DeFuniak Springs, FL
DeFunk Disco Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #1 (Taken 8/2017)

Share URL:

A Fun Course to Enjoy, But Don't Mistake Fun For Easy!

1    11/11/2017   11/13/2017
Review By: jotruelove
Pros: - New course
- A chance for big arms to show off, and finesse players to do their thing
- Not a lot of foot/park traffic to deal with on the course
- Excellent t-pads (for me, the best t-pads are the ones I do not notice when throwing)
- Unique guides to the next hole to play
- Interesting holes that test most discs in your bag. Bring them all!
- A natural flow from the the green to the tee pads.
- A creative "island" on hole two make the long drive more interesting.
- A pro tee that you launch over a tennis court fence gets in your head!
- No blood sacrifice required to fetch a disc out of the rough.
- A nice pavilion between the front and back nine to take a break at.
- Nice hole maps and distance markers on each t-pad.
Cons: - No real cons to note. Just nit picks here.
- We were unable to find the pro tee on hole 2.
- I am sure not a trend, but a fellow player park his car ON the pro tee line (hole one).
- Basket numbers would be nice.
- Pro pads measurements not marked on all holes
Other Thoughts: When leaving this course with my round partner, I said "I had fun." He agreed. I have never proclaimed that regarding a course before. I have left a course feeling "beat on", exhausted, elated, bleeding, strong, etc. But in my throwing experience I have never left a course feeling like I had fun.

This course does not allow you to lean on your strengths. If you are a bomber alone, you will not do well in the technicals. If you are good at steering, flexing, skipping but do not have a reasonable distance throw, the front 9 will get you.

All that being said, don't be afraid of this course. It is not overwhelming, as every shot is fair. Easy, no, but fair.

We played the back 9 first to loosen up for the front 9.

I like this course. I really like this course. If you like moving the disc around, and enjoy seeing far you can throw, or just having fun in our sport, this course is for you.

A Tale of Two Different Nines, Part II

2-4    9/23/2017   9/13/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
This review was updated on 9/25/2017
Pros: (2.404 Rating) (REVISED - replayed late September 2017) A brand new course with two opposing styled nines. The front nine is an open layout with a few 400 footers. The back nine is full of wooded ace runs with a few nice shot shaping opportunities. I could see a young bomber crushing an old vet in the beginning of this layout only to watch his lead fall apart at the end.
- ACEABILITY - There are several technical chip shot ace runs on this course. The run of holes (13-17) specifically stands out where the average hole length is 180 feet. Not quite as many ace runs as nearby Ferry or Morgan, but the locals will begin to rack-em up here.
- CHAINS - Brand spanking new, blue power coated MachV's. What a wonderful basket to throw at.
- SHOT SHAPING - The back nine has a few real nice plays. Hole (18), easily my favorite shot, is a narrowing 300 foot fairway with the basket cutting left at the end. In addition, several of the shorter shots have to be on slightly angled precise lines to provide the best angle to attack the basket from.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - As the course continues to beat in, I feel the current set up will be near optimal for its intended purposes. It will be welcoming to beginners and rec players, but yet there's also still just enough here to keep the local advanced player entertained.
- QUICK PLAY - I've completed a two sum in 75 minutes and solo in 50 minutes. Figure a typical group of four, 100 to 120 minutes to play this one.
- MAINTENANCE - Improving. The open front nine appears to be well maintained. Little trash was observed, cut grass, very few dead limbs or branches along the layout. The back nine is still a work in progress but already better than several woods courses I've played recently.
- SCORING SEPERATION - I think this course is going to produce some good scoring battles. Missing a 6 to 8 foot gap fifty feet down fairway on the back nine is a par at best. Where as a solid technician, will go 5 or 6 down on a routine basis on the back. Similarity on the front, a big arm will get several more looks at birdie than that of a player maxing out with 300 foot shots.

Cons: Typical new course issues.
- NAVIGATION - Improved since initial review. There are numerous directional arrows below basket and pavers directional cues where in the process of being installed during my last visit . Will need numbered tees and baskets and then some hole signage.
- CHARACTER - Improved since initial review and is now about average. Awesome baskets, practice basket and a finishing shelter, the young course also just got benches installed at a majority of the holes but its still missing many of the extras that you'll see on an established course. In addition to the missing tee signs, only two holes with multi tees and there are no multi baskets placements. The course shelter has a few picnic tables and is located near (9) basket and tee (10). Also, the shelter is somewhat near tee (1) and (18) basket as well. Restrooms are in the park, but they are not along the layout.
- MULTI USE HAZARDS - A few holes, (7) and especially (8 thru 10) bring other park patrons into play. My group had to ask people to move on (9). On (10), cars will come into play on the right.
- FORGIVENESS - The back nine is still rough around the edges in spots. The city recently came through and removed many of the small shrubs. It will be sometime till all the rough edges get smoothed out. Newer players may not entirely enjoy this portion of the course at first, but it will make them a better player.
- LAYOUT FLOW - A few flow issues. There are several locations where you'll need to traverse to the next tee via the next hole's mid fairway and backtracking. This is especially prevalent on back to back holes (15 and 16) It could cause minor flow problems or hazards when smaller groups reach larger groups.
- UNIQUENESS - A bit below average. To start, the contrasting nines of heavily wooded versus open. Several tunnel shots and a couple loosely defined left breaking pockets to hit. For those that max out at around 400 or shorter, there will be a few open bomber holes. As for missing variety items, no par 4's or 5's, no doglegs, no water and no elevation.
- DIFFICULTY - I think a rec player should be able to crack par here from time to time, so the challenge is going to be fairly light for an advanced player. For those that live in the area, DeFunk Disco is easier than the ChainDragon's back tees and Boggy. However, its more challenging than Morgan, Ferry and ChainDragon's front tees. If you're looking for a more challenging course, I'd recommend Anderson Pond or better yet, driving to Tally.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - I'd give the back nine a 3 out of 5. Sure its wooded, but it doesn't have the water or the elevation features like that of the wooded courses I've scored higher. The front, is less than ideal for those players who love the scenic courses. Other than hole (6), the number of trees in play in the front, is minimal. There are also manmade structures in view, including numerous chain link fences.
- SPACING - Tee (11) is in play from a slightly errant shot from (10). Holes (1 thru 5) parallel each other and are with minimal tree protection. In totality however, it made minimal impact on my rating.
Other Thoughts: I got to play the christening round for the full 18 hole course with Mr Butlertron. This took place after a 3 hour course fairway clearing party. What a great guy to spend an morning with talking disc golf. On my third round out here I got to play with the course designer, another awesome guy. In all, DeFunk Disco is not a world view changing course, but one I'd happily play after a day's work. I'm in this area now and again, and as always, l will continue to update my review as the course improves.

