Tuscaloosa, AL
Bowers Park Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #8 (Taken 4/2010)
Hole #8 Tee: "PINBALL WIZARD"

Dissapointed

1    7/7/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: TheCarGuy
Pros: The course is minutes off of the interstate. The course has good baskets that catch well. It is located in a very pretty park that seems to be well maintained. I did not notice very much trash. Ran into a local fellow on the first tee and he asked me to join up with him and was very friendly. Easy to get to the next tee pad.
Cons: The biggest problems I had with the course were poor tee pads, too much luck involved for my tastes, bad bridges or a lack there of and not knowing where the baskets were.

The tee pads are carpeted and very slick. I fell hard on the 3rd hole and completely shanked my drive. After hole 3 too many of the holes seemed like a poke and hope for me. Some of the holes were hard to play because of the bridge issue. Many of the baskets were not identifiable from the tee pad which is ok but it would be nice to have something letting you know what position it is in.
Other Thoughts: There were multiple basket locations on every hole. The local I played with told me most were in the C position other that the ones that the locks were stuck on. Of all the positions C seemed like the worst, almost like they just put them there to put them there to say there were multiples. I might have liked it a little better if it was laid out in the other positions which seemed like they were the originals and had better defined fairways. I also expected more based on the previous reviews. I have played some courses that really were 4 star courses and this course is no where near the same caliber as those. Had it not been for the extremely nice local I probably would have been even more frustrated.

Best course i've played yet!..but...

1    6/21/2010   6/21/2010
Review By: Nathanbr2
Pros: 1) Best Playing course i've played (out of around 20 courses)

2) extremely good use of elevation, creeks, and woods.

3) first couple of holes are EXTREMELY deceptive. they look nice and relatively simple, but the farther you go on this course, the better it gets

4) A Very good challenge for anyone

5) Holes 8/ 9/10/11- Just...wow. you know you're in trouble when a hole is aptly named "the pinball wizard"

6) fairly good navigation on this course
Cons: 1) couple of bad signs

2) Slick carpet tees- had to throw from a standstill on some

3) Creek crossings- NEED SERIOUS WORK... a bridge that is falling apart, and cement filled tires which we're covered in water when i was there.

4) Posion Ivy, I missed all of it, but did see it, keep your eyes open.

5)Course has High Potential to eat disc due to underbrush and the long holes over valleys.
Other Thoughts: Course itself gets a 4.5 or possibly a 5 in my opinion, but the tees and creek crossings are a big negative.

If those two things could be improved upon, this would easily be one of...if not the best course in the state

also, a few more benches would be nice...but not really a big deal in my opinion

Great Course

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: tjohnson99
Pros: Some long and short shots. Well marked and it's very easy to find the next tee. Each tee pad was in ok shape and some even had brooms that could be used to sweep off any extra dirt.
Cons: There needs to be some bridges put in over the creek. It was difficult to cross and we had to get a little wet when crossing them.
Other Thoughts: Over all the course was good. It's was not easy after the first three holes, but it didn't seem impossible. If I'm ever back in that area I will for sure stop by and play it again.

Quality course for Title Town

1    4/18/2010   4/19/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Excellent wooded course. I'm used to wooded courses, and this one ranks up there with some of the best.
The throwing lines are fair on every hole, and 3's are possible on every hole, so long as you hit the fairways.
Three pin positions make for a unique challenge. Different distances, doglegs, and elevations. Real thought here.
Tee signs are great, showing the 3 pin positions and lines, and the hole names.
Hole names -- how sweet is that? Sleepy Hollow, Camelot, Why Why, etc. A nice touch!
Great use of the landscape. Not much elevation change in Tuscaloosa, but the course makes use of what there is. The creek adds some risk/ reward.
The park itself is awesome. Lots of running room, baseball fields, basketball, etc. And right off the highway and close to Alabama's campus. The course doesn't get in the way at all, except maybe the first two holes, really just the second hole, but not even that bad.
Park management was cleaning up, on a Sunday morning. Looks like they do a great job with it.
Benches on lots of holes, very high up(I'm 6'3" and couldn't touch the ground while sitting!).
Brooms on most tees to sweep tee clean. Another great touch.
Cons: Poison ivy, just keep your eyes peeled.
Crossing the creek(s) aren't much fun. I don't mind getting wet on a disc golf course, I'm used to it, but if you're gonna try get people across, use better than tires and concrete blocks(or at least use more of them).
There is a bridge over some stagnant water that you would NOT want to fall in, and the bridge is very bouncy and warped -- I weigh under 200lbs and was not comfortable crossing it.
Kinda straight. There are some slight doglegs, but mostly it's fairly straight. May have been the B pin placement, but I looked at the other pin spots too.
Tee pads. It's been said, but for all the positives and work done on this course, good tees would be the biggest improvement. I didn't have any trouble with what's there though.
No fours or fives. If I hadn't had such fun at the U of A A-Day game, I would have been hitting threes on every hole.
Other Thoughts: With better tee pads and a few easier ways to cross the creeks, this course would be right up there.
I just posted a bunch of pics, these should help. I enlarged the tee signs on some pics.
Wish I'd been into disc golf when I was at the U of A!

