Holtwood, PA
Muddy Run DGC Share
Uploaded By: kurtdemarra Hole #4 (Taken 1/2017)

< Prev 1 2 3
Excellent Course

2-4    6/17/2018   6/18/2018
Review By: listentomorejazz
Pros: - Large, grippy concrete teepads
- Signage is beyond reproach, with terrific detail and fun bird facts
- Great variety between elevation, woods vs open, shot length and types of fairways
- True par 4s and 5s, with the par 3s mostly a challenge
- Largely disc golf only, haven't had to wait for pedestrians except for one strange encounter...
- Baskets are in great shape (course is still new)
- Benches on most holes
- Usually a very well groomed course, but see the cons
Cons: One really has to reach for cons here.
- Single Basket Positions
- There aren't 36 tee pads (yet), but I don't think most beginners will be drawn to this course.
- Combined with the above, there is really only one lay out (but it is awesome)
-Course maintenance can be difficult, with extremely high grass at times
- It sounds ridiculous from a guy who's shot in the 70s two of the three times he's played it, but I feel like parts of this course are too easy, especially for open players. Top level pros would put up some highlight clips here, but that may not be a con for most
- one 18 hole loop, I prefer to be able to stop between nines, but again, I'm reaching for cons here
Other Thoughts: I really, really want to rate this course a 5, but can't bring myself to do it and I'm not fully sure why. It's at least a 4.75, but the lack of water/risk reward OB, a few filler holes (7, 9, 13, 15) and lack of iconic view shed hold me back, along with the fact there aren't 2+ full layouts. 2 and 16 have great top of the world shots, but they look at parking lot or a chain link fence and residential houses.

It cannot be stated enough how much work is going into this course. They have built rock walls on 12 that are quite beautiful, they listened to the previous reviews and improved some landing zones (a definite con on my first time or two out) and there are more benches every time I play.

Absolutely worth making a 2+ hour drive for (and I'm only 45 minutes!)

This course is a physical slog. It does not make a trip back at nine as mentioned above so make sure to take a lot of fluids.

The wind can be absolutely brutal here, like not fun to play in when 10 miles away would be reasonable.

There is also potential for a lost disc in a number of places. Not a con, but definitely worth noting.

Distance + Elevation = Great Disc Golf

1    4/29/2018   4/29/2018
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course plays through a wide variety of terrain from wide open to heavily wooded, with plenty of elevation included for even more challenge.

Thirteen of the holes offer two tees, gold and silver. While silver is shorter and "easier" it is still a formidable 6800+ foot, par 61 course. The gold stretches that out to 9000+ feet and par 68 for the full "gold level" experience.

I played from the gold tees, with hole lengths ranging from 242' out to 747', with an average of over 500'. Surprisingly, there are plenty of holes that I drove with putters and midranges because of the small gaps and narrow fairways. But there were enough open holes to allow the drivers to fly as well.

The course offers interesting transitions from Holes 1 & 2 which are partially open and partially wooded with significant elevation to the string of Holes 3, 4 & 5 which are extremely tightly wooded. You break out into the open for Holes 6 - 9 before plunging back into the woods for Holes 10 - 15. Hole 16 is a completely open 737 foot "top of the world" shot which drops 80' to the basket. You play back up that hill for Hole 17 before finishing on the raised basket-on-a-pyramid Hole 18.

Many of the woods holes were very tight, and getting off of the narrow fairway made saving par difficult. Often the smart play was to pitch back into the fairway and proceed from there.

With the elevation on the course there was plenty of rollaway potential near the baskets, with Hole 10 having a significant drop-off just behind the basket.

Fantastic trapezoidal concrete teepads are large with perfect texture. Some of the nicest tee signs in the game with the usual expected information and hole diagram along with a large side panel covering a different local bird species at each hole. Somewhat unusual (and welcome) was the elevation diagram included for each hole.

DGA Mach V baskets catch fine but are tough to spot in the woods. Orange flags on most of the baskets are a big help.

Navigation was excellent with most tee pads being close enough to the previous basket to easily spot. A few baskets had next-tee arrows where there was any question of where to go, and paths between holes were obvious. I didn't have a (usable) map and didn't need one.
Cons: My main con is a couple of the more open holes. Holes 6, 7, 8 and 9 are mostly open and while that is not unwelcome they do stand out as being pretty ordinary.

