Denver, NC
Rescue Squad Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscGolfCraig Hole #1 (Taken 11/2016)
-- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Rescue me as I fall down the hill!

2-4    6/27/2017   6/27/2017
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Wow! The Lincoln Charter area has more elevation than anywhere else in my area. I'm quite overwhelmed with how good of a nine hole course this is. And I just now realized that the Lincoln Charter area is <25 miles from Gastonia. This course is rather short, with the exception of one hole, but the elevation is quite satisfying.

-Definitely has the land for an 18 holer. I say that because I parked in the first parking lot I saw beside the pavilion. So I had to back track the course. Turns out I was walking left of the course and had to walk all the way up to the corner of the walking track and turn right. I think there could easily be a back nine in the area in where I thought the course originally was.

-This nine holer starts off promising with a decent downhill putter shot, and it gets better with the next two holes. And then you see the best of it.

-#4 is one of the coolest par 4's that I have played. It's a dogleg left that plays tight the whole way and across a large valley with great elevation change. Felt like I was in the mountains, as it is better than most of the holes in Asheville. But the approach shot reminded me of #5 at Richmond Hill. You know, that really fun valley hole?

-Holes 5 and 8 are close favorites of mine. #5 is a drop shot. And I love those kind of holes. #8 almost plays as a valley, but it's not because it's downhill about 90% of the way. It's maybe the second longest hole, maybe 285'. But it plays maybe 200'. There are trees to avoid on this hole, so you could be left with an uphill upshot, but it's reachable with a putter.

-The fairways are all pretty much different. #3 is a legit righty flick shot and #4 is a legit dogleg left. While the others are also accuracy testers.

-The previous reviewers mentioned that there weren't any tee pads. Well, there are brick pads out there now. There are also next tee arrows so navigation is easy.
Cons: -Well, it's still new. So it has its minor issues. Right now it's summertime so the lost disc potential is high. The underbrush is an issue on holes 1 and 9. There are no tee signs either. Not that we truly need diagrams, but it's always good to see the hole info. My estimated hole lengths are 215', 260', 225', 415', 180', 205', 170', 285', and 220'. It's not a long course, but it has it's toughness.

-Needs stairs! It's quite hilly in places, and it sucks to fall while it's summer, because there may be snakes.

-Really hoping for a back nine. The hole quality here is really surprising for a nine hole course.
Other Thoughts: -This nine hole course is something else. It's mostly wooded so it felt like playing The Bridges. Especially because the terrain here is very similar. Another good things is that this course, along with Robbins and Stumpy aren't far from Gastonia, Hickory, and Charlotte. It shows that there are so many good courses in North Carolina.

-Once again, I really hope that there could be a back nine. This course would be something else if it were 18 holes.

-My favorite hole was #4. It's definitely on my list of my favorite holes. It's different from the other holes here because it's over 400'. It's an awesome placement par 4 with a dangerous green. It's just a top notch hole I think. Hole 5 was a close favorite.

Surprisingly good

1    4/17/2017   4/17/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: - This course feels like an 18 hole course chopped in half rather than a 9 hole course. If they added another 9 holes of the same quality this would be a destination course.

- Excellent use of elevation on nearly every hole. In particular, hole 4 has you throwing a RHBH hyzer down a hill, then an upshot up a steep hill. Very fun hole. #5 is very steep down hill, and is the type of hole you'll want to empty your bag on.

- Legit Par 4 hole in the first half. This took me by surprise. I had a nice drive with a driver and was still outside my jump putt range, largely due to the steep uphill nature of the second shot.

- Great variation in the lines. Straight shots, a few RHBH hyzers, #2 & #7 turn hard right etc. The elevation also makes the different straight holes play very different.

- Great signage, outside of the lack of teesigns. There are plenty of signs direction you along the fairways and to the next tees. Navigation is no issue whatsoever for a first timer playing solo.
Cons: - THERE ARE UNFINISHED BENCHES THAT LOOK LIKE FINISHED BENCHES. I set my bag on a bench that looked sturdy and the entire thing fell apart and my bag took a tumble. Be careful when you sit on any new looking benches since they might not actually be nailed together yet.

- Still a work in progress. Many tees are unfinished, with the wooded planks and bricks sitting next to where you'll throw.

- No tee signs. There are markers on the ground indicating where to throw from, and signs guiding you along the course, but no tee signs.
Other Thoughts: Rescue Squad has the honors of being the best 9 hole course I've played in North Carolina. The par 4 here is more interesting than Bethel DGC's par 4, and the other 8 holes are higher quality as well.

