Clinton, KS
Bloomington DGC Share
Uploaded By: Rob Martin Hole #8 (Taken 8/2017)

Rough Diamond

1    7/8/2018   7/10/2018
Review By: Average Joe
Pros: Terrific design with great variety - wooded, open, elevation, length. The wooded holes require technical shots, but there is a reasonable fairway for each basket position. There are roads (low speed campground access paths more accurately) running through the course, but the design minimizes the interference issues.
4 pin positions for each hole means this course can be different every time you play it.
New concrete tee pads that are long enough and shaped to give the space and angle you need for all the pin positions and every throwing style.
A nice bench at every tee (I think)
Excellent new baskets
Excellent parking and facilities
Excellent signage and information about the holes. I loved the elevation information for the T-pads and for each of the 4 pin positions.
Beautiful views of the lake
You have the course to yourself
Cons: Maintenance. The heavily wooded holes 2-5 had 8" long grass in the fairway and the rough was thick and 18" deep. It looked as though the fairways had actually been recently mowed, just the mower isn't set to cut it short enough since the area is fairly rugged. In fairness, I played mid-summer when this issue is its worst. Count on spending some extra time searching for your discs. Also, there were some low hanging branches that blocked the designed fairways. Some targeted pruning would help tremendously.

With 4 basket positions for each hole, there is tremendous flexibility to the course design. The downside is that when you are playing the course for the first time (or even for the first time in a while) you have to walk halfway down the fairway to try to find which position the basket is in - especially true for 2-5. So having lots of pin position options is actually a drawback for your first round.
Other Thoughts: I look forward to playing this course again in the fall or winter when the overgrown grass isn't an issue. The course is a 4 to 4.5 except for the maintenance issues.

It would be really helpful to know the basket position at each tee. Cedar Hill Park in Nashville has a clever way of indicating which (of 4) positions the basket is in that could be used here. Another thought - short of saying they are all in the same color position would be posting a notice at the sign near hole 1 like, "Odds in white, Evens in yellow" or "front 9 in blue, back 9 in red"

I played the course on a calm, sunny Sunday afternoon: perfect time and conditions for DG and no one else was there. The course is somewhat remote, so this is understandable. But I found it well worth the time to get there and I will definitely return.

Hidden Gem

1    4/27/2018   4/30/2018
Review By: Frenkenstu
Pros: Great mix of long and short. Wooded and open. Narrow, technical and bomber holes. Some major elevations and some flat.Has some of everything. Fantastic variety.

Nice big pads. Love the shape. Ice Cream Cone shaped.
Cons: length of grass. No markings for the next hole. a bit confusing at times without a map. No where near the worst I've see though.

Don't get fooled by the marker colors. They don't correspond to the tee signs.
Other Thoughts: I found this to be a great course. Very surprised at how good it was. Actually, how fun it was. I recommend this and think it is a great sister course to the Lake Perry course. Both CoE maintained.

Well Done!

1    4/7/2017   4/7/2017
Review By: tedkeith
Pros: Great pads, benches, and baskets.
Multiple restrooms on course.
Fairly easy to navigate.
Well maintained.
Beautiful scenery.
Four pin placements on every hole. Great variety. I don't think any of the short pins are over 400 ft and I'm not sure that any of the longs are under 400 ft.

Cons: No next tee information. Generally if you walk to the longest placement you will see the next tee. The exception is #2. It is in the woods directly across the road from the short pin.

Other Thoughts: The park is close enough to Lawrence that you can see the KU campus while playing. Typical Corp of Engineers quality. Good bridges and everything is top notch. Some fairly open holes but most have trees or OB in play, especially with the longer settings. All pins were in the shortest or next to shortest spots on this day and the wind was 20 or less so it played pretty easy. It would be a different animal in longs on a windier day! Even as a shorter arm I think I would like the long set up too. The holes do reward distance but when you near the longer pins it looks like shot placement is very important as well. Not as epic as Longview North of Lawrence mostly due to the terrain. This course is mostly flat and more open. The tick situation may be better here as the front plays near an RV campground and it is not as woody. I can't imagine there could be more ticks than Longview!!

Fantastic Course!!

1    2/5/2017   2/6/2017
Review By: Scobandit
Pros: Large tee pads. Benches at several holes. Great use of land, with many obstacles. Good mix of dogleg right and left. Tee signs don't get any better that the ones they have. Well maintained. A really fun course!
Cons: Some directional signs to the next tee would be great. The UDisc app is a great tool to find where you need to be. Most holes are set to the long pins. Would be nice to get a mix. Me and long holes don't get along well. Lol.
Other Thoughts: Congrats to the designer(s) and all the hard working folks that got this course in. A huge congrats to the Corp of Engineers, for seeing the importance of disc golf to the community.

Still in Bloom

1    11/10/2016   12/29/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Bloomington DGC has really great concrete tees with benches being installed on all (they may be finished since I visited). There are also good tee signs and top of the line baskets, equipped with flags to help identify wind direction and strength, which will be very useful. Multiple spots for pins at each hole for a different look now and then.

The lay of the land is open to lightly wooded for much of the course, with moderate changes in elevation, scattered mature trees and lots of grass coverage on the majority of the fairways. Holes 2-5 do take a swing closer to the water, where there is much heavier tree growth, and more tightly restricted options from the tee as a result.

Distance is one of the main obstacles to overcome, with several fairly long holes. There was a moderate to strong wind on the day I chose to play, and it really compounds the difficulty.

My favorite holes were 2, 3, 4, and 5 through the more densely wooded portion, and 11 and 18, the holes that played across the creek on the back nine. The bridge construction that was in progress on each of these water crossings impressed me a lot. They were among the most sturdy I have ever seen on a disc golf course.
Cons: I missed the transition from hole 1 to 2, and wound up going back to find it, playing the lakeside loop of holes 2, 3, 4, and 5 after 18. When you finish hole 1, cross the road, and turn to the right, hole 2 is not too deep in the trees, going toward the water.

Kansas wind can carry some discs, and added a few strokes to my round. A lot of the course is exposed with little protection. Nature hatin' on me. It's ok, I can deal with it occasionally.
Other Thoughts: Bloomington is getting the best equipment, and I give a salute to those responsible for it's installation. I liked the course really well, and think it maximized the lands potential.

I wish I had payed more attention to the signs, I can't remember if they were all posted when I played, I think they were. Not sure what par is, but I did not have any 2's on my scorecard. I would guess it to be in the high 50's to low 60's range, and I left with a 68.

I will return to see the finished product soon, and see if I can get a little more info to put on the site for you all. Whoever dropped the Clif Bar on hole 1, I owe you one. It didn't look like it had been tampered with or sitting for a long time. I was so hungry and took a chance. Right on time with no ill effects. Thanks to the disc gods and whoever lost their snack that week.

TOP 5 in KS

1    11/5/2016   11/7/2016
Review By: theFAIRdiscer
Pros: Amazing layout, great pads, views are incredible, and the elevation comes in to play on quite a few holes. They're putting benches at every tee pad as well. Someone has put a lot of effort into this course, and it shows. Multiple pin placements too, to keep everything fresh.