Amarillo, TX
The Grove Share
Uploaded By: DerekTonn   (Taken 2/2017)

Not my favorite kind of course, but not bad

1    5/24/2020   6/15/2020
Review By: Tim_the_Enchanter
Pros: Pleasant park setting
Lots of length
Nice baskets and teepads
Good use of water and elevation where possible
Open course, but nice mature trees in play
Cons: No tee signs, map or indication of where the next tee is
Very exposed--to people and sun
Litter
No benches that I recall
Plays close to many parking lots
Park users unaware or not caring about disc golf (picnics, parking in fairways etc.)
Other Thoughts: I flew into Amarillo on a trip and decided to play this course upon landing. The course is not bad, but it could be better. First and foremost, they need to have tee signs and a map, or at the very least tape on the basket to point to the next hole. There are some long walks between holes, and some that go in unintuitive directions. Udisc was the only way to navigate, and even then some locals had to help us when we got turned around a few times. The course also intersects the other course on property in one place, which only adds to the confusion.

The course is largely flat and open and plays around the perimeter area of the park. Most of the time you'll be playing in the general vicinity of other park users and/or their cars. There were a couple holes where we had to make up new teepads because people parked their cars in the middle of the fairway. There was also a fair amount of trash, some from golfers, some from Texas winds. Lots of sun exposure, make sure you have water and sunscreen.

Looking at previous reviews, there hadn't been concrete tees before. Tees were installed and in good condition when I played. They were ample in size and well made, but I do recall one tee being particularly slick--not quite basement floor slick, but not far off either--so test your footing before driving.

I know there were some good holes here, but honestly 3 weeks after playing, I struggle to think of any that stand out. Hole 9, the tunnel shot, stands out for being the only short technical hole (pro tees), but was also a pretty fun shot in itself. Hole 12 is a good risk/reward shot over a creek (hint: the creek is both closer and deeper than you think.) Hole 17 is a pretty cool downhill shot that you need to keep low under the trees. Most of the holes though, I just recall wishing I could throw farther.

All in all, its a pretty decent course, I enjoyed playing it but I would have had more fun if navigation wasn't such an issue. It's worth playing if you're in the area, but nothing to go out of your way for.

The grove

2-4    8/2/2019   8/2/2019
Review By: 867530Nine
Pros: Good course layout.
Excellent hole variation. There is a good variety in the hole selection.
Close to the other course.
Concrete pads and good baskets.
Cons: No map.
No signage.
Apart from the lack of signs the flow is pretty good. The course just goes around the ponds. Would be great if there were a map or score card that showed where to go.

Best in the West?

1    1/30/2019   2/2/2019
Review By: Pizza God
This review was updated on 5/28/2019
Pros: I just heard that Tee boxes for White and Blue are now installed
_______________________
Has good baskets
Practice basket next to parking lot
Great variety of shots
Several 2 drive holes (for me, some were 3)
Ample Parking
alternate Pin placements
Cons: No tee boxes
No tee signs
Nothing telling you where to go, not even a map on the kiosk
Other Thoughts: Boy, if they put in tee boxes, or at least tee signs marking this course, it would be one of, if not the best course in West Texas. (rivaling Big Mac in Lubbock)

The ONLY map I could find was the one on UDisc. And to be honest, I found blue markers in different spots than the app map had. I am sure the locals change it up, I also came across some white markers.

But with that said, very few holes had any sort of markings for any tees at all.

But playing the UDisc map with several holes in the shorter positions, I really enjoyed playing this course. A few of the holes are long because it was an open area, but there were several holes that used natural fairways and were still two drive holes.

The course winds around 3 different ponds, even using a hole from the original course in common. (the only hole with a tee pad and my only birdie of the round)

When all was said and done, I was happy with my 67.

Would I play here again? I would really like to see the locals mark the course better, post a good map and upkeep the course. If they did that, I would love to play here again.

It is a course

2-4    7/15/2017   7/15/2017
Review By: AndyJB
Pros: -There are baskets
-There is a big sign near the entrance pointing towards the general direction of the course
Cons: -No teepads
-No teesigns
-No maps, even though it is a huge park
-Hardly any other players, and the one's I met were not friendly
Other Thoughts: I mean, technically there is a course here. 18 baskets exist...I really couldnt navigate it. There's no maps and, surprisingly for Texas, the locals weren't very friendly. I mean, it's not the worst course I've ever played...but it's close.