course. I play when travelling for business, and usually don't want an epic course that's going to take hours to play. At the same time, I want more than a 9-holer with 90 foot holes.

BB Owens is the perfect course for the Dallas visitor who's looking to get some play in and add to their course list. There are plenty of fun holes (#16 over the water, and a couple others o the back 9 in particular).

I played it with just a TL and a Pure, and did not feel like I missed out by not having a big bag. If you like to play new courses and don't want to commit to a lot of time on an epic course, you'll want to check this one out.

High variability with average difficulty

5+    1/25/2017   2/1/2017
Review By: jamminbales
Pros: -GREAT tee boxes
-Good for beginner and intermediate players because it has a variety of shots with very low chance of losing a disc

Cons: -Won't be very challenging for high level players
-Tee signs are either hard to read or gone
Other Thoughts: Difficulty (2.5/5): The difficulty is my favorite part of this course, as a beginner. It only has a few wide open holes, and those are generally the longest holes. Besides that, there's always a handful of trees around to make you shape your shots and a couple of tunnels thrown in for good measure. But the difficulty isn't overwhelming for me as a beginner. If I miss my line by 10 feet, I'm not clanking off of a tree, I just have a harder upshot/putt.

Maintenance (2.5/5): The grass is kept short, no complaints there. They have the best tee boxes of any course I've played. Long, concrete, and tapered down to point towards the basket. The tee signs are in poor shape, though. I think 3 are completely missing, and the rest are extremely faded or covered in graffiti.

Variability (4/5): BB Owens has a great amount of variability. I usually use every single disc in my (admittedly small) bag. Off the tee, I'll throw hyzers, skips, anhyzers, bombs, layup placement shots, and straight shots playing the fade. And what's great is on a handful of holes, there are multiple ways to attack the basket so you can play it different everytime. The high variability with only average difficulty is what keeps me coming back to this course.

Flow/Experience (3/5): It's pretty easy to navigate this course by yourself, especially if you take a picture of the information board map near hole 1. The first time I played here I was playing by myself. I navigated perfectly except for I went from Hole 2 to Hole 6. I quickly realized my mistake and went back to Hole 3. The experience here is a bit below average for the most part. The scenery isn't that great and it's bordered on two sides by busy roads. There is a ton of trash in the woods and no holes that could be considered signature. That being said, I raised the experience rating by a whole point when I realized that there are two "secret" holes in the woods, 16A and 19. They are extremely narrow and short, but worth the play!

My One Year of Playing B. B. Owen Park Review

5+    6/16/2016   6/17/2016
Review By: Jimbotten
Pros: Hole Variabilility: 3.0*. Great assortment of Shot Paths, and Difficulties. Course has Multiple Pin positions that seem to change at least once a month. Several holes have sharp turns left, while some have sharp turns right, which makes for good and fair variability.

Par Difficulty: 4* With some of the alternate Pin Positions, making par consistently can be a challenge for non-competitive players, good for private competition.

Environment: 4* Pathways in between holes are well kept, and lined with stone blocks that have been useful in muddy times. Over the year, credit to the course maintainers, I've noticed subtle updates to the course: new pin positions have been carved out in the woods, and touch-up landscaping, such as new stone blocks lining a few tee boxes. Seems like a good tournament course with a few great alternate grass tee locations.
Cons: Environment: Ant hills are everywhere, this course in particular has more than others. Signage is inconsistent (some info is faded) and needs some touching up. Only one or two walks in between holes are scenic. To me a perfect disc golf course balances wilderness with park moreso than B. B. Owen does.

Hole Variability: Not the greatest assortment of short, mid, and long holes. I judge this based on the number of different dics i use, and i use one driver on 50 percent of the holes. Only 1 threatening water hole and it isn't very scenic.
Other Thoughts: Two different parking lots allow you to decide if you want to start on hole 1/8, or start on hole 9.

Some players like this challenge and others do not, so i did not list it in the pros or cons, but: Several holes throw directly East or West, which can be blind shots directly into the sun depending on the time of day.

This is my first long review; I tend to prefer short and to the point reviews. Thus, I conclude by saying this course is easily not perfect, but it is still a solid goto course once a month for friendly competition, especially if you live within a 30 minute commute.

