Holtwood, PA
Muddy Run DGC Share
Uploaded By: kurtdemarra Hole #13 (Taken 1/2017)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Awesome Scenic Course

1    7/2/2019   7/9/2019
Review By: where'sfinn
Pros: The signage is one of a kind because it has:
a. Wildlife that can be found in the park on each sign, with
a description of the animal
b. elevation change
c. the total feet both too the basket and from the tee pad at
the start of a turn
Epic holes that have huge downhill shots.
Multiple concrete tee pads.
Great mix of tight technical shots vs big bombs.
Good mix of par 3's, 4's, and 5's.
Great elevation change.
Not crowded.
Very peaceful and scenic.
Benches on a lot of the holes.
Cons: No trashcans
One pin per hole
Other Thoughts: The park also has foot golf, which would be awesome to play too!

Almost

1    5/25/2019   5/29/2019
Review By: toddnick
This review was updated on 6/6/2019
Pros: - The course sits in a gorgeous park
- Variety of holes: short/long, hyzer/anhyzer, open/wooded
- Use of elevation: adds a tremendous amount of challenge
- Amenities: great tee pads, tee signs, baskets
- Though a newer course, the rough isn't an issue in most places
- Highlight holes: I loved holes 10 and 14, and really liked many of the others
Cons: One big con that took this course from about a 4.75 down to a 4 rating for me. The high grass on the last 3 holes.

On 16, you tee off from an awesome elevated tee to a blind landing area in a non-fairway (there is none). It is simply a field of knee-high (or higher) grass. With depth perception difficult due to a lack of markers (just grass), I spent 15 minutes looking for my disc and could have spent longer.

On 17, you have a 10 foot wide mowed section with the same high grass on both sides for several hundred feet. I just skipped this part as I didn't want another disc hunt.

On 18, it is less bad, but you can easily end up in the same type fields of grass.

Other Thoughts: The last 3 holes were a big letdown for me; the rest of the course was fantastic and among the best that I have played.

6/6/19 - I just updated the course from 4 to 4.5 stars as I was informed that the high grass on the last three holes is temporary every year (it is grown and harvested every year to feed deer the rest of the year) and is completely mowed every year after Memorial Day. So, for the rest of the year it is a 4.5 star course. It would be nice if this policy was posted so that golfers early in the year are aware of what they are walking into.

Excellent course

2-4    5/18/2019   5/19/2019
Review By: jcbnxll
Pros: Tee pads - 2 per hole; big, not huge. (I think all 18 holes have two pads now. Dang near, anyway.)
Baskets - Nice baskets in good condition. Most baskets are guarded, even in subtle ways that you don't realize. They did a good job of rewarding players for hitting lines and being on the fairway.
Elevation change - Lots of ups and downs without feeling like you're just traipsing up and down the same dang hill over and over again.
Risk/Reward - This is a big one for me, and I felt like this course is one you could play safe on and throw a bogey-free round (though likely almost no birdies). However, there are some real opportunities to take some risks and try and gain some strokes.
Hole variety - Some wooded (though not tunnel-y) and some wiiiiide open holes, too.
Signage - Those signs are huge and helpful. Between them and the guys on my card, I was able to throw with confidence on every hole.
Seats/Benches - A lot of the holes have some kind of log or bench situation happening. I was very grateful for them.

