Hudson, FL
Sunset Ridge DGC Share
Uploaded By: thrembo

Work in Progress and not worth pay to play at moment

2-4    4/29/2018   4/29/2018
Review By: screvy
Pros: Pro shop on site.
Deli for lunch.
drinking water on multiple holes.
new chain star baskets.
Cons: course is in really poor shape for pay to play. I understand it is a work in progress but paying for what's there is maybe worth $3 a round not $7. Tee pads are new but are uneven and have large lips. This leaves no run up space and is weird to get a good run up to mash a drive on some of the bigger holes. on short holes this is not an issue. there are random sand mounds on a number of holes that have you wondering what are they doing next. the course is dangerous as you are throwing on top of each other. flags need to be used to denote what basket you are aiming for as multiple are in site.
Other Thoughts: the course is dangerous with multiple fairways crossing and baskets in bad positions. One basket is a blind hyzer that has a holes walkway right behind it. just pour course design. flags need to be added to the baskets so you can tell what basket you are shooting for. On more than one tee you can see many baskets and are wondering what you are shooting for. this course is begging for someone to get hurt. It was not to busy the Sunday we went and we had multiple groups throwing on us and us throwing on them. For intermediate men and up this is a birdie or die course. Short, not very technical and little left to imagination. I feel bad for the women's global event (Florida Wildflower) who will be using this course as it is just not ready yet. The course left me wanting that signature hole and it never came. This course has little to offer, it will be interesting to see if the improvements help at all. good luck, watch out, and don't get hurt.

Good Start

1    1/27/2018   1/27/2018
Review By: thrembo
Pros: Private pay-to-play featuring the full-service Sun King disc golf store on site (an improvement over the Sarasota store IMO). Very nice concrete tees and adequate temp tee and next tee signs. Arrows under baskets take you right to the next tees. Very easy navigation. A mix of tech wooded holes and open bomber holes. Some minor elevation changes which are nice for coastal Florida. Well maintained. Cafe/deli on site.
Cons: Still a work in progress. Looks like not all of the tees are in yet and more permanent signage coming. The rough on the first few wooded holes eats discs and can make for a hard recovery. There is a fence that runs along some of the back nine holes that are heavily signed no trespassing and you are strongly encouraged before heading out not to go over the fences to retrieve your discs.

$7.00 per person for all-day play. $2.00 less if you buy something from the cafe and other specials too. It was $2.00 off the day we played if you bought something from the store. They also offer year-long passes and discounted multi-round passes.
Other Thoughts: Not quite a destination course, but maybe a destination facility. We definitely had a fun round here and having a full-service disc golf store on site is a bonus. My review is slightly tentative based on future plans, but the course is completely playable and it was good to see a lot of people doing just that.

Florida Elevation

1    1/11/2018   1/12/2018
Review By: Shade Seeker
Pros: Sunset Ridge surprised me. When I arrived, the property looked kind of uninspiring. After I played the first hole I thought I was in for a disappointing experience. Then, I got caught up in the fun!

The course could have been repetitive and boring if not for the designer using the property so well. The terrain consists of two ridges and two open areas that remind me of the city parks back home in the Midwest. The course weaves and winds through this terrain in clever and creative ways. Though there are two par fours, it's not a long course. Though it's a new course, it reminds me of classic older courses like Huntington Beach in California.

The course features new baskets, large, elevated concrete tees and a fantastic disc golf store. The layout requires skill at the turnover or flick shot - there are lots of left-to-right lines out there. I particularly enjoyed the longer holes near the end of the course. There's a slight slope there that I didn't seem to notice throwing uphill but turned my drives into bombs in the downhill direction.
Cons: Signs will be going in soon, but the temporary ones are adequate in most cases. There are no benches yet either.
Other Thoughts: I was the only player on the course when I played. I hope this is not because it's pay-to-play. It's well worth the $7 for the day ($2 discount if you spend money in the store or onsite deli). Course staff are super helpful. I called them three times during my round for navigational help and Chris couldn't have been nicer.

If you're in the area, this course will show you a fun time.

Great start to this new course.

1    1/7/2018   1/7/2018
Review By: GerryJarcia
Pros: Great little course with more changes to come. Thanks Mike and crew for putting this together. Fun, mostly short and technical course in an area that badly needed a course.

With the Sunking disc store right next door this course is a must visit for any disc golf fan in the Pasco/Hernando area!