Paw Paw, WV
The Woodshed Share
Uploaded By: Qikly Hole #9 (Taken 6/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3

1    9/30/2020   9/30/2020
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: I have wanted to play these two courses for years now. I didn't think I'd ever actually get to. I mean, why would I ever be by Paw Paw WV? Well I finally just decided to do it. And man was it worth it. These 2 courses instantly jumped into my personal top ten. Just stunning being able to play disc golf on this property. It's got that magical feeling that I've only felt at a couple places. Two other places to be exact. Highbridge Hills and Flip City.

The baskets are Mach 3's that aren't the newest or best baskets out there, but they caught fine. I had no issues with them. Many baskets have some type of flag mounted on the top of them to help spot them. Very helpful, especially in the woods. Some of the holes have multiple pin positions. Hole 1, 3, 6, 9, 10 and 18 from what I can tell by the map.

The tees are artificial turf. All are level, or at least level enough. A couple teeter on the edge of the hillside. These are built up with 4x4's to level out a spot on the edge of the hill. They got the job done. One tee per hole.

The signs are just laminated sheets with the par, hole #, distance, sponsor and the nickname of the hole. All tee signs were present. Nothing special.

The Woodshed has a solid mix of mostly open and Heavily wooded holes. Almost a 50/50 split it seems like. Water comes into play on holes 1 and 10 in the form of the pond. A creek runs through the property but probably isn't really an issue. It was bone dry on our visit. The wooded holes are tight,tight,tight. Hit your line or pay the price. And I can promise you won't always hit your line. So you better bring your scramble game. You're going to need it. There is quite a bit of elevation here. It's not overbearing but it's very present. You'll realize it on the open holes as you stare across the sprawling valley. Hell, you'll realize as soon as you pull into the lot.

The flow of the course is actually pretty easy to follow. I got a map from the owner before I started. It was helpful in a few places but I probably would've figured it out without it. Definitely doesn't hurt to have one though. The map on Udisc seems to be accurate as well. There was NOT an accurate map for Whippin' Post on there though.

$10 a day per person to play is an absolute bargain. Camping is available onsite for $5 per person per night. And they even have an ice machine in the clubhouse/barn.

The design of the course is very well done. With the front and back nine both ending near the barn and restrooms. The Woodshed plays on the western half of the property with Whippin' Post being on the eastern half. All types of shots will be needed if you want to scorw well here. Great mix of left, right and straight shots. Some holes require all 3 on the same hole.

The course was in great condition when we played. The grass on the open fairways was all mowed and the course was just all around beautiful. A number of benches are located throughout too. You'll need them, especially in the heat of the summer.
Cons: I personally don't have much of anything for cons. But I will say that not everyone will or does like turf tees. They were dry when we played, but I can't speak on how they'd play if wet.

My main con was trying to spot the baskets in the woods. The Gray baskets do not stand out very well, so I had to do a little scouting ahead a few times. Nothing major but worth noting.

As other's, all the other's, have mentioned. The drive into here is sketchy. At least if you're not used driving on the side of a mountain. The road starts out paved and curvy. Then gets thinner and curvier. It then proceeds to turn to gravel, gets thinner and gets, somehow, even more snakelike. Very memorable to say the least.
Other Thoughts: I was so excited to play these courses finally. They actually exceeded my expectations. The golf is great, but what's even better is your surroundings, the aura, the experience. I can't recommend this place highly enough. I would drive HOURS out of my way to play this. Easily. I already want to come back even though I live like 15 hours away. Put this one in your wishlist now. Destination worthy, must play course.

Equal measures of pain and pleasure at the Woodshed

1    11/11/2018   11/20/2018
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Spectacular combination of disc golf and scenery.

Variety: Phenomenal - wonderful range of fairway types, shapes, and distances. Well-balanced in terms of wooded/open. Most holes present a few different lines from the tee, forcing you to choose your best strategy for getting from tee to basket and executing. Strikes a great balance between holes that require shot shaping, holes that favor big D, with a few that reward both.