BB Owens

1    10/7/2015   10/7/2015
Review By: reezyF
Pros: My three pros:

-Concrete tee pads throughout
-Decent use of minimal trees and elevation
-Many of the holes seem to favor forehand throws which is my preference
Cons: My three cons:

-Even with a map I still got a little confused with so many baskets and tees close together
-Several somewhat lame holes including a super short #4
-Even on a wednesday morning there were a couple other groups out there so I could imagine how busy and crowded it could get at peak times
Other Thoughts: After reading the reviews before playing I couldnt help but keep looking in the woods for someone sketchy to pop out, but i saw no homeless folks or other nefarious characters about. In fact some of the woods looked really cool to check out but i was a little weary about going off in the woods after what others had posted.
I might have liked the course more if not for the terrible round i was playing which included no birdies even though several holes are easy 2's... I might like it more if i had a better round, but there's nothing special that would really make me want to go out of my way to try it again.

My original fave

5+    9/9/2015   10/5/2015
Review By: DonJuanDeLaNooch
Pros: Plays quick and has been around forever.
Some really talented players frequent this course
If you like to air it out this is the course for you.
Multiple pin locations and some really fun shots. You can ace here. You can also lose discs, pretty tough to lose discs though.
Disc golf culture lives at this course.
Cons: its been around forever and as such it's always crowded. It could use some spiffing up here and there. Overall tough for me to find a real con. This course is popular for a reason.
Other Thoughts: If you are from the Dallas area you should add this to your list of courses played. This is one of the original joints for the area. Still good. It's been around since disc golf was Frisbee golf. Just like me.

Nice intermediate level course

5+    7/8/2015   9/11/2015
Review By: Tommy2am
Pros: Convenient location right off 635. Concrete teepads. Fairly hard to lose discs. Has some tight areas to throw through such as holes 1 and 17. Port-a-potties are typically well maintained. Because of the layout and type of grass, this course is ALWAYS playable, even after huge rains, ice storms, etc. This course holds up well to inclement weather. Because of the layout, you could play quickly if you are short on time. There are two or three alternate pins for almost every hole. Some elevation changes. A nice practice basket sits right by the parking lot and hole 8. There is a guy that sells new and used discs out of a truck on Tuesdays and on the weekend. There are tournaments on Tuesdays, and they do bring out some big name players. There are a couple of "secret" holes that are two of the best on the course.
Cons: There are several wide open holes. While there are some light trees about, they really present no challenge on these holes. The wind can be a factor as some of these are w-i-d-e open shots. There are a few signs torn up or missing. The fairways are close on a few, so you will have to watch where you throw. The homeless. Ahhhh, the homeless. There are several that live in the woods in the park. They are mostly harmless, but they will ask for money and they will creep up on you...so be aware of your surroundings. The streets do come into play on a couple of holes. There is an enormous amount of trash around...always. This isn't the best of neighborhoods. I suggest going in the day and being aware of what's around you. Being in a group doesn't hurt either.
Other Thoughts: If you live near the course, then it is an OK one to go to...especially since there aren't many others too close by. This was my home course for awhile, so I may see it in a better light than some. It's a decent course, but it can have a lot of traffic on it. It really missed the marked on using the great woods and creek that go through the middle of it however. The tee signs need to be repaired/replaced as well. It's worth going to, but there are certainly much better courses around.

My Home Course

5+    1/21/2015   1/21/2015
Review By: MacEZ
Pros: -Well laid out course with multiple pin positions
-Quick playing and short holes
-Fair amount of left and right handed holes
-The only real course in Dallas Proper
-Concrete Tee boxes
-Dries quickly after rain.. usually within 2 days
Cons: -Many of the tee box signs are missing
-The front 9 can be confusing for new people
-A lot of trees to lose your discs in on the back 9
-lately, creepy forest dwellers
-crazy annoyingly busy on the weekends on nice days
Other Thoughts: This is my home course.. I've played it over 100 times easily over the last 7 years. It's a good course but usually very busy.

Fun playing Course

1    6/28/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: snunnone
Pros: Open holes. Good obstacles on some. Easy play course.
Cons: A little crowded. Some tee boxes and baskets a little hard to find. But not a big issue.
Other Thoughts: Great course to just go and have some fun. Love the hole that plays by the road and an anny shot over the creek. Some tunnels to play into. Good mix of open and treed shots.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5