It's just a good course. If this were your home course and you played it regularly, you'd definitely improve. You'd get in pretty good tournament shape, too, due to its length.
Cons: Forgiving/Par problem - Both cards with whom I played agreed that the course was largely forgiving. Even what I would normally consider very bad drives had lines to get out. Almost none of the holes had "merciless" rough. The par decisions on the holes support the forgiving nature of the course. There are a couple of par 5s on the course that almost everybody birdie'd. And on almost all of the 4s, you could misthrow any one of your throws and still manage to save par pretty easily. On my second round, I only threw one bogey, and a guy on my card had a bogey-free round. Those guys who did get multiple bogeys botched a throw and usually missed a < 20' putt to make it happen (that's what happened on my lone bogey). Obviously you can call every hole a par 3 or 5 or whatever, and all that matters is your total throw count. But, regardless, I felt like the course was forgiving both in par and in layout.
Length - This course is on a big piece of land, and it really sprawls across the whole thing. This makes for some nice holes (majestic, challenging, unique, etc). But I don't think bigger is always better. It's a blast to rip a drive down 16(?), but if Muddy Run were my home course, I would probably skip it regularly. Even with a spotter, we waded through the tall grass to find discs. Without the risk of water on one side or some necessary landing zone, it's just a big dang throw and a pretty easy 4 (par). Especially given my comments about the forgiving nature of the course and the "par problem," I feel like they could have made 20+ holes and made them more engaging.
Elevation - This is small potatoes, but I felt like a lot of holes were either just straight up or straight down one hill. In contrast, the handful of North Carolina courses I've played did a really nice job of throwing over hills or from one hill to another. It makes for interesting shots and more challenging approaches if you miss your line on your drive.
Sign position/orientation - Seriously nit-picky, but why not have the signs positioned in such a way that you can see them from the box? They often have them behind the box facing away from it. So, you can see it as you walk up, and sometimes you can see it from the benches/logs around the teebox. But it's the thrower that needs it the most.
Other Thoughts: The (13 y/o) kid who won the tourney was on my first card, and he had an amazingly long drive (600+ feet on hole 6). He had a complete package, but he could drive that full distance flat, hyzer, or anhyzer. The guy who won my second round card also had a really nice anhyzer drive. It's obviously an important throw to have, but I did feel like the flip-y (RH) backhand drive was very well rewarded on this course.

Somebody else said it, and I'll second it. It's a bummer there's no water on this course. There's literally nothing to be done about it, but it's just a bummer.

My favorite holes were #10 and #4, both from gold. They're very similar, but those were the holes that had the best risk/reward and most punishing roughs. Hit your lines or get a bogey and hit your risky lines and have a birdie chance.

I played two rounds here for a tournament (AM Worlds Preview) on a beautiful day. I normally wouldn't review a course after just two rounds/one day, but the TD was asking people to review. All that is only to say that I'm not a local and only played the course the one day. I had a blast, and if it weren't 2 hours away (w/o traffic) that I would add it to my regular course list. If you're local, you have to get out there. If you're not local, I recommend getting a buddy or two and making a day out of it. Plan on playing two rounds because you'll want "revenge" on a couple of holes. It's totally worth the trip.

Many Run To Muddy Run

1    6/22/2018   7/22/2018
Review By: Ryal
Pros: + All tee pads are solid, sturdy and long contiguous slabs of ribbed concrete. The are generously sized for players like me who take needlessly long wind-ups.
+ Most holes have both long and short tee pads.
+ The 'current tee' signs are among the best I have ever seen at a disc golf course. They contain an overhead satellite view of the general area illustrating the pin and tee pad locations. OB areas are colored differently to make sure the player is aware. In big and bold letters are the hole number, par, distance, and even the elevation change with a helpful vertical cross-section of the terrain ahead. Plus, each hole features a different species of bird and a few paragraphs about them. Cool stuff.
+ All pins are in excellent condition and are equipped with a very tall orange flag at the top to help the player spot it from far away or from a different elevation.
+ The elevation challenges are top-notch. Some are gradual and pleasant. Others are dramatic and dizzying. The flat holes are in the minority here!
+ The fairways are all very well maintained. In the grassy open holes, the wide playing areas were mowed, and the rough was not overgrown or too wild. In the dusty wooded holes, the fairways were as clean as one could expect they could be.
+ The course itself is pretty to take in. Breezy wide open fields and quiet hilly forests wait for you here. A lot of planning has gone into making this course feel as though it is part of the landscape itself.
+ A healthy balance of wide open holes for far-flung drives and wooded holes for precise placement.
+ Get ready for an invigorating walk. 15 of the long tees and 8 of the short tees are longer than 350 feet. Bring water and a snack.
Cons: - The practice pin is a bit removed from the action all by itself in the middle of a circular curb island. I suspect this was done to remind the player what 10 meters feels like, but it looks just plain weird to have the practice tee so far away from everything else.
- There are very few 'next tee' signs. This is mitigated by most tee pads being so close to the previous pin. Plus, the next hole's sign is easily visible with their large fonts. However, I've always said that next tee signs are a simple courtesy for the players' ease of use. First-time players especially will heavily appreciate them if they are there because it takes the guess work out of navigation.
- No water hazards. At a place called 'Muddy Run,' I would have hoped to throw over at least one pond!
Other Thoughts: My favorite holes here were 2 and 16. As I've said in previous reviews, I've got a soft spot for downhill tee-offs, and those two are about as downhill as it gets! If I were forced to choose, I think I would prefer 16 over 2 because 16 has a huge expanse of tall grass that I am sure has swallowed up a fair amount of discs over time. That made it more exciting.
My least favorite hole, if I had to pick one here, might be 9. It is a straight open shot on largely flat ground.

