Koloa, HI
Weliweli DGC Share
Uploaded By: d11rok Hole #3 (Taken 9/2017)

Weli Weli DGC

5+    5/22/2018   5/22/2018
Review By: danger24
Pros: -If you're on Kauai, this 9-hole course is definitely worth your time
-The holes are all Mach 5's, very sturdy, the best there is
-The grounds were well maintained, the fairways were all mowed
-I love the tree tunnel holes, holes 5 and 9
-Some great holes and different shots
Cons: -I am grateful for the concrete tee pads, but they're a bit too short
-The Tees and holes are marked, but the first time it's hard to know which holes you are headed toward because there is no map and some hidden holes. For example, the first tee we aimed for the seventh hole because it was right in front and hole one is hidden. Once you've played once it's easy to remember where you're headed.
Other Thoughts: Overall I am extremely grateful for a disc golf course on this island, and grateful for whoever organized and planned it. It really is a treat just having one permanent course on this island.

Bag a Hawaii course!

2-4    1/10/2018   1/13/2018
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: I had the fortunate opportunity to play this course during a week on Kauai for conference. My first thought after seeing that the island had a course was "man, I can get one state closer to all 50 played" (currently at 15 now).

First off, I think that the designers have really made the best out of a mostly barren landscape. Without going into a hole by hole (because it has already been done), I will say that this course if very Rh/Lh balanced. Most of the holes play in the open, while two of the holes (5 and 9) play through a pinball tight tunnel.

The baskets are some of my favorites. I love Mach 5s! They just feel so solidly built.

Teepads are small, but adequate for the distance required.

I really enjoyed playing around all of the cacti. I even got a FH flick lodged in on near the basket on hole 4.
Cons: Biggest cons that I see are mostly that the open shots don't require any level of line shaping. As easily as vegetation seems to grow on the island, the club should seriously think about planting something near at least a couple of the more open teepads to make the player shape a line.

The pinball holes I think are very close to being fair. However, the over the top line on both holes are wayyy easier than the tunnel shot. I personally threw a tomahawk on both holes and had easy putts. Hole 5, I would also cut a few of the small trees behind the basket... this would leave a comeback putt if you blow by the basket. Hole 9, I would cut the half cut trees straight to the ground. These are dangerous if somebody were to trip. Would also look at cutting that rhfh flex out just a little more. Any experienced player would throw the overland every time right now. And... I don't think that is what the designer wants.
Other Thoughts: Otherwise, this course is a great start to getting a dg scene on the island. What a paradise you guys have! Mahal!

Personal experience: Have co-designed two course, chief work mule at Black Bear DGC in Portsmouth, Ohio. I have now played 70 courses in 15 states.

Weliweli, Kauai

2-4    10/10/2017   10/17/2017
Review By: SunshineHoney
Pros: -Well laid out for the relatively small area.
-Concrete pads
-most holes are very open for the "less experienced" allowing them/me to "let er rip".
-good open parking
-bathroom facilities
-a few very tight tunnel shots through cactus (fun factor)
Cons: -pads are a little short
-no map or markers
-most holes a little too open offering little challenge
Other Thoughts: This was a fast course to play. We played 2 discs each and played 2 rounds. The entire open area is lined by cactus. If you send your disc into them you'll be sorry but that is the charm of this course and a much added "fun factor".

Nice First Course for Kauai

5+    7/9/2017   7/24/2017
Review By: ao11112
Pros: -Fun little course
-some ace runs, with other good challenging holes
-Great mix of shots (but very forehand friendly)
-great mix of distances (from 150-400ft, see below for the hole breakdown)
Cons: -no signs yet (coming soon I hope)
-bunch of open holes, but they did what they could with the space
-teepads are a bit short and raised so no extra run up
-still needs a little work
Other Thoughts: -not crowded at all. Only saw 2 people the 5 times I played
-The wind can be tough!
-course is still being worked on and really coming together

I used my range finder to get the distances and tried to give a rundown of the holes below:

Hole 1, 185ft. This hole starts right at the opening of the parking lot. it is wide open with the basket behind a small mound of grass. Plays straight into the wind to make it a little tricky.

Hole 2, 250ft. This is slightly downhill with the hill going from right to left. The wind also plays right to left so my preferred shot is a forehand.

Hole 3. 260ft. Plays uphill and wide open. The wind was heavily in our faces which was the only obstacle.

Hole 4, 330ft. This plays down the treeline with the basket set into the last set of trees. The wind is blocked here and the green was nicely cleared out so that once you penetrate the trees, the green is pretty clear.

Hole 5, 150ft. The local group cleared out some trees so this shot is a very tight tunnel playing slightly downhill. Although it is only 150ft, it is extremely tight and makes for a nice challenge.

Hole 6, 310ft. The teepad is back near hole 5's teepad and the basket is blind. The basket plays into the treeline on the right set up against some cacti. The best play is a forehand that skips way right and you have to get the distance right, This plays slightly downhill and down wind.

Hole 7, 400ft. Back across the open field towards hole 1, this is the longest hole. it is pure distance with the wind being the biggest obstacle going left to right. The teepad is also a bit short making the run up tough.

Hole 8, 310ft. The basket is again located just into the treeline. This hole plays downhill and sloping left into the treeline. The wind was also right to left so distance control is key.

Hole 9, 205ft. Another tunnel shot similar to hole 5, but this has a bend to the left then a bend back to the right. I think this hole needs some work because they only true shot for me was a stall putter up and over the trees. The line they are going for is so tight and so hard to hit, it is not worth taking IMO and I have a good forehand. A little more tree trimming and that line becomes very very fun to throw.

I am excited to come back here and see how the course progresses as it is still very new.