Holtwood, PA
Muddy Run DGC Share
Uploaded By: kurtdemarra Hole #5 (Taken 1/2017)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
So Much Fun!!

1    7/26/2019   11/18/2019
Review By: blakem0714
Pros: this course will test everything you have from distance to short game, from wooded holes to open holes, from falt holes to large hills.
Cons: not the most cart friendly but you can definetly use a cart as long as you are careful around some of teh larger hills.
Other Thoughts: phenominal course quickly became one of my favorites i cant wait until i am in P.A. again so i can make the stop and play again.

Awesome course

1    10/19/2019   10/23/2019
Review By: branlong
Pros: Great variety. Option to use silver or gold tees. Usually will see deer. (I saw 8+). A little more than half the holes are in the woods, but nothing is thick or at risk of really losing a disc.
Cons: Too far from my house :P

2-4    7/25/2019   8/2/2019
Review By: aredoubles
Pros: Outstanding mix of holes. Open/wooded, straight/right/left, short/long, uphill/flat/downhill, you name it. And all of them are brilliantly executed, very challenging but very fair all the way through. High-quality multiple teepad options, beautiful tee signs, straightforward navigation, and even the snack bar and lake nearby add to the great experience.
Many of these holes are quite memorable, especially the epic downhill crushes of holes 2 and 16, and the intimidating uphills like holes 3 and 15. I also really enjoyed holes 10 and 14 from the gold tees, where placement drives off the tee prepare you for beautiful downhill tunnels to guarded baskets, very smartly designed disc golf holes. Neither the open nor the wooded holes are afterthoughts here, all parts are excellent on their own, and then are brilliantly strung together to make the whole course.
Fantastic use of this property to create a memorable and fun disc golf course.
Cons: A few of the shorter holes feel like slight filler to ease navigation. I'm thinking particularly of holes 7 and 9, which are fairly straightforward wide-open RHBH hyzers, and feel disappointingly plain compared to the rest of the course.
The main quibble I have is that some of the holes, even the fantastic memorable ones, feel like repetitive copies. Holes 2 and 16 are both awesome downhill bombs to a guarded basket, but require nearly identical shots. Similar for holes 3S and 15 (very uphill wooded shots), and holes 1G and 17 (open uphill drives to very uphill wooded approaches), which feel like playing the exact same shots again. All of these are still awesome holes, but I wish each one of these was a little more unique and distinctive.
Other Thoughts: The first time through, this seemed like a incredible course, one of the best I'd ever played.
The second time through, the two filler holes and the repetitive holes noted above bothered me a lot more. It felt like playing the world's greatest 13-hole course, then circling back and replaying some of the highlights. Of course that's still incredibly fun, but it feels like there were missed opportunities to create just a few more unique experiences, that could've elevated this course to an even higher level.

Tremendous in Every Way

1    7/29/2019   7/29/2019
Review By: RamsFan1
Pros: Championship-caliber course featured at the Muddy Run Recreational Area, an absolutely beautiful park featuring a lake, boating, a splash park and foot golf among other activities. 18 DGA baskets in great condition. Excellent use of elevation, a balance of both wooded and open holes & shorter and longer ones requiring one's full arsenal of shots. Fair routes to each basket. Navigation is relatively easy and intuitive. The signs are among the nicest signs I've ever seen at a DG course; 20" x 24" fiberglass placards with not only par, hole number, distance and flight path but a picture and information on a different area bird. A number of truly outstanding holes here- 2, 16, 17, 18 come to mind- any one of which could stand alone as a signature hole at most courses. Downhill hole 16 over a wide swath of tall grass and finishing hole 18 in a downhill shot through the woods and dog leg right to an elevated basket will be loved by players. Log benches, ample parking, snack bar, bathrooms and other amenities on the premises
Cons: I must nitpick to find any. I did not see a practice basket. Despite the presence of a large lake, there is no water hazard on the course. Grueling terrain.
Other Thoughts: I am not overstating in saying I believe this might be the best PA course east of Pittsburgh- which is really saying something given the existence of such places like Nockamixon, Quakers Challenge and Tyler State Park. It is a truly outstanding venue which will test you physically and mentally. And it's located on an immaculately groomed, beautiful piece of property. Rightly featured at the recent AM Worlds, Muddy Run is a marvel in design and concept. The work that went into this place and the routine maintenance required for its upkeep are considerable. Kudos to the guys that designed this magnificent course. A must play for anyone who loves the sport.

