Murfreesboro, TN
Common Ground DGC Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #1 (Taken 4/2018)

A Nice Church Course

1    9/3/2018   10/26/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (1.949 Rating) A heavily wooded 9 holer with moderate elevation usage.
- RAW BEAUTY - The beauty I think this is the best aspect of this course. Normally when I think of church courses, I imagine open multi-use fields, a spattering of trees and baskets laid out along the fringe areas. Not at all with Common Ground as this one is almost entirely set in the woods. There are lots of rock features too, which apparently is common for the Nashville area. In all, I'd say this course is around 60 percentile in my course beauty ranking spreadsheet. No water features and too many small downed branches in the fairways and fringes are holding it back from a slightly better score.
- CHAINS - Yeah DISCatchers. It made spotting the target down fairway in these heavy woods that much easier.
- ACEABILITY - With nice solid baskets, it's going make chain smashing all that more common. Most of lines require a little movement, but seven shots are under 235 feet.
- QUICK PLAY - Once finding the start of the layout, running the course is fairly quick. Figure 35 minutes for a solo and 70 minutes for a group of four.

Cons: Those that like manicured open layouts should go elsewhere.
- TEES - They are carpet and are slowly being returned to nature as I write this. This course is not that old, perhaps 2 years on my play. So to know that carpet will only last maybe a year or two makes installing them pretty much a waste of time. In addition, they were laid directly on the ground with no surface leveling consideration. I personally teed to the side twice.
- NAVIGATION - There is no map for this course on DGCR, but once finding (1), It's not too difficult. First off, players should park at the southern end of the parking lot. To find tee (1), head southwest towards the road and tree line intersection. There along the road sidewalk is a bench, a deteriorating carpet pad and a vinyl sign becoming engulfed in overgrowth. After this adventure, most next tee signs can be spotted from the prior basket or there's a intuitive pathway. Tee signage quality is poor.
- CHARACTER - Only the crude basics of tees and navigation, however as noted above, great DISCatcher baskets. There are a few benches spaced evenly along the layout. All other amenities and extras are absent.
- MAINTENANCE - Common ground is maintained just enough to make it passable. As stated above, the tees are in rough shape. Fairway edges are very raw with small fallen branches everywhere. Anyone with walking impairments probably should avoid this course. The signage is on flimsy white vinyl and they are fading a touch. I doubt they will make it through the winter. On the flipside, I spotted very little trash and pathways between holes are wide enough to keep the machete in the car.
- OVERGROWTH - Not epic bad, but straying off fairway even a little bit, will get interesting. I pinged a tree on (7) and it cut into 30 feet of dense foliage. I constantly found myself searching for spider web destroying sticks so as not to become entangled in a silky wrap. Hole (8s) foliage is extra evil as the fairway line gets a little sun, thus the edges are even more diabolical. I wasn't paying to great deal of attention for poison ivy, but I think it's here. I was more worried about the terrifying harmless spiders.
- UNIQUENESS - About average for a niner but lacking overall. Hole is (1) is the only longer shot and lightly wooded shot. Hole (2) is moderately wooded. The remaining holes are all heavily wooded. Sure a couple are up and a couple are down, but the surrounding elements felt the same. Basket (6) is a raised placement to punish those running at the basket on the downhill line.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - I wouldn't take a beginner here. Take them to nearby Barfield Crescent instead and play the open 9 hole layout.

Other Thoughts: I liked it for a church course. I went over my past notes and it appears that this was my 13th church course and its currently my second highest rated even at a mid 2 rating. Far behind my favorite, Austin Ridge Bible Church which I have at a solid 4. I think this set-up will work well for members of the church and for those within a couple miles. The lines a pleasing enough and there's enough obstacles in the short layout to keep players working for it. Obviously this type of course won't please everyone. I could see those that enjoy bombing shots not enjoying this one as the driver may have to stay in the bag the entire time. I personally only used mine once on tee (1) where I think the hole is much longer than the stated 302 feet. It's more like 330 to 340 according to satellite imagery. Regardless, this is a nice church course and an effective use of unusable land. I'd play here routinely if I lived in the neighborhood.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - About average or a touch below. Yes this is a heavily wooded course, but it's too short for skilled players. I could see myself as an Intermediate level player averaging 2 down with for 4 birds and 2 bogeys. The main key for a majority of the holes is to throw a putter or mid on a subtle moving line in hopes to miss a pinch point. A hit means easy bird, while a big miss means a dire scramble for par.

1    6/8/2018   6/10/2018
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Decent short technical 9-hole woods course. Well-designed in that even though it is short, it is tight enough to make it more challenging than it looked on the internet.

9 numbered Discatchers look great.

Navigation was easy without a map. Tees are near the previous basket, with clear paths in the woods, and there was even spray-painted arrows on the ground helping to point the way.
Cons: I appreciated the effort on the [narrow] fairways on the 7 woods holes that appeared to be regularly maintained, however, off the fairways is typical woods undergrowth that just gets tall and thick in the summer. Any errant throw, bad kick off a tree, or just a fade/skip into it will likely lead to a search.

Hole 8 was lined with some weed that will surely swallow discs forever.

Carpet/natural tees. Tee signs were helpful, but are of a quality that will not endure the elements for very long.
Other Thoughts: Overall I actually was impressed with what is here- hole design is logical and the flow makes sense. Great place to bring mids and work on accuracy. Nothing more than a fairway driver will be needed, besides in the woods you won't want anything with much speed or fade as it might get lost.

This course is probably best played between November-April before the woods undergrowth gets thick. (in other words it would be more fun not having to look for discs)

Not a destination course, probably not going to be played by many people except the church members and people who live/work nearby. I have it rated around a 1.75- somewhere between passable and reasonable.

Playing up a rocky wooded hill reminded me of some of the holes of nearby Barfield, just in a scaled-down version.