Tallahassee, FL
Tom Brown Park Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #6 (Taken 5/2017)
Hole #6 Blue Tee

Brown is not Bland 4.25

5+    9/7/2017   9/8/2017
Review By: jrodkelly1
Pros: The Baskets are all in great shape
Some of the best tees I've played on. The Parks and Rec in Tallahassee cares about Disc Golf
Great mix of terrain
Plenty of challenging wooded shots
Great elevation for Florida
The Am and Pro tees both offer a challenge
It's a busy park but people rarely get in the way
Lots of beautiful and signature holes
The Letter holes have a great and challenging design

Cons: Sometimes they let the grass get too high on Hole B and C
The course ends with not as much shade as it starts, but it's Florida it is going to be hot
I wish they utilized the lake on a hole
There are a couple of impossible birdies from the Am tees
The long pin on hole 4 could use some clearing out
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is great and a lot of fun to play. In the summer it can really zap your energy don't you dare forget your water bottle. The best holes on the course are 8, 9, A, C, E,F,and 18. This is one of my favorite courses I've played, I'm a sucker for beautiful courses so this course isn't my absolute favorite since it isn't stunning like some other courses I've played, but it is a great compliment to Jack Mclean in my opinion.

Review of New Layout

5+    7/24/2017   7/26/2017
Review By: McBuckleson
Pros: For Florida, great elevation change.
New layout provides nice shade.
Awesome use of the Park, not intrusive to other park users
Cons: Old layout allowed you to start on hole 1 or hole 9
The heavily wooded areas have vines, poison ivy etc.

What can Brown do for you?

1    7/23/2017   7/24/2017
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- free to play
- more holes to throw than you can shake a stick at
- quality concrete tees, large
- multiple tees
- informative tee signs listing distances, fairways shapes, and possible pin positions
- lots of variations in elevation
- lots of distance variation
- lots of fairway technicality
- plenty of risk/reward
- quality baskets, numbered/lettered
- challenging layouts
- designers did a great job of placing tees in the available shade
- well maintained course
- intuitive layout, though the letter thing was a little confusing
- bathrooms on location
- course ends at near parking lot.
- minimal pedestrian traffic for such a popular multi use park
Cons:

- some signs missing, some damaged, all could use a pin indicators where multiple pins were present
- not all holes have multiple pins
- not well suited for all levels
- lacked directional signage between holes
- I personally didn't like hole 4
- not very punitive towards the end of the course
- could use more benches
- course doesn't loop back to the parking lot half way through.

Tom Brown is a long, difficult, hilly course. It starts out simple and unassuming at first, then plunges players into more technical gameplay. Once in the woods, players will be fighting for pars and praying for birdie chances. I had my hands full playing from mostly Am tees. All the ups and downs had me sweating like OJ Simpson at a parole hearing. The risk reward was plentiful, but landing drives to position yourself for the next shot was often the best practice. I was very impressed with how challenging these fairways were, even on holes without much rough. It was a well rounded experience, indeed. The course forced me to use my whole tournament bag setup. On top of that, Tom Brown was immaculately maintained and scenic. A roller deuce I received on hole 15 from Ams was my shot of the round

An area that needs improvement is the signage situation. Many tee signs had weird orientation, or were behind the pads. Players couldn't size up the fairway distances or pin positions while on the pad. They had to step off it and walk back to take a gaze at the sign. This isn't a huge con, but it's worth noting. Also, a bunch of Am pads lacked tee signs. It would be nice if there were pin position indicators on signs too, especially for holes with blind pin positions. The directional arrows attached to the basket were comprised of laminated paper. Some were missing, I imagine they got wet and fell off.

If pressed for additional cons, I'd probably site some from a recreational players standpoint. Am tees weren't an easy go for the lower skilled players in general. If there were descending tee offs, it was an experience disproportionately hogged by the Pro pads. It seemed like the Ams threw uphill more than the Pros. Mixing in a couple shorter holes would have a nice break from the distance heavy course theme, too. I could have done without hole 4 in general. A lot of laying up and luck is involved to successfully throw that pain of a fairway.

