Hummelstown, PA
Shank Park Share
Uploaded By: danhyzer-busch Hole #18 (Taken 4/2017)

A great beginner course

2-4    6/2/2019   7/11/2019
Review By: where'sfinn
Pros: Shank Park has a really cool course design. The course has a large change of elevation, a good mix between open field bomber throws vs. tight wooded tunnel shots, a large variety of hole length, and a good variety of type of throws needed (dogleg left vs dogleg right). Also, the holes do not cross and they flow smoothly from one to another.
Cons: No benches
Tee pads are short and rubber, so they get very slick when it's wet.
Signage only has the par and total ft.
Only one tee pad and pin per hole.
Other Thoughts: Shank park is really fun to play at, and great for beginners, but challenging enough for intermediate players. The only thing holding this course back from a 4 are the cons listed above.

The greater park has a lot of other stuff to do other than disc golf, so that's a plus if you bring your family.

Many Enjoyable, Challenging Holes Here!

1    4/23/2018   4/23/2018
Pros: Shank Park is a large county like park. You see how sprawling it is when you play the DGC as you have to circumnavigate the entire park and my feet were letting me know. The park was a beehive of activities tonight with softball, baseball, soccer and folks out walking the nature trail.

The designer of this course might very well be my long lost twin, Manuel. He and I certainly think alike. We both love downhills of any kind, from epic to short, touch shots. Shank Park DGC definitely has it's share of downhills.

The course starts right next to the red barn right when you enter the park. It also loops back and the trail from 18 takes you right down to the front parking lot. There is a great, colorful course sign at the start. I don't quite know why but there is another identical great course sign at the parking lot before # 9. There are two tee signs on each post, one on each side. I guess this county must be flush with revenue to afford two course signs and two tee signs at each hole! The baskets are Discatchers with the yellow bands and hole numbers on that band. In addition, every basket has a next arrow hung below the catcher. Beware, the arrow on the # 2 basket points in the opposite direction of the next tee.

The course has a really wonderful variety of hole types, distances and challenges. There are some fun downhills such as 1, 2, 12 and 14. A short downhill Ace run at 18. A series of technical shorties at the beginning, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Two tough holes in a row playing through thick forest with seemingly no route, 15 & 16.
Cons: There are lots of long walkouts here. Between all the ups and downs and the long walkouts, you should be ready to sit down and put your feet up.

Basket is still missing on # 13.

The next arrow sign at the # 2 basket points in the opposite direction of the actual tee pad.

I thought # 7 & 8 we're both a little boring, just wide open throws across grass.

Some players might think that 15 & 16 are unfair but I found them to be nice challenges.
Other Thoughts: Shank Park DGC has a number of really fun downhill throws and is also well designed with a variety of different hole types. Granted, it's quite a trek completely around the entire park but it's well worth the effort. I'd love to live in Hershey, eat lots of chocolate and have the choice of the Hotel Hershey course and Shank Park. I'd. E as happy as an unchaperoned Amish girl on a date.

1    4/14/2018   4/21/2018
Review By: MuddyR44
Pros: The elevation changes were the high point of the course. The course also had a good mixture of wooded and open holes.
Cons: This is a course that does need help. First the tee signs only gave footage and no visual of where the baskets were or what preferable lines were available to use. There was also alot of holes that sort of played on top of themselves, in a pdga tournament this could be a big problem. In particular i remember 4-8 having fairways too close together or baskets in too close of a proxcimity to the next tee pad.
In the wooded holes the ceilings were generaly too low. I could raise one arm in the air and hit small limbs the whole way from tee to basket on hole 15 and 16. Also holes 3, 4, and 18 had a few small trees very ramdomly in the middle of the fairways i really didnt see the purpose in. If said trees are allowed to get bigger over time there wont be fairways on those holes.
And my last issue was for a par 54 course the amount of walking required was a bit much. The walk between 8-9 was a bit much. Which also bring me to navigation and layout. For a par 54 had i not had a local golfer with me it would have taken a long time to play this course. Arrows under the baskets would have helped. But again on a 54 usually you dont need to worry about that. So the design/flow of the course wasnt good. Having to search for 50% of the next tees is a bit annoying.
Other Thoughts: I would take a 9-10 hole redesign to get me back. I appreaciated some of the concepts, but this course needs alot of work.

good, not great

1    8/11/2017   8/11/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Shank Park is a decent course with a mix of wooded and open holes. It plays around the edges of the park and into the woods. I wasn't a fan of some of the wooded holes, which tended to be either very short or lacking in a clear line of play. The open holes were better, but many were too wide open. The weekend that we played, there was a lot of other park users, which interfered with the ability to play a couple of holes.