Hole 3 might benefit from removal of a tree or two as the fairway was extremely tight.
Other Thoughts: There is a huge parking lot adjacent to the DG course. A nearby campground store has bathrooms as well as drinks and snacks if you need a little snack.

There is a kiosk at the beginning of the course with maps and scorecards. The map is disappointing in that the hole numbers are impossible to read.

Sanctuary for Birds and Disc Golfers

1    4/21/2018   4/22/2018
Review By: jrodkelly1
Pros: Design- This course requires every shot in the bag off the tee, you will know it if your approach and putts are off that day because the course will show it.
The Par 4's on this course are top notch par 4's that are designed expertly.
Hole 10 is the greatest Par 4 I've ever played it was my favorite hole overall along with 16.
The course features two Par 5's both are very uniquely shaped for par 5's I'd say they are both true par 5's although they may play a little under par for the top pro.
Hole 14 is the coolest Par 5 you may find anywhere, throw a 220+ foot straight to hyzer finish up hill then throw your disc through a tight steep downhill fairway to shoot yourself down to the basket.
Elevation!- The variety here is top notch especially if you love elevation!
Tee Signs- Some of the best you may ever see, just the fact that they are so huge made them easy to spot and find the tee for the next hole. Love the bird facts too it gives the holes personality.
Navigation- Muddy run is very easy to navigate even without a map. The only holes that took me more that a minute to spot was 10 and 8.
Fairness- Very clean cut fairways even on the wooded holes, also there isnt much thick underbrush to be found. I finished the round pretty quicly parlty because I didnt have to look for any discs for long!
Difficulty- This course is a challenge for anyone but as an intermediate I still had a great time playing the gold tee's there were even birdie oppurtunites for my skill level. A well executed tee shot here still forces you to execute a great upshot and of course make your putt. That being said its not as difficult as say Maple Hill
Beauty- Beautiful piece of property for disc golf you cant ask for much more there is a great view on hole 6 looking towards the lake and 10 has a beautiful green in the woods.
Amenities- They had some nice natural benches on some holes, but the best part was the snack bar. I got excellent french toast sticks to start my round and I was able to eat lunch for cheap afterowords. You can even enjoy a day on the lake when you're there!

Cons: I don't have many cons to list but I will say a couple of things that I think the course designer can improve on. This course deserves to be a PDGA tour destination!

This is a negative and a postive for some, no water features on the course, but it is surrounded by a lake.
The Par 3's on this course are a little easy for a gold level course. Hole 9, comes to mind and the low ceiling short hole 13. I think if these holes made the player decide I'm going to lay up for par or go for it it would be better. Im an intermediate player and I went for birdie on every single par 3. My favorite par 3's to least favorite were 6, 18, 7, 5, 9, 13. I think this could be remedied if some of these holes were just a little bit longer or required a tighter line.
This is nit picky and doesn't necessarily need change because they didnt do it in the way that made it feel repetitive. But hole 14-17 is uphill downhill, uphill, downhill, uphill. Although they have an excellent design so it didnt retract from my rating of this course.
Other Thoughts: I was blown away by the beauty of this course and how much fun it was. After I was done I immediately wanted to play again. That says a lot about a course that is so long and elevated.
This course really shines with its amazing par 4's they are all some of the best I've ever played.
The Par 5's are really unique as well and I enjoyed them .
Muddy Run has something special to offer for every disc golfer. If you are in Pennsylvania don't miss out on this course it could be very well the best course in Pennsylvania after a few more reviews.

Beginner Friendly? YES

5+    12/24/2017   12/24/2017
Review By: Rhyno1
Pros: The course is a beautiful hike. I see the course as 3 different playing levels. Beginner, (see below), intermediate and pro. I do work on the course and play every week and I always love playing. There is just so much variety.
Cons: On hole 16 the grass can get high and it can be hard to find your disc.
If you line up where your throw lands they can be found pretty easily.
Other Thoughts: Many reviewers have stated that the course is not for beginners. I disagree. I have taken many people on this course who have never played and they had great experience. Here is a way to play 9 holes that avoids the hills and the long holes. When you go into the park past the guard house keep turning right until you come to a pavilion at the top of the hill. Enter the woods here and start on 4 silver. Play 4,5,6 silvers then head to 9 and play thru to 13. Play 7 silver back to the car.

