Lexington, KY
Veterans Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Atvizory2000 Hole #12 (Taken 2/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

1    7/2/2017   7/5/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: I was in Lexington for a couple days and had time to play two courses. I chose two on the south end of town, both ranked in Kentucky's top 25 courses. As of this review, Jacobson was ranked 8th and Veterans was ranked 25th. You can read my review of Jacobson, but overall, I was very happy with the decision to play that course. Veterans was fun, but there were enough cons to make it just an average course, in my book. As of this review, I've played 16 courses that are ranked in the top 25 of their respective states (10 in NC and 6 elsewhere). Veterans gets the lowest rating, from me, out of those 16.

+ The course layout is actually quite good. There are some challenging holes, with a variety of wooded (almost all holes), with a couple of open holes mixed in, some fun downhill holes, some uphills, hyzers, anhyzers, and straight. I liked the use of the creek on a few holes. That was a fun challenge.

+ My favorite hole ended up being #6. When I first got to it, I walked the fairway to try to figure out where in the heck to throw it. The fairway is very tight, with a creek bordering the entire left-hand side and a steep hill on the right-hand side. Seems like it would be pretty easy to hit the slope and roll to the creek. There are also trees dotting the fairway. It's somewhat of a blind tee shot playing downhill to a basket on a flat area, with water to the right. I chose an anhyzer route. From the tee, it looked like I hit the edge of the slope and landed there. When I got to where the disc hit, I saw that my disc had cleared the slope, just barely, and glided down to the basket, within 10 feet. I'll take it!

+ Veterans Park, itself, seems like a big, destination park. There was a competitive softball game going on at the stadium when I was there. Lots of fans cheering. The walking paths and jogging trails were packed with park-goers. Despite the park crowd, I did not see any other disc golfers and never felt like the walkers/joggers got in the way of my lines on the holes close(r) to the paths.

+ Drainage on the course seemed pretty good. It had just rained the day before and I didn't encounter any standing water or mud patches.

+ The tees were ok.

+ Take away my negatives (below), and this would be a stand-out course. The fun factor is high and the holes have a good variety and are adequately challenging. BUT, there are negatives...
Cons: - First and foremost, when I played -- in the summer -- the underbrush was out of control, not only off the fairways, but on some fairways. I came across a guy weed-whacking a fairway, so I don't want to bash the people maintaining the course. It's situated in a forest...and it is the South...and it was summer. It must be a nightmare to try to keep this course maintained. But, like I said, the underbrush was really bad. Grass and weeds were high in many of the fairways. The risk of disc loss was high.

- The other big drawback for me, a newcomer to the course, was navigation. There were no Next Tee signs. I relied on my DGCR Course Map, but even that couldn't keep me out of trouble. There are numerous trails cris-crossing the course. I followed one by mistake after hole 15 and darn near got lost in the forest. It probably took me 20 minutes or more to finally find hole 16. This course desperately needs some Next Tee signs and trail markers.

- Old baskets, hard to spot in the woods.
Other Thoughts: If you have one day and the choice is Jacobson or Veterans (the only two courses I've played in Lexington), go with Jacobson. Veterans is probably a lot more enjoyable in the fall or winter. And even with the cons, it's worth playing. Just bring a map.

Short but difficult!

1    9/24/2015   9/25/2015
Review By: Zachstegemoller15
Pros: Short holes for mediocre arms like myself but challenging holes.
Loved walking up to hole one (when I found it) and seeing two trees about 5-10 ft apart straight out from the tee box, for a consistent player like myself the rush you get of oh ya this course it going to be challenging!
Cons: BY FAR THE WORST COURSE I HAVE PLAYED AS FAR AS FINDING THE NEXT TEE! There is no signs other then the arrows on the poles of the basket which makority of those where gone.
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course needs some work to make it a great course but it could be there!

Good, tough course

2-4    9/28/2014   9/28/2014
Review By: jbrian24
This review was updated on 1/17/2015
Pros: Albeit hard, this in a fun course to play. It will really test your shot shaping of line holding ability. Beautiful surroundings for most of the course. Many holes in the woods makes this a good course for hot days.
Cons: -tee pads seem rather small to me
-could use some updated breadcrumb signage...the first time I played here I walked a lot of extra steps
-baskets could use some color, they can be really hard to pick out on some holes from the tee pad
Other Thoughts: Despite the cons listed I really like this course. I have already returned for my second visit in as many weeks (I live 30 miles away) and will return for many more. This course is very fun to play, with some good shots and a little luck you will enjoy it.

Disappointed

1    6/26/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: jeffboi
Pros: Nice baskets, cool area
Cons: tiny tee boxes, lowlands smell like sewer, some holes have no real fairway (and my home course is very technical), tall weeds, hard to navigate, some baskets knocked over - left after 11 holes

Better than expected

2-4    6/23/2013   6/23/2013
Review By: DG addict24
Pros: The definition of tightly wooded, technical course is Veterans Park. It still gives you a couple of chances to throw some long like 2 and 10, but for the most part your going to have quite a few trees to worry about. A course this wooded obviously requires all the shots you could think of. The course is extremely difficult, and a couple over par is an advanced player level round. Par is a good score on most of the holes out there, and while it will reward shots that hit their intended line, it will severely punish those that miss and a lot of times you're looking at a flip out into the fairway and trying to get up and down for bogey. This is the most well-kept course I have played, considering how wooded it is. The grass is normal height everywhere, the woods (rough) is nice and clean at the bottom which makes finding your disc easier, but still plenty of branches and leaves up a little higher so it still punishes errant shots. They are working on the navigation issue a lot of reviews talk about with some next tee signs that are very helpful.
Cons: The tee-boxes are a little short everywhere and really short in some places. The tee signs are less than adequate and if I hadn't been playing with someone who knew the course, I would have spent a lot of time looking for the basket. I believe some of the distances are off too, because of new pin positions being put in.
Other Thoughts: Veterans park really exceeded my expectations. From looking at the pictures I expected a tough course that would be hard to walk and hard to find discs, where I didn't know where I was going. The only one I got was the tough course part and that was the part I was looking forward to. I hope I can come up to Lexington and play here again sometime.

