Kingsport, TN
Warriors Path State Park Share
Uploaded By: TNT-Pops Hole #22 (Taken 10/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Maybe the Most Well Known Course in TN

1    6/16/2020   6/19/2020
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -The name "Warriors Path" seems to make more sense as this course continues to age. I worked on this analytics project months ago observing tournaments in TN since 1984. It's cool to know that tournaments have occurred at Warriors Path since then. The fact that this course is still around and valued alone is a pro, possibly making it a tourist attraction for disc golfer. It's well kept and may not even been close to its extinction date. This is one of the oldest courses (maybe the oldest) course I have ever played. I generally enjoy newer courses, but this one shows a lot of innovative design.

-Most holes have dual pin positions. Reading the previous reviews, it seems the locals and parks and rec department do a good job switching the pins around. A few are considered par fours. I saw that par was 85 in the tournament this year, meaning there were four par fours. They aren't very long considerably, but they aren't short either. The only par four I played was #5, but holes #21 and #27 and maybe a couple others have long pins tough enough to be par fours.

-Lots of elevation for holes that are relatively short. #2 is only 153' but is up maybe 20'. #8 is up near the 25' mark and #15 is straight downhill probably a little bit past the 25' mark. Some others with good elevation changes. My favorite hole was #21. Probably has the highest elevation change here. It's a super fun downhill ace run by the road. There is a long pin placement to the left back uphill. You also get to play a few fun valley holes.

-I think the fairway diversity is pretty good. #25 you'll either love or hate. I love it. The defined fairway plays pretty hard left, but the angle isn't severe. You have the option of taking a "pro route." I threw a hyzer flick through the opening to the left of the defined fairway and landed close enough to birdie this hole. Other than this, you'll be throwing different shots. Many straighter holes but plenty of right to left holes and challenging anhyzer holes.

-From the media, you see the mach pins. Warriors Path now has disCatchers that are a bit worn, but they catch very well if you putt slightly left. I made a few outside circle putts and a 75' footer. Nice to know that the pins were replaced at some time.

-#26 is iconic! Definitely the signature hole. You are throwing through a tunnel edged by giant rocks and boulders. Hole was about 300' (long pin when I played) and was a very fun challenge. If you really pure it, you'll get to see your disc fly nicely down that path. Awesome!

-Many ace opportunities along with very challenging holes that maybe average slightly over par. Pros will really try to capitalize on the shorter holes to build their confidence on the tougher holes. The shorter holes are easy enough for novice players. The variety in challenge for a primarily par three course is pretty well diversified.

-Plenty of benches to rest on. I wouldn't say the course has a TON of elevation, but the elevation movement is pretty consistent and moderate. Makes it pretty tiring.

-Nice additional challenges such as an island green on #15, an elevated basket on #23, and a mando gate on #2. All short holes that are made tougher.

-Ends in an eighteen hole loop. #1 to #18. You could simply play #19-27 if you only have time for nine holes. #27's basket isn't very far from #1's tee pad either.

-There's a campground and I don't think you even have to make a reservation. An opportunity to camp in Tennessee is always nice.
Cons: -I think navigation is the main problem. That has been stated many other times. If you don't have U disc, you are going to need it. Many holes have missing tee signs. After #4, you'll see a tee pad, but it isn't #5's pad. #5's actual pad is perched on a small hill. There are a lack of next tee arrows. The walk from #1 to #2 is hard as well. You don't really know where to look. Walk down the path near #1's basket (the one right before it) and continue to walk down and go left.

-Plenty of fillers. Some of the ace runs such as #17, #19, #20, and #24 are all pretty boring. #17, #19, and #20 are very similar. #19 is a little longer than the other two, but same task. Throw a slight hyzer. #24 is downhill and slightly to the right. Almost plays as a jump putt through a small gap. There are more but I think that's enough.

-#22. Yep! This hole is horrible when it's it the long pin. 289' dogleg right. The landing zone is maybe 110' from the tee pad. The short pin is less excruciating but still not very fun.

-The rough is very dense on #5 and #6 and then on #12 and #13. If it's windy, good luck! I threw a culverin on #6 in a head wind and it faded right and landed in the rough. It's painful and there could potentially be copperheads since you're in the mountains. Few other holes where the rough is particularly sketchy.

