Maysville, GA
Hurricane Shoals Park Share

A 380' par 6? :P

1    4/15/2018   4/15/2018
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -This is a very scenic place far down in the country. It's isolated, it includes an old corn mill right beside the parking lot and a historical heritage village. That automatically makes this place unique. As for the course, I kinda liked it. There's something about it that I really liked and makes me want to go back sometime.

-For a troop of eagle scouts, they did a good job with the land available. None of the holes here are bad. Most of them are pretty straight, but one of them is a neat dogleg right. I also liked hole 9. It's a cool downhill throw. The hole is wide open, but the appearance of it does excite you. It has that "Grandma's backyard" feeling.

-The red baskets were unique. They aren't disc catchers but they catch just as well I think. The course also had nice tee diagrams with the hole info.

-Navigation for the most part is a breeze. It's a simple quiet walk out in a nice grassy field. A field that isn't flat. There is also a sign directing you to the course once you get to the entrance. Park by the kiosk.

-The view itself is a pro. This place is very picturesque on a sunny day.
Cons: -The main problem is where the tee signs are placed. They are right in the back of the tee pads. I didn't need much of a run up on any of the holes, but I did on a few. Brings me to say this course is painfully over parred. Hole 1 is a 205', very aceable hole but it's listed as a par 4. Now hole 9 is listed as a par 6. Why? I got a two on this hole; a minus four score and I don't know what that's considered. Fun hole, but clearly an all par 3 course. I think if the designer kept the signs OFF THE TEEPADS, every hole would be listed as a three.

-Course designer's logic: "I'll over par this course and just try to make something original out of it and prevent run-ups."

"Put the peppermint stick in the orange and use it as a straw to sip through it." We all come to find that doesn't work. My kindergarten library teacher told my class to do that for some Christmas event. I knew even as a six year old that it doesn't work that way. It's the same way with tee pads and tee signs. Don't stick the sign in the pad.

-Other problem is just a spring/summertime thing. Grass gets pretty tall.
Other Thoughts: -This is a nice unique place to visit and play disc golf. I could see people developing a stronger interest in the game after playing this course. I really liked the red baskets. Something about the red baskets and green grass made this place beautiful and feel like a better part of Georgia. Every hole here is likable to some degree. With holes 3, 6, and 9 being somewhat more enjoyable than the normal open hole. Those three holes utilize the available elevation pretty well, even though it's not that significant.

-I'd seriously upvote this review to a 2 if it wasn't for the "peppermint stick in the orange" kind of thing. Tee signs should never be in the tee pad. That was my main beef. My only beef really. I'd check this course out!