Pine Bluffs, WY
Leaning Rock DGC Share
Uploaded By: dtriscari Hole #18 (Taken 3/2017)

1    9/15/2020   9/15/2020
Review By: bobmcnelly
This review was updated on 9/16/2020
Pros: - new veteran baskets
- great large tee pads
- good variety of distances ranging 150' to 700' shots
- great variety of shots types to throw, you'll find yourself throwing all the shots you have
- more elevation change than you'll find almost anywhere
- tons of wow shots
- awesome views
- great work out
Cons: - one of the most rugged courses I've ever played, very steep spots, seems like it could be a bit dangerous for someone who isn't very used to this type of terrain.
- several completely blinds throws with elevation change that make looking for discs a pretty regular thing
- navigation isn't terrible but there's a few holes where some extra signage would really help out, any wrong steps on this course can cost you a ton of energy
Other Thoughts: Great course but I wouldn't recommend playing it if you're in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy the course safely. Brings hiking shoes and plenty of water.

Mountain hiking with some dg sprinkled in

1    8/20/2020   8/20/2020
Review By: letsgobulls_24
Pros: This was hands down one of the most amazing courses I've ever played. If you want something out of the ordinary, the polar-opposite of a standard course, then look no further. I happened to be passing through for work but I would recommend this as a destination course worthy of traveling to. The scenery is absolutely jaw-dropping; a few of the downhill and uphill shots simply dwarf the best comparison holes I've played on other courses. There are a mix of pars, hidden baskets, risky death putts, glides over canyons, lines around tight bends- I basically used every shot in my repertoire, except for a roller. Holes 1, 5, 7 and 18 in particular are fantastic and would be the best hole on almost any other course. Signage was good, there was enough seating, the rubber tee pads make sense, and there is little chance to lose plastic here.
Cons: This was one of the few times I've ever felt unsafe while hiking or playing disc golf. I was alone and some of the walking paths are so steep that I slipped but luckily caught my balance before falling. The elevation wore me out! It is not for the faint of heart, so be prepared to sweat, wear good shoes, and bring plenty of fluids! Installing sets of dedicated stairs and/or guardrails would go a long way to improve the overall safety. It needs more garbage cans.

Several times I had trouble finding the basket, even with good signage. A spotter would be helpful on most shots. Hole 5 can be treacherous if an errant shot is thrown or rolls into the canyon.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course intimidating; amateurs and above will relish nearly every single shot.

All in all, this course is one I will never forget. The unique hole types and diversity of shot requirements makes it stand out amongst the scores of samey, mostly forgettable courses. Leaning Rock DGC was a joy to play and I would love to return someday.

Not for the faint of heart

1    6/27/2020   6/28/2020
Review By: JuanA
Pros:

- A dedicated 18 hole DG course.
- Tee signs are new and in great shape.
- Veteran baskets still look brand new.
- Easy stop off of I-80.
- Almost every hole is an epic shot.
- Risk/Reward is fantastic.
- Great scenery from all over the course.
- Some benches have been added throughout the course.
- You will be worked!
Cons:

- Geographically undesirable.
- Very rough terrain (only a con for some)
- Zero amenities.
- No water...bring extra!
- Extremely cart un-friendly.
- Not beginner-friendly.
- Some baskets felt 'overly' hidden and obstructed.
- Some players may not like the rubber tees.
- Some tees are small and offer no run-up.
- There is shade here but it can be hot.

- First a word of caution...This course is very rough and physically demanding. If you are out of shape, have trouble with your balance or footing, or struggle with altitude this course is not a good choice for you.

- Now that that's out of the way...Wow, I don't even know where to start with this review. This course is physically epic and will test not only your stamina but almost every shot you have in your bag. I've never fought so hard to save par.

- The front 9 has more of the big-arm holes, and the back is much more technical. Overall though this course rewards accuracy and intelligent shot shaping. It severely punishes lazy disc selection and a lack of commitment on your drives. I felt the risk/reward on almost every hole was some of the best I've played and for me the highlight of the course. I normally don't second guess my disc selection on easy courses, but I was constantly reassessing my choices here.

- I had to pre-walk a lot of the holes on the back 9 to see where we were going before throwing. The tree cover is pretty heavy, and the greens aren't always easy to spot. Some baskets seemed overly hidden which made for interesting approaches but didn't really add to the enjoyment of the hole. A better familiarity of the course would help with this.