Great course

1    12/21/2017   12/21/2017
Review By: Discgolfer7383
Pros: Clear defined fairways, great signage, multiple baskets, long concrete pads, trash cans .
Cons: I'll be honest this is the first time I have no complaints on a course.
Other Thoughts: We played it mid December so I could see there being high grass or weeds during the summer. I would not recommend the course for a beginner. This is one of the best courses I have played in Pennsylvania by far. It has 2 tees almost every hole, great utilization of elevation, clear defined fairways, has a good mix of wooded and open hole's, all holes have big visible signs. Scorecards are available and a lost disc drop box is also there. We played the silver tee's, but had the chance to look at the long gold tee's. This course will challenge all levels of the game and would highly recommend you play this course. Hats off to the designers of this course great course guys!!

New favorite course!

5+    11/7/2017   11/23/2017
Review By: Crfmdg
Pros: After playing most of the courses in south central Pennsylvania, this one has it all. Excellent layout with a challenging "short" tee pads. World class "long" layout.
Cons: newer players to disc golf might find this course to be more than a challenge.
Other Thoughts: its a hike!!

Incredible challenge

5+    11/12/2017   11/23/2017
Review By: wl_trp
Pros: great layout with a mix of open and wooded holes and elevation changes

excellent baskets

the best signage of any course I've played

silver tees make it approachable to any skill level

orange flags added to hard to see baskets
Cons: Some may find the length and terrain too exhausting

it's a long distance drive for almost anyone.

unfortunately because of park hours, extended rounds may have to be cut short

sometimes not all grass is mowed during summer (not sure if this is being resolved or not)
Other Thoughts: This course has improved so much since opening and will continue to evolve into a world class course. A must play course to anyone in the area and may become a destination course to challenge and golfer.

one of the best

5+    8/26/2017   10/26/2017
Review By: Joshanna
Pros: Lots of variety in shots, open, wooded, uphill and down, bomber shots and technical shots.
Cons: not a whole lot to complain about here. It can be difficult sometimes to find your drives on 16 and 17 if they haven't mowed in a while, but 16 long is still one of my favorite drives
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy the long tees here, this course is really well put together. great job.

Course expertly walks the line between challenging and approachable

5+    10/21/2017   10/23/2017
Review By: alrey
Pros: Muddy Run is easily among the more challenging, high level courses I have gotten to play, but it at the same time manages to be approachable for an intermediate player like myself. This is a course where my rounds are filled equal parts with "How do I execute the shot I need to execute to get my Birdie?" and "I wonder how the pros would attack this one...".

The diversity and elevation is at times daunting, but makes for some interesting and gorgeous shots (especially holes 2, 6, and 16) when coming downhill out of the trees.

The pads and baskets are all excellent, and the tee signs are some of the best I've seen - both in terms of describing the hole, and adding a little bit of extra flavor (native birds) as a distraction if you desire it.

It is also great to see the course continuing to evolve and improve as a response to feedback from the community, and a great corps of dedicated club members. Every time I return to play this course, there seems to be some new lines tidied up, or a new rock wall to guide play.
Cons: There are a couple holes which could benefit from "next tee this way" signage; I recall the 10 - to - 11 transition being a little tricky on my first round.

The high grass is also a disc-eater on holes 16 and 17. I've spent far too long looking for discs that have landed perfectly in my group's line of sight, only to have them swallowed up by the earth in the time it takes to walk to the landing zone. Given the nature of the grass in the area, I don't think this issue is likely to change - it'll be short when it's mowed, and long when it's not.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is just one of the most engaging course I've played, and it keeps me wanting to come back. In isolation, I know I *can* birdie any of the holes, even without a 450' drive or eye-of-the-needle tunnel shot.

Have I? Definitely not. Will I some day? Hopefully. But at least I know I *can*, and that keeps me coming back, because the challenge means it'll be so, so satisfying when I get it.

Beautiful course

1    10/22/2017   10/23/2017
Review By: dpdadv
Pros: Great holes, beautiful scenery, great challenge. The course was clean and well maintained. Easy to know where to go next which I have found is not always a priority at other courses. I am very much a beginner and played from the silvers and at no point did I feel overwhelmed. Course was fair and challenging and a great hike for this out of shape guy
Other Thoughts: Thank you to everyone for the time and effort that was put into this course.

< Prev 1 2 3