Roanoke, VA
4 / 485ft.   4 / 570ft.   4 / 535ft.   4 / 620ft. Par / Distance:

Incredible course!

5+    6/1/2019   6/1/2019
Review By: Ledmelon
Pros: Must play course! -Spectacular views -Excellent tee signs -Beautiful paver tees -Challenging layout -3 tee boxes and 2 baskets every hole make it attainable for all levels/challenging but playable for all levels except absolute newbs -Benches at all but one tee - Very well beat in for only it's second year - 2 practice baskets at parking lot with about all putt scenarios practicable .... Uphill, downhill,flat ,long, various obstructed...... Perfect!
Cons: -Ticks! -Can get a little marshy in spots after a lot of rain ...but only on a few holes
Other Thoughts: This is an amazing not to be missed course! In a few years given a little more maturity/ pavers on red and blue tees/white tees only currently, I believe it will be an A level tour stop. This course is a county owned maintained property. It was designed and a lot of monetary support from both county and local donors were given to design this purpose built course. It must also get a great amount of local club love( BRAVO RDGC!!). The 3$ fee is so worth it for the level of play this course offers. I feel very lucky to have this as a local course. Can't wait to see it sued be the pros on Jones soon!.. It is an extreme elevation change course prepare for a hike..bring water... Ticks are rampant prepare accordingly

great hilly course in VA

1    10/5/2018   10/9/2018
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Great challenge presented with plenty of par 4's and couple par 5's. The grass was cut beautifully to look like a 'ball' golf course in the open and even some of the wooded holes had cut grass in the fairways.

The wooded holes were fair, nothing too tight with tiny gaps to hit.

Cement paver tee pads were excellent. Great signage at both the blue (Pro) and white (Adv) tees.

2 baskets on each hole so 4 different configurations are available to play.

Well marked course, plenty of arrows pointing you in the direction of the next tee. I didn't need a map that I had printed except between 12 and 13.

I'm a rather hard reviewer on courses and this newer course still gets a 4.5 from me, it's that good.

I'd like to see the pro's attack this course, it's championship worthy.

Lots of wooden stairs were built to help you up and down the hills in the woods.

No filler holes, each one was well designed.
Cons: Not beginner friendly, this probably belongs in the pro comments :)

No shade parking.

Other Thoughts: This course is so worth the $3 honor system fee. I played Greenfield earlier in the week and Rolling Pines in NC the day before and Mayflower was better than both of them which is saying a lot!

The elevation changes are no joke, my iPhone says I climbed 32 floors while playing.

I added Mayflower as one of my favorites and hope to return someday, it's over 6 hrs from my home.

Traffic on I-81 sucks big time, it's only 2 lanes wide and trucks get in your way constantly.

Just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, a very scenic drive.

A breathtaking beast

1    8/2/2018   8/3/2018
Review By: travis.d
Pros: This was the first time I have played this course, and I played Blue to Blue, which is the longest layout. First, every hole has multiple baskets (yellow/blue) permanently installed and multiple tees - red, white, and blue. I am going the course a bit of slack of the tee pads because they are currently upgrading the blues to paver style. All of the white tee pads are paver styler, which I thought was well done and looked great. Right now the blues are mostly carpet, but that will change soon, (there was a crew literally working on this when I played) so I am giving them that benefit for the future. The signs are perfect. They have a really nice depiction of he holes that seems very accurate. They also show elevation at the bottom for each tee and basket over the course of the hole. Distances are written for each combination available to play as well, which is appreciated. Also, there is a sign afte pretty much every hole pointing you towards the next holes teepads. It differentiates between the red/white/blue with arrows as well so you know exactly where to go. The paths have nice stairs installed where needed so navigation is smooth. Carts could be tricky on a few holes, but that's just because of the elevation change, and I wouldn't call that a con.

As far as the course design, this might be a new favorite for me. The course does an impressive job balancing tight technical holes with open fairways, and the whole spectrum in between. It's also balanced throughout the round, rather than back nine as one and front nine as the other.

The elevation change on this course is substantial, in a great way. There are some also bombs out onto down hill fairways, and some exhausting uphill throws that challenge your power and accuracy.

The thing I love about the technical holes is that they are difficult, but fair. You won't be asked to hit a 10 foot gap for the first 300 feet of the tee, rather you will have reasonable but difficult fairways requiring shot shaping, finese, and sometimes power.

For amenities, there were bathrooms at the beginning of the course, a nice parking area and a pavilion. There were benches on a majority of the holes, which was good because playing blue to blue wiped me out.

Pars were selected well, and the holes balanced with par nicely. I'm not a fan of tweener holes really (3.5, 4.5, etc.). Although some of the par 3s are really tough, I found them all to be reasonably attackable once you get to know the shot. This was my first time, so I look forward to coming back and attacking them more now that I have played all the holes.

Lastly, the view is awesome. The course feels so professional, like you are playing a tournament every time. It was in great condition. The elevation changes really make it gorgeous.
Cons: Hardly any, but if I am nitpicking, I'll list these:

- no snack shop or larger park amenties
- pads are not all pavers yet
- pay to play - $3. But honestly, I will happily pay $3 for a course like that, especially knowing that helps keep it in as good shape as it is.
Other Thoughts: Kudos to the course designers for making something special here - I definitely can't wait to come back and wish i lived next door!

Wow

1    7/8/2018   7/31/2018
Review By: mshelton
Pros: Great variation in elevation
Open and wooded holes
Shot shaping on most everything
Well maintained
Good sineage and flow to the course
Lots of different shots covered
Nothing felt like a filler hole
Kept us thinking on pretty much every hole
Map of the course at the start
Cons: Not much to say on the con side, I know they are installing concrete pads now and I look forward to playing it again when they are in.
There's no drinking water to be had at the park, least that I could find, and I didn't see any nearby stores so not really a con but something to keep in mind.
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed the variation in terrain and elevation here, definitely the most was made out of the land and features available. Seems like a lot of nuances are on the course too, the wide open shot that you may not want