Canton, GA
Uploaded By: Protool1983 Hole #10

Mixed feels...

5+    4/22/2017   4/26/2017
Review By: HelloPoodles
Pros: * The "greens" here are scenic and interesting; putting is really quite challenging. A few holes have level greens, but for the most part you're going to be tossing uphill or downhill, sometime quite steeply, with lots of little trees in the way and roots at the ready to send your missed shots bouncing into the next county or into the pond. Putting here requires you to calculate risk/reward in a way that few courses do. Based only on "inside the circle", this is a ****-course.

* In spite of relatively modest course length and difficulty, the good holes at Sequoyah are memorable for a par 3 course. 2, 13, 17 and 18 have a lot of personality.
Cons: * Safety, safety, safety. A couple holes require you to throw over the road, a few run right along a walking path, fairly decent throws can cross fairways (13 and 12, 9 and 10) ...not to mention plenty of steep hills with lots of slippery roots (and this course is shady enough to where it always seems to be a bit wet).... Oh yeah, giant spiders lurking in the pond, too, lol. I don't want to oversell the danger, but do be careful out here folks!

* Too many filler holes. I can forgive a couple, but there's at least (charitably) four here. I don't think anything can really be done about it - the land is used effectively.

* Within the past year, the hole numbers have changed. The change has helped with parking (less competition from the ballfields at #1) but the signs haven't been updated. Actually, I'm not even sure the signs really help here, since some seem to be based on an even older layout. This one is definitely a little difficult to navigate.
Other Thoughts: I think of all the courses I've played I have the most mixed feelings about Sequoyah. For a par 3 course, the best holes here really are quite nice... but the bad ones are really cringe worthy, too. I really struggle to know how many stars to give this one. Ultimately, I do enjoy playing here, regardless of the course's drawbacks, however.

Since this course is out in the countryside, many times there are only a handful of people here. When the ballfields are in use, however, it becomes almost unplayable - cars and foot traffic constantly in the way.

Pro-tip: If your GPS tries to send you down "Little Road" just keep driving. That's just an old mule trail that'll only cost you time.

Because I'm weird and have too much free-time, I will now go basket by basket and give a grade:

1 - Nice little warm up hole with a tricky green. Unfortunately, you're throwing out over the walking path, and poor throws easily roll into a treacherous ravine. Kinda feel like this hole perfectly represents the good and bad of Sequoyah. I'll give it a B.
2 - I can see why some people hate this hole - the slope (actually, it's probably the closest thing I've seen to a cliff on a DG course) off to the right is realllly dangerous, but I still find this one to be a fun and challenging hole. Bounce one off the basket and you can easily be four or five-putting. A-.
3 - Ugh, bad, just bad. This one plays out over the road and at 400+ feet will require either a long turnover or a respectable forehand from a RH player - skills which most players that would play here lack. Bad shots go into the road that leads in from the entrance - yikes! D-.
4 - A modest little uphill flick for the RH player. This wouldn't be too objectionable, except for the fact that #10 and #11 are almost exactly the same. Lots of trees - practice your off-balance putting for this one. C.
5 - Another modest hole near the walking path, but it's a tight enough turn to be a blind hole thereby offering a bit of a challenge. B-.
6 - The fairway narrows down to a green absolutely filled with pine saplings. No doubt some would object to the luck factor involved here, but I find this sort of hole to be a test of your recovery (mental and disc golf) ability. It's entirely possible to be within 20 feet and not have a decent line to the basket. B.
7 - Only 180 feet down a steep hill but you've got to hit a realllly tight gap. Overhand seems to be the way to go here - I saw a guy get a roller ace (hit a root and bounced right into the basket) with that approach and for that reason alone, I'll give this one a B+. Apparently, this one has an alt pin position where you're going uphill, but I've never played it.
8 - A little over 300 feet dead straight but the fairway is the PERFECT width to remain challenging for us huckers. The "rough" has that perfect amount of trees where a well-executed scramble gets you back to par but it'll be challenging. A.
9 - Sloping, tree-lined fairway narrows down to an "unfairway" yet I still like this one. If the basket is in the long pin, I think this one is pretty hard to par, because almost everyone is gonna catch a tree in the gap and only a really good scrambling approach is going to get you within the circle. B+.
10 - Obviously running out of space. A wrist-flick gets you the 150 to the basket, but there's a rollaway danger here. C.
11 - This is pretty much the same as #10, just a little longer and more of a forced dogleg. C+.
12 - Very tight dogleg left. When the basket is in the long position, it's a fairly challenging par 3 relative to its length. B.
13 - Ahhh, I really love this one - it's just a fairly straightforward throw out over a valley, but it's so pretty and naturally plays to a RHBH throw, resulting in some exciting ace runs. A.
14 - Back across the valley, this time swooping to the right. This is another one where the pin being in the long position makes it a quite challenging par 3. A-.
15 - Another little filler hole, but the basket being on a downward slope adds some fun. B-.
16 - Ugh. This one requires you to throw over the road (drivers coming around a blind turn) and hit a gap you cannot really see from the pad. If games are going on at the field, you'll also be throwing over everyone's car parked on the shoulder, too. Although the pad is pointed towards the road, you could throw down a tunnel directly at the basket, but at the risk on beheading any joggers that come down the path. I think what I hate about this one is that, if the road wasn't there, this one would be really quite cool and A material, but I'm going to have to give it a D.
17 - This one is rather interesting. Only 300 feet, first you throw out over a pond that would claim only the worst possible newbie throw, but the well-protected basket lies over a blind hill, and sits very close to a muddy creek. I think advanced players will want to go ahead and challenge the basket, but the rest of us probably just play it safe and try to layup at the top of the hill. B+.
18 - This is a pretty sweet ending to a course - a very challenging par 3 that requires your driving/approaching/putting to be on just to par due to the number of trees and a basket in a very precarious position. Birdieing in the long position would be impressive. I will say - I wish somebody would put some logs down at the edge of the pond, because luckless rollaways into that pond really aren't very enjoyable. Solid A.