As for the venue as a whole, Muddy Run is a phenomenal disc golf course. Two tee pads per hole mean that even less experienced players can get a round in if they are feeling ambitious enough. Let's be clear; this course is not a simple flat park-style course. Certain holes may feel like that such as holes 6 through 9 with their hybrid-style configurations. But much of it is a test of elevation and/or woods management.

Everyone will find something enjoyable about this course. Wide open fields for your most powerful throws? With or without elevation? Check. Dense woods to practice your tree-dodging skills? With or without elevation? Check.
I will say that I was a bit bummed out when I realized that I wouldn't be throwing over any water. At around hole 10, a player can clearly see a river nearby, yet it is nothing but a tease. So that's kind of a let-down. However, the course manages perfectly well on its own merits without it. There is already enough to worry about without the need for water to be added to the mix!

In case it isn't obvious, I enthusiastically recommend Muddy Run. It's got the hills. It's got the woods. It's got the fields. It's got the distance. It's got the parking. It's even got dozens of pre-made high-quality scorecards.
Bottom line: Go there. Now.

Excellent Course

2-4    6/17/2018   6/18/2018
Review By: listentomorejazz
Pros: - Large, grippy concrete teepads
- Signage is beyond reproach, with terrific detail and fun bird facts
- Great variety between elevation, woods vs open, shot length and types of fairways
- True par 4s and 5s, with the par 3s mostly a challenge
- Largely disc golf only, haven't had to wait for pedestrians except for one strange encounter...
- Baskets are in great shape (course is still new)
- Benches on most holes
- Usually a very well groomed course, but see the cons
Cons: One really has to reach for cons here.
- Single Basket Positions
- There aren't 36 tee pads (yet), but I don't think most beginners will be drawn to this course.
- Combined with the above, there is really only one lay out (but it is awesome)
-Course maintenance can be difficult, with extremely high grass at times
- It sounds ridiculous from a guy who's shot in the 70s two of the three times he's played it, but I feel like parts of this course are too easy, especially for open players. Top level pros would put up some highlight clips here, but that may not be a con for most
- one 18 hole loop, I prefer to be able to stop between nines, but again, I'm reaching for cons here
Other Thoughts: I really, really want to rate this course a 5, but can't bring myself to do it and I'm not fully sure why. It's at least a 4.75, but the lack of water/risk reward OB, a few filler holes (7, 9, 13, 15) and lack of iconic view shed hold me back, along with the fact there aren't 2+ full layouts. 2 and 16 have great top of the world shots, but they look at parking lot or a chain link fence and residential houses.

It cannot be stated enough how much work is going into this course. They have built rock walls on 12 that are quite beautiful, they listened to the previous reviews and improved some landing zones (a definite con on my first time or two out) and there are more benches every time I play.

