Hialeah, FL
Uploaded By: punkfan55

The Good The Bad And The Ugly

1    4/20/2019   4/21/2019
Review By: thrembo
Pros: First, The Good:

There are some beautiful wooded water holes here with even a smidge of elevation change not generally seen in this part of Florida. There are a good mix of hole types and lengths,
Cons: The Bad:

Finding hole 1: Park by the zip line/wakeboard thing and head off past the portapotty on a good hike to find hole 1. There is a gate and potential closer parking but we were told the gate was always closed. The course has apparently suffered from so many changes that the tee pads vary from natural to on-road and the course features aging baskets of various types, some wracked hard and leaning this way or that. Even though most of the course is in a dedicated area, we still had to wait several times to let randoms pass by seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were on a DG course.

The ugly: This course is trashy. Trash all over to the point that it looked like the local league was using it to mark there ctp's. And of course, used condoms are never a welcome sight on a DG course.
Other Thoughts: Some of the folks in my group really didn't like this course. On the other hand, my local friend has a soft spot in his heart for this course as he has played it for many years and has fond memories. I get it, I have a soft spot for Shorewood in IL. I'm guessing that this course isn't in the best of areas or is near a landfill or something and the trash might be too much for the local league to handle.

There is property here for an incredible DG course. It needs a complete makeover though and the park looks like it would rather spend the money it would take to do that on other things instead :(

I Was Flying Low At Amelia Earhart Park But Then Pulled It Out

1    3/23/2019   3/25/2019
Pros: I arrived at 7 am and must have driven into the wrong gate. I could find no evidence of a disc course. I finally found someone to ask who directed me to those woods on that island. I ran into a locked gate, paid my $7 parking and walked through the locked gate. There I found a small hand made sign saying disc golf.

I gotta say I was totally underwhelmed by the first seven holes. Signs were incorrectly numbered, holes didn't match up, paths leading to nowhere, signs were lying down with graffiti. Just when I would think I was on the right track, I was thrown another curve. I was not impressed.

After I finished # 3 or # 7 ? I walked out hunting for # 8 and a friendly local was happened by. He pointed me to # 8 and the rest of the course and informed me that had I parked over there, it was free parking (like Monopoly). He also explained that the recent hurricane had badly damaged the wooded area containing holes 1-7.

From this point on, I am liking this course. It flowed well, had a lot of pretty (and always treacherous) basket positions set just feet from the lake's shores. It was a gorgeous late March Florida morning and the baskets set in front of the lake's shimmering were stunning. I especially liked # 8 with it's tree-lined fairway and the sun drenched basket, # 9 with another basket shimmering in the morning sunlight and # 10 which is either 240' or 270' and has you throwing over the small inlet to a basket just a few feet past the water. The information sheet states that discs are easily retrievable while the signs here state no swimming to retrieve discs.
Cons: I really disliked holes 1 to 7. I found this part confusing, not real attractive, with beat up tee pads, some signs lying down with graffiti. It didn't flow very well and I was never sure whether I was one the right track or not.

Lots and lots of places to splash your plastic. Playing this course seriously would take the guts of a burglar and total control of your discs. I have neither of these and was therefore severely handicapped.
Other Thoughts: There are some very pretty holes here from 8-18 along with two water carries. There's kind of a natural flow from 8 onwards. This is an interesting course to rate. After the first 7, I was thinking about a 1.0. The final 11 rate about a 3.0. I am not math proficient to figure out 7/18 is a 1.0 and 11/18 is a 3.0? So I'll go with a 2.5 which might be a little on the generous side.

What is this place

1    2/18/2017   2/19/2017
Review By: Jswizz
Pros: It's a disc golf course
Cons: Dirtier than you can imagine, dead animals, some type of voodoo relics on the course.
Other Thoughts: I was at a loss for words. I don't see many recent reviews so maybe the course degraded over time. There was trash everywhere and a homeless man came out of the woods while I was waiting at the practice basket for the rest of my party and wanted to play disc golf with me. It was quite odd to say the least. There was a very bad smell through the front end and trash everywhere. A park patron on a bike tried to ride off with an item that was left behind on a hole and we literally had to chase them down to get it back. It didn't seem like the park backs up the sport that much. I want to like this course but I just can't get over the negatives. Hopefully someone adopts this place and cleans it up as I'm sure it was better in the past. It's a hike from where I usually play and can't see myself making the trip again until it improves.

It's Hialeah people

2-4    1/11/2014   1/21/2016
Review By: hazimwood
This review was updated on 8/8/2016
Pros: Shot variety; flat over water, from the top of a hill towards the edge of the lake, over a small river-like body, through Large beautiful woods, etc.
Large Iguanas everywhere
It's absolutely gorgeous
Good layout, once you figure it out.
Cons: It's in Hialeah
Traffic to and fro
Pay to get in
Needs better upkeep
People settle for picnics near some baskets, particularly on few shots over the water.
figuring out the layout.

Other Thoughts: I love this course, but because its in Hialeah and I live in south Miami, people aren't too keen on going that far and then paying to play. I went with people who were familiar with it so we found our way around, but compared to other parks, this place can be bad with direction. The course does use most of the parts where there are no people, so that's good, but there were a few instances where we had to lay up, as to not hit people. Again it's in Hialeah, so there's about as much trash blowing about as you see in the rest of town.

The Course is fun and worth the trip, Lots of great basket positions..challenging, fun, beautiful.

IMO: Don't let the random park-goers scare you off, in most cases they are interested in what your're doing and they let you play through their BBQ... just don't be a jerk and yell,"four!" and expect regular people to care or tolerate you. Most of the course is clear of such situations though, so be nice and have fun.