Superb course

1    7/23/2019   7/23/2019
Review By: adamsm
Pros: Totally fantastic course.
Lots of elevations, big down bombs, nicely space trees that allow for long wooded shots. Totally fantastic course. I played during World Ams so course conditions and maintence was top notch.
Cons: Nothing bad, just a bit far from everything.
Other Thoughts: Top notch course, play it you can.

Awesome Scenic Course

1    7/2/2019   7/9/2019
Review By: where'sfinn
Pros: The signage is one of a kind because it has:
a. Wildlife that can be found in the park on each sign, with
a description of the animal
b. elevation change
c. the total feet both too the basket and from the tee pad at
the start of a turn
Epic holes that have huge downhill shots.
Multiple concrete tee pads.
Great mix of tight technical shots vs big bombs.
Good mix of par 3's, 4's, and 5's.
Great elevation change.
Not crowded.
Very peaceful and scenic.
Benches on a lot of the holes.
Cons: No trashcans
One pin per hole
Other Thoughts: The park also has foot golf, which would be awesome to play too!

Almost

1    5/25/2019   5/29/2019
Review By: toddnick
This review was updated on 6/6/2019
Pros: - The course sits in a gorgeous park
- Variety of holes: short/long, hyzer/anhyzer, open/wooded
- Use of elevation: adds a tremendous amount of challenge
- Amenities: great tee pads, tee signs, baskets
- Though a newer course, the rough isn't an issue in most places
- Highlight holes: I loved holes 10 and 14, and really liked many of the others
Cons: One big con that took this course from about a 4.75 down to a 4 rating for me. The high grass on the last 3 holes.

On 16, you tee off from an awesome elevated tee to a blind landing area in a non-fairway (there is none). It is simply a field of knee-high (or higher) grass. With depth perception difficult due to a lack of markers (just grass), I spent 15 minutes looking for my disc and could have spent longer.

On 17, you have a 10 foot wide mowed section with the same high grass on both sides for several hundred feet. I just skipped this part as I didn't want another disc hunt.

On 18, it is less bad, but you can easily end up in the same type fields of grass.

Other Thoughts: The last 3 holes were a big letdown for me; the rest of the course was fantastic and among the best that I have played.

6/6/19 - I just updated the course from 4 to 4.5 stars as I was informed that the high grass on the last three holes is temporary every year (it is grown and harvested every year to feed deer the rest of the year) and is completely mowed every year after Memorial Day. So, for the rest of the year it is a 4.5 star course. It would be nice if this policy was posted so that golfers early in the year are aware of what they are walking into.

Excellent course

2-4    5/18/2019   5/19/2019
Review By: jcbnxll
Pros: Tee pads - 2 per hole; big, not huge. (I think all 18 holes have two pads now. Dang near, anyway.)
Baskets - Nice baskets in good condition. Most baskets are guarded, even in subtle ways that you don't realize. They did a good job of rewarding players for hitting lines and being on the fairway.
Elevation change - Lots of ups and downs without feeling like you're just traipsing up and down the same dang hill over and over again.
Risk/Reward - This is a big one for me, and I felt like this course is one you could play safe on and throw a bogey-free round (though likely almost no birdies). However, there are some real opportunities to take some risks and try and gain some strokes.
Hole variety - Some wooded (though not tunnel-y) and some wiiiiide open holes, too.
Signage - Those signs are huge and helpful. Between them and the guys on my card, I was able to throw with confidence on every hole.
Seats/Benches - A lot of the holes have some kind of log or bench situation happening. I was very grateful for them.