It's a decent course, and I'm always happy for another place to play, but too many holes had a similar feel or a generic feel to them (feels similar to holes on many other courses).

1    7/16/2017   7/18/2017
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: The course at Shank Park plays around the entire park, which is quite large. There is a parking lot and course map near the start of hole 1, which starts at the top of the hill adjacent to the red building. From the Bullfrog Valley Road entrance, park in the first parking lot on the right. I only add that because it isn't super clear where the course starts as you're entering the park.

I really enjoy courses that utilize diverse settings within a park. I like when I find the next tee and think, "Wow, this section of the park feels really different than the last set of holes." The course does that, mixing open holes among two different sets of woods - both of which have a very different feel.

Elevation is incorporated to its full potential, combining uphill and downhill shots with holes that play among rolling hills. There are only a few holes that are flat here. Also, some blind tee shots because of the slopes help make the open holes more interesting, like for 8 and 17.

The highlights for me were the bookend holes. I thought these two downhill shots were the best designed holes on the course. Hole 1 is a moderately wooded hole that offers multiple lines through the trees, while 18 is a tight shot through the woods with the pin on a slope. I also really enjoyed 8 and 15.

The tee signs and baskets are in great shape. The rubber tees are among some of the best I've thrown from. Another great amenity here is that the park is very well maintained. I never had to search for a disc, even when I didn't hit the intended line.
Cons: Probably the biggest detractor of the course to me were the two extremes for hole types that were mostly present. By that, I mean that the wooded holes were mostly super tight, stand still and throw your putter type shots, while the open holes were mostly completely open. Holes 3-6 are all less than 180' and are a little bit too much poke and pray, while all but one or two holes over 300' don't have any trees in the fairway. This isn't much fault of the design, as they used what the land has offered to great potential, but more of my preference for what I want in a course. I would've liked to have seen more variety in the level of woodenness throughout the round.

There are a few long walks from hole to hole, which was more noticeable since the course doesn't circle back to the parking lot throughout the round, and by the fact that there weren't any benches near the course. I'm in pretty good shape, but a bench or two would go a long way on a course as stretched out as this.

While my map was helpful, a few more signs to point you in the right direction would help, especially on some of the longer walks.
Other Thoughts: Being a new course, and given my lower rating than previously used, I don't want to come on as being too harsh. I enjoyed playing here, and would be happy to have this place as my home course. There were just a couple aspects of design that hurt the round for me. For my preference, I'd like to see a better variety of wooded shots and hole lengths. However, it is great to see that multiple courses have opened within the last year in this area. Not far from many major highways, Shank Park is definitely worth stopping at if you're traveling through the area.

Great Course!

5+    6/1/2017   6/2/2017
Review By: gs1199
Pros: -Good mix of open and wooded holes.
-Tee pads, although not concrete yet, are very nice.
-Makes great use of the elevation changes in the park.
Cons: I don't have too many cons to list about this course, some of these things are smaller things that don't effect my opinion of the course all that much.

-Hole 1 is downhill, then to get to hole 2, you go immediately back up the hill you just came down.
-Hole 15 and 16 are guaranteed to inflate my score every round (lol)
-The fact that hole 18 isn't a "top of the world" hole off of that huge hill to the right of 17 is a big disappointment. That would be a great, fun way to end the course. I'm sure there were reasons as to why this isn't a hole, but still, it would be great.
Other Thoughts: A great course for beginners, yet still a somewhat challenging one for advanced players. Overall I rate this course as excellent!

Oldham Golfer

5+    4/13/2017   4/15/2017
Review By: nickhead
Pros: This course has opened!!!
Best two holes on this course are 15 and 16. Amazing Pa style holes, deep in the old growth. If you have played since the early 90's or so these two holes make the journey worth it.

Holes 3-6 are new growth and require strategy. Not all throws are power here.

Hole 11 and 14 are also fun holes I really enjoyed them as well.
Cons: The course layout was done with the other play areas in mind such as baseball, soccer, and other fields in mind. So the designers where stuck to the "mans" will here. With that being said the course is still really fun to play, and has the best layout they could negotiate. Thanks for the fight in getting this course set up.
Other Thoughts: Locals are cool and tons of new players. They are the new age disc golfers family folks. Keep it kind, and throw some knowledge their way.