Elevation: Phenomenal - abundant and nicely employed in a variety of ways. A key factor in some way on most holes, but there were a few where it wasn't a big deal. Nonetheless, players that aren't fond of all sorts of elevation change should avoid this place (and the entire state of West Virginia for that matter).

Challenge: Excellent - wonderfully challenging without feeling absurd. Some of the wooded holes are tight, but they all seemed quite executable and didn't have much of a plinko feel to them... FROM THE TEE! Miss the line on your tee shot and you can easily end up with a lie that leaves you wishing you had a "Get out of jail free" card, but that seems fair to me. Definitely punishing in a few spots, but each time it happened, I honestly felt like my shot deserved it. Execute off the tee, and the rest of the hole seems reasonably executable.

Equipment: Good - nothing stellar, but good enough to be a non-issue. A good number of the tees are concrete, and the ones that aren't were fine. Baskets were in good shape, and there was decent signage at most (if not all) tees. Both courses were nicely maintained (which is really saying something, given the vastness and nature of this property).

FWIW - the signage looked like it might not last long, and for all I know, it may have been freshened up for a recent event. But it was in good condition and quite useful for my visit, and that's all I can say about it.

Aesthetics: Best of the Best - You can't help but notice the views the minute you arrive. Beautiful Appalachian countryside featuring rolling hills, mature trees, and a winding creek. This place was already beautiful... then they added baskets! Does a wonderful job showcasing the property's natural attributes - you'd be hard pressed to find a better setting to get away from it all.

Navigation/Flow: Very good - I played with a guide that knew their way around. While nothing struck me as difficult, first timers should print the map because a few transitions aren't super obvious. The two courses are nicely segregated, so there's really no overlap or confusion as far as that goes. I particularly like how Woodshed transitions from open to wooded a few times to avoid feeling repetitive. Like chapters in a book, the order holes occur in makes a difference in the total experience.

Memorable Holes: Many. Starts with a great hole, finishes with a fun twist. Throws a bunch at you in between. Several of them will stick in your mind.

The clubhouse is a great place to sit and eat lunch between rounds, tell stories and soak up the atmosphere with your friends.
Cons: Really hard to find legit complaints on this course.
Plan on some lengthy forays up fairways to spot baskets. This can be a drag on hilly courses (especially if it's your 2nd round)... but they're worth it.

Pack a lunch, plenty of water, and anything else you need for a full day. There's no such thing as a quick trip to/from this place.

More informational than a con: This ain't the place for beginners. I can picture beginners feeling overmatched and frustrated... possibly even moreso given the time and effort it takes to get here.
Other Thoughts: Am I kinky if I enjoyed getting paddled at the Woodshed? This course could turn me into a masochist.

Both courses are truly wonderful, and thoroughly challenging. Personally, I prefer Woodshed to Whippin' Post. The holes seemed fairer off the tee and the transitions from open/woods/open provide a change of pace that helps keep it from feeling repetitive. Just my take - YMMV.

As has been mentioned before, this place is removed... from everything. Whether that's a pro or con all depends on your point of view, but it's a fact.

The drive in/out is anything but quick and easy... it's a genuine excursion, up/down and all around some road right out of a Dr. Suess book. I urge you not to plan on arriving or departing after sunset. Travelling that road at night could be dicey if you're not familiar.

I was taken behind the Woodshed, and I survived!