Unique course flow

2-4    11/21/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Buongiorno, Principessa!, They have a TANK! Veteran's Park in Lexington, KY has some nice facilities for a number of sports, including a batting cage, ball fields, excellent shelters, benches, trash cans, plenty of parking, restrooms, and so on, plus a challenging, intermediate to advanced disc golf course, with a mix of wooded (14) and open (4) holes.

Decent baskets follow minimalist signage (1st time: print a map or go with a guide!), and the variably sized concrete tee pads are -usually- appropriate for the distances involved (holes range from 165 to 475 feet, with some of the shorter ones being uphill). Multiple pin positions make the course play very differently. My first time here was a windy day, and baskets were mostly in the long positions. I shot a dozen strokes better on a calm day with short placements (well, lucky breaks helped too)!

There have been recent improvements in the infrastructure. After hole 6, what used to be described as the 'Stairs to Mordor' have been re-treaded (so to speak) with a nice use of recycled tires.
Cons: Course flow is definitely unique. I can think of 8 places where this course needs upgraded 'next tee' signage. Or breadcrumbs.

A couple of the tees (1, 3, 12) are either too small or too raised/ eroded for comfort.

Some of the paths and fairways are in need of stump grinding and root removal.
Other Thoughts: Hole by hole: 1) tight releasing, gentle hyzer (rhbh) woods opener, then turn left and go down the path to
2) very open (noodlearm) bomb where you want to avoid fading over the neighbor's fence (left)
3) wooded, downhill, anny end with a creek long & left, then turn right, cross the road (sign needed)
4) note basket position on this side-hill glade: could be long hyzer, or directly ahead, then go downhill to next tee
5) uphill anny with three pin positions requiring a peek ahead
6) pretty, ravine-side straight downhill to peninsula green, and a fairly substantial creek if you go long, then the stairs up to
7) an open field shot with a path left (you hook over into the woods in the long position). Keep your eyes peeled for the path to
8) straight but woody fairway with that creek on the left, then path left of magnificent tree to
9) short uphill deuce opportunity, then you'll need to find the breadcrumbs, go around, or cross #17's fairway
10) eventually, you'll find the tee below the left field fence, shoot straight over the rise (feel's very long)
11) longer side-hill fairway with some pines to make it interesting, look left for path to
12) tight wooded rise shot off of a small tee
13) longer wooded downhill that either ends straight or to the right, then confusing trek to
14) similar length, but tighter green, then go to the right
15) sweeping lane with a gentle hyzer either across the creek bed or long (475') down the lane, then up across the path, and look sharp about 100' in for a split in the path beside a honeysuckle and a large tree. The secret path takes you down to
16) straight and longer or hooking left to basket on the hillside
17) uphill long hyzer or straight away, both with trees to make it interesting, then up across the path & drive, onto the woods
18) finish coming up through the woods to one of two basket positions.

BRRRRRRRR

1    3/5/2011   10/11/2012
Review By: chainbang
Pros: Awsome course. Lots of super long holes. Lots of variation and a little elevation change.
Cons: No tee signage, hard to find my at times. Quite a few people slammin Tallboys and throwing their cans along the way...Awesome!!
Other Thoughts: Enjoyed playing here, looking forward to the next time.

Bring your A game

1    6/16/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: Oldmanplayin
Pros: A great place to play IF you can shoot well. Clean, benches, garbage cans and good baskets.
Cons: Main thing is navigation, with or without a map it is tough. The parks department needs to put up directional signs to the next T!!!! It would make this course much easier to play. If all the fairways were as clear and clean as hole #1 this would be a tremendous course. I would probably give it a 4+. I do not mind tight lines but no significant fairway and just shootin' through the trees is not the game I like. It seems there are alot of holes that you're just hoping to make it anywhere near the basket.
Other Thoughts: It was a fun course to play but bring your beat in disks and leave the good ones at home I hate destroying one my go-to drivers tossing through randomly scattered trees, If I shoot out of the fairway - my fault!

Fun and Challenging

1    4/15/2012   4/17/2012
Review By: Reaper1134
Pros: - great combo of wooded and long holes
- many challenging holes
- many holes have multiple hole locations
- holes uphill, downhill and sidehill
Cons: - hard to navigate, Bring a Map!! got lost multiple times
- disc will get beat up, lot of trees to hit
- only cons i had for the course
Other Thoughts: Its a great course in Lexington. glad i went there and will be playing again soon!

Snobs

1    4/10/2012   4/13/2012
Review By: Float
Pros: Only played front 9 gtfo
Cons: Course not marked very well at all. Lucky I took a picture at bulletin board with iPhone and was having to look at it after every hole. Bike trails all over the course making it hard to find next hole. Lots of people on course in the way. Rude people behind me threw into me with no respect and I helped find there disc with no thanks. Concrete tees has been added on to make them uneven. Baseball games going on making it hard to park. This place is overed used with rude dudes. Will not be coming back ever.
Other Thoughts: Not enjoyable.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5