Another good option near Roswell & Alpharetta

1    11/25/2016   11/25/2016
Review By: Thothga
Pros: Nice challenging course, where you'll get some good exercise walking the hills.
Cons: Finding 1st tee was a challenge since they are moving the holes around. You gotta be really careful around the water on 17 &18th holes, we lost two disks.

Par for the course

1    7/11/2015   7/11/2015
Review By: Foyboy89
Pros: -Almost no traffic from other park activities
-good amount of "next tee" signage
-many of the holes had a good terrain features across a small valley or throwing off a steep drop off
Cons: -very few tee map signs. So while the tees were relatively easy to find the baskets were not (it didn't help that the baskets were grey metal color not brightly painted). Often I found myself having to walk down the fairway 50-200 feet to find the Basket and once on hole 12 I played the wrong basket the first time
-everything is a par 3...... boring (I only give 4.0 rating to par 56+ and 5.0 to par 62+)
Other Thoughts: not a bad course but not worth the drive for me. (especially with wills park and East Roswell park less than 15 min from my house) If the hole map signs were all there and it had a few par 4s and one par 5 it could be a great course there were lots of really fun terrain features and hole concepts. and the layout made a lot of sense except one or two holes

Under rated!

2-4    11/26/2011   11/26/2011
Review By: Chrisgeoguy
This review was updated on 5/31/2013
Pros: This is a great course. Not to long but great basket placement and trees in the right places to make you think twice.
Layout - Good variety with multiple basket positions. Mostly wooded. Great signage and the layout is well marked.
Tee pads are mixed some concrete and mats.
Maintained!!!!! The guys that maintain this course are always doing something. Once during the fall one guy brought a blower out to clear the fairway!
Holes 10 & 11 - These two are favorites. Shooting over valley with baskets same elevation as tee pad. Fun to launch it and watch them go. Baskets are well placed for these holes. 10 - is guarded by a tree and slightly to the left of the tee. 11 - is higher up and to the right.

13 - 18 Has to be the one place where I can turn a bad round back in to a positive. I know most people don't like these holes but they are great.
13 - Over the road into on coming traffic or down the trail. The first couple times you worry about it but you can see well enough that you shouldn't have an issue.
14 - Water to the right and the basket is down below tee box hidden. Great placement.
15 - My least favorite hole besides 6. Basket is to the.right with water possibly in play.
16 - Sweet hole now that the creek bank has been fixed. Basket is to left in the trees.
17 - Nice change in elevation. Basket is high and to right. Don't miss to the right!
18 - Throwing over the road again. No big deal.
Cons: Just erosion issues...but hopefully
it will improve with recent upgrades to park.
Hole 6 - when it is in the XL position. Makes for the longest hole in the course. (Just not my favorite.)
Other Thoughts: This course isn't going to be the hardest you play but is challenging. Holes 1-4 get you warmed up. 5 nice wide long straight shot. 7 & 8 are shorter but trees help make them challenging. 9 is a nice hole with a turn to the left.

I play this course a lot and it is fun. With the changing of baskets and the types of holes.

Great Day on the Course

1    10/18/2011   10/19/2011
Review By: wabrown23
Pros: -Restrooms located at #1 tee box which is also walk between 12 and 13.
-Several Benches and trash cans scattered throughout the course.
-Signs to next tee.
-Lots of parking
-Trails and Fairways were well kept.
-Holes 1-9, 12,14,15-18 (Not sure why everyone hates 17, great up hill anhyzer, fairway is open
Cons: -Hole signs, there are a few but not many and not in good shape, they also do not include all of the pin placements.
-A lot of blind pin locations, no flags or markings on holes to find pin from the tee. (1,2,4,6,8,9,12,14,15,16,17) It appeared that A positions were visible from the Tee but very few holes were in A position.
-Hole 13... Plays down a road. Really just poor design.
-Holes 6,10,11 all share a fairway
-Holes 3 to 4 and 6 to 7 you have to back track on the fairway to gt to the next tee box, this could cause back up on busy days.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course, a few locals were out and they were friendly. Course was clean and well kept, not the most challenging course but I would consider it a great intermediate course.

