Austin, TX
Searight Park Share

Searight

2-4    3/3/2012   3/16/2012
Review By: ColinB
Pros: Short but fun course for the most part, has a few longer holes
A few holes are potential ace runs
Well maintained, good paths between holes
Nice signs and adequate seating
Good mix of lefts and rights, with some elevation change
Cons: Gets pretty crowded on the weekends especially
Gets pretty muddy, making the tee pads dirty/slippery
Other Thoughts: Fun course, can be a confidence booster on a good day for sure.
Aside from it getting crowded and backed up, it's a very nice course and is definitely worth a try.

Longtime Favorite

5+    1/17/2012   1/25/2012
Review By: AceHunter
Pros: Great variety of holes with regard to both distance and the types of throws required. Nice cleaned out alleys to throw through and the course seems to be taken good care of. Really is a beautiful course.

-Trash cans, benches and signage are all excellent here
-Field to warm up with and a practice basket
-Single concrete tee box at each hole
-Easy to follow and the layout works very well as you never feel like you're throwing near another tee box or basket.
-Also regarding layout, the course is separate from the rest of the park, so you don't have a greenbelt, roads or bike paths around or through it like some parks. The course has disc golfers and dogs on it, that's it!
-There is a LOT of birdie and ace potential here
-Pet-friendly
Cons: -The main con here is the crowds. This has become the most popular course down south it seems and can be annoying in that sense. If you can't tolerate constantly catching the group in front of you or feeling "pressure" behind you then come very early and on a weekday to boot. 2:30 on Tuesday won't garner the lonely and quick round you get most places.
-The terrain can be rough on the knees/ankles here and there
Other Thoughts: I've been playing for a long time and have played this course more than any other and it has always been my favorite overall course. I love that despite the birdie and ace potential the course has felt challenging over the years. Both of my aces were here (1 and 17) and all but two baskets, 12 and 16, are in the same place they were 18 years ago. Twelve is much harder than it used to be. The additions they made awhile back (benches, trash cans and signs) were great and make the course more inviting and pleasant. The one change that kinda bummed me out was regarding what we called "stump alley." Hole 12 used to have the lower few inches of all the trees they cleared out for the fairway and your landing on the drive was always a gamble. It was annoying at the time, but in hindsight it was kinda fun having that random factor on the drive.

I tend to play a lot of solo rounds, so as long as people let me play through the crowds really aren't horrible. However, the sheer number of people playing and waiting to play is always surprising to me. I suppose that just goes to show what a great course it is.

On windy days I avoid this course mainly because some of the treed areas are very dense. If you get elevated on, say hole 9, and get yanked hard to the right you're pretty much screwed unless you love bushwacking it. Hole 16 can have that problem too, as you have to elevate since there isn't a normal alley to throw down. Hole 18 is the same on the left side, so if you don't get the right bend you need it can get ugly.

As I said before, one of my all-time favs here and recommend it to any skill level.

Great Equalising Course

5+    8/24/2011   8/24/2011
Review By: js1573
Pros: This course has a great layout. Good course for all skill levels. Plenty of birdie opportunities as well as trees to add for skill shots.
Cons: this course can get packed, quick! i tend to tee off no later than 7:00AM because the crowd (especially in the summer time) starts arriving around 9:00AM.
Other Thoughts: I love that, because of the shorter tendency in hole distances, pros and ams can play together and this course basically equalizes the two classes. there aren't too many holes where you have to have a huge throw, more finesse shots, so it's "easier" when playing more skilled players to keep up!

Great Course

5+    7/13/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: VandeWalle1977
Pros: Where do I start? There is little wrong with this course. It is easily accesible from Anywhere in South Austin. Well laid out course with challenging holes for the best players yet still not too hard to discourage newbies. Hole 15 is a sight to be seen. Gorgeous view and since the recent renovations it is superb! Practice area and driving areas available. This course will make you use all of your shots...or in my case...it will make you learn some new shots and approaches.
Cons: Wednesdays host mini tournaments so if you are in a rush it could slow you down a little. That is the only con I can think of and it is not really a con, it's a popular course...Awesome!
Other Thoughts: Beautiful atmosphere....great laidout...signature hole #15 is awesome....nuff said....well worth the visit. Since Summer started I have played here several times a week and it never gets old!

