Clanton, AL
Clanton DGC Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #14 (Taken 4/2018)

A Great Start For A New Course

1    4/27/2018   7/20/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (2.147 Rating) A light to moderately wooded layout that will entertain a wide swath of skill levels.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - I thought I was going to get a super easy cake walk of a course after playing the first 3 holes, but then the obstacles and length challenges stepped it up a bit. The balance between fairness and difficulty is at the ideal make-up for the widest swath of skill levels. I think most local players from Novice through lower Advaned, will be able to enjoy this one.
- CHAINS - Originally listed as DISCatchers before my play, but there were unfortunately no yellow bands peaking thru the woods here. However, they are MachVs which I think are a nice cheaper alternative.
- UNIQUENESS - A nice mix of open bombers through heavily wooded technical holes. A good mix of distances, 200 feet to 550 feet. A couple holes have nice right breaking turns to them and there are a bunch of blind shots that need game planning. Water is in fringe play for skilled players and there were two listed par 4s on my appearance. As for missing items, no doglegs and little elevation.
- GROW THE SPORT - The sport has made another foothold in a location that didn't have any courses within 30 minutes. This is the perfect sized course to help to continue to grow the sport.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The first 3 holes were nothing to write home about. However once I got to hole (8) the beauty of this layout is really nice. Like many city park courses, there's a great tree and plant species diversity. Creek elements and maintained gentle rolling meadows are also present. In totality I scored the course a 2.625 out of 5.

Cons: The course needs more development
- NAVIGATION - It was really bad on my appearance. Hopefully it will continue to improve through the rest of 2018. The layout has already had a substantial revision since first opening and the course map that is on this site was useless after hole (6) on my play. I probably spent 20 to 30 minutes walking around aimlessly. I went and corrected the holes distances after playing but it will need a new map. Like many new courses, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be more layout tweaking. So be cognizant of the added adventure possibilities. No tee signs or posted course map on my play. Holes are marked by white painted 4x4s. Someone was kind enough to sharpie number them. Baskets are well labeled.
- TIME PLAY - Navigation needs to be resolved, see above. Right now a solo first timer will need almost 90 minutes to complete a round here.
- MULTI USE HAZARDS - Not too horrible but walking paths and low use park roads come into play on several holes. I had to pause my game several times for walkers.
- TEES - One of the issues with a newer course is generally the tees. They were just natural flat grass or in some cases, dirt. They were playable during my appearance but they will continue to degrade over time.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the poor tees and navigation, the course doesn't really have any amenities other than existing general park amenities. No practice basket, multi tees or alternate basket placements. Tee shading is only at about half of the holes. I saw only one bench on the layout, hole (11), but I think it was a captured existing park bench. There's a shelter with picnic tables in the park and I'm sure there are restrooms, although I did not see where.
- HOLE 14 - Not sure what happened for the design on this one. A well defined lane thru some hardwoods about halfway to the basket. Then the line has to poke through a wall of trees on the right side and travel a good 120 feet and miss another dozen or so trees. Making a deuce here is all luck.
- ELEVATION - Really not much for the designer to work with in this multi-use park. Hole (4) I think was down 10 feet and I think it was the most noticeable elevation change on the layout. Hole (13) which is the longer of the two par 4s, has some subtle slope to it as well and it has the potential to affect approach plays. There's also a creek bed in play and its slopes could affect some fringe fairway recovery shots.

Other Thoughts: What a great start for a new course in an area that didn't have one. I think there's enough here for a Birmingham area player to come check it out at least once after the navigation gets resolved. The game play at Clanton is better than its two nearest courses, Veterans and Montevallo, but it lags behind on amenities. Also a good freeway stop course for those traveling through, but again it needs to have the navigation resolved first before I'd recommend that a non bagger stop by.
- CHALLENGING - About average compared to 290 courses I've played as of this review. I have found in my travels that the average difficulty for a course will have 900 rated players averaging 2 down over 18 holes. For Clanton DGC, I think that a 900 rated player will average 2 or 3 down on average, if it's a par 56. There's a bit of length on a few holes, but it's not overwhelming. There some nice shot shaping holes, but there are open holes as well.

2-4    4/17/2018   4/21/2018
Review By: UnopposableThumb
Pros: This course was very fun. I enjoyed all of the challenges and different obstacles it had. It had a couple of par 4s and 5s, with distances shots in fields, and shaped shots through woods. The first half of the course was open shots, the second half was moderately wooded. One of my new favorite courses.
Cons: Not well labeled. I assume this was because the course is new, but I still don't know if I started on hole one, if I played the course in order, or If I played the correct tee to the correct basket. It is also in the middle of a park, so there are sometimes cars parked in fairways, or next to baskets, or children playing in fairways or baskets. There is no course map yet, so you just have to start playing when you find a hole, and search for a basket afterwards. Some tees were also close to the basket of the last hole. When I played this course, there were not other groups playing. But if it is busy then this will be a problem. If you are waiting behind a group to play a hole, you will have to wait for them to finish the one hole, then drive and walk away from the tee before you can safely drive.
Other Thoughts: Many cons, but the course design and shape was very fun. I enjoyed playing it, and I will be coming back several times, maybe I will even make it my main course.