Nashville, TN
Cane Ridge - Short Course Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #1 (Taken 10/2017)

Appropriately named

1    6/24/2018   6/25/2018
Review By: wericsson
Pros: Brand new Prodigy baskets could probably catch North Korea's whole arsenal (see other thoughts below for more detail). Ample directional cues from hole to hole. Port-a-pot by hole 1.

About as much fun as you can have with an average hole length of ~213 feet, really, with all kind of fun woods lines and a healthy dose of elevation change - in fact, it felt like more elevation change than the big boy course. Novice players or those who struggle for distance should be able to really enjoy this course, as it tests accuracy without penalizing those without 400 foot arms. Despite the overall shortness, there was decent variety in hole lengths, from 120 foot jumper to 240 foot par 3 and some longer numbers on the par "4" and "5" holes. Hole 11 was actually a really cool multi-shot hole, at 490 feet and par 5, though there's a reasonably accessible way to get there in two for players who can throw at least 300 feet.
Cons: Mostly natural tees. The front corners are flagged, however. They were dry when I played, but I could see some butt-busting happening if it rained. Tee signs are paper on a stick, and a couple were MiA. The OB creek appears to be intermittent only, although it was roped on all but one of the holes on which it appeared.

Some holes would be ridiculously easy for more advanced players; I found myself jump putting off the tee twice (aced neither, sadly, but birdied both), and I'm sure more holes could be approached this way by better players than myself. Additionally, both the 4s should probably be 3s for rec players or above, and the par 5 is a par 4 in discguise (but a really good par 4!).

No good directional signage back to the parking lot - I wound up walking about a third of a mile, but the other way may have been shorter.
Other Thoughts: Prodigy baskets - Cane Ridge was my first experience on these. You can hit them as hard as you want, even high - BUT they behave very weak on the weak side. On the other hand, anything strong side or dead center is pretty much guaranteed to drop. Banding on the top keeps things from lodging there - if you miss high, you seem to get pretty much the same skip wherever you hit the top.

There's some real potential here for improvement - better tees and signs would be a big help, making this a really great beginner course (it kinda already is, but it could be one of the best).

Overall difficulty level: Par struck me as lying somewhere around the strong end of novice, but playing on a screwed up arm (I mean, I shouldn't be sore after about three 200 foot shots) made it kinda hard to tell.

There's Something Special Brewing At Cane Ridge

1    1/15/2018   3/30/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (2.548 Rating) A young course with all the signs of future greatness.
- FUN FACTOR - I haven't had this much fun on a short course in a long time. So many super fun ace runs under 250 feet. I didn't come here at a prime time, a work day in the early afternoon and had several large groups to fight thru in my solo round. In my early days, I would have been here every day if I worked or lived nearby.
- ACEABILITY - Ridiculous easy ace runs. Veteran players should be able to pop off an ace here every 30 or so rounds. Holes (4) and (8) are both sub 135 foot and 15 foot wide tunnel shots. Players are probably going to ace 5 times more often here than at a normal course.
- ELEVATION - I checked topoquest.com after playing to compare the elevation changes between the two Cane Ridge courses. It appears that the short course is on par or even passes the advanced course on these terms. A couple shots seem to play at over 40 feet of grade change. Half of the holes have at least 20 feet of elevation change. Sure it got tiring, but the looks from all these tees just kept pumping me full of adrenalin.
- SHOT SHAPING - Numerous creative short twisting shots up, down, left and right.
- UNIQUENESS - In addition to the shop shaping and elevation, I was surprised by the hole type diversity. Although listed as a par 5 at 490, Hole (11) is still a legit multi-play hole. The creek that runs through the course comes into play 5 or 6 times. Although mostly heavily wooded, there are a few openish holes as well.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Hole (9) is amazing. The play shoots across a valley and plays along a recently deceased monster 8 foot wide tree on the left side. In addition, the tee area on (9) is flip'n awesome. The tee on this hole was located just in front of another massive downed tree. Someone decided to take a chainsaw and carve a bench out of it. Amongst the best chill areas that I've ever seen.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Definitely one of the more scenic courses to walk. The creek is probably the best natural element and its drainage basin over time has shaped the undulating grounds in this location just wonderfully. As stated, lots of heavily wooded holes with a few well used giant trees to guard baskets.
- QUICK PLAY - A shorter layout that's run-able in 40 minutes for a single on a empty course. However, I have a feeling that this course is going to start attracting a crowd as more people find out about it. Figure groups of four will be able to tackle this one in 90 minutes.

