Holtwood, PA
Muddy Run DGC Share
Uploaded By: kurtdemarra Hole #10 (Taken 1/2017)
Hole #10 Gold Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Beginner Friendly? YES

5+    12/24/2017   12/24/2017
Review By: Rhyno1
Pros: The course is a beautiful hike. I see the course as 3 different playing levels. Beginner, (see below), intermediate and pro. I do work on the course and play every week and I always love playing. There is just so much variety.
Cons: On hole 16 the grass can get high and it can be hard to find your disc.
If you line up where your throw lands they can be found pretty easily.
Other Thoughts: Many reviewers have stated that the course is not for beginners. I disagree. I have taken many people on this course who have never played and they had great experience. Here is a way to play 9 holes that avoids the hills and the long holes. When you go into the park past the guard house keep turning right until you come to a pavilion at the top of the hill. Enter the woods here and start on 4 silver. Play 4,5,6 silvers then head to 9 and play thru to 13. Play 7 silver back to the car.

Great course

1    12/21/2017   12/21/2017
Review By: Discgolfer7383
Pros: Clear defined fairways, great signage, multiple baskets, long concrete pads, trash cans .
Cons: I'll be honest this is the first time I have no complaints on a course.
Other Thoughts: We played it mid December so I could see there being high grass or weeds during the summer. I would not recommend the course for a beginner. This is one of the best courses I have played in Pennsylvania by far. It has 2 tees almost every hole, great utilization of elevation, clear defined fairways, has a good mix of wooded and open hole's, all holes have big visible signs. Scorecards are available and a lost disc drop box is also there. We played the silver tee's, but had the chance to look at the long gold tee's. This course will challenge all levels of the game and would highly recommend you play this course. Hats off to the designers of this course great course guys!!

New favorite course!

5+    11/7/2017   11/23/2017
Review By: Crfmdg
Pros: After playing most of the courses in south central Pennsylvania, this one has it all. Excellent layout with a challenging "short" tee pads. World class "long" layout.
Cons: newer players to disc golf might find this course to be more than a challenge.
Other Thoughts: its a hike!!

Incredible challenge

5+    11/12/2017   11/23/2017
Review By: wl_trp
Pros: great layout with a mix of open and wooded holes and elevation changes

excellent baskets

the best signage of any course I've played

silver tees make it approachable to any skill level

orange flags added to hard to see baskets
Cons: Some may find the length and terrain too exhausting

it's a long distance drive for almost anyone.

unfortunately because of park hours, extended rounds may have to be cut short

sometimes not all grass is mowed during summer (not sure if this is being resolved or not)
Other Thoughts: This course has improved so much since opening and will continue to evolve into a world class course. A must play course to anyone in the area and may become a destination course to challenge and golfer.

one of the best

5+    8/26/2017   10/26/2017
Review By: Joshanna
Pros: Lots of variety in shots, open, wooded, uphill and down, bomber shots and technical shots.
Cons: not a whole lot to complain about here. It can be difficult sometimes to find your drives on 16 and 17 if they haven't mowed in a while, but 16 long is still one of my favorite drives
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy the long tees here, this course is really well put together. great job.

Course expertly walks the line between challenging and approachable

5+    10/21/2017   10/23/2017
Review By: alrey
Pros: Muddy Run is easily among the more challenging, high level courses I have gotten to play, but it at the same time manages to be approachable for an intermediate player like myself. This is a course where my rounds are filled equal parts with "How do I execute the shot I need to execute to get my Birdie?" and "I wonder how the pros would attack this one...".

The diversity and elevation is at times daunting, but makes for some interesting and gorgeous shots (especially holes 2, 6, and 16) when coming downhill out of the trees.

The pads and baskets are all excellent, and the tee signs are some of the best I've seen - both in terms of describing the hole, and adding a little bit of extra flavor (native birds) as a distraction if you desire it.

It is also great to see the course continuing to evolve and improve as a response to feedback from the community, and a great corps of dedicated club members. Every time I return to play this course, there seems to be some new lines tidied up, or a new rock wall to guide play.
Cons: There are a couple holes which could benefit from "next tee this way" signage; I recall the 10 - to - 11 transition being a little tricky on my first round.

The high grass is also a disc-eater on holes 16 and 17. I've spent far too long looking for discs that have landed perfectly in my group's line of sight, only to have them swallowed up by the earth in the time it takes to walk to the landing zone. Given the nature of the grass in the area, I don't think this issue is likely to change - it'll be short when it's mowed, and long when it's not.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is just one of the most engaging course I've played, and it keeps me wanting to come back. In isolation, I know I *can* birdie any of the holes, even without a 450' drive or eye-of-the-needle tunnel shot.

Have I? Definitely not. Will I some day? Hopefully. But at least I know I *can*, and that keeps me coming back, because the challenge means it'll be so, so satisfying when I get it.

Beautiful course

1    10/22/2017   10/23/2017
Review By: dpdadv
Pros: Great holes, beautiful scenery, great challenge. The course was clean and well maintained. Easy to know where to go next which I have found is not always a priority at other courses. I am very much a beginner and played from the silvers and at no point did I feel overwhelmed. Course was fair and challenging and a great hike for this out of shape guy
Other Thoughts: Thank you to everyone for the time and effort that was put into this course.

Amazing course

1    7/20/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: I have played courses all over the US and this is one of the best I have ever played. The holes are clean and with a ton of variety, in all areas. The tee signs are massive and easy to see from a far distance and have a lot of good information that's helpful. I definitely consider this the best course in PA
Cons: The was a lot of rocks and in some cases it was right under that basket, which is hard on the putters

fun course

1    8/10/2017   8/10/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Muddy Run is a mostly wooded course set in a mature course with some open holes and some elevation change. For a new course, it is really well maintained. The fairways are well designed, and there is minimal undergrowth. Muddy run has a couple of short par-3s, some longer par-3s, and some multi-shot holes. The front nine in particular is excellent, especially hole 2, a big downhill shot that ends in a grove of trees near the road -- probably the signature hole of the course. The back nine is good as well, but in my opinion feels a bit more repetitive than the front.

All in all, it is a great addition to the area.

Fun course... Very challenging

2-4    7/7/2017   7/21/2017
Review By: Shaunjay
This review was updated on 10/12/2017
Pros: Well planned. Great variety of shots. Challenging, but worth the drive. It's probably designed more for the advanced players, but playing the silver tee pads can be a lot of fun for people new to the sport as well. I personally like to mix up the silver and gold tees on a round for a little bit more variety. This course just has about every shot you could pull out of your bag on it. Some great flick shots, some great backhand shots, turnovers... it's mostly wooded, but has open holes too. I really love playing this course.
Cons: Sometimes the grass in the fields isn't mowed down very well, so you just have to check with the locals to see if anybody's been there recently.

< Prev 1 2 3