Fun little course
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 9 Baskets woven through a Christian summer camp.
Signs were crude and homemade, but were where they needed to be.
Enough obstacles, elevation and length that it was actually quite fun. Flow to the course was fine and easy to follow.
#3 Short 228 throw down a hill with a large tree as protection with a couple others further up the fairway.
#6 Blind throw to a dog leg right over a valley. and
#8 Throw across a valley with some low hanging branches for basket protection.
Cons: Tee areas are natural and are getting worn in spots.
Baskets 4 and 5 played a bit around some debris.
Fairway for 9 has a swing set about halfway down the fairway.
Other Thoughts: This was course # 2 of 6 today( adding up to 6 more tomorrow) through southern Iowa as I climb to #200. (This was number 193)
Was definitely a crudely assembled course on the Christian Camp property. That said it was actually quite fun. Where it loses rating points for style it made up for it in fun.
Would I journey there again for just this one?? No. Could it be part of a multi course trip. Absolutely!!
All in all, balanced out to a "reasonable" course.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Camp Disc Golf
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: • Plays around the outer perimeter of a summer camp type campground
• Outside of the first couple of holes, it does offer some lines to work your discs
• Looks like it would offer a canopy of shade in the summertime
• Beginner and public Friendly
• Plays fairly quick
• Averages around 270 ft, with two shots over 300ft
• Perfect course for introducing the sport of Disc Golf to new players
• Courses like this are a good start for introducing Disc Golf to the Community
Cons: • No Teepads, just a vague tee area notated by handwritten signs
• Distance in yards, not feet. (Not a huge con, but I've updated the hole info here)
• This course, albeit is out of the main traffic areas, could crosspaths with other park goers (Walkers, Playground, Basketball, etc)
• This may not be playable during events, camps, or other activities
• There is a lot of metal Garbage in the treeline. You'll want to be careful not to let your disc turnover into the woods. You may come out of the woods needing a tetanus shot.
• Has one BIG NO-NO, and it's that there is playground equipment in the middle of 9's fairway
Other Thoughts: This is a smaller course, but it had a little bit bigger fun factor than I originally figured it would. ...inspite of the creepy Camp Crystal Lake vibe it was giving off! lol (The place was empty when I played) Would it be enough to bring me back from mt pleasant? Depends, I'm not against returning. The first couple of holes were kind of a basic vanilla throws, but once you got past that, the course offered some interesting lines. The terrain becomes rolling, with trees dictating which gaps you needed to hit. However, it wasn't terribly difficult either. My only bogies were blow through putts from the InStep baskets. If I lived closer, I would definitely bring new players here to introduce them to the game.
Here is where I have to be blunt. A course should never ever play near a playground. Here you have playground equipment and a basketball court backdropping hole one, and in the middle of hole 9s fairway (a 324 ft drive) These should be relocated immediately. At the speeds these discs fly, you don't want a kid taking a disc to the face! It's a dangerous possibility! It's happened before!
This course probably falls into more of a rec category. It is a camp afterall! So before you decide to drive here, keep in mind that this isn't a course like Chautauqua, it's more like Waubonsie Trails . ...with fewer ace runs. But, I think it's good for what it is. It's the only course in Birmingham and it's maximized to the property it is on. I hope this course opens more doors for disc golf in Birmingham and the surrounding towns! It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a course this size make way for bigger courses!
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.