Leander, TX
Williamson County DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 3/2013)

Share URL:

Newbie that always plays

2-4    4/18/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: coachhart25
Pros: 1. I do like the shade and trees. I also like that the holes are not more than 1000 feet like I have been used to playing at old settlers. The paths for the most part are great that lead you from hole to hole especially early on. There was some minor confusion from like holes 4-8 the first time we played, but it was resolved fairly quickly. I do like how even though it is pretty compact the trees appear to be slimmed out some. This means for us newbies that the odds are good that even with you thorns into the trees you will be able to find it and it should come down.
Cons: I would have loved to seen maybe a water jug somewhere on the course, and maybe some some more benches. At old settlers they have nice signs at the tee boxes that show the par and distance Andy at wilco we have rocks. The dollar to play? Not bad, but I always get wary it's going to turn Ike gass prices... 1dollar a gallon? cool. 2bucks? Ok not bad, and the price keeps climbing... It is very rocky, which is not terrible but I do play will a baby jogger, so it is tough at times, but not as bad as brushy creek(cat hollow)
Other Thoughts: Please note that I am new to disc golf and this review is mostly for people like me that are starting to play more and really like to play...I might not have the technical background and am trying to keep it simple stupid on purpose!

Overall I think it is funniest course of three that I have played, with old settlers, and cat hollow. If I was just playing first though I would go to old settlers and just skip the water holes because I know I wouldn't lose my discs!

Wilco

5+    4/6/2012   4/7/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
This review was updated on 4/12/2012
Pros: This is THE course to play in this part of the Austin area. It places a premium on disc placement and accuracy and will challenge the play of any disc golfer. The holes all have concrete tees. There are lots of tables and benches as well as trash cans. I like the number of left and right holes on this course. Holes 1 and 2 are short shots as kind of warm-ups before you get to the first two par four holes of 3 and 4. Hole 5 is a short throw around some trees before tackling number 6 which has more trees and is a par 4 dogleg right. With the exception of hole 10, which is a 784 foot left and right par five drive to the basket, most of the rest of the holes are short shots through trees or open fairways. Exceptions to this are holes 9 and 15, which are doglegs right and will challenge a golfer to place their throws just right to obtain birdie or par. Hole 14 is a wide open grip and rip 600 footer as well as 16 and 17. Hole 18 is a 600 foot straightaway that a golfer could possibly throw a good straight shot, but they would have to watch out for the trees that encroach on the fairway in a couple of places. Great course. Excellent layout. The course is pay to play, but $1 is well worth the price for this excellent disc golf experience.
Cons: The only con I can see is a reference to another reviewer: The course seems to favor the LHBH or LHFH player. This can be dealt with easily though with some well thought-out and well placed shots.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, you owe it to yourself to play this course at least once. I am willing to bet that, once it is played, you will want to come back again. I know I did and will do so several times more.

5+    11/26/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Excellent technical course. From hole 1 to hole 18 its a battle between you and the trees. Most holes are narrow passages between trees and brush but a few holes have some open fairways (mostly on the back 9). Distances vary. A few short under 300 foot holes and goes all the way to 600 foot holes. Water never comes into play. A decent variety in straight holes to right and left legged holes. This course will strain your accuracy and shot selection. If you only throw RHBH you might need to pull out a RHFH or really work on you anhyzer and hyzer. No holes are the same so you are having to analyze every hole before throwing. This course is challenging but fun. If you only play open courses or you enjoy a challenge you need to come play Wilco
Cons: This course is pay to play (1$) which is no big deal. Nobody makes you pay but be a good golfer and pay to toll. My biggest complaint on the course is the amount of dog leg rights. The course heavily favors RHFH or LHBH which can be good because it tests the player but in my opinion there are too many and courses should favor none but be neutral. There are no elevation changes and no water hazards. Gets a little crowded on weekends. Might get stuck behind families or large groups but they will usually let you play through if you put some pressure on them.
Other Thoughts: This course is fun and definitely worth your time. If you are in the North Austin area I would recommend playing it. Will test your skills and demand consistency.

Wilco Regular

5+    11/2/2011   11/4/2011
Review By: Robrasta
Pros: Generally wooded course but great for all skill levels. Hole lengths not terribly long (except for #10) but dog legs and trees demand variety of shots/skills. Easy navigation,well marked trails (follow the stone-lined paths), relatively condensed layout,and overall natural setting make this a solid course. Not uncommon to see youngsters and other family members tagging along with golfers for the walk in nature.Plentt of parking across main park drive and other activities inside huge county park.
Cons: * No elevation changes or water in play.
* Could use more trash cans
* Lots of cactus and thorn bushes throughout course- just off of fairways. I usually leave the shorts and sandals behind.
* Rocks strewn throughout fairway on some holes. Ive twisted the ankles more than a few times.