Overall, Tom Brown is truly an amazing course. There's variations in length, technicality, changes elevation, and the park was well maintained during my visit. A few minor details could to be improved, but for the most part a majority of course aspects were executed quite well. I feel comfortable rating T.B. a 4, which is the highest rating I've personally given a course on DGCR. It compared well my personal favorites. I'd probably try to use a cart if I came here again, even though some areas look less than ideal for one. Walking up and down the terrain with a fully loaded bag forced me to skimp on water my supply. I was dying of thirst and exhaustion halfway through the course. Show up early to avoid the crowds and the heat.

If you enjoy a little historical sight seeing with your course traveling, then I recommend driving over to the Mission of San Luis . Admission is cheap, like 5$ (free for military). There's a bunch of interesting stuff to meander through. They have wide concrete walkways, an intuitive layout, and informative signage. The thatched huts and building recreations were very authentic. I'd give that place 4 out of 5 arrowheads.

One of the Best in Florida

2-4    5/21/2017   6/14/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.269 Rating) A new design and among the best courses in the State of Florida. As of this review, I've played 7 of the top 10 rated Florida courses listed on this site, and I rank Tom Brown above all of them. (Picnic, Ocala Greenway, River City - Alpha, T2, Taylor, Cliff Stevens and Cypress Point)
- EPIC HOLES - The course starts off fairly standard. A couple open shots, and few moderate pockets to hit and a couple tunnel shots. But once I hit hole (8) my jaw dropped, as there was an amazing run of awesome tee shots. Several holes on this course could be the signature hole on 80 percent of the courses out there. I keep a running list of my favorite 50 holes ever played (over 1800 unique holes played as of this review), and I placed 3 holes at Tom Brown into the list. Hole 'C' is my personal favorite, where it's a 150 foot long tunnel shot atop a ridge and over a creek and into a meadow. The next shot to the basket plays across a shallow cheek and is well guarded by numerous pines. Another shallow creek lies beyond as well for those that are too aggressive.
- HOLES A THRU F - The course is laid out in a way so that when one finishes hole (9) they can either play a loop of six bonus holes labeled (A, B, C, D, E, F) or move right onto (10). Do not skip these holes. IMO, 5 of the best 9 holes at Tom Brown are in this loop.
- TEES - Wow did this course drop some money on the redesign of the tees. Long and wide for both pros and ams. In addition, several tees are on raised platforms boxed by heavy timbers. I'd personally found them to be the best tees I ever played on as of this review. (119 courses)
- CHARACTER - In addition to the amazing tees, Tom Brown has a lot of the niceties that you'd except of an established course with a great club presence. Practice basket, community board, course map (see cons), tables, benches, shelters, hole signage, multiple pin placements, brand new baskets and a disc return box. It could use a few more benches however, as it's a long course.
- CHALLENGING - Not as challenging as nearby Jack McLean, but the challenge from the backs will still very much push your typical advanced player to break par. At the 2017 Tally open, and with all placements in the far position, only 17 of the 39 open players broke par on their round (par 81). The round was officially rated at 984, ie shooting even par got you that rating.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Tom Brown is ideal for a wide swath of skill levels. The red tees are perfect for Rec and intermediate players. I could also see beginners enjoying it as well with a skip of the bonus holes.
- ELEVATION FOR FLORIDA - Among the biggest elevation changes I've seen on Florida course (78 Florida courses played as of this review). There are several holes that change by over 30 feet and a couple are in the 40 foot range. Still not as much as the courses 4 hours to the north but a welcome surprise to those expecting just another flat Florida course.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Some pretty amazing scenery on many of the holes. The best part is clearly the middle portion. I'd give the stretch of holes, 7 thru 11 (includes hole A thru F) 4.5/5. But the rest of the course does bring it back a little. The abandoned tee pads are a minor eyesore. Some may also consider the power lines running down holes (A and B) to be less than ideal, but IMO the power line path offered up its space for a wonderful wide dogleg right down shot.
- NAVIGATION - Be sure and download the DGCR map. If you do so, you should have no issues navigating this course solo and first time. Next tee is also indicated on the hole signage.
- EVENTS - This course is known to hold major tournaments in the region and state. So if you're into tournaments you'll want to schedule a weekend here.
Cons: A phenomenal course with only ticky tack issues.
- COURSE MAP - Again, be sure and download the course map on DGCR, its correct and very useful. However, the map at the community board is still showing the old layout as of Mid-May. This can be very confusing to players who don't know about the map on this site.
- PAR - I don't understand the par switching at some holes. There are several holes where the par will switch from a par 3 to a par 4 for the pro tees (blue) depending on basket location. Yet the ams tees (red) will stay a par 3. Hole (E) is a good example of this where the farther pin placement from the pro tee is a par 4 at 480 feet, yet from the ams its a par 3 at 415 feet.
- PARKING - Despite all the money dropped to revise this course, one thing that didn't change was the horrible parking area. pitting, uneven and unpaved. Thankfully for the courses sake, it only affected my rating of the course by .03 points.
- TIME PLAY - This beast is going to take some time out of your day, which can play sometimes at over 10,000 feet from the back tees. I ran between some holes and it still took me nearly 90 minutes to complete this one. Figure your average group of 4 skilled players will play this in 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Other Thoughts: I was saddened when I heard that this course was redesigned (4 or 5 holes are still the same). Why redesign an excellent course? Well, I was truly surprised and impressed by the changes. I played the redesigned Tom Brown twice just to be sure of my initial thoughts and was rewarded with moved basket placements on my second time thru. So I think I've gotten the full experience of the course. In all, I think just about everyone will love playing this course. It's one of those courses that you'll play again and again in your dreams for many days after. Tom Brown is the 3rd course I've given a 4.5 rating, and this is my 93rd review.