-Some holes are very close together. You are throwing by greens or fairways of different holes. Probably lots of yielding in tournaments.
Other Thoughts: -This course is definitely old, but it's far from plain. A lot of older courses I've played seem to be pretty plain and just generic. This one has a lot of cool perks to it, making it a memorable experience. It's not the best course I've played in Tennessee but it is quite fun! Winged Deer is nearby, and I think that's an awesome course. Harmon Hills isn't far either, and that's one of the greatest courses in the world! You could go on a camping trip and play all of those courses!

-I was originally going to give it a 3. I'm giving Warriors Path a 3.5. It has a high fun factor with some shock value that makes it a really good course. Has some holes that I don't consider to be fun, but many excellent holes that may be the inspiration for the cool perks you see on newer courses. Holes like #26 may have had something to do with the growth of disc golf. It's an awesome hole for sure with a lot to offer.

1    3/19/2020   3/19/2020
Review By: samxyx
This review was updated on 5/6/2020
Other Thoughts: Course plays partly in a field, partly in the deep woods, partly in the light woods. Very hard to navigate and I got lost multiple times. I was gassed by the end. Bring lots of water. Good variety of hole type.

Played this course on a road trip as a pit stop. Didn't have time to fully appreciate it, but I was impressed by it's length and difficulty.

Visit Warriors Path!

5+    3/24/2019   4/20/2019
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Warriors Path DGC in Kingsport is an outstanding course. Mostly wooded holes with lots of terrain changes. There are long pins and short pins on each hole. The baskets are moved on occasion by locals so if you go there and the baskets are in the short positions, make sure you go back and check out the long positons at another time. In addition to this, you can choose between playing Holes 1-18 or all 27 holes! If you like a good mix of short/long and wooded/open holes, this is the course for you. There are some absolute tunnel shots as well as a couple moderately open bomber holes. I have also heard that the original layout of this course was designed in part by the father of disc golf, "Steady" Ed. So this course in addition to being a fun yet challenging course, has a ton of history!
Cons: Not really a con, but I would eventually love to see 2 baskets per hole on this course so you have the option of choosing which layout you want to play, or even play both in the same day.
Other Thoughts: If you want to see this course on video (Holes 1-18) check out my crew's video here...

Hard to pin down

1    7/15/2018   7/16/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: Warriors Path State Park is beautiful. I loved walking through the woods of this course as I played. Situated on the slopes of an old pine forest with small hikes between a lot of the holes gave you a chance to really enjoy nature. The most uniquely beautiful hole by far was 26, a rocky valley hole where you throw through the tight valley of rock face to a basket outside the other end. The second best hole is, I think, 25 from the left tee. You have to throw into a sheer dirt wall with a basket about halfway up. I ricocheted off a tree, threw back to the fairway, then hit like 100' anny approach dead center to save par (and there was a witness!), so that hole will always be in my mind.

There is a good mix of long and short, left/right holes. A few that turn sharply, a few that are gentle. It keeps things a little fresh. Everything is a par 3, because when this course was designed (1980!) everything was a par 3. Regardless of distance. I think a few of these could be a 4, but what is par, anyways?
Cons: When it comes to cons, there are many but they're pretty light.

The tees are concrete, but kind of small and slick. They were a little wet when I played, and I couldn't get any footing. I tried throwing next to them and usually it was too uneven, or slippery muddy, to do that either. When most of your drives need to be 300'+, throwing from a standstill, or one step is rough on your shoulder.

The signage is far overdue for an upgrade. They just aren't very helpful if you don't already know the hole.

Navigation is so-so. Half of the time it's figure-out-able, but sometimes you just need a little help. Hole 22 is especially bad, as previous reviewers have mentioned.

The up-and-downhill nature of is grueling. There were several players who said they either skipped the last hole (you have to walk all the way down a hill just to throw back up it, 26 makes a much better finish), or just skip the whole back 8, finishing on 19 and not crossing the road. When most of the locals skip a whole section of the course, with the two best looking (but not best throwing) holes, that's an issue.

Nit-picky: A few of the wooded holes need some trees removed to create fair lines, and not luck lines. It's annoying to make a good throw and hit a tree just before the basket, turning your bird into a par, or a bogey if you can't miss the trees again.