Great Potential

1    3/9/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: Mr Mirth
Pros: This is a very fun and challenging course set in a nice park mere minutes off the interstate. A variety of throws are required to navigate thick woods, some excellent elevation, a bit of water, left and right turns, with some good risk/reward pin placements. Good signs, flat tees and well defined fairways (excepting a few) make for easy flow, starting with open holes but quickly becoming technical. As with most heavily wooded courses, errant drives and seconds can be severely punished.
Cons: Carpet tees; all in all not bad, being flat and solid, but concrete is always an improvement. Bridges too, would be an improvement the few times you cross a creek. And while alternate pin placements are a definite plus, they need be clearly and correctly marked. Although a few holes still needed fairways they certainly make you utilize a variety of shots!
No one hole stands out as "signature."
Other Thoughts: Unfortunately I played this course only once but it left me wanting more. Fortunately, it was quite fun (so much so I felt it deserves a review) and I'd look forward to flying there again, no doubt. An excellent technical challenge for any level player this course has great potential.

great course right off the freeway

1    11/5/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: Bowers Park has a great flow through a park perfectly suited for disc golf. I like how it starts with a few long, open holes to get the arm warmed up and then it gets technical by hole 4 all the way to 18. The wooded holes were well-defined and not as frustratingly difficult as they could have been. The designer put in a lot of thought into the shot shape of each hole and there weren't many oddly placed obstacles/trees to get in the way of a well-placed shot. This layout provided more downhill holes than uphill too. When I first stepped into the woods, i expected to occasionally have trouble finding discs (especially with the fallen leaves). This wasn't a problem as there was very little rough to worry about! These factors helped make this a FUN play as opposed to a highly technical frustratingly challenging play. Bowers park is definitely one of the more fun wooded courses I've played. I appreciated the multiple pin positions on each hole although it wasn't always clear where each pin was hiding. Signs were basic but useful
Cons: With concrete pads and a few bridges (instead of concrete-filled tires throughout the creek), I'd rate this course as a very strong 4 star. The carpet wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I did slip a few times on my run-up. I would imagine that these and the rubber pads would be trecherous when a little wet. As a positive, they were at least pretty uniformly flat. rubber teepads can get lumpy without proper maintenance
Other Thoughts: Driving from Louisville to New Orleans, this was a perfect pit-stop off the 59/20 hwy and exit 73. It is seriously a 1 minute drive from the highway! I played it with a friend in about an hour and we each had a thoroughly enjoyable disc golf experience.

Nice wooded course

1    8/13/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: jgentry
Pros: This is a nice wooded course that starts you off with a 3 long holes that are mostly open with some big mature trees. From there you go into heavy woods for the rest of the round. The woods for the most part are tight and pretty thick. The majority of the holes have well defined fairways. There are mutliple pin location of every hole. 3 of the holes incorporate a nice little creek that can make for some really nice holes with baskets right before or just over the creek. There is a good mix of left and right throws.
Cons: Concrete pads would be nice but the carpet actaully felt fine.

A couple of the holes were kind of a crap shoot. Hit your first gap and hope.

There bidges over the creek need to be replaced, one of them was even missing.

The first hole buy the creek the pin was not in the marked location. I threw over the creek to were it was supposed to be only to get down there and find no bridge over the creek and the basket on the short side over to the left.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty tough course but was a fun play. There are some really nice holes and several duece oppurtunies. If you are close it is well worth checking out.

A Great Home Field to Play On

5+    8/2/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: rolltidegopokes
Pros: Fantastic wooded course that will keep you coming for more. Very possible to score birdies on every single hole if you can keep your disc in the fairway and gain some accuracy. Lots of diverse terrain that makes for different challenges in strategy and approach. Great multiple
Cons: Tee pads aren't all in place and sometimes the pin location changes without notice. Also, nothing but par 3s on this course. Lots of potential for a couple of par 4s, or even a par 5. The greens and fairways are also not as clean as other courses can be.
Other Thoughts: I live 4 miles away from the course and learned to play here. I have played several other courses since learning here and can honestly say we have a very challenging course that has made the group I play with better and competitive even on courses that we have never played on before.

2-4    4/18/2009   4/19/2009
Review By: wdemick
Pros: great course. Has everything a challenging woods course should have. tight fairways, good pin positions and baskets guarded by trees and the creek on three holes
Cons: rained both rounds I played so tee pads were very slick. carpet pads were O.K.
Other Thoughts: I have only played twenty or so courses but this may be my new favorite.

5+    1/24/2009   1/27/2009
Review By: Justin L
Pros: Outstanding elevation, an eclectic selection of holes, and a the potential to be a par 60+ course. This is quickly becoming my favorite course in Alabama. I've played this course probably 7 or 8 times and every time I've left exhausted, frustrated, and awesomely impressed.
Cons: Carpet/Flypad teepads can get slick, leaves can cause you to spend some time looking for discs.
Other Thoughts: I _really_ like the new C positions, but I think that to many of them are similar. If the positions were shuffled a bit to add variety to the rounds it would help tremendously. Figure out a way to pour concrete in the woods and this course turns into the best in the state hands down! The local players are some of the nicest I've ever met. If you have the chance stop in for a tournament or doubles!