It's just a good course. If this were your home course and you played it regularly, you'd definitely improve. You'd get in pretty good tournament shape, too, due to its length.
Cons: Forgiving/Par problem - Both cards with whom I played agreed that the course was largely forgiving. Even what I would normally consider very bad drives had lines to get out. Almost none of the holes had "merciless" rough. The par decisions on the holes support the forgiving nature of the course. There are a couple of par 5s on the course that almost everybody birdie'd. And on almost all of the 4s, you could misthrow any one of your throws and still manage to save par pretty easily. On my second round, I only threw one bogey, and a guy on my card had a bogey-free round. Those guys who did get multiple bogeys botched a throw and usually missed a < 20' putt to make it happen (that's what happened on my lone bogey). Obviously you can call every hole a par 3 or 5 or whatever, and all that matters is your total throw count. But, regardless, I felt like the course was forgiving both in par and in layout.
Length - This course is on a big piece of land, and it really sprawls across the whole thing. This makes for some nice holes (majestic, challenging, unique, etc). But I don't think bigger is always better. It's a blast to rip a drive down 16(?), but if Muddy Run were my home course, I would probably skip it regularly. Even with a spotter, we waded through the tall grass to find discs. Without the risk of water on one side or some necessary landing zone, it's just a big dang throw and a pretty easy 4 (par). Especially given my comments about the forgiving nature of the course and the "par problem," I feel like they could have made 20+ holes and made them more engaging.
Elevation - This is small potatoes, but I felt like a lot of holes were either just straight up or straight down one hill. In contrast, the handful of North Carolina courses I've played did a really nice job of throwing over hills or from one hill to another. It makes for interesting shots and more challenging approaches if you miss your line on your drive.
Sign position/orientation - Seriously nit-picky, but why not have the signs positioned in such a way that you can see them from the box? They often have them behind the box facing away from it. So, you can see it as you walk up, and sometimes you can see it from the benches/logs around the teebox. But it's the thrower that needs it the most.
Other Thoughts: The (13 y/o) kid who won the tourney was on my first card, and he had an amazingly long drive (600+ feet on hole 6). He had a complete package, but he could drive that full distance flat, hyzer, or anhyzer. The guy who won my second round card also had a really nice anhyzer drive. It's obviously an important throw to have, but I did feel like the flip-y (RH) backhand drive was very well rewarded on this course.

Somebody else said it, and I'll second it. It's a bummer there's no water on this course. There's literally nothing to be done about it, but it's just a bummer.

My favorite holes were #10 and #4, both from gold. They're very similar, but those were the holes that had the best risk/reward and most punishing roughs. Hit your lines or get a bogey and hit your risky lines and have a birdie chance.

I played two rounds here for a tournament (AM Worlds Preview) on a beautiful day. I normally wouldn't review a course after just two rounds/one day, but the TD was asking people to review. All that is only to say that I'm not a local and only played the course the one day. I had a blast, and if it weren't 2 hours away (w/o traffic) that I would add it to my regular course list. If you're local, you have to get out there. If you're not local, I recommend getting a buddy or two and making a day out of it. Plan on playing two rounds because you'll want "revenge" on a couple of holes. It's totally worth the trip.

Many Run To Muddy Run

1    6/22/2018   7/22/2018
Review By: Ryal
Pros: + All tee pads are solid, sturdy and long contiguous slabs of ribbed concrete. The are generously sized for players like me who take needlessly long wind-ups.
+ Most holes have both long and short tee pads.
+ The 'current tee' signs are among the best I have ever seen at a disc golf course. They contain an overhead satellite view of the general area illustrating the pin and tee pad locations. OB areas are colored differently to make sure the player is aware. In big and bold letters are the hole number, par, distance, and even the elevation change with a helpful vertical cross-section of the terrain ahead. Plus, each hole features a different species of bird and a few paragraphs about them. Cool stuff.
+ All pins are in excellent condition and are equipped with a very tall orange flag at the top to help the player spot it from far away or from a different elevation.
+ The elevation challenges are top-notch. Some are gradual and pleasant. Others are dramatic and dizzying. The flat holes are in the minority here!
+ The fairways are all very well maintained. In the grassy open holes, the wide playing areas were mowed, and the rough was not overgrown or too wild. In the dusty wooded holes, the fairways were as clean as one could expect they could be.
+ The course itself is pretty to take in. Breezy wide open fields and quiet hilly forests wait for you here. A lot of planning has gone into making this course feel as though it is part of the landscape itself.
+ A healthy balance of wide open holes for far-flung drives and wooded holes for precise placement.
+ Get ready for an invigorating walk. 15 of the long tees and 8 of the short tees are longer than 350 feet. Bring water and a snack.
Cons: - The practice pin is a bit removed from the action all by itself in the middle of a circular curb island. I suspect this was done to remind the player what 10 meters feels like, but it looks just plain weird to have the practice tee so far away from everything else.
- There are very few 'next tee' signs. This is mitigated by most tee pads being so close to the previous pin. Plus, the next hole's sign is easily visible with their large fonts. However, I've always said that next tee signs are a simple courtesy for the players' ease of use. First-time players especially will heavily appreciate them if they are there because it takes the guess work out of navigation.
- No water hazards. At a place called 'Muddy Run,' I would have hoped to throw over at least one pond!
Other Thoughts: My favorite holes here were 2 and 16. As I've said in previous reviews, I've got a soft spot for downhill tee-offs, and those two are about as downhill as it gets! If I were forced to choose, I think I would prefer 16 over 2 because 16 has a huge expanse of tall grass that I am sure has swallowed up a fair amount of discs over time. That made it more exciting.
My least favorite hole, if I had to pick one here, might be 9. It is a straight open shot on largely flat ground.