1    6/10/2017   6/13/2017
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 3/15/2020
Pros: The Woodshed is an elite-level course. Sure, it's in the middle of nowhere, and it takes miles of winding, back roads to get there. But, oh man, is it worth the trip!
- As soon as I pulled onto the property, I could see this place is special. You immediately notice the large fields, hills, woods and two ponds. And in case you don't know where you are, you're greeted with a 'Welcome to Paw Paw' sign. The kicker, however, is the clubhouse in the barn. I'm sure plenty of post-round stories and drinks have been shared here.
- The course immediately starts off with a challenge. It's a 498-foot layout with a fairway that plays to the left of one pond and a basket that plays to the right of the second one. From there, it's a 484-foot, uphill shot on #2. Don't worry, it can't get any tougher.
- Oh wait. You're now in the woods. If your round is off to a slow start, there's no time to mope. This section of the course offers everything you'd expect from wooded holes. If you're accurate, you'll do ok. If not, you're at the mercy of tree Plinko to find out where your disc will stop. I had the mother of all fortunate bounces on #4. My disc was going to sail long and left, down the hill. Instead I hit a tree and end up with a 10-foot putt for a 3.
- There's a great mix of the wood and open holes. Just when you get sick of the woods, you can let out your frustrations, beginning on #7. This is a fun, wide-open, downhill par 3 approaching 600 feet. Two solid shots and a short putt later, I felt I earned my 3 here.
- The back 9 has more open holes in the field. On #17 & 18, the biggest obstacle might be your endurance after your rounds (or rounds, if you've already played Whippin' Post as well).
- #16 is a fun, shoot-the-gap hole in the woods. It's a slight dogleg left, 338-foot layout, with the road to the right. At the tee, you'll see a 'No Fishing from the Bridge' sign. You get to the basket, and there's a small foot bridge. A pleasant touch to an excellent hole.
- The course challenges all aspects of your game. Bad tee shots will kill your score, especially in the woods. You've got to make your putts, especially if you want to capitalize on solid tee and approach shots.
- The course also tests your patience and mental game. If you're not careful, you'll let one bad shot, or a bad hole, turn into multiple bad holes. More than almost any other course I've ever played, you must forget the prior hole - good or bad - as soon as you step on the next tee.
Cons: The only thing that really was bothersome, for both courses, was the amount of blind tee shots. After a while, it gets tiring walking the fairways to find the basket. The course is already grueling enough. On multiple occasions, I ended up just taking my chances, throwing a mid-range disc 200 feet or so straight down the fairway, hoping it was a smart shot placement.
- The wooded holes are tight at times. It can be frustrating for sure.
- Its a given, but it's worth stating the obvious. These courses are in the middle of nowhere, so come prepared with drinks, food, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. Also, don't forget your money to pay or you can be the sucker driving the winding roads back into town.
- Watch your steps throughout the round as you're walking up and down hills. Also, be careful of roots, stumps, snakes and anything else that could put a damper on a round.
Other Thoughts: Woodshed is a fantastic course. I've been wanting to play this course for years. It not only lived up to the hype, but it exceeded my expectations.
- Either one of these courses would be most region's signature course. Just think, the second-best course in Paw Paw, West Virginia (population 494) is probably better than the best course in your hometown.
- It was a pleasure meeting Spencer and hearing him talk about the course. This is clearly a passion-project for him. The thousands of hours of work he's put into the course over the past 15 years cannot be appreciated enough.
- As great as this course is, I feel it lacked a signature hole. I can make an argument that holes #1, 7, 9 or 10 were most memorable. Perhaps the fact the most memorable holes were all so early in the round might slightly hurt the course's reputation.
- Yes, there are two 18 hole courses here. I want to meet the person who came all the way here to only play one course and not the other. That said, it's hard to compare one course to the other when everyone is essentially playing one 36-hole loop.
- The course easily deserves its lofty rating. It's simply fantastic. Either one of these courses would be most region's signature course. The fact that they're on the same property is even better. Just think, the second-best course in Paw Paw, West Virginia (population 494) is probably better than the best course in your hometown.
- The Woodshed alone is worth the trip. Throw in Whippin' Post as well and this is a must-play destination for everyone in the region. I drove 6.5 hours, leaving Charlotte at 3:45 on a Saturday morning to get here. All told, I drove more than 900 miles, played other courses along I-81 just to get here. And, I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

1    10/8/2016   10/16/2016
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The biggest pro here is the scenery and general atmosphere. Getting here requires driving through beautiful West Virginia countryside before entering the woods and driving a very hilly, narrow road that winds its way to the course. The course itself is hilly and partially wooded. The open sections have great views of the surrounding hills. On the day I was there, the fog was dipping in and out of the hills in an eerie but beautiful scene.