It would also be nice if there lake was in view or in play in some sections. It's a huge tease to drive past it on the way to the course and then never see it again until you leave.
Other Thoughts: Deciding between a 3.5 and a 4.0 was super hard on this course for me. It definitely has some good features, as well as beauty, but it also frustrates you at times. I decided that when looking at the group of other courses I've rated a 4, this really belongs at 3.5 for me for the time being, to be consistent with my other reviews.

Warriors Path is one of the highest rated courses in the Tri-Cities area, and it deserves it, but I think Winged Deer is a pretty close second, especially in winter when all the leaves are down. Of course Harmon Hills is only 30-45 minutes away, but locally Warrior's Path is just the prettiest one around and nudges Winged Deer for the top spot

A True Warrior

2-4    3/30/2018   4/2/2018
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: I first played this course in 2016. I had playing the sport for only a couple of months, and I was excited to play a new course that was unfamiliar to me.

Fast forward 2 full years, and I turn into a full-on course snob. I have travelled across many states, seen the best of them and the worst of them. I come here for old time's sake, and to finally review a course that I held off reviewing two years prior.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The definition of a warrior: a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.

Warrior's Path is exactly that, a warrior. This course has taken the test of time, being put into the park in 1980, it has taken over 30 years of abuse. There are hundreds of people who play this course every day, and every day, Warrior's Path continues to thrive.

Each hole has a single concrete tee pad. It's short, it has cracks. It does it's job though, holding the weight as people trample all over it, never getting discouraged.

Each hole has an older Innova Discatcher, rusted chains and all. Sure, they aren't brand new Mach X's, but they are doing what they can, and doing it well.

Most of the holes have, albeit dated, tee signs, that can help a little bit. However, some soldiers have been lost over the years, and the metal pole that once held them remains as a tombstone.

Playing as a par 3 course, the shot-shaping and control are the emphasis, and putting is the key to gaining strokes on competitors.
Cons: As much of a warrior that this course is, the course shows wear and tear. As mentioned, the tees are short and cracked, the baskets are fading, and tee signs are missing.

The par 3 nature of the course leaves a lot for you to hope for. You won't be throwing long driver shots through the woods, or airing out over a grassy field. There isn't a signature hole. A lot of fun holes to play, but no holes to consider signature.

This course is in a large park, with lots of people playing disc golf, walking around, and doing God knows what, but you might have to wait around, letting people play through or letting walkers pick up after their dog.

Navigation was kindof intuitive, but some holes had multiple paths, or overlapping holes, leading to some confusion, especially if the hole in question dies not have a tee sign. A map is helpful.
Other Thoughts: I gave this course a 2.5 rating, which, by the written standards, means Decent/Typical.

However, this course is not typical. This course is history. One of the oldest courses in the country, come out and learn the fairways of a Tennessee classic.

Path of Least Resistance

1    11/5/2016   12/21/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Warriors Path State Park disc golf course is 27 holes, majority of them are pretty fun, and not a lot of them are excessively difficult. This is the kind of course that can get a new player addicted, but still be entertaining to an experienced disc golfer as well.

There are concrete tees, and well used baskets that are in fair condition. Tee signs are primitive and weathered, but they are there. One or two directional signs along the way also.

My favorite aspects of this one are the big elevation changes and low scoring potential, a combination that usually leaves me smiling. There are not any super long holes, and a few are nearly wide open, but most have significant numbers of trees, and some have water as well.

Fun factor is my biggest consideration in rating this course. It could be better perhaps, but I enjoyed the current layout and would play here regularly if I lived nearby. Holes like 6, 15, 21 and 25 give me the big downhill looks from the tee, with varying degrees of woods and distances. Of course elevation changes almost always mean some of the holes will be uphill. Those are ok with me too. 26 and 27 illustrate this description. I also thought some of the wooded holes were tricky fun. Lacking length but plenty of obstacles to keep it interesting. Examples of those are plentiful in the stretch from hole 7-14.
Cons: The layout is a little crazy, printing the map is advisable if you are new here. After hole 1 you have to walk past the playground and across the creek to find hole 2. I also threw to the wrong basket at first on hole 5, and of course I parked it. The final 8 holes are across the street from the first 19. I lost my way after one of the later holes, I think it was 22.

So, a little extra signage could be helpful. Upgrading all signs and adding a few navigational pointers would be great.