As for the venue as a whole, Muddy Run is a phenomenal disc golf course. Two tee pads per hole mean that even less experienced players can get a round in if they are feeling ambitious enough. Let's be clear; this course is not a simple flat park-style course. Certain holes may feel like that such as holes 6 through 9 with their hybrid-style configurations. But much of it is a test of elevation and/or woods management.

Everyone will find something enjoyable about this course. Wide open fields for your most powerful throws? With or without elevation? Check. Dense woods to practice your tree-dodging skills? With or without elevation? Check.
I will say that I was a bit bummed out when I realized that I wouldn't be throwing over any water. At around hole 10, a player can clearly see a river nearby, yet it is nothing but a tease. So that's kind of a let-down. However, the course manages perfectly well on its own merits without it. There is already enough to worry about without the need for water to be added to the mix!

In case it isn't obvious, I enthusiastically recommend Muddy Run. It's got the hills. It's got the woods. It's got the fields. It's got the distance. It's got the parking. It's even got dozens of pre-made high-quality scorecards.
Bottom line: Go there. Now.

Excellent Course

2-4    6/17/2018   6/18/2018
Review By: listentomorejazz
Pros: - Large, grippy concrete teepads
- Signage is beyond reproach, with terrific detail and fun bird facts
- Great variety between elevation, woods vs open, shot length and types of fairways
- True par 4s and 5s, with the par 3s mostly a challenge
- Largely disc golf only, haven't had to wait for pedestrians except for one strange encounter...
- Baskets are in great shape (course is still new)
- Benches on most holes
- Usually a very well groomed course, but see the cons
Cons: One really has to reach for cons here.
- Single Basket Positions
- There aren't 36 tee pads (yet), but I don't think most beginners will be drawn to this course.
- Combined with the above, there is really only one lay out (but it is awesome)
-Course maintenance can be difficult, with extremely high grass at times
- It sounds ridiculous from a guy who's shot in the 70s two of the three times he's played it, but I feel like parts of this course are too easy, especially for open players. Top level pros would put up some highlight clips here, but that may not be a con for most
- one 18 hole loop, I prefer to be able to stop between nines, but again, I'm reaching for cons here
Other Thoughts: I really, really want to rate this course a 5, but can't bring myself to do it and I'm not fully sure why. It's at least a 4.75, but the lack of water/risk reward OB, a few filler holes (7, 9, 13, 15) and lack of iconic view shed hold me back, along with the fact there aren't 2+ full layouts. 2 and 16 have great top of the world shots, but they look at parking lot or a chain link fence and residential houses.

It cannot be stated enough how much work is going into this course. They have built rock walls on 12 that are quite beautiful, they listened to the previous reviews and improved some landing zones (a definite con on my first time or two out) and there are more benches every time I play.

Absolutely worth making a 2+ hour drive for (and I'm only 45 minutes!)

This course is a physical slog. It does not make a trip back at nine as mentioned above so make sure to take a lot of fluids.

The wind can be absolutely brutal here, like not fun to play in when 10 miles away would be reasonable.

There is also potential for a lost disc in a number of places. Not a con, but definitely worth noting.

< Prev 1 2 3 4