Several holes stuck out to me. Hole 1 is a fun downhill bomb that narrows to a tight fairway on a gentle hillside. A pond sits at the bottom of the slope, so any approach must be carefully executed. Hole 13 is another fun downhill shot that turns into a semi-wooded fairway on the upslope. Lots of ways to approach the basket and set up your second and third shot. Hole 9 is a big turnover (for RHBH) that needs to clear the tops of a few trees to make it all the way down the hill before climbing back up and then over to a tee on the other side. I wish I could have played this one again.
Cons: Can we talk about design for a second? I have to say, I was not impressed. Other than the holes mentioned above, each hole was strictly open or strictly wooded, and in neither case was the result very fun. Holes 7, 8, 12, 17, and 18 were wide open bombers with nothing to negotiate but distance. The wooded holes were surprisingly tight. Like with a barely identifiable fairway. I got off course on hole 14 and finally saw the basket after three throws...which turned out to be the basket for 3. Great. Hole 4 had a turnover line with very little room to maneuver and no landing area at all. Hole 5 was an uphill drive that felt more "spray and pray" than realistic. After this, you walk back DOWN the hill to throw up the hill again. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Every wooded hole was long in addition to being tight. That combination rarely makes for a superior hole.

Tee pads were pretty poor. Whatever gravel was used looked more like sand with big footprint divots everywhere.

There were no tee signs. Navigation wasn't easy, and without the map I got, it would have been very tough.
Other Thoughts: Of the 160+ courses I've played, this one played below my expectations more than any I can remember. It's too bad, as the landscape is right up my alley and the kind of place I'm prepared to enjoy. I'm very disappointed that I didn't get to play the Whippin Post (there was a tournament the day I arrived, and I had to play one round over their lunch break), especially given the stellar reviews from reviewers that I respect. I hope to be back.

Embiggened, Embattled

1    6/6/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: Qikly
Pros: The Woodshed comes in two basic flavors: long, more open holes with enough obstacles and elevation to test your control with distance drivers, and tight tight tightly wooded holes that require the utmost precision in finding and holding your line. There aren't as many intermediary holes between these two types as one might like, but they nevertheless provide a lot of shot variety between them. I teed off with virtually every disc in my bag here, and I carry a fully-stocked Simian. There's no repetition, and a great ebb and flow between open and wooded. Elevation takes all kinds of forms and really shines here.

Big arms will especially appreciate the more open holes. They're technicality embiggened: lots of engaging line shaping in the 350'-450'+ range. Mere mortals will still find a lot to appreciate - obstacles, elevation, and the intermittent water strongly emphasize placement no matter how far you throw - with the numerous wooded holes offsetting the open ones nicely. Guarded pins and rolling hills plus the few uses of the pond make for some sophisticated, scary approaches. In all it's a great balance of "let's see if I can surprise myself and hit this line" and "let's see how far this disc flies," with solid design, consistent challenge, and no gimmicks.

Great grooming, though still some nasty spots off fairway.

The Whippin' Post, the other 18 on site, is transcendent. You'll feel like a king having these two great courses virtually to yourself.
Cons: The dichotomy between the two basic hole types mentioned holds too firm for my liking: some interplay between wooded and open sections on individual holes would tremendously add to the design IMHO. As is, the woods holes seem a bit basic to me: they're very much of the "hit this line or else" variety and usually stick to a single curve, with little room for creativity or risk/reward decision making. The woods holes are often simply a matter of survival, and getting kicked off the fairway and into the rough means you probably won't.

The emphasis on longer hole lengths threatens to get repetitive for shorter throwers: if you don't regularly hit 375'+ a lot of the holes are very tough 3s and pretty easy 4s. As a 350' thrower I enjoyed the course more than I expected on this front, but it's probably the course I've most wished for a longer arm on. The lack of am tees magnifies this drawback, though I'm not sure they're the solution for a course where D is so integral. This plus the general challenge level adds up to the Woodshed being one of the most beginner-unfriendly courses I've played.

We had serious problems navigating this course. The absence of many tee signs, common lack of next tee indications, and ability to see multiple baskets simultaneously led to a lot of frustration and some throws from the wrong tee or to the wrong pin, even with the map we were given upon arrival. This was amplified by how long the course was: it just added to the already-ample walking and the round's extended duration. In all I would say that the poor navigation definitely didn't ruin our round, but certainly dampened it at points.