To me the stand out feature of the course are the elevation changes. They're remarkable for a 9 hole course. I've never thrown a 9 hole course that has such drastic uphill and downhill shots. It makes the course feel so much more diverse and memorable than if it had the same layout on flatter terrain.

I hope there are plans to expand Rescue Squad Park DGC into an 18 hole course. I really think there is potential here for this to turn into a destination course if that's the case.

As it stands, once all the tees are installed, signs put in place, and the edges smoothed out, this will be a 9 hole course worth going out of your way to play. Rare breed indeed. Match it up with the nearby Beatty's Ford for 18 holes 2.5 miles apart, and you have yourself a technical, ace run filled day.

It doesn't quite deserve a 3.5 in its current form, but I'm giving it one because once the tees are finished it will have earned it.

dressed to the 9's

1    1/4/2017   1/7/2017
Review By: doink32
Pros: a couple of nice downhill holes 1,5,7,8...the teepads that are in, are great..New baskets--great..outlined fairways are pretty cool..
Cons: needs steps on 4's green,,had trouble finding teepads for holes 7(down,right of 6's basket) and 8(top of the hill).The hill on hole 8 is the steepest part of the course,so you have to watch your footing carefully if you have a bad,short drive like I did.The course is still muddy..
Other Thoughts: I get the feeling this course is easier during the winter than the summer.it took me 1hour 15 minutes to play--takeing my time..overall,,you can tell that this course will only get better..it is on a nice piece of property and I look forward to seeing it grow over the next few years..

Rescue Squad's First Responder.

1    11/22/2016   11/23/2016
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
Pros: Rescue Squad is a fun, advanced-level (relatively) nine-hole course that doesn't feel like one. After finishing up #9, I was eagerly ready to play a back nine.
- Not your typical, beginner-friendly nine-hole course. This feels like a legit 18-hole course that just happens to be cut in half.
- Solid hole layouts with lots of elevation. It really reminds me of Stumpy Creek, which isn't surprising because it's the same terrain, being only 20 minutes away. Also, has the feel of R.L. Smith, but the fairways aren't as wide (easy) as Smith.
- Great variety of layouts, even in its current developmental stage. #1 is a fun, downhill hole that reminds me a lot of Eastway #2. From there, you're playing a tight, wooded, uphill layout on #2.
- #4, once everything is cleared out is going to be a fantastic hole. A long, tight shot that bends left midway (1st shot); hole goes slightly downhill and curves back right (2nd shot) to a steep, uphill basket position (3rd and 4th shot). It was a tap in 4 for I what I hope to be a solid par. Very reminiscent of #2 and 4 at Stumpy.
- Course uses the elevation for some fun and/or challenging layouts. #5 is straight down the shoot. #7 goes downhill pretty sharp for the first half before coming back up towards the basket. When I played, the fairway seemed to be the pathway, which created a tough tee shot.
- #9 ended up being the easiest hole on the course. Slightly uphill layout that starts in the woods, required a slightly curving shot back to a basket in the open. Nice ending the round with a birdie putt within 8 feet.
Cons: Most of these cons will be gone soon because they're work-in-progress issues.
- The work-in-progress issues consisted of: needing better signage for tees and next holes. Walked the wrong path from #4 to 5. Still not sure where the tee/fairway are for #7. Also, felt like I walked past one tee area and played from a shorter, easier layout than should have.
- Hole lengths aren't listed (course isn't close to 3400 feet as of now.)
- Only legitimate concern: better paths/steps on some of the hills. Better bridges across a couple of creek beds (or at least better pathways to the 'easy' cross points.)
- Standard disclaimer: lack of benches, trash cans, etc. Second standard disclaimer: not an issue for a 9-hole course, just needs to be listed somewhere.
- Course is missing its back 9. Really, this could be a great 18-hole layout.
- Once tee pads and signs are up, course is going to be good.
Other Thoughts: Rescue Squad already feels like a more complete course than most nine-hole courses you'll play. Just because it's only a half-course doesn't mean Huey & co. are putting in half the effort.
- Course might not get the proper attention and respect it deserves because it's 'out of the way'. It's not really on the way to anything, it's a good drive from downtown Charlotte, and it's not going to be a destination being only 9 holes.
- I do think hole #4 would fit in nicely on every course in the area. Put it on a course like Reedy Creek, and that's one of the toughest layouts on the course.
- Between this and Beatty's Ford Park 5 minutes away, you've got a smashed-up 18-hole layout. They've got different feels to them, but at least it'll make the drive up here worth it.
- Even as an in-progress course, this is already one of the best nine-hole courses I've played. A solid 2.5 rating in my book, which (so far) is as high as I've rated any nine-holer.