Timpson, TX
Timpson DGC Share
Uploaded By: bigmuffnuts Hole #2 (Taken 8/2020)

Schedule Your Visit to Timpson!

1    5/11/2021   5/12/2021
Review By: WD09
Pros: BASKETS. 10 Discatcher Pro double-chain baskets, all in great shape and all set at what appears to be the recommended height (including the practice basket).

TEE PADS. 18 large, level concrete tees, each oriented in the best direction to approach the hole. Among the best tee pads I have thrown from, considering size, level-ness (if that's a thing), and texture.

PROPERTY. This is one of the best pieces of land I have played on for disc golf. Mature, beautiful trees and natural elevation changes, along with a creek that runs throughout the park and a stone wall that outlines much of the park give this place a look and feel that can rarely be matched. There are several picturesque and useful wooden bridges to aid in creek crossings. The park appears to drain very well. In many places the creek is contained within rock and concrete embankments. I played the morning after a heavy rain fell throughout the night and there were a few puddles and the creek was running fast, but it was very playable, even with a cart.

COURSE DESIGN. If I had not seen it with my own eyes and played it with my own discs, I never would have believed that a course with 9 baskets and 18 tee pads could be this good! It is so well designed! If you watched drone flyovers of all 18 holes with no prior knowledge and no numbers on the baskets, you would eventually notice that some green areas look similar, but the course truly plays as 18 unique holes. Many times the two tees that share a basket are quite far apart (i.e., holes 1 & 10, holes 5 & 14, holes 6 & 15, holes 8 & 17, holes 9 & 18). Holes 9 & 18, notably, approach the basket from approximately 90 degrees apart from each other and those two tee pads may be 400-500' away from each other, so be aware of which direction you need to walk after holing out. Holes 6 & 15 throw to the same basket and they tee from two separate fairways cut out of the woods. When the tees that share the same basket are relatively close together (2 & 11, 7 & 16, for example), the shot has a different shape and distance. The fact that 2 holes share each of the baskets is incidental to the experience and I felt like I had played 18 unique holes. (If the course ever got crowded, the basket-sharing could become an issue - see below.) I will also note that I appreciated that the baskets were played in the same order for the front nine as for the back ( 1 is 10, 2 is 11, etc.). I have seen attempts to do this differently that caused much confusion. (Also, each basket is numbered with both its front and back nine number, to help eliminate any confusion.)

HOLE DESIGN. There is no tee shot on this course that can be made without considering the landing zone. Pins are invariably placed on a significant slope, near the creek, or near the OB wall and the long holes require consideration of good drive placement to set up a good approach shot. The "Grip and rip and then see what you've got for your next throw" technique would result in significant failure here. Several of the holes have a choice of different gaps off the tee. There are also many different shot shapes needed from the tee to be successful - I think over the 18 holes I threw at least 8 different discs from the tee, which is one indication to me of the variety of the holes.
Cons: There are only 9 baskets on the course. For casual rounds on an un-crowded course, this is no problem at all. For a potential tournament or if the disc golf scene really gets going in Timpson (population 1,155), it could become an issue.

There was one tee sign mistake that caused me some confusion. The sign for hole 17 indicates that the tee for 8 is to the left of it. Actually, 8's tee is maybe 150-200' to the right of 17's tee, up the hill.

There are few other park amenities. I saw some picnic tables and some swings, but no public restrooms and very little space for parking.

I guess I should note that Timpson, Texas is out of the way, for most people. Then again, if you go, you may have the course to yourself, as I did.
Other Thoughts: It should be noted that the park has posted hours of 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. If my travel plans had not changed, I would have shown up soon after first light. As it was, I got there a little after 9. Take note of the park hours.

I have never seen disc golf done this well at a public park in a small town. A friend who had played it had to convince me to go. I will go beyond saying "if you are driving through Timpson, play it." I say, "make plans to visit Timpson, Texas!"