There were quite a few players on the course when I got there, spaced well. I only played through one group, but it may be more crowded at times.
Other Thoughts: My one and only round on this course was played after visiting The Claytons, and getting in most of Harmon Hills the same day. So I was pleased to reduce the amount of agro by 20-30%. This was the perfect cap to a great day of new courses.

I see how there could be benefits to redesigning this course, and it might be a killer 18. However, I also like the old school courses, and appreciate seeing them for historical reasons. I was in diapers when they were installing this course. I like to imagine what it would be like playing back then, and what I would look like with massive sideburns.

Wish I had more in the tank, or better luck, I wound up 5 over par. Everything is par 3, and with good mojo it could yield birds in bunches. I had 4 birdies on the first 8 holes, but unfortunately I made a mess of several others. 3 double bogeys, and 3 bogeys along with the 17 pars.

If there weren't an incredible, top notch course also with 27 holes very close to Warriors Path, I would say go ahead and mix it up for a fresh look. Since there is I think leaving this one as is makes for a really good contrast. I will say Tennessee has some great disc golf from one end of the state to the other. While not the best of them, WPSP holds up well.

Warriors...Come Out and Get Lost?

1    6/26/2016   7/14/2016
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: 27 holes if you're a quantity over quality type. Concrete tees scattered around nice woods in a nice park with functional baskets. Some longer, open holes are sprinkled into the mix to break up the wooded monotony. You'll be throwing your mids and putters a lot out here as distances aren't very long and the lines are usually straight and tight through the woods. If you can do work with a straight putter or mid you'll bag a lot of birdies here. If you struggle with straight shots off the tee you'll get roughed up a bit but this is an old course so the rough isn't too punitive. There's a pinch of elevation change and a creek comes a bit into play to pretty up the round and give it a little character, a raised basket too. The third nine has some really nice, Harmon-esque terrain with big rocks and such.
Cons: Really showing its age. If you can find a tee sign, its info is sparse and old. I mean look at the pics of the tee signs on here, that is like minimalist art at its finest. Little trails run all over the place, maybe they take you to the next hole, maybe they don't. The baskets have seen better days but are well functional. The flow is rather goofy at times, especially with the third nine holes considered. Navigating the first 18 isn't terrible since it's mostly in the woods and intuitive (there will be a path, just maybe not the right one but a path nonetheless). The third nine seems newer and way less intuitive on transitions and is more open so you'll be trekking around the property a bit to find the next hole.

Design-wise there is a lot of repetitiveness with the woods golf. I can't remember if I played any doglegs except for hole 5 which I possibly played from the wrong tee due to lack of signs. Just a lot of straight holes, sometimes ending a bit to the right (you'll mop up if you can FH a mid). The holes aren't bad per se, it's just that their challenge is mostly mitigated by newer disc technology surpassing the design.
Other Thoughts: I think this course could use a face lift. It might be better off starting with the third nine and then combining the original 18 into a more versatile nine holes that gets rid of a lot of straight, blah holes, annoying walks, and adds some doglegs and maybe a legitimate par 4 or two.

Overall it's a fun course, just a bear to navigate the first time around. I don't know if I'd recommend it to someone on a roadtrip unless they bring a map, otherwise they'd spend as much time hole finding as playing disc golf and that eats up a lot of time, time you could be spending at Harmon HIlls or even Sugar Hollow. But it's a deuce-or-die romp through some nice woods and mowed lawns so bring your Viper, Cyclone, Stingray and Aviars and enjoy the time warp.

Great course, needs directions

5+    5/26/2016   5/26/2016
Review By: MaxZero1496
Pros: Challenging holes
Good mixture
Tee-offs are in good repair
Baskets are highly visible
Cons: No signs or directions and lots of random paths...extremely easy to skip holes or get lost completely
Other Thoughts: The first 18 holes are fun, but the last 9 are my favorite.

Fun and technical without being too demanding

1    6/4/2015   8/29/2015
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Warriors Path is a classic old-school course that offers a diverse set of 27 holes spread throughout the park. You get the opportunity to play both tight, technical holes in the woods as well as chances to open up your arm. It's for this reason that I think the course appeals to a wide range of players, evident by the large crowd that we saw on a Thursday evening. What keeps things fresh throughout the round is that you are constantly traversing in and out of the woods, hitting up various patches of forest among the expanse of the park in between open sections.