Other Thoughts: Happy to say WCDG is my home course and dont mind paying the $1 fee to play. Course is well maintained and WILCO PARKS and REC is in the process of moving their headquarters right next to the course which will hopefully translate to continued upkeep.

I like it, I really do, since it is the closest nice course to my house....

5+    7/26/2011   7/27/2011
Review By: jasperpipestone
Pros: Some rewarding holes. I play this course because of #3(long S curve),4(somewhat wooded, right turning dogleg),6(somewhat wooded, right turning dogleg),10(long arduous placement hole),14(hard to birdie Par 4), and 18(dead straight long hole-my nemesis). 4 and 6 are pretty much the same hole so 5 interesting challenges out of 18 is pretty good compared to most forgettable fling and putt courses out there. Several of the other holes require a decent turnover drive, forehand, or precise up shot; so other than rolling, any noticeable elevation change, or having to clear a big pond you get a pretty good workout of your dg skill-set. There are trees in some fairways, but not to the extent that there is no line or you have to battle to get out of the woods if you are knocked down early on a drive. Also trees or canopy near the tees reduce the ability to defeat the layout of the course with huge hyzers or thumbers. There are also 2 - 3 other courses somewhat nearby if absolutely need to get in that quick 72-90 holes of dg in. I often times play Wilco a couple times and then what's on this site as Brushy Creek Sports Park DGC or Brushy Creek MUD DGC. But if you are travelling through and only have one day in Austin I'd play Wilco and Circle C Metro @ Slaughter Creek. I don't rate this course as highly as some because it is quite subjective and I've played courses that were indeed world class or left warm fuzzy feelings because of their combination of challenge/environment/amenities. This course is definitely promising if it gets further amenity development/expansion. There are bathrooms, a train ride for the Thomas addicted kiddees, playground, tennis, and jogging trail if your significant other or family isn't into DG.
Cons: Just 18 holes and one layout(pin positions). I wish there was a 6-9 hole tight and wooded section to break up the monotony and make you happy that the course opens up again when you emerge. Currently no water available near the actual course or parking lot. Fountains aren't really working and the water that is in the bathrooms is a little funky tasting so bringing your own is advised. No benches on any holes, even the ones commonly prone to back-ups. Need at least 6-8 more trash cans on the course. There can be a bit of drinker/smoker trash on the course and broken bottles near tees; although not near as bad as any major city city park courses I've played.

Nice Course

1    5/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: slicemaster
This review was updated on 6/9/2012
Pros: - Excellent tee boxes. These were the best have played on.
- The fairways and rough are well defined. Also nice that the rough doesn't eat your disc a la East Metro.
- I saw some one said it was hard to navigate but I thought the total opposite. I had a local tell me to just follow the rock path and I never had trouble finding my way.
- Challenging tree lines that really test your accuracy. I have also seen this as a complaint but seriously play North Town if you really want some ridiculous lines.
- You are pretty much guaranteed not to lose a disc at this course, if you do you are just lazy.
- Good variety of distance from hole to hole. Nothing too short or long but a good mix.
- Baskets are in great shape, no loose tops or excessive graffiti.
Cons: - No water. To me this alone should make this course less than 4 stars. I'm sure some people like not having to lose disc in a creek or pond but it is an essential to any 4 star rated disc golf course imo.
- The amount of rocks and roots really take away from the enjoyment of this course. I had many shots stop dead upon hitting the ground when normally they would get an extra 15-30 ft. Don't plan on throwing any rollers out here.
- Very crowded park in terms of disc golf and everything else going on at least on the weekends. Not many secluded areas to do your business, whatever that may be.
- Very flat, elevation is never a factor here.
Other Thoughts: For a pay to play and a 4 star rating this course did not deliver for me. It isn't all that challenging and without water or elevation changes it gets a little repetitive. As I said above it was very crowded and the wait on each hole took away from the flow of the game. For instance I was on a two hole birdie run then had to wait almost 10 min on the next hole and lost my mojo and my arm got a little tight considering there are so many flick shots. This course does have its good points but imo it should considering it takes in more money than any other surrounding course. With that kind of funding I kind of expected a few more memorable holes and a few less rocks. I'll play it again but not very often. The people rating this 4 or more need to really compare it to the rest of the Austin area courses and realize this course is just average.