Course changed

5+    5/27/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: Dsplayname
Pros: The maintenance of the course is pretty good, as it has always been. The "signature holes" are still there, with #14 getting longer and better, new #15 is my favorite. Today, there was a little league game, so the concession stand was open for business. $2 for powerade, $3 for bratwurst. Cougars galore!
Cons: It feels like they shortened most of the course. The front nine are all short(as was the pin placements for them), and can all easily be birdies. Classic #17 is gone, which I miss. New #17 is like a nightmare from White Oak, and is too demoralizing for the end of the round. Oh yeah, there are next tee signs, but not really any proper maps or hole layouts at the tees.
Other Thoughts: For the most part, this has become too easy of a course for my taste. The entire front 9 can be played in 18 strokes, and the only challange is a few trees. There isn't much requirement for skills or luck until you get to 14. The game changes drastically from 1-13 being pretty easy, to 14-17 becoming a real difficulty. 18 is a nice solid par 3 to finish out felling good. If only they could add 100 more feet on to holes 1-9, I'd call it a much better course. I left this course feeling like I should have gone to Central Park in Cumming for more of a challenge.

5+    3/7/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: TylerD
Pros: Sequoyah park is a nice little pitch and putt course, with a couple of holes that give you the opportunity to open it up. The designers have done a nice job with the amount of land they had to work with. There are two things you have to do to score well out there, throw straight and get out of trouble. The shule can be punishing, but it is fair.

95% of the holes are valid. This is not a chuck and pray wooded course. The back six are fun.
Cons: The local barneys seem to have no understanding of the etiquette rules. Watch out for people throwing when you are still on a hole. Also, it's very easy to find groups of 5 or 6 that do not want to let you play through.

Hole nine's short left position
Hole ten's short left position
Other Thoughts: Do not listen to the barneys that have written reviews about the back six, for they are barneys. Chances are, if you can only throw 250 ft, you won't care too much for challenging holes with water, or holes that have other park activities located near them. We get it, you are scared.

This is a fun course and it can be rewarding. I would recommend playing it if you are in the area.

First Course I Ever Played...

1    10/17/2009   10/24/2009
Review By: JoshBoggs
Pros: I liked the course, in general. I always played around in the woods as a kid, so this was not out of the ordinary for me. The first 13 holes were very fun and technical. You can definitely hone your technical skills here if you play the course a lot.
Cons: As a beginner, the water on Holes 14 and 15 intimidated me. I don't want to go fishing for discs in the water. Didn't find the painted tee box on Hole 17 until we ran into another disc golfer... may need some fresh paint.
Other Thoughts: I'm a first timer, so take this review for what you will. I had a good enough time playing this course with my friend that I'm getting into the sport. I've gone out once and now have 8 discs for all different styles of throwing. This course may scare some away with the wooded landscape and the up and down terrain, but as a home course, I think it will suit me just fine and strengthen my game for courses that aren't wide open and lack some technical features.

A worthwhile stop

1    3/31/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: Nice mix of uphill, downhill and sidehill holes in pretty pine forest. Some really nice tunnel shots demanding accuracy, particularly on the front. The drive on #10 across the valley to the guarded pin up the hill is a treat. Nice little pond shot on 14 (I think). #16 is a very challenging uphill/sidehill combo where par is a pretty good score. Nice tees.
Cons: I had a bit of difficulty finding the first tee, sign or two on the way in would help. There are a few pretty short holes on the front that aren't particularly challenging. #13, #17 and #18 play over the park road and around a ball field and give the impression some of the course was shoe-horned in.
Other Thoughts: There are a number of other activities in this park so I have an appreciation for what it must have taken to get a disc golf course included. I'm in the minority as I actually liked the last 6, particularly the infamous #16, though I can see where this might be a tricky walk when the course is wet. When you take into account this is a multi-use area the designers really did a nice job here. This course is worth playing if you're in the area.

A good time

1    7/26/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Lots of elevation change. Some tight, but clear fairways. Mostly concrete pads and the signs that existed were nice. Hole 10 is spectacular, I could stand on that hill and throw my whole bag if I wasn't afraid of losing half of it by forgetting where they went. Not a whole lot of non-dg traffic in the park. The wooded holes have 100,200,300 foot lines painted on the trees. Very cool way to see how far you threw. We also realized that a clothespin tells you what pin position is used on some holes with signs.
Cons: Many signs missing. On 6 we actually both decided on a do-over because the pin was waaaay beyond what we thought possible (most have one alt, this one seemed to have 4). Bathrooms were locked, park seemed kind of deserted....but not creepy.
Other Thoughts: A challenging, but not frustrating course. We really liked 4a, 10, 11 and 7 and 12 gave us fits. We did only play the front 12 because most people say to avoid the rest and it was 95 degrees and we were dying.

We drove 31 miles to check out this course and were not disappointed.