The tees are serviceable gravel, but probably poor when wet. This is especially notable given the predominant longer hole lengths. Some nasty rough that can swallow your disc if you land unfortunately, although this was less of a factor than I'd feared going in by far. Ticks and other critters are especially common; this is the out-and-out sticks, y'all.
Other Thoughts: The Woodshed did not shine to me as the Whippin' Post did, but it's certainly an awesome course. Just not as much nuance and next-level-ness as its companion, and a bit narrower of a target audience, too. Navigation frustrations also didn't help. But overall, my trip to Paw Paw rocked. The Whippin' Post and Woodshed combined for one of the most memorable disc golfing days I've had, right up there with Selah itself. I can't recommend visiting here highly enough.

Take your Spankin'

1    6/11/2014   6/20/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - - The Woodshed is a course of two extremes. It combines straight up bomber holes over giant rolling hills with extremely tight wooded holes. Multiple pads on some of the holes that give you an option of how you want to play it.

Right off the bat you get a sweet throw off a hill and a pin wedged between a pond and a treeline. You can throw at the pin but it's risky and that type of risk/reward is what you can expect on this course in the open. There are several huge throws that are mostly open but have the pin tucked in a woodline or around a corner that force you to throw big shots but we fairly accurate with where it's going. You can push the pin or you can play it safe. All the while on these holes you're dealing with huge elevation changes up down and across.

Now in the woods here you're in for a good deal of crazy tight and challenging shots. If you like to really be pushed on how accurate you can be while working a disc over shorter and sharper elevation changes while OB looms right off the fairway in some cases... well it's here, enjoy it if you can. I ended up throwing a lot of rollers and you'll need to be creative because you'll definitely end up off the fairway if you can even find the fairway.

The greens on the course are pretty well done in the open. As I said they found a way to put them in just the right place to make them challenging to reach while avoiding danger and in many cases they're on slopes so being on the wrong side can give you a death putt.

This course really is meant for people with huge D; if you have less than 400' of power you're not going to be able to reach a lot of the par 3's so you'll probably end up with some boring approaches. However for someone like myself I really enjoyed being pushed to air something out and be accurate.

Likewise the more open multi-shot holes are also well done in that your second shot is usually still a good enough distance and with enough obstacles or elevation to make it challenging.

Equipment - Baskets were in decent condition, didn't seem to have a problem catching. There are some hole maps on a few holes though they are fading. If you're lucky enough to catch the owner you'll get a map though come prepared with one just in case. The course isn't as hard to follow as I was led to believe but having the map really comes in handy when trying to figure out how the holes play.

Atmosphere - It's a private course on top of a mountain with open rolling hills, ponds and woods all in one. It's just awesome. The owner greeted us when we got there and gave us the rundown; just really seemed like they have put a ton of work in to this course and giving it the love it needs to shine. The mowing necessary to keep this course is up is quite insane and honestly I don't think the $5 they ask for is enough. I'd gladly pay more to play here again because it's worth it.
Cons: Layout - The wooded holes here are just way to tight. It is what it is and I'm sure there's a reason for them to be that way as this is the original course and perhaps it was meant to be like that in the beginning... but they're just to tight. There are some that I didn't have a problem with but overall they're not what I call a fair challenge and some luck is involved. I threw a lot of FH rollers just to keep the disc skinny and have a better chance of getting as far up the fairway as possible. If they just took a few trees out and made those holes more accessible this course would be instantly much better.

Perhaps a few to many huge more open bomber holes, if they could of mixed in some shorter shots with more obstacles it would have more balance. It's just some of those holes aren't as exciting or good as the others.

Equipment - The crush and run pads are showing age; they're uneven in spots and beginning to be overgrown in others. I teed off from the grass when possible just to have more sure footing. The teesigns here are also showing age and didn't really give you a great idea of the hole when they were still readable or there. Again make sure you bring a map or use the one provided.