- Take your time!! I lost several birdies and pars from being tired and breathing so heavy. Take a few minutes to catch your breath on each Tee as well as before any important putt. Rushing through this course is a mistake and it will make you pay.

- I felt the rubber tees were the right choice here. A big positive to this course is it's ability to stay dynamic and change over time. As good as this place is, I felt a few holes could use a tweak or two, and the rubber pads allow that. A few old tees can still be found, and the new locations are improvements.

- This course is not beginner friendly but only the "newest of the new" will fail to have fun here. A few holes are beginner impossible though, so a good attitude goes a long way. You don't have to be an expert to enjoy this place.

- Final thought. Pine Bluffs is another one of those fantastic courses in the middle of nowhere. It was almost a two hour drive to play here, but totally worth it and I can't wait to go back in the fall. This is a physically epic experience that everyone should try if they are in the area. Just be sure to bring good shoes.

This course ruined my daily DG existence

2-4    8/25/2018   8/26/2018
Review By: little oz
Pros: Coming from Colorado Springs, I have settled in to a predictable circuit of courses. I played my first tourney in 3years at the WYOpen last week, and now I look at my daily courses as mundane walks compared to this course. The geography of this course is epic and amazing. Allow 3hours if playing with a partner; bring water, trail shoes snacks and humility. DD veteran baskets are awesome, pin placements are high risk, even though scouting is often required with a vertical walk. Roll always are a reality on many holes. Having completed the 500 mile Colorado trail, this course is the closest to backpacking I have played. Tee pads are level, well boxed, with solid signage. Some may be put off by not having a "clean" putting circle, but I like that you can't just have a "okay" upshot and putt out from 20'. Hole 1is a top of the world shot that announces that this is no common experience. There are no gimmies on this course, except 14. This is not a course that makes you feel good about your game, as you will find yourself in some uncomfortable spots that will require creative shot shaping. Scenery is wonderful, traffic is low. A must play if you are traveling through. I would call this a destination course. Support local businesses as much as you can to show appreciation.
Cons: Lack of amenities would be the only drawbacks. No trash cans or benches.Pads are rubber, and its $5 to play, but don't bitch. Access can be tough if you don't read the directions here, or just start at hole 8. During tourney play in the morning it was 57 degrees, raining and 25-40 mph winds, but you should expect this on a high point in Wyoming.
Other Thoughts: Must play course only if you have time and are prepared.

Leaning Rocked Me

1    6/7/2018   6/17/2018
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Driving all the way across Nebraska on I-80 is totally worth it, as long as you bookend the trip with Hummel in Omaha and Leaning Rock, about 3 miles across the state line into Wyoming. Playing this course will make it clear you're moving out of the Great Plains and into Rocky Mountain territory.

I chose to park at the rest area and take the short walk to start at hole 8, which was nice and conveniently close to the Interstate and gas stations. If I had it to do over, I would have parked closer to the first hole and started at the beginning. If you do start from the rest area, park at in the few spaces at the end of the lot, and walk to the left side of the giant teepee toward the bluff. Hole 7's basket will be visible next to hole 8's tee on the left.

I loved the terrain of this course, but it has heavy trees on many holes, and the hike is more intense than most courses. The hills are often rocky with tricky footing, so wear appropriate footwear.

The tees have good rubber mats framed out, and are nice and level. There are signs, and the new Dynamic targets are great. I like the arrows built into the rungs of the lower basket that point toward the next tee.

I only played one round, and the good news is my mid range Roc was flying great. I was surprised at how well it carried in the elevation, and how straight it flew. I parked several holes and made 5 birdies. The bad news is I probably didn't throw it enough. All of the birdies were wiped out by a double bogey and a triple bogey, and 8 other bogies piled on along the way leaving me with a +8 (63).

The only par 4 hole is number 6, and all others are par 3. A few of the holes are clearly visible from the tee and have a fairly good line through the trees. Many of the others are longer and have pins that are hidden amongst the pines and harder to access. The balance of fun short holes and longer, more technical holes is well matched, but there is little in between here.

I liked the tee shot over the tree tops on hole 1, it was a great opening throw, without a lot of interference if you keep it out of the trees. Holes 5 and 7 are really fun short holes with cool views and interesting throws from tee to basket. 5 is a line over a low area to a basket on the edge of a steep drop. 7 starts at the top of the bluff and the basket is at the bottom, taking a drastic drop on the way down.

Get the birdies where you can, because the difficult holes can eat up strokes in a hurry. Hole 6 is the par 4, and it requires two good throws just to get in range of the pin, which could still be out of sight. 8 and 9 both have slippery pin positions, but at least you can see where you are aiming for.