Favors sidearmers

5+    4/13/2011   4/16/2011
Review By: cris4422
Pros: Lots of great holes, great challenges and great distance variety.
Cons: Way too many holes going right. This is the only course I've played that costs money. Seems rather greedy. Even courses far better than this in Austin don't charge to play. I don't recommend this for anyone who throws strictly backhand as it will be difficult for you on most holes.
Other Thoughts: Very very difficult to find your way to the next hole. If your playing for your first time you won't survive without a map. Also teeboxes lack the distances of the holes. Course could be much much better if the holes were in order and there was more variety in between sidearm and backhand.

A Wonderful Course

1    3/16/2011   3/16/2011
Review By: thshistory
Pros: Great course in terms of shot selection and hole variety. Hole one may have been my favorite. It gets a little heavy on the trees but a course in great condition. It is obviously cared for.
Cons: Needs more trash cans. The thing I hate to see is trash on a course. Common' disc golfers. take care of your courses even if you have to carry your trash a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Fantastic course, well laid out. Worth the drive and one dollar fee. There is little elevation if you like that kind of thing.

Worth the Dollar. For sure.

2-4    1/7/2011   1/9/2011
Review By: C-Van
Pros: Excellent course, lots of different styles of holes. There was obviously a lot of trees in the course, but there were 3 or 4 holes that had a limited number of trees on it and that allowed you to just rip the disc. Really challenges you and forces you to work many kinds of throws.
Cons: Only one trash can, I had to carry my cup about 9 holes before I could throw it away, this made for some litter in some of the trees along the course, which bothers me. Maybe they don't need a trash can at every hole, but at least every other hole. There are about three holes there in the middle of the course that are very similar, which makes one wish for some variety.
Other Thoughts: Absolutely wonderful course that really challenges you, and makes you a better disc golf player. Easily worth the dollar.

Flatter and Tougher than you'd Think

1    9/4/2010   9/9/2010
Review By: srm_520
Pros: Williamson County DGC is tough - nuff said. This Houck design left no angle unexplored and no path ungroomed. He did however leave just about every tree in the area started with. Holes range from 210' to over 800' if you measure from the distance on the hole markers. Hole #10 is especially brutal, taking most players three decent throws just to have a look at the basket.

The course looks perfect, with mulched covered, rock lined pathways. The tight fairways are very well defined and the overlapping design wasn't bad to navigate for the first timer because of this fact. The tees are concrete and marked with huge rocks and a metal hole number attached, which are great looking and easy to spot from a distance.

The course is also dead flat, so families or people pushing strollers won't have a difficult time getting through it. Plus, this is part of a larger park complex, so there are things to keep the family busy while you hit a round. Finally, the ample trees provide a great shade barrier in the hot Texas summer.

BEST HOLE/S: #10
Cons: For being so well groomed - I was surprised at the lack of seating and trashcans. Given the entry fee, you'd think trashcans would have been a priority. There was a lot of trash by most tee boxes, and there were multiple times I wished there was a large rock to rest on like you'd see at Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek.

I think John Houck has never met a tree he didn't like. I love a tight and technical course, it keeps things interesting, but more than once I found myself thinking one or two more trees gone from the fairway would have been a good thing. I think a line down the fairway should be more about skill than luck because I'm not a fan of pinball golf.

Although the length, foliage density, and varied lines keep things interesting, there is nothing unique or defining about this course as there is with many Austin courses. The place is dead flat and bone dry. Also, the layout intertwines on itself many times, so even though things are well maintained - a first timer should still print a map.

Finally, a dollar isn't a big deal, and I was happy to contribute, but I know many people get turned off by having to pay to play. It's on the honor system, so I'm sure you could get away with not paying, but the money goes back into making the course better so just pay up and enjoy your round.

WORST HOLE/S: #16
Other Thoughts: No one can argue that Wilco presents a significant challenge to most disc golfers with its tight lines and unforgiving rough. However, with the lack of elevation, water, or any other defining features, most holes felt forgettable. I had a great time playing, my abilities were pushed, and by the time it was over - I looked back to couldn't tell you much of what I just did.

Usually, I can close my eyes and picture each hole played, but here you just picture a rugged tree-filled landscape. This isn't really a pro or con as much as it is simply an interesting observation about Austin courses. I suppose a person can get so spoiled playing East Metro Park, Circle C, Twin Parks, the Circle R courses, and various other Austin area disc golf beauties, that often times things simply meld together into one atypical hill country course. It's just that here - it was all country and no hills.