Atmosphere -- If long walks up big hills is a problem for you then this might not be the course for you. It's nothing overly strenous however it's not a cakewalk to walk around this monster. I don't see it as a con but something to think about before coming.

Other Thoughts: This is one of the two courses at Paw Paw and in my opinion the lesser of the two. There's less overall balance and the wooded holes just aren't fair or all that fun considering.

Remember that this place is kind out of out there so bring whatever you need, it's not a short trip back to civilization.

Super Fun Course, Super Fun Place

1    6/6/2014   6/12/2014
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: The Woodshed and Whippin' Post put together one of the best possible days of disc golf out there and do a great job of balancing each other out. They are located on an awesome piece of property with rolling hills and dense woods that was made for disc golf. Far from anything else, you will most likely have this land all to yourself. While I didn't meet Gabbi when I was there, I had a very helpful phone conversation with her as she gave me precise directions for how to journey to their property. She was kind enough to have her son welcome us, give us a course map, and show us where each course began.

"Rustic" doesn't quite adequately describe the property, which offers bathrooms and a practice basket near the parking area. There are couches to relax on between rounds and they even set out jugs of water for us in the barn.

The Woodshed starts right in between the parking area and the barn and stays on that side of the property the entire time. It plays slightly shorter than its sister course (not that there is anything feminine about it) but actually felt longer to me with its many long, open holes. Elevation is pretty much a constant here with the rolling hills on holes 7-13 and the extreme sloping on holes 1-6 and 14-17. The course does a nice job in mixing up different pockets of hole types, as you go from open-wooded-open-wooded-open holes.

There is a great deal of risk/reward shots here which also adds to the course's ability to be replayed. Holes like 4 and 16 give you no choice but to try to hit the line, utilizing extreme slopes and road O.B. that bring unavoidable danger if you land off the fairway. These are similar looking holes, but I appreciate how one was a FH line and one was a BH line. Holes 1 and 10 do a great job of using each side of the pond and combine elevation and tight pin positions to put even the best-placed drives in some danger. Again, these holes initially appear to be similar, but were designed differently even while using the same section of property.

My favorite parts of the course were the two sections of wooded holes, 2-6 and 14-16. While some of these lines are borderline insane, I always felt that I was playing a fair hole that required more skill than luck. Even the very tightly wooded hole 6 had a specific line to the basket. The Gauntlet was easily one of the most memorable and hardest holes I have played, as well as hole 15.

The tee pads were in good shape, gave good support, and were free from any ingrown weeds or grass. Course maintenance was awesome for the most part: fairways were freshly mowed and discs were easy to find in the dense woods. All of the baskets have numbers on them, which helped some navigational problems.
Cons: -Navigation was one of the biggest detractors for me here. I highly recommend using a map, as there are a few times when multiple baskets are in view from the tee and many tee signs are missing. Even with the course map, navigation can be tricky and is not nearly as intuitive as it is on Whippin' Post.
-Grooming was immaculate for a course this size, but there are a few spots that can suck your discs in pretty easily.
-For me to move up the rating any higher, I would've liked to have seen more holes that were multidimensional, combining different technical elements. Holes 2 and 13 are great examples of multistage holes, but I would've enjoyed more of these on this side of the property.
-I wouldn't want to make the trek to this course in the rain or snow, but even my low-riding Altima with worn-out tires was able to make it here fine. Getting here isn't an issue, but the steep, winding roads encourage careful navigation. As others have said, come prepared with food, water, and gas, as not much is around this area at all.
Other Thoughts: The owners clearly love hosting these awesome courses and do their best to enhance your experience. Even though these courses gave me a severe beat down, I would come back in a heartbeat. The Woodshed was slightly below my expectations, but still had some of the most challenging and fun holes I've played with the wooded holes. Don't let my 4-disc rating stop you from coming here, as I think I would enjoy this course a little more if I had a bigger arm. Combined with the Whippin' Post, this makes for one of the most memorable days of disc golf imaginable. On our way back home, we saw a bear run across the road. This was Paw Paw's way of saying, "Yes, you were truly in the middle of nowhere. Yes, this is a one of a kind experience. And, yes, it was awesome!"

