North Hills, CA

Share URL:

Work in progress

1    9/13/2017   9/14/2017
Review By: Redline4j
Pros: 18 Disc catcher baskets.
Metal signs with basket information.
Mowed grass course.

Cons: Course signs are an improvement based on previous reviews, but are still a work in progress. I never found the tee pad for 18. The tee pad for 13 is near tee pad 2 and 4, which is a long walk from basket 12. There was about 6 rubber tee pads, an improvement from past reviews.

Course map is still only available in the pro shop, so take a photo of the map prior to your round.

Grounds are not as nice at the Tajunga course that was recently closed.
Other Thoughts: This course is on a ball golf 9 hole course at the VA hospital grounds. The ball golf course is okay at best, but having a mowed DG course is nice. Don't expect a high caliber/high brow ball golf course. Cost is $5.00 per round. The signage is indicating multiple basket placement in the future, which is confusing for now and your first round.

Very Confusing and Frustrating

1    6/28/2017   6/28/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
This review was updated on 7/2/2017
Pros: It's nice that a small ball golf course added 18 baskets so we disc golfers have a place to go in a densely populated area.

The lawn gets mowed regularly since there are ball golfers who demand it.

There is a pro shop, mostly for ball golfers, so you can be introduced personally to the nightmare experience you're about to get yourself into.

The guy behind the counter told me, after he collected my $5, that I better take a picture of the course map on the wall since it does not match the ball course tees.

The picture on the wall is essential. Make sure you get a good picture since most of your round you'll be studying it to find out where to go next.

The guy behind the counter was kind enough to walk out to the first tee to help me locate it. He pointed down to an upside down disc and a red flag and said, "The tees should have these red flags marking the location but people keep pulling them out. So look for discs like this and follow the course map carefully."
Cons: From a technical view point the course is not challenging. There is zero elevation; it is a small flat ball golf course and they added 18 baskets. There are some mature trees but not utilized much. On 15 the basket is on the other side of 2 mature trees with an M and an arrow on each side. This mando required going through that somewhat narrow line, but overall there's not much technical challenge. I finally decided to challenge myself on the course by throwing mostly rollers, which was actually going okay.

Most of the red flag tee markers were gone. I think there were 3 left today.

About 3 holes had the tee number spray painted in red on the grass.

There were maybe 4 rubber tees.

A group of three ball golfers started just after I did. Several times when I had my head down hunting for the next tee, for example on 16 and 17, they were driving into the fairway that I was walking into the middle of to find my next tee.BE CAREFUL! It is one thing to worry about getting hit by a disc, but flying golf balls are scary.

The numbers on the basket are mostly turned the wrong way. This is inexcusable on a tight course where you are usually looking at several baskets from every tee. I played Northside Park, a small 9 hole in Azusa, and the main way you can identify the next basket there is that the appropriate number is facing you.

The 4 and 13 baskets are the opposite of what the map says.

The 15 tee disc marker was almost all the way to the basket. I suppose it got loose and someone decided to throw it.

There are distances marked on the course map for each hole but I don't think they're right. I threw a perfectly straight roller on 12 that almost reached the basket, which was supposed to be 430' away. No way! I stepped off my roller since I was pretty happy with it and it was only 300' which is still pretty good for me.
Other Thoughts: The problem of locating hard to find tees while being dangerously on an active ball course caused me to rank this course as "bad" and this inherent problem will be hard to fix unless the course management makes a commitment to placing clearly marking tees, like the reviews before me say they promise to do. Until tees are clearly marked, however, this will be a BAD experience for anyone going for the first time. All that said, however, if I lived in this area then I would likely come here during times there's no ball golfers and hunting for tees would not be a problem since I would have it figured out eventually. The other reviews said it was $7, so I was happy I only got charged $5.

I think most of us will throw a second disc often. On a ball course this felt very uncomfortable with so many people watching. I stopped early on and limited myself to one throw. That just seems wrong, but in the ball golf world it does not seem the accepted thing to do.

I uploaded a picture of the course map to this site from the club house since there was no map posted here. I have never seen a disc golf course this crowded and busy.

Spades new home course review

2-4    5/23/2017   5/23/2017
Review By: mayoral04
This review was updated on 5/25/2017
Pros: New course similar to Whittier, long and green. Close to home, not busy and well maintained. Plenty of parking, long holes and a few short holes, open, not a lot of trees and fairly flat. Baskets are numbered and spread out. Benches are available through out the course. The office has cold drinks for sale and friendly staff.
Cons: There are no maps in the office, holes are poorly marked, most holes have small red flags marking the tee and red paint on the grass, not good. Tees need to be marked better, with matts and signs. It is difficult to figure out the course at first, but gets easier after a few rounds. Little or no shade, so bring plenty of water. There are few few holes which could be closer together, example H5 to T6 and H7 to T8.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully they mark the course off better, more black matts with hole number on Matt and or T markers. Painting the baskets red/ white/ blue similar to Veterans. Improve the layout so it is more fluid would help as well. Reduces Snickers moments....

Ace of Spades Disc Golf

Spirit of Tujunga Lives On (Mostly)

1    5/13/2017   5/13/2017
Review By: BBB-SoCal
Pros: New course to play in the valley
Baskets from Tujunga are back in play
Even mix of long and short distance holes
Mostly grass playing field
Holes are well spaced apart to avoid jams and bunching up
Beginner-friendly course
Cons: Not a huge challenge (e.g. little OB, few trees, and only 2 mandos)
Fee is $7 per round (not all day)
You do have to share a course with ball golfers and play around them.
Not great shade cover (but there are benches and trash cans regularly through the field).
Not a scenic venue; no signature hole (yet)
Other Thoughts: Currently the tee pads are temporary and I am not marking a point off for that because I expect that to change soon.

Parking is a little tricky the first time around but should be easy thereafter.

There are snacks/water/bathrooms at the office, but not a full-fledged pro shop if you need that sort of thing.

We were a bit shocked that you have to pay for every round played. We wanted to have a second go-through to improve our scores but were told we needed to pay $7 again. At that price, this course is not a good value (especially compared to Sylmar ($2) or Oak Grove (free)).

All in all I would give this place a go if you live nearby or there is a tournament at one of the other courses. Otherwise, this is not a destination course unfortunately.

I do hope that this is just the beginning and that they continue to evolve the course (and their policies).