Adamsville, AL
Spring Street DGC Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #8 (Taken 12/2017)

Valley of Death

1    12/30/2017   3/7/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (1.218 Rating) A beginner's course that has multi-use issues.
- ACEABILITY - For players hunting for their first ace, I would recommend playing this course and playing hole (1) thru (3) over and over and over again. They are obstacle free shots, and average 208 feet long. Play (1,2,3,2) repeat.
- SIGNAGE - Nice hole signage showing distance, obstacles and ob areas.
- NAVIGATION - No course map on site, but other than the transition between (7) and (8) I think I saw every proceeding tee sign from the prior basket. I posted a course map to clear up any confusion as well.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Other than hole (6), the course is very manageable for the beginner's skill set. Very little overgrowth, little opportunity to lose a disc and four holes under 250 feet in length. I'm sure most would agree that these are good characteristic for a course to have for those wanting to the game.
- QUICK PLAY - With the holes for the most part being stacked one after another, players can figure a very quick round here. I estimate 45 minutes for a foursome to complete a round here.
- MAINTENANCE - The grounds appear to be constantly mowed, trimmed and manicured. I spotted some trash deep in the woods along (6), but that's usually the case in hard to reach areas. Why am I in these woods? See cons Valley of Death.
- CHAINS - My first time throwing at Dynamic Patriot baskets. An appealing looking basket, that failed to catch my airballs. Nice solid chains, they caught well.

Cons: A course layout shackled with site restraints.
- PROPERTY/SAFETY HAZARDS - This course is going to be really difficult to play with an active park. Hole (4) parallels a road. Holes (6) and (7) play along a multi use field. Holes (8) and (9) play along parking areas. Thankfully I had an empty park and parking lot on my round. ( I played at 7AM and it was 35 degrees out.)
- VALLEY OF DEATH - I had a hunch that hanging it out to the right on hole (6) would have disastrous consequences. Coming up to tee (6) I immediately saw the sharp slope off to the right, along with its overgrown and impenetrable tree coverage. My only though at tee with disc in hand was "don't miss right" Watching my RHFH shot come out flat and immediately starting to hook right was a horrifying reality. After an exhausting 10 minute retrieval effort I confirmed my suspicions that the terrain at that location was unforgiving.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - Other than a bunch of OB, there isn't anything here to challenge veteran players. Players rated 850 or better (Recreation) should all routinely finish below par.
- TEES - Not to bad currently, but still natural. I did like the small concrete tee markers that signaled the tee line.
- CHARACTER - Other than nice baskets, Spring Street DGC is void of all the niceties that go along with established courses such as nearby Clay, Inverness or George Ward. No practice basket, no Multi Tees, No alternate basket placements, no seating and no community board.
- ELEVATION - A non factor along the line of play. As mentioned above, there's a steep valley right of hole (6), but it's out of bounds. Not one hole varies by more than 5 feet.
- UNIQUENESS - In additional to the lack of elevation, the overall hole variety is minimal. All the shots are under 320 feet. They are all straight and several are obstacle free. I would only define one hole as moderately wooded, hole (5). Water does not come into play as the shallow 2 foot wide ditch behind (3) and along (4) is considered casual.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Nothing exotic about this park. As stated under the uniqueness con, no water or elevation features. The backdrop views comprise of park buildings and residential houses. The tree coverage in the park is light.

Other Thoughts: I'm glad the course exists as it brings the sport to another area. I'd give it a 1.25 rating if I were allowed to do so. If I lived in town I'd probable show up a few times a month. Nearby Magnolia Links is a much nicer course and it targets a similar audience as this course. I'd probably have to live in the neighborhood to show up here routinely. For those living in the Birmingham area wondering if they should take a peek at this one, I'd say yes, but only if they enjoy playing the full spectrum of courses.