Absolutely Great course

1    5/27/2017   5/27/2017
Review By: drew2000
Pros: This is probably as of the time I'm writing this, the best course I have ever played. There are a lot of great holes here that make you think "wow this is a great hole".

Brand new tee pads on almost almost every single hole, and brand new Discatcher baskets.
Cons: There is still some overgrowth that makes it extremely difficult if you get off the fairway, but that just forces you to make great shots, and is not necessarily a bad thing.
Other Thoughts: I would go out of my way to play this course any chance I get

2-4    3/18/2017   3/20/2017
Review By: cdamon
Pros: I played the course on two different days, each time from the long tees. There's a nice variety of terrain: relatively open holes, tight wooded holes, and rolling hills. There are a lot of long drives, but they all require some control. The gaps are generally reasonable and fair. The tee pads are generally huge, and the course is not too hard to navigate for a first-timer. The course is well-maintained.
Cons: Hole letters are mixed with numbers, which is a bit confusing. Since many holes have alternate positions, it would be nice to have an indicator on the tee for the current position.

All around solid course

2-4    2/5/2017   2/7/2017
Review By: BangTheGodDamnChains
Pros: - Quite technical, even from the short pads.
- Beautiful park which is very well maintained by the city and club.
- Such a variety of shots with quite a handful of shots favoring the LHBH thrower
- Good use of elevation in north florida
Cons: - It's a great course, and attracts a TON of people to play it. Often very crowded on weekends which can lead to waiting a bit to tee off.
- Not the best course to try and introduce the sport to your great aunt Betsy.
- I've played this course from the day it was opened, the club is still in the process of making some improvements. Some long tee pads are unplayable at the time of this review. Once those few adjustments are finalized this is a four star course in my eyes.
Other Thoughts: All around, very enjoyable course with a lot of shot variety and unique features.