Good Practice and Rec Course...

5+    7/8/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: Dcloud90
Pros: -Easy to Navigate
-Hard to Lose Disc
-Lots of ace and birdie attempts
-Evenly wooded and Hilled
Cons: -Some pins too high
-Trash left inside the Woods
-VERY busy Course
-Too Easy
Other Thoughts: Personally, i think this course is too easy and think the holes should be longer, Pictures need to be updated to see how much BETTER it looks

First time at Searight

1    5/17/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: Collegeguy121
Pros: -Very hard to lose disc, even with bad shots
-Couple of chances to get aces & many birdie opportunities
-Tee signs made it easy to navigate through the course
-I like how you had to be accurate to have a good birdie chance
Cons: -I wish they had longer holes
-scuffed up some of my least durable discs good on some holes
-There seems to be a lot of people that go play. I wouldn't mind too much, but some people that play are beginners so they go kind of slow.
Other Thoughts: The 15th hole was closed, which was disappointing

Seastorm

5+    1/14/2011   1/26/2011
Review By: Hal_9000
Pros: Located in South Austin. Fun course to play, varying degrees of difficulty. Signature hole 15 has great elevation.
Cons: Lots of foot traffic, can get busy with wait times during certain days of the week. Can get dirty and muddy quick after a light shower.
Other Thoughts: Good course to play for a quick round.

SaWeet!!!

1    6/15/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: mavjr24
Pros: This is one of the most challenging and entertaining course I have ever played. The layout on this course was just perfect
Cons: I lost a disc there
Other Thoughts: Very cool course is definitely one of my favorite course and really cant wait to get back out there to try to up the game from last. If you have not played this course you really need too.

Great fun.

2-4    8/3/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: Wow! Courses are not like this in Chicagoland. Great place to play. Locals are courteous and polite. Course is in great shape. benches, trash cans, nice tee pads, great signage... it is all here... 18 great holes... a few w a bit of extra length... I am not a big arm guy, so the length here was plenty. Nice balance of lefty, righty and straight ahead shots. Lots of heat, but plenty of shady spots and places to sit and cool off for a bit. Wood chips for traction and decor where needed. Varied basket height I found to be a positive...variety. Course could be played with a small, light bag with few discs... just a fave putter, 1 big shot driver and a few mids for various choices. No skip shots or rollers due to terrain... but I get the feeling that these two shots are a bit limited in this area... overhead tomahawks and squatting shots for interesting tree situations will be needed. And the trees like to catch and hold discs a bit...In my home area trees drop discs easy. on 3 occasions I was tossing rocks at my disc to get it back... and good thing there is no shortage of rocks here.
Cons: None... Could not identify any when I was playing and sitll none upon reflection.
Other Thoughts: As I was playing, at about the 12th or 13th hole I was thinking through my upcoming review and running the course through my head... all good thoughts... but then I decided... what this course is missing is a signature hole... 1 hole that stands out, exemplifying what the course is all about... and leaving behind a solid memory of having played here... Then I came to hole #15... This is it. This is the sig hole for this course... beautiful... Long downward shot... great terrain... beautiful view, just narrow 'nuf to punish you if the shot is a bit off... and then I got to #16... this one is not a unique as #15, but... what a great hole... I could play this hole 18 times and call it a course... and then when I was done I came back to the beginning... Hole #1 is like a mini version of hole #15... so, this course has it all. Great place to play... and all of it memorable. I will play here every time I visit Austin... does not hurt that the disc golf superstore is across the street. BONUS!

Good Course

1    7/1/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: blake918
Pros: This course has tons of fun hidden inside! I've played Circle C and this course compares to it being the little brother with shorter holes, and more beginner playability. the course has beautiful concrete pads a running creek and great markings and signage.
Cons: played after a rain has clay like mud everywhere will mess up your shoes but other than that nothing is wrong
Other Thoughts: If Circle C was too tough try out this course it will not upset