1    3/7/2015   3/10/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: This was the biggest surprise of the South Florida region. It was both a better course and easier to navigate than I was expecting. It's not a game-changer but it's a really solid course without a lot of real flaws and it has some interesting holes and true variety.
The first few holes are real wooded holes. Defined fairways that err on the generous side. Double curves. Nice landing areas. Well done. The rest of the course is more open but sparse trees and occasionally elevated baskets mix things up through the course. There are a few holes along the lake but the real gem is 10. Downhill across an open space that narrows to a gap. The basket is just on the other side of a small inlet of the lake. 18 is also a beauty with a long through across rolling hills to an entry point into the woods where the basket sits atop a short but steep hill. The rolling hills come into play on a few other holes as well. Really a nice mix of features here.
A map is a good idea but for the most part it isn't needed. Follow the paint. Spray painted trees mark hole numbers. The tees have been labeled with the hole number and where to go following the basket and where needed the ground has been marked with arrows.
Unless my experience was atypical, and it was lightly raining for most of my round, then I see no reason not to play this one.
Cons:
The trash. It's strewn through the wooded areas and occasionally elsewhere.
The tees. Rubber ones that have seen better days.
The aesthetics. As much as I appreciated it, spray-paint on all the trees is not my favorite way to navigate a course. And then a good amount of the tee signs have been vandalized.
Navigation at times. I had no trouble but I did refer to the map a few times, especially around 10-12.
Other Thoughts: It's true that a lot of holes cross walkways or park roads but I'm not sure how much use these get. The populated areas of the park are far from the course and at least while I was there, that section of roads was closed to traffic.

Amelia Earhart Park

5+    10/19/2013   10/23/2013
Review By: Peter S
This review was updated on 8/3/2015
Pros: The course has a variety of shots from open to wooded. There is also some good use of what little elevation the park has to offer by lake and some former mountain bike hills. Rest rooms by park enterence, some rubber tees. Never a wait to throw behind another group as under used D/G course. Returns to car after hole 7 to refresh water, you will need it.
Cons: Very busy park on weekends and other park users sit or park cars on fairway. Come early. $7.00 per car weekends, no single person discount fee. Garbage picking buzzards/birds & the trash blows all over the park.
Other Thoughts: The wind is almost always a factor. Featured holes are #16 over the water & elevated baskets on 1a & 18. New signs. New longer basket positions for 1-5 adds challenge.

For such Great potential, worst course ever.

1    8/15/2013   8/22/2013
Review By: Paladin
Pros: Great Terrain, Lots of Trees, Water, varying elevation, Hole on a tall mound, and Hole on a tree stump. Nice shade.
Cons: The layout is chaos, looks like some one took a handful of pebble and dropped them on a map and the randomly decide which would be tees and whole. I'm a traveler and picked this one nearby, but I was playing alone so no spotters, etc. Navigation is nearly impossible, there were a few Holes or tees I never did find. There were some new signs, but there were also old signs for the same holes that were never removed, one was actually covered by a bush. In many cases the walk from the hole to the next tee is just as long as tee to hole. I could not play this course in order I just played the next one I ran across, sometimes just picking my own spot for tee when I found the hole but no tee box. So no score here since i couldn't finish, and I spent more time searching than playing.
Other Thoughts: So sad the potential for this course is the best I've ever seen, but the layout is terrible.
All tee boxes need to be replaced.
Many signs need to be replaced.
A starting point (Hole 1) needs a Gathering area and clear signage.
Clear Trail markers need to be set down guiding players from tee to hole, hole to tee.

5+    1/22/2013   1/22/2013
Review By: ngramly
Pros: A good mix of distance holes and technical holes. The majority are influenced by water and/or the road that runs through the park which is OB. A good all around course.
Cons: The tee pads are poorly marked and it is difficult to navigate if you're not familiar with the course (even with a map). Most fairways are more rocks and coral than they are grass so bring your durable plastic.
Other Thoughts: It's the only course in the area (next course to the north is a 25 mile drive away and to the south is about the same) so I find myself playing here when I'm nearby.

Water Burial

1    9/10/2008   8/10/2012
Review By: diggs11pond
Pros: Good distance on a few holes. I enjoyed some of the holes with more technical needs too. Water comes in to play on a bunch (RIP Cheetah...oldest disc in my bag...) The mound-top basket and the stump basket are sweet.
Cons: Hard to tell where you are going. Tee pads are terrible. Course is not in great shape all around.
Other Thoughts: I was in Miami for work and was able to take some time to play. It was exactly what I was hoping for. Any decent player should never do worse than par here.

Good course... Needs work

5+    7/1/2012   7/1/2012
Review By: MrDiscinox
Pros: - Gets a 3 rating for having elevation in South Florida... Truly unique. Otherwise a solid 2 course.
- Fun and challenging.
- Design makes use of interesting terrain, water, elevation, woody and clear areas
- Never more than 3 or 4 groups at one time and usually the course is yours (great for practice!)
Cons: - Expensive. $6 to get in the park. See note below.
- Very poorly marked. Worn paths mark the trail. Some signs. Some baskets have numbers.
- Varied teeing medium... Dirt, rubber, road, etc
- Locals have no idea what you are doing. Yield to all bicyclists, children, parties, etc. I've had to skip holes because people have had a BBQ setup at the basket.
Other Thoughts: Take 4th Ave to the alternate driveway and park in the grass. You can either play from one of the holes nearby (you'll be around #11) or take a short walk to #1. There is a huge driving range here closest to the road.

I don't recommend skipping out on the fee to play! They take pretty good care of the course as far as wood chips and mowing are concerned. Low traffic means low litter as well.

Its a fun course! Well worth it if you live in South Florida. And I come from the Great Disc Golf State, Michigan!