NICE COURSE NEEDING WORK

1    7/22/2017   8/9/2017
Review By: KINGDUCK
Pros: -fun course
-nice mix of long and short holes
-great baskets
-family oriented park
-restrooms near by
Cons: -needs signs
-confusing first time without signs
-needs tee boxes
-park events may interfere with course
-back nine needs work
Other Thoughts: -Lost without someone to show me around without signs
-awesome potential of park once completed
-would highly recommend to others once completed

Disco Stu.... doesn't advertise

5+    11/4/2017   7/9/2017
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
This review was updated on 11/10/2017
Pros:

- free course, plenty of parking
- located within a well maintained community park
- brand new blue Mach 5 baskets, highly visible
- combines two types of course play: short and technical with more open, longer fairways
- cart friendly for the first half of the course
- well rounded introduction course for beginners
- plenty of park amenities: bathrooms, water, shaded rest areas, a playground if you come with the fam
Cons:

- brand new course, a little rough around the edges in general
- hole overlap between a few early holes
- no directional signs between holes
- natural tees
- no tee signs
- no numbers on baskets
- 8 through 10 are in multi use areas where pedestrians could potentially be in the way
- 10 has a parking lot running parallel to the fairway
- woods holes need more clearing, especially around baskets
- woodsy holes felt repetitive, fairly short
- flat course

A course was born today! I've been keeping close tabs on the course developments in DeFuniak Springs and decided join a fairway clearing party this morning. The baskets had been planted already, all they needed were some volunteers to help clear the second half of the course. I figured I could volunteer, play the course, and hurriedly write the first review in one fell swoop. What could go wrong? What went wrong is that WellsBranch, another TR course bagger, and his team of lab coat wearing course calculating scientist cronies had beat me there! Before I even stepped out of my car, he'd probably already figured out the enjoyability level of the course on random Tuesday evenings of a leap year with that fabulous reviewer rating formula of his. After a few hours of clearing we hung up our gardening gloves and threw the course together.

DeFunk is located within a large multi use park. It features two distinct styles of play on the front and back 9. The front 9 was wide open with a mix of distances, mostly 300ft+. The second half was sorter and much more technical. Wells and I navigated the course using the map provided on the Dyfuniak DeFunk Disc facebook page. I added the course map that we used to DGCR. The front 9 tees were marked with white PVC, not numbered. On the back 9 we guesstimated were to throw from. As we left, the real volunteers were installing what looked to be chunks of wood attached to rebar. My guess is that they're to mark the natural tees in the woods.

The front 9 started to the right of a baseball field. This area was flat and well landscaped. The layout worked its way clockwise around an open field. The holes were long and open, but used the available trees to shape the fairways. Most of them had both hyzer and anhyzer lines available. As these holes transitioned to the back 9 they also started to conflict with more pedestrian activities, unfortunately. Once in the woods pedestrians ceased to be a problem.

The back 9 were much shorter than the front 9. The technical nature of these holes will probably result in more scoring separation than the beginning. These holes were mostly straight with tight low ceilinged fairways. If I had to guess, I'd say they averaged under 200ft. More clearing will be needed for this section of the course, which will likely come as the course continues to take shape. Hopefully, they'll give these holes a little more length in the future. As is, they all felt a little short and repetitive. 18 was my favorite of the back 9 and ultimately the most fun of the woodsy holes.

In closing, I'd like to point out that my personal rating is much less about giving a number than simply providing information. Seldom do course start off being awesome from the get go. I fully understand that the course will continue to develop. DeFuniak Springs is only an hour drive away, I'll likely be back multiple times this year to revisit and adjustment of my review/rating. Hell, I'll probably be back to do some of the maintenance if they'll have me again. I enjoyed the contrasts between the front and back 9. This will be a perfect introduction course for the locals.

Update: The course has come a long way since first opening. The back 9 has received a lot of attention and most of the brush has been dealt with. In addition to more clearly defined fairways, concrete tees and quality tee signs have now been installed. There's even a few alternate holes throughout the course.

As for cons, it's impossible to overlook the tee pad situation. They're too short to comfortably x- step on. One could argue that the holes with small tees are short enough to stand and deliver from, but I still think they got it wrong. A few low power players I know felt especially handcuffed by the inability to generate the extra power (x-step) needed to reach these pins. Also, there's still a few bush stumps throughout the back 9. It would improve the consistency of fairway skips and bounces if they were eventually removed. +.5 rating bump. Keep up the good work, Disco dancers.