Cons: Lots of young course issues.
- TEES - One of the issues with a newer course is generally the tees. I happened to play a couple days after a 2 inch snowfall and got a course just full of mud. The tees being a mixture of natural ground and turf, were absolutely miserable. In addition, the natural tees had no tee edge marking. I'm going to assume, that concrete tees will be installed in the near future.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the poor tees, the disc golf related amenities are just not here yet in the courses young state. No course map or permanent hole signage. No multi tees or alternate pin placements yet. There are a couple seating areas, most notably hole (9), see pros Signature Hole. All stated, it's a young course and there's room for a lot of growth.
- TERRAIN - As stated above, I played soon after a 2 inch snowfall and got a course just full mud. Making it up some of these slope was a journey in itself. Be sure and check the course conditions or recent rainfall totals as this one can get a bit treacherous.
- NAVIGATION - Finding (1) can be a bit tricky. There is no map on DGCR and the layout I played didn't fully match the one on the park's website. Thankfully, just like the Advanced course, there are lots of directional cues along the layout.
- DISCONTINUITY - Hole (1) and (18) seem to be 400 to 500 feet apart.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - To players above the recreational level, the course plays so easy on several shots that anything less than a birdie will be major disappointment. Listed as a par 58, advanced players should be able to routinely throw mid 40s rounds and rec players should throw mid to low 50s.

Other Thoughts: I can see Cane Ridge becoming a recreational favorite for the area. The course is only 3,800 feet long and beginners will even have the potential to make a birdie here and there. This course is going to produce some new addicts for sure. Skilled players that enjoy throwing birdie fest rounds and ace runs are going to love this course as well.

A Little TLC Will Go A Long Way

1    2/19/2018   2/20/2018
Review By: njgrosser
Pros: -- This course is easy enough that someone with minimal experience can play and have fun, yet challenging enough for an experienced player to use as a Par 3 course (or, more realistically, a par 2 course). I've played for about 7 years, and I would have no qualms bringing someone with me who has only played a couple times.

-- It is the first course I've played that is extremely short, yet emphasizes accurate lines in a wooded area. It does have a couple open holes, but the use of the woods and elevation at the park is really well executed. Its impressive how many different looks this course offers, given its distance limits.

-- I did not feel bored playing this course, even having played the Advanced Course first. There was enough variance between the holes that kept me engaged. I am personally a fan of downhill shots through a window to the basket, so #5 and #17 stood out to me.

-- The white baskets were easy to see, and for almost every hole it was apparent which basket belongs to which hole. It also helped me, as a first time player at the park, figure out which baskets belong to which course (the Advanced Course has blue baskets).
Cons: --EROSION CONTROL: This is the biggest con of the course for me, and I would add at least 0.5 if it were better. It was extremely muddy the day I played (with standing water taking up some tee areas), and there were some areas through holes 5-9 where the creek did not have a clear, dry area to cross. I understand this is a new course and they are clearly still looking to improve it (I hope), so I would expect this problem to be fixed. I also don't think it would be a big issue in the summer months, but it was definitely an issue on a warm February day.

--Tee Boxes/Signage: There were no permanent tee boxes, and only about half the holes had turf/carpet mats. Also, there was no permanent signage, which sometimes made it difficult to find where the holes officially started. The park itself also lacked signage, and I had to ask a local where the short course actually was.
Other Thoughts: I would (and likely will) come back and play this course, especially if a little more work is put into it to bring it up to typical course standards. It is an excellent course to play if you have little time or are looking for a shorter alternative to the Advanced Course. I also found it a great way to "cool off" after the Advanced Course, but I could also see it as a nice warm-up before playing the Advanced Course. Either way, it is an overall solid course, and excellent if you are looking for a shorter course.

Cane Ridge Mini-Me

5+    10/28/2017   11/18/2017
Review By: 3Throws of the Condor
Pros: The short course is basically the advanced course with the distance halved. Tight fairways, lots of elevation, some water and lots of underbrush. People who equate a course's quality to its distance probably will not rate this course high. Because of its shortness there are a lot of deuces here but a bad tee shot can easily turn a hole that is under 200 ft into a 4 or 5.
Cons: This course is very new so some of these negatives may be dealt with in the near future. Tee pads are non existent at this time. Some landscaping is needed on some of the steeper hills when wet one could easily have a nasty slip or fall. Although short the up and down nature of the terrain is quite tiring and benches are needed (there is only one at present cut from logs and it is awesome)
Other Thoughts: The fact that this adjoins the advanced course makes this a great place for a day of disc golf.

