Gainesville, FL
Barr Systems DGC Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #6 (Taken 11/2016)

Barr-tender, please bring me another.....design

1    9/4/2017   9/5/2017
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- free course
- features 2 distinct styles of play: technical & open
- each tee had a marker, most were outfitted with astroturf
- beginner friendly
- Discatcher pro baskets
- regularly landscaped
Cons:

- I felt as if I was trespassing, like my car could be towed
- tees were short and uneven/bumpy, some lacked astroturf
- no signage between holes
- tee signs lacked distances, directional aids
- some tee orientations weren't pointed towards their baskets
- baskets were a little weathered, some not level
- mostly flat land
- too many boring open holes not enough technical wooded holes

The Barr Systems course starts at the front left corner of the property, works itself around and through the open field, then ends back in the woods. Holes #7 transitions into the woods and #9 ends at the start of the course. Tees were natural with astroturf draped over the ground, tees signs were short yellow stakes numbered with black paint, and the baskets were those highly visible, bright yellow banded Innova Discatchers that traveling disc golfers love for their visibility.

As far as 9 hole courses are concerned, the Barr Systems was fairly average. The open holes were boring, unimaginative, and didn't require much shot shaping. The lack of directional aids didn't surprise me, neither did the weathered condition of the course equipment. Course flow was decently intuitive, even though I mistakenly threw to basket #5 from the tee for #4. The basket for hole #4 is across the open field, not along the walking path along the property edge.

The best part about the course was the woods. I would have been much more content if the course designer had focused less on the open holes and focused more on the shorter, more technical woods aspect of the course. Hole #9 didn't have a fairway as much as a place to layup a RHBH hyzer for an easy approach to the basket. As is, neither style, open or technical, reached their full potential.

I spent Labor Day weekend with family at Disney World and used this course as an opportunity to stretch my legs during the journey home. A quick 9 was all I wanted, the course fit perfectly into my schedule. Barr Systems DGC has the potential to be a 2 or 2.5 in my personal rating system, but in its current condition and design I can only give it a 1.5

Interesting Fun And Diverse

1    4/15/2017   4/15/2017
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 4/27/2017
Pros: The course now has AstroTurf mat style tees, anchored down, and has 4x4 post markers with hole #'s on them. The course features mature trees, minor elevation changes, water hazards, open holes, tight tech holes, long holes and short holes. The course is very fun to play and will put a smile on most disc golfers faces.
Cons: Not too many cons here. Concrete tees and better signage are always welcome though. The course does play in some of the same areas as a heavily used walking trail.
Other Thoughts: Not really a rec or beginner course due to the length of some of the holes and the technicality of others. Everyone in my group agreed that if this course was in our backyard that we would play it every day. This is a private course so please be on your best behavior here. Thank you, Barr Systems!

Solid 9 hole course

1    9/15/2017   11/8/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
This review was updated on 9/19/2017
Pros: (2.073 Rating) (REVISED - replayed September 2017) The new Barr layout is a big step up from the old course. One of the better true 9 hole courses I've played so far (9th out of 43). It definitely left me envisioning how to design in an addition 9 holes on site. For quick reference, I rated the old Barr layout at (1.447)
- UNIQUENESS FOR A 9 HOLE - Looking back at my notes on the other 9 holes courses I've played, I currently have Barr slotted as the 4th most unique and just behind Lake Okahumpka south of Ocala. Hole (8) is a nice dogleg left with a defined but challenging line. There are loosely defined pocket shots, blind shots, a water carry, open plays and wooded holes with moderately defined lanes to throw down. There is also a mid-range 500 foot open par 4 that ends on a slope. Just reachable for the big guns.
- QUICK PLAY A single, can easily complete a full 9 in under 40 minutes. groups of 4 probably can play in under 75 minutes.
- BEAUTY - The raw beauty of the course is a touch above average. Much better than the old layout. This course even has a water fountain on number (2) and its definitely my favorite hole.
- MAINTENANCE - The grounds have been well mowed prior to both my rounds here. The course appears to be constantly trimmed and manicured. There was very little trash spotted despite a lack of garbage cans.
- FORGIVENESS - The odds of losing a disc due to an errant shot is low. There is significant water in play on (2), but that's about it. The tree canopy is mostly pine but few mixed deciduous trees and shrubs. Very few disc robbing palms.
- DIFFICULTY - About average, perhaps just a touch easier than the old layout. Advanced players should break par while most intermediate players should be even or so.
- TIME WAITING - I've spent zero seconds waiting to throw over two rounds here. There are only a couple of paths crossing threw the course and I saw zero runners and walkers on them.
Cons: - TEES - The biggest issue with a new course is generally the tees which obviously comes with territory of being a new course. All 9 of them as of this review are artificial turf. I will update my rating when/if they are installed.
- SPACING - Below average. Several of the fairways feel partially shared. Hole (3) and (6) fairways cross each other. Some of the tees are close to the prior basket. Considering that permanent tees are not in yet, this can easily be adjusted. In the chance there are a bunch of groups here, you will need to be aware of other groups teeing off.
- ELEVATION - Really not that much, probably average for Florida which is about 15 feet of change throughout an entire course layout. Elevation is used where it's available on holes (2,3,4, and 6)
- ACEABILITY - like the old layout, very few aceable holes. Hole (7) will probably be your only good shot at one.
- CHARACTER - Being a new course, the course lacks most of the character items that you'd find at an older established course. No course map, no community board, no hole signage, no trash cans, no alternate tees or alternate pin placements. The tees however, are generally shaded well and there is seating at (6) tee and a picnic table near (2) basket.
- NAVIGATION - There's a course map on the DGCR site, which is a good plus as its needed. I did find navigation to be an issue being solo and a first timer. I had check my map after a few hoes. I will add that it was ideal to have hole (9) basket end at (1) tee, making second loops seamless. Parking is a good 500 feet from tee (1) and basket (9)
- DRAINAGE - The 150 foot wide swale along hole (6) is actually a dry retention pond. It was very much completely filled up during my second round here making 4 holes nearly impossible to play. A local told me that that this occurs several times during the summer when the area gets 4 or 5 inches or rain over a couple days.
- JOB - Seriously, how does one get a job here.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth a look see if you live in the Gainesville area. Out of area players should check off Northside and Jonesville first before hitting this one. Being from out of the area myself, I made sure I played this one twice to solidify my thoughts. I've enjoyed this fun, entertaining and quick round.

New and Improved Barr Course! :D

5+    10/18/2016   11/3/2016
Review By: Funleavy90
Pros: -Very quite location. Its on Barr Systems' property.
-You never have to walk far from your car.
-The new & improved course is slightly more spread out then the old layout so you don't feel as crammed in.
-New Layout flows quiet well
-#2 offers a tough water shot, and challenges those who want to take the Ani-line over the water.
-All tees clearly marked and repainted.
Cons: -No Trash Cans
-Dirt Tee Pads. Talks are on going about installing carpet pads
-Baskets have seen better days
-Grass can get long and bothersome.
#3 poses a risks to walkers as the fairway is a walking path concealed by low trees.
#4 has tee that slopes downhill (talks ongoing to correct this issue).
-#4 and #6 share a fairway so be aware of other players.
-More casual walkers using the trails around the property that cut through some of the fairways.
Other Thoughts: The new layout is a gem 9 Hole in the city of Gainesville, I used to only play at Barr if I needed to practice putting but now I will be going here much more often to improve all aspects of my game.

Great course for novice players to learn the sport and not have the pressure of holding anyone up behind you.