Scenic but need a guide!

1    5/31/2014   5/31/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
This review was updated on 6/11/2014
Pros: It was truly a unique experience to play this course. I will start with the drive to the course - WOW! If you thought Flip City or Chainbiters were off the beaten path think again. Getting to the course was almost as unique as playing the actual course. You had to travel down a winding path through the mountains and it was about 7 miles. Once you get to the property you can tell it was made for disc golf. Props to the owner for meeting me and describing the course and giving me a map. She was extremely nice and kind. This course truly had stunning beauty. Hole 1 was an incredible first shot that played nearly 500 feet with a pond to the left. The green is on a small sliver of land and the right offers a huge bailout area. Hole 10 was probably my favorite hole - its right in front of you for the taking. Its 389 feet and it takes all of that to carry the pond that guards the green. You can bailout to the left or you can try to go for the hole. Having multiple holes with water on the course truly ups the experience in my opinion. I love being able to air out drives and this course offered that opportunity. In particular, holes 7 through 13 really allowed you to air it out while still providing obstacles in the fairway. The variety on this course was truly there. There were some long and open holes and some incredibly tight holes. Hole 3, titled the Gauntlet, was truly one of the tightest holes over 500 feet that I have ever played. This hole, even though its only 534 feet, could easily be labeled a par 5. I threw three awesome shots and made to make a 30 footer for a 4. The course offered some nice elevation as well. Hole 2 had a large uphill drive and a couple of the back nine holes offered some downhill shots. Truly a great property that was seemingly made for disc golf!
Cons: I truly would love to give this course a higher rating but unfortunately I had too many cons. The main issue with the course was navigation. For me, this was mitigated because two locals showed up and I played with them but it would have been tough to navigate without them. Also, the owner gave me a nice map (not the one listed on this site) that helped with some of the distances and some navigation. Unfortunately not all holes have tee signs so finding some of the boxes would have been difficult. It was also difficult to tell the distances on the map, so I was guessing on some distances. If you play this course I would recommend playing with a local and printing the distances from this site. The day I played the grass was a little long but the owner said they were mowing that afternoon. The baskets are beginning to show some age but caught ok. The tee pads were gravel and I imagine could get very slick. Finally, some of the holes were very tight. I am okay with tight but a few of the wooded holes felt very constricted.
Other Thoughts: What an experience it was to play here. It was a really fun course with some truly awesome holes. I would highly recommend playing this course in a group or playing with locals because of navigation issues. Please keep in mind that I am rating this course a 3.5 which is considered very good. Also, the longer grass did cause some issues with losing discs. I unfortunately lost two discs the day I played and looked for another one for 20 minutes before finding it. The owner also warned me that the courses have had more snakes than usual because of some logging happening near their property. I would have loved to rate this course a 4.0 or better, but unfortunately the navigational issues are evident on the course.

A gem that needs some polish

1    4/19/2013   4/30/2013
Review By: Kent18
Pros: This private course is one of two courses in a remote section of West Virginia. Breathtaking views. Lots of tee shots with fun elevation changes. Baskets in great condition. Good balance of wooded to open holes. Has water element, two ponds that come into play A huge "shed" with lots of disc golf nostalgia with a place close by to camp with most of all the amenities that go along; fire pit, clean out-houses. Has the fun factor along with the gorgeous landscape. Lots of holes require two great shots to save par. Really friendly and accommodating private owners.
Cons: Tee signs are in bad condition. (Yes they have maps but still prefer tee signs) Tee pads could be spruced up with fresh fine gravel. There has to be something wrong with hole 3. We found the tee box and the basket just never seemed to locate the fairway? Decent number of downed trees on the wooded holes. Course flow would be tricky for first timers even with the map provided. Not that it's a con but not too may short holes here and along with that very few birdie chances.
Other Thoughts: The Woodshed was my favorite of the two courses located on the property and probably plays slightly easier as well. You can tell this course has seen a lot of good times in its history and can't help but wonder if its glory days are gone now? The demands of running/maintaining one let alone two private courses of this size has to be a challenge. Without knowing the situation it would be great if the local disc golf club (if one exists) could have 1-2 work days to spruce this baby back up. The course is very playable as is but with fading tee signs lots of downed trees you can't help but to also hurt for this gem of a place of what it can still be. Its a 4 1/2 star course at least in barely 4 star shape right now. My friend and I camped on the property and had a great time. (Make sure you pay$!) Apparently later this year they plan to have a huge 20 year celebration tournament. I would gladly go up a half a star if tee signs, tee pads, fairways cleared of unfair debris and benches were attended too.