Absolutely worth making a 2+ hour drive for (and I'm only 45 minutes!)

This course is a physical slog. It does not make a trip back at nine as mentioned above so make sure to take a lot of fluids.

The wind can be absolutely brutal here, like not fun to play in when 10 miles away would be reasonable.

There is also potential for a lost disc in a number of places. Not a con, but definitely worth noting.

Distance + Elevation = Great Disc Golf

1    4/29/2018   4/29/2018
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course plays through a wide variety of terrain from wide open to heavily wooded, with plenty of elevation included for even more challenge.

Thirteen of the holes offer two tees, gold and silver. While silver is shorter and "easier" it is still a formidable 6800+ foot, par 61 course. The gold stretches that out to 9000+ feet and par 68 for the full "gold level" experience.

I played from the gold tees, with hole lengths ranging from 242' out to 747', with an average of over 500'. Surprisingly, there are plenty of holes that I drove with putters and midranges because of the small gaps and narrow fairways. But there were enough open holes to allow the drivers to fly as well.

The course offers interesting transitions from Holes 1 & 2 which are partially open and partially wooded with significant elevation to the string of Holes 3, 4 & 5 which are extremely tightly wooded. You break out into the open for Holes 6 - 9 before plunging back into the woods for Holes 10 - 15. Hole 16 is a completely open 737 foot "top of the world" shot which drops 80' to the basket. You play back up that hill for Hole 17 before finishing on the raised basket-on-a-pyramid Hole 18.

Many of the woods holes were very tight, and getting off of the narrow fairway made saving par difficult. Often the smart play was to pitch back into the fairway and proceed from there.

With the elevation on the course there was plenty of rollaway potential near the baskets, with Hole 10 having a significant drop-off just behind the basket.

Fantastic trapezoidal concrete teepads are large with perfect texture. Some of the nicest tee signs in the game with the usual expected information and hole diagram along with a large side panel covering a different local bird species at each hole. Somewhat unusual (and welcome) was the elevation diagram included for each hole.

DGA Mach V baskets catch fine but are tough to spot in the woods. Orange flags on most of the baskets are a big help.

Navigation was excellent with most tee pads being close enough to the previous basket to easily spot. A few baskets had next-tee arrows where there was any question of where to go, and paths between holes were obvious. I didn't have a (usable) map and didn't need one.
Cons: My main con is a couple of the more open holes. Holes 6, 7, 8 and 9 are mostly open and while that is not unwelcome they do stand out as being pretty ordinary.

Hole 3 might benefit from removal of a tree or two as the fairway was extremely tight.
Other Thoughts: There is a huge parking lot adjacent to the DG course. A nearby campground store has bathrooms as well as drinks and snacks if you need a little snack.

There is a kiosk at the beginning of the course with maps and scorecards. The map is disappointing in that the hole numbers are impossible to read.

Sanctuary for Birds and Disc Golfers

1    4/21/2018   4/22/2018
Review By: jrodkelly1
Pros: Design- This course requires every shot in the bag off the tee, you will know it if your approach and putts are off that day because the course will show it.
The Par 4's on this course are top notch par 4's that are designed expertly.
Hole 10 is the greatest Par 4 I've ever played it was my favorite hole overall along with 16.
The course features two Par 5's both are very uniquely shaped for par 5's I'd say they are both true par 5's although they may play a little under par for the top pro.
Hole 14 is the coolest Par 5 you may find anywhere, throw a 220+ foot straight to hyzer finish up hill then throw your disc through a tight steep downhill fairway to shoot yourself down to the basket.
Elevation!- The variety here is top notch especially if you love elevation!
Tee Signs- Some of the best you may ever see, just the fact that they are so huge made them easy to spot and find the tee for the next hole. Love the bird facts too it gives the holes personality.
Navigation- Muddy run is very easy to navigate even without a map. The only holes that took me more that a minute to spot was 10 and 8.
Fairness- Very clean cut fairways even on the wooded holes, also there isnt much thick underbrush to be found. I finished the round pretty quicly parlty because I didnt have to look for any discs for long!
Difficulty- This course is a challenge for anyone but as an intermediate I still had a great time playing the gold tee's there were even birdie oppurtunites for my skill level. A well executed tee shot here still forces you to execute a great upshot and of course make your putt. That being said its not as difficult as say Maple Hill
Beauty- Beautiful piece of property for disc golf you cant ask for much more there is a great view on hole 6 looking towards the lake and 10 has a beautiful green in the woods.
Amenities- They had some nice natural benches on some holes, but the best part was the snack bar. I got excellent french toast sticks to start my round and I was able to eat lunch for cheap afterowords. You can even enjoy a day on the lake when you're there!