Love it

5+    10/28/2017   11/2/2017
Review By: Frodo
Pros: Really short, so it is fantastic for beginners to have fun and get their confidence up. My first round ever was at the Advanced course, which made me feel like I would never be good at the game.

Multiple ace opportunities, and pretty easy to birdie a majority of the holes. The course is great at making you use every shot in your arsenal.

It's pretty hilly, and the terrain is just beautiful.
Cons: No permanent tee pads as of now, but I'm sure there will be soon.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in Nashville area currently, and would highly recommend it to anyone, but especially newer players who want to work on hitting lines without worrying having to throw it 300+ feet.

Short, fun, and has character

2-4    10/5/2017   10/5/2017
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 10/7/2017
Pros: The Short Course is the 2nd 18-hole course in Cane Ridge park. It makes for a very nice complement to the Advanced Course. I really like the thought process put into these courses. Though this course seems to be designed for novices, kids, or the distance challenged, it can be enjoyed by any skill level. I am fairly experienced, and I enjoyed the multiple ace runs and birdie opps here, plus I liked the chance to work on midrange precision. However, this will definitely be the first course I take my son to play when he becomes old enough to play in a couple years.

Now don't let the distance fool you- this is not a boring course. Most holes are in the woods and play through tight, but reasonable, fairways. Three holes care mostly open, but still have their challenges. A lot of holes will be birdied, but there is enough challenge on each hole to really make you work for it, and missed lines will result in 3's and 4's that will leave you kicking yourself.

Elevation is a major factor making many of the holes "feel" longer, and the downhill holes are fun but be careful not to overthrow. Elevation also causes several of the holes to be "blind" despite their shorter distance. (A side note is how deceptively tiring this course can be- lots of hills.)

There is an great mix of straight, left, and right shots required. There are two "par 4" holes around 280' and one "par 5" at 490 that will be a challenge to any level of disc golfer to score a pro 3. In fact, the 490' is one tough hole, narrow the whole way with the creek bordering it on the right side. That creek is small and comes into play along, behind, or across some of the holes. No danger of losing discs, but it does factor into how you attack those holes.

Navigation is a breeze. Paths are already worn in, short walks from one hole to the next, and there are numerous next tee signs guiding the way. (FYI- there is a map on the course website, but the final layout does not match the proposed plan that is on the map, but a map is not necessary.) There is a port-a-pottie near hole 1, but permanent restrooms can be found in the other parking area, and are right there after playing holes 9 and 18.

New Prodigy baskets. Grey in color- not the most visible of all the colors, but I had no problem finding any of them.
Cons: I would have liked to see both courses start from the same parking lot, but not a big deal now that I know where each starts. (The tee for 10 is next to the parking lot for the Advanced course, so one could theoretically start there instead.)

The only really long walk is from 18's basket back to hole 1. No big deal since disc golf is supposed to be a physical activity/exercise. But if you are not familiar with the park, you might get a little disoriented upon finishing your round and wonder where you parked. (walk up the hill towards the playground/basketball courts.)

Right now the tee signs are just laminated paper (and two are missing), but all you need is a hole number and distance. I would assume nicer, more permanent signs are in the works based on how the Advanced course has progressed.

Tees right now are either dirt, gravel, or turf. Some tees are on slopes. I also prefer permanent flat tees, but with the holes being short and tight, any type tee is sufficient as a big run-up is not necessary.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really like the concept and design of this course. I feel that each hole is unique, baskets are well placed, and there is no repetition here- quite an accomplishment with shorter holes.

Having two distinct 18-hole courses in one park is a bonus. And this is a course that will appeal to a wider range of skill levels, making the game more accessible and more fun to a lot more people. This does make it kind of tough to rate, however, factoring in all 270+ courses I have played. I really like it, and will continue to play here often, so I give it a strong 2.5 [Decent/Average]. CR reminds me a bit of the two courses at Bud Hill, minus the charm.

Locals will certainly appreciate having these 2 new courses to the Nashville DG scene. And if coming from out of town, be sure to add the Cane Ridge Courses to your list. You would likely not travel here to play the Short Course if it was a stand alone, but won't be a waste if you play it along side the other one. Super easy to get to from I-24.