Roughly 2/3 of the holes are in the woods, so the course emphasizes technicality a little more than distance. Still, you'll get plenty of chances to air it out with the other 1/3 playing more in the open. With 27 holes, you really get a wide spectrum of hole types.

The designers did a nice job of making sure no holes felt too similar. The design offers different kinds of shots with the use of elevation changes and levels of woodenness. If downhill holes excite you, you'll be plenty satisfied here with different looks for this type of shot. There are some fun downhill wooded shots in 4 and 15, while 6 and 22 give you a chance to really let loose being more in the open.

A few holes do a good job of changing appearance/terrain from tee to basket. 25 is a fun valley shot that plays down through a tight fairway, out over an open section, and up and to the left through another set of trees. 18 is another one that uses a combination of terrain, playing from in the open into a patch of trees.

The fairways were very well maintained and the grass cut short.

The course loops back near the parking lot before 19-27.

Plenty of benches help this long round to be less grueling.
Cons: The wear and tear is showing on this 35-year-old course. The baskets are rusting (though still performed up to standard) and some of the tees are cracked. There were a few tee signs missing.

It truly has an old-school design, which means it's entirely set up in par 3 format. The layout is well-varied within this type of design, but it would appeal to even more players if it had a few par 4's. Because of the par 3 layout, the course leans on the shorter side.

Some of the holes play too close together, added by the busyness of the course. My brother got hit with someone's drive on 6 when he was standing at the tee on 5.

The navigation isn't too hard, but gets confusing in a few spots with other holes close by. Bringing a map can't hurt.
Other Thoughts: This is a great casual course, one to play with friends for a relaxed round because it offers a good balance of difficulty: plenty of technical challenge without being too demanding or punishing. This I didn't mind, coming directly from Harmon Hills to play here. Definitely worth stopping at if you are in the area to play HH and it makes a nice three-course combo with Winged Deer Park also nearby.

Come lick your wounds here after Harmon.

1    6/4/2015   8/12/2015
Review By: Qikly
Pros: Warriors Path State Park DGC offers a lot of bang for your hypothetical buck. It's not just a matter of sheer quantity, though that is here too: Warriors Path's 27 holes feature a lot of variety in distance, line, and woodedness. The emphasis is on technical par 3s that feature well-defined, challenging but fair lines. These run the gamut from ace runs to challenging birdies to tough pars. Distance covers a range of lengths, though for the most part stays within the comfort level of a decently skilled rec player.

The elevation at Warrior's Path is significant and varied, and helps distinguish the course. Fairways run across hillsides, approach dangerous slopes, or move directly with the terrain for uphill and downhill shots. There are in particular a few nice downhill holes, including one with a shallow creek in play. The elevation here can equally play spoiler or act as an aid, helping to keep you on your toes and jazzing up otherwise conventional shots: a few shorter holes become challenging with the accompanying elevation, and a few longer ones become less daunting if still interesting.

Overall, the challenge factor occupies a sweet spot, accommodating a broad range of skill levels. Beginners will find enough inroads to enjoy the course via shorter holes and friendly elevation, while more experienced players will appreciate the variety, with enough trees, distance, and elevation to keep their game engaged.

As a long established course, Warrior's Path is well-worn in a comfortable way. The nearby Winged Deer Park makes for a nice one-two punch of courses.
Cons: The real limitation of Warriors Path is simply its solid but unspectacular design. The strictly par 3 layout isn't deviated from, and although there are a diversity of approaches to this general hole type, the emphasis is almost always on a single shot or hazard. Par 4s and their emphasis on placement and chaining shots together would do a lot to mix up the feel. The varied terrain could certainly accommodate holes with more internal variation.

Some of the final 9 holes seem a bit of an afterthought. They plan in and around a smaller patch of woods than the front 18, and some of the lesser wooded holes seem like transitions rather than being there for their own sake.

The course seems to be popular, and has the potential to get backed up: our Thursday afternoon round was surprisingly busy.

Only one set of tees.
Other Thoughts: Warrior's Path DGC offers a solid round and I'd be more than happy to have it as my home course. The par 3 focus limits it a bit for me, but it offers enough challenge and some great terrain to more than justify a visit. It's nearby the fantastic Harmon Hills, too, so that alone makes it worth a visit.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5