Cons: I don't have many cons to list but I will say a couple of things that I think the course designer can improve on. This course deserves to be a PDGA tour destination!

This is a negative and a postive for some, no water features on the course, but it is surrounded by a lake.
The Par 3's on this course are a little easy for a gold level course. Hole 9, comes to mind and the low ceiling short hole 13. I think if these holes made the player decide I'm going to lay up for par or go for it it would be better. Im an intermediate player and I went for birdie on every single par 3. My favorite par 3's to least favorite were 6, 18, 7, 5, 9, 13. I think this could be remedied if some of these holes were just a little bit longer or required a tighter line.
This is nit picky and doesn't necessarily need change because they didnt do it in the way that made it feel repetitive. But hole 14-17 is uphill downhill, uphill, downhill, uphill. Although they have an excellent design so it didnt retract from my rating of this course.
Other Thoughts: I was blown away by the beauty of this course and how much fun it was. After I was done I immediately wanted to play again. That says a lot about a course that is so long and elevated.
This course really shines with its amazing par 4's they are all some of the best I've ever played.
The Par 5's are really unique as well and I enjoyed them .
Muddy Run has something special to offer for every disc golfer. If you are in Pennsylvania don't miss out on this course it could be very well the best course in Pennsylvania after a few more reviews.

Beginner Friendly? YES

5+    12/24/2017   12/24/2017
Review By: Rhyno1
Pros: The course is a beautiful hike. I see the course as 3 different playing levels. Beginner, (see below), intermediate and pro. I do work on the course and play every week and I always love playing. There is just so much variety.
Cons: On hole 16 the grass can get high and it can be hard to find your disc.
If you line up where your throw lands they can be found pretty easily.
Other Thoughts: Many reviewers have stated that the course is not for beginners. I disagree. I have taken many people on this course who have never played and they had great experience. Here is a way to play 9 holes that avoids the hills and the long holes. When you go into the park past the guard house keep turning right until you come to a pavilion at the top of the hill. Enter the woods here and start on 4 silver. Play 4,5,6 silvers then head to 9 and play thru to 13. Play 7 silver back to the car.

Great course

1    12/21/2017   12/21/2017
Review By: Discgolfer7383
Pros: Clear defined fairways, great signage, multiple baskets, long concrete pads, trash cans .
Cons: I'll be honest this is the first time I have no complaints on a course.
Other Thoughts: We played it mid December so I could see there being high grass or weeds during the summer. I would not recommend the course for a beginner. This is one of the best courses I have played in Pennsylvania by far. It has 2 tees almost every hole, great utilization of elevation, clear defined fairways, has a good mix of wooded and open hole's, all holes have big visible signs. Scorecards are available and a lost disc drop box is also there. We played the silver tee's, but had the chance to look at the long gold tee's. This course will challenge all levels of the game and would highly recommend you play this course. Hats off to the designers of this course great course guys!!

New favorite course!

5+    11/7/2017   11/23/2017
Review By: Crfmdg
Pros: After playing most of the courses in south central Pennsylvania, this one has it all. Excellent layout with a challenging "short" tee pads. World class "long" layout.
Cons: newer players to disc golf might find this course to be more than a challenge.
Other Thoughts: its a hike!!

< Prev 1 2 3 4