Hidden Gem

2-4    8/26/2019   10/9/2019
Review By: mykalkross
Pros: Great tee boxes Very well laid out Excellently maintained Amazing variety of shots Not too wooded but not too open Good long and short holes
Cons: There are a few lights gotta be careful about No signage to show route 6/15 is out in the woods, clears up but very rough conditions right out of the box.
Other Thoughts: This is a very awesome small little course out in a small town. Truly a hidden gem with great features. Will be going many more times, and hopefully there will be updates with signage.

surprise

1    1/22/2019   1/28/2019
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: HUGE tee boxes
Benches on every hole
Hole number painted on tee box
Scenic 1930's WPA park
Cons: Tee signs are not in yet (polls are in place, but no signs)
Very muddy around #2/11 basket and on the fairway for 8/17 basket.
Very rough rough on 15, stay on the fairway
Other Thoughts: For a course with just 9 baskets, I was not expecting much. Town has under 1200 people and the park didn't look all that big.

you pull into the park next to a building. Gravel parking and hole 1's tee box is right next to the entrance. Huge tee pad with the basket over 300 foot near another entrance to the park. You have a wash and line of trees forcing a hyzer shot.
From there, the course just kept getting better.

In general, there are 2 tee boxes for each basket, in most cases, the tee's are a totally different look at the basket. Some of the tees are far apart like hole 9/18, they are 90deg from each other. totally different looks. Hole 15 is two totally different fairways cleared out of the rough. Only the last 150 ft are in common.

Several long shots, this is not a pitch and putt.

Most of the holes have some sort of elevation, although they are just small hills, but this is Texas, we take what we can get.

Would I play here again. Yes, I actually want to play this course again. It is not near a major highway, but if passing though, it is worth the spot. This course was built to bring people to the town, I think it is worth the stop.

High aspirations, almost met

1    12/25/2018   12/27/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: Timpson Park has some great slopes and valleys throughout the property which are excellently paired with the open forest (as in, lightly wooded trees, no underbrush or rough). That may be my favorite environment to put a course. Timpson DGC offers some great lines, and usually a few options per hole without being wide open.

An obvious effort was put into making this park top notch. The tee pads are full size concrete, the baskets are great discatchers, there are no tee signs but there are posts by the pads which I assume tee signs will go on one day. The pads have the number painted on the back of them, so you still know where you are.

There are a couple par 4's across the park, but they stretch across the road, or along the park boundary, or just near some other hazard. It's not suuuuper dangerous, but if there's an event in the park it could be a problem.
Cons: What really bothers me is the 9 baskets for 18 holes thing. It's pretty much just one long and one short pad at a slightly different angle. You almost always end up with the same approach, or just a slightly different line from the partner tee of that basket.

That's really the biggest con. No tee signs really wasn't an issue, I was never confused about which basket to throw to, the course map is pretty accurate (though some distances felt SO Much longer than listed). But I feel cheated when expecting an 18 hole course and getting two similar 9 holers layered on top of each other.
Other Thoughts: Timpson could've had a great 4.0 9 hole course, on par or even better than Iron Spike in Palestine, TX. The parks have similar space and elevation, but each has their own advantages- Iron Spike does have 3 tee's per hole, each very unique and challenging. Timpson has great tee pads and top of the line baskets. Obviously someone had some money to put into the course, and it pays off.

This course is also kind of out in the middle of no where. Timpson isn't really close to any big city, it's pretty small (population under 1,200 as of this review), so I was so surprised to see this course done so well, and really designed by someone who knew what they were doing. I chose a 3 for the rating because it really is a good course. I only played 9 holes there (one of the tee's to each basket), and had a fun round. (I did look at the other tee's and just decided to play whichever was more fun for me). It was right on my way on my 400 mile road trip, and one of my favorite courses I've played on that drive.

oh, also the course directions on the home page are wrong. The two streets this site says the course is at the corner of is incorrect. Look at the pin on the map to find the course.

Good luck!