Totally Friggin' AWESOME!!!

2-4    5/26/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 12/1/2015
Pros: 18 Championship caliber holes (36 really) on a private course with some of the most ideal terrain and scenic quality you can imagine to play on. The variety of open and wooded holes combined with the distance and elevation really test a player's mastery of skill through the air and mental toughness. There is rolling on elevation on most holes which always makes shots more interesting. There are big downhill and uphill bombs, as well as some long holes through the tight woods, and shots over and around the pond. Baskets are well placed with high risk and reward in most cases. Some huge flags on the baskets where they are blind from the huge elevation change. There were some tee signs.

The Woodshed features some of the best open holes I've ever played with it's huge rolling elevation, pond, and few trees coming into play. The wooded holes are some of the tightest holes I've ever played and definitely push the boundary of luck and your sanity. I love the way course plays to extremes and mixes things up. The Woodshed consists of two loops of 9 holes back to the parking lot.

The course is typically groomed like a 5 star ball golf course when I've played on Holiday weekends. There is tall grass off the fairways on the open holes, but the fairways are really generous like 50' wide, and there was little underbrush off the tighter fairways in the woods, so losing a disc is fairly hard unless it's a really bad shot or really unlucky.

Camping is available on site, so you can spend the weekend. Two very clean portapotties by the shed.

Cons: There are cons to the course, but I don't really care about amenities when the golf is the best of the best. For the uninitiated first timer to the course, the number one issue is navigation. The signage is lacking here, but if you have a map it's not hard to figure out. The other issue people may have is with the natural/gravel tees, while not ideal, it's sufficient.

Don't know if it's con but this course maybe too much a beginner or intermediate player, it really wasn't designed as such. It was designed for the best of the best. With that in mind I know some local beginners that do play the course and do ok, but can get frustrated.
Other Thoughts: For anyone traveling through Berkley Springs the experience begins with the drive to the course. It is simply breathtaking overlooking the valley of the mountains with the Potomac river below. The roads do get a little scary as you get closer to the course, but it also adds some thrill and anticipation. In some cases you may have to pull off to the side to let vehicles pass from the other direction. I would not want to drive here in the snow, it's scary enough in the dark or even daylight. If you are arriving from the west side of Paw Paw the drive is even scarier and not as scenic.

Upon arriving I put $20 in the can in the shed where the money to play and camp goes. I was only here to play both courses one day, but just looking at the property and work that has gone into here I felt obligated to pay more, and have payed more for some dinky courses comparatively. Gabby came out almost immediately to greet me with a smile and give me course map. This map is better than the ones on the website here. She also gave some quick pointers about the course and warned to watch for copperheads as one of her dogs was recently bitten. I know there are also bears, bobcats, and coyotes in the area.

Come here prepared not only as far as your golf game goes, but with enough water and food for your stay. There is hardly anything locally, and you really don't want to venture away for a few good reasons.

Spencer Thurman created The Woodshed to pay homage to the Boylan Christmas Tree Farm DGC which was one of the first epic North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountain courses that had par 4 and 5 holes and everyone was throwing lids. Since the Woodshed was also created when lids were the drivers, the pars on the course are a little inflated and created some tweeners, but this is truly the best disc golf experience I know of, and if you consider yourself a disc golfer this is an absolute must play and totally worth the journey from wherever, and I will hopefully be back sooner rather than later! What more can I say other than Paw Paw or as some call it Wap Wap is totally friggin' AWESOME!!!

< Prev 1 2 3