I felt like I made a good drive on 11, and it was ok, but I still had to scout around to find the basket after locating my disc. Tough pin to get to in 3 shots. 13 was a cool hole, and mid range will get you in position for birdie at either pin as long as you hit the line. 15 is reachable, but the pin is again in a precarious spot, and the line has to be nearly perfect to get through the trees that guard it. 16 has a similar feel to 13 and is also a cool tee shot.

17 and 18 were similar as short and easily visible, but uphill with some really cool pin locations. Hitting the line is crucial, because if you're not under basket the approach can be very tricky.
Cons: Landscape has tremendous ups and downs, and going from a to b is no walk in the park in some cases. The woods are thick and so is the rough in places. I spent about 20 minutes looking for a disc that sailed into the tall grass under the trees to the right on hole 9.

If you aren't familiar with the layout, you may want to take the time to walk a few holes before throwing, just to find out where the pin is at. Having a spotter may come in handy at times.

Not beginner friendly. I played 5 courses on this 5 day trip, and this was the only one that made me sort of glad I left my old dog at home. He probably would have loved it and done fine, but the footing is pretty bad in places, and he isn't a pup anymore.

Bring water and sunscreen, this one could take a while.
Other Thoughts: I think Leaning Rock DGC is great. Some of the holes were a bit dinky, and some were really ferocious. Some may think a few of the fairways aren't fair. They're not wrong, but I enjoy a good challenge.

The sign at hole 1 says money raised will go toward installing another 18 hole course. If that happens, I will be back to check that one out too.

If you like mountainous terrain and don't mind playing difficult layouts, then I would tell you to play here if you can. It isn't perfect, but I haven't seen many courses that are comparable to this one so far.

1    6/3/2018   6/4/2018
Review By: BKPower
Pros: This course is on the perfect property with a shared side to a ball golf course and a highway rest area on the other. The signage is absolutely on point and is very easy to find your way!! Overall the course is FANTASTIC!!!!!! The pictures on here are out dated and the entire course nice Dynamic signs. Great amount of different shots. The only real advice is, wear pants and hiking boots. Enjoy :)

Well On It's Way

2-4    5/2/2017   5/3/2017
Review By: dtriscari
Pros: This course has the potential to be epic. There are fantastic rocky formations, great elevation changes, plenty of trees, scenic views, and a chance to see some wildlife (I saw a fox today!).

The brand new Dynamic Veteran baskets are badass!!

Great hike while playing. Bring appropriate footwear and water.

Hole 4 is only about 200', but if you overthrow this hole to the left, you can end up WAYYYYY out of position down the backside of a "cliff". This type of risk/reward factor is plentiful on this course.

I love the green on hole 5. The pin is just above this rocky outcropping which, if you don't make, you're in trouble.

Sloped greens make the course more challenging and lead to roll-aways after missed putts.

Lots of elevation changes coupled with nearly constant wind keeps things interesting.
Cons: There's too many short holes, # 12 & 14 in particular. These are just throw away filler holes, less than 150'.

There needs to be some more tree trimming on the greens. Too many times I find myself trying to make some crazy circus shot within the circle.

Some fairways still need to be cleared. Hole 3, position B and Hole 6 (2nd shot) come to mind. You're basically just throwing at a wall of trees on these holes.

Where is that epic 700' hole teeing from the top of the cliff to the valley below? Hole 7 could be it, but presently the hole is only about 200' away with a 50' - 70' drop in elevation. I throw my putter...it's lame.

It's difficult to find the first hole. You take some dirt roads up into the hills, navigate through multiple unmarked forks, and once you get there, the gate is closed and there's a sign that says no trespassing. Now what? Much easier to park at the rest area where you'll find a paved parking lot with facilities and trash cans. From here you can follow the walking trail to hole 8. Seems like the obvious place to start the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is BRAND new, and I hope that in a year or two most of my Cons will be irrelevant. I think that this course is still a work in progress and over time these issues will be addressed. I sincerely hope that before they pour the pads they'll go back and rework some of the holes. I'd like to see a few more par 4s (there's only one now) and maybe even a par 5.

The Canyon Course at Leaning Rock is literally RIGHT off the highway. If you're passing through on I-80, you HAVE to stop and play this course! Totally worth it!!

This is probably one of the best dg courses in WYO as is. If they extend it and do some trimming, it could be something really special!

They're planning on building a second course adjacent to this one.