Blackwell, OK
Eagle's Route DGC Share
Uploaded By: DerekTonn Hole #3 (Taken 9/2016)

A Disc Golf Gift to Blackwell

1    10/14/2017   7/25/2018
Review By: armiller
Pros:
- land made available for disc golf, with good baskets, tee signs,
- fun holes, surprisingly long for a 6-hole course
- obvious disc golfer involvement in course design; not simply designed for kids or new players
- good practice course, especially for wind golf
Cons:
- pretty open and very susceptible to wind
I had fun playing a couple back-to-back rounds here on a very windy day. The course isn't exactly anything special in the scheme of disc golf courses nationwide, but it's a respectable little course. First United Methodist Church was nice enough to build a course with good baskets, tee signs, and a pleasant, clean, and spacious enough area that feels like a nice city park. Each tee sign says "A gift to our city," and I felt like a recipient of that gift while playing here. Some obvious TLC has gone into it, with good tee signs, good baskets, and some obvious disc golf experience behind the course design. Two holes are over 400', which was a welcome surprise for such a small course. The windy environment added to the challenge of my rounds, and it was a great exercise in discing up and keeping the nose down for headwinds (I had a memorably good champ Thunderbird turnover shot, as well as a hilariously bad Firebird nose-upper). I also threw several 350' overhands with the roaring tailwind on hole 5, and a similar length putter shot on the same hole.

The course would vary tremendously with changing winds, but it would always be fun. It was a relatively quick stop off of I-35, and a great option if you're itching to hit some chains between OKC and Wichita. Be courteous to the First United Methodist Church here, but I'd recommend taking advantage of this congregation's gift to Blackwell!

Rating: I'm going with 2.0 for "reasonable." I suppose I could have been nicer, but there aren't really any special holes. It's reasonable golf, and more than I would have expected if you showed be the pre-course surroundings. But six holes in land this open doesn't have the potential to go much higher in my book. If I lived in Blackwell, I'd be out here a lot, but it's not a destination course.

Cute little course

1    5/14/2018   5/14/2018
Review By: kcnickster
Pros: Nice course with an easy to follow flow. Longer than your typical 6 hole course plays around a very large field. Grass was well maintained and very nice of the church to make use of their land.
Cons: Not a ton of challenges here, holes were pretty wide open. Tee pads were non-existence although each hole did have a tee sign and the grass was worn down.
Other Thoughts: If your driving up or down 35 and have 30 to 40 min to kill then it's worth swinging by. On the tee pads embedding a landscaping stone or log into ground would help formalize the course a little more. Nice baskets nice tee pad signs so adding the tee pad marking would help.
Hole 4 was my favorite 450 ft hole with some nice guard trees just to put the challenge on the up shot.

Best 6 hole course I have played

1    10/14/2016   10/22/2016
Review By: eric_vdberg
Pros: Used land well. Good mix of distances and variety of shots. Did not try to put more holes in than the land could support.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Nice of the church to make this course available for public play. Surprising to find holes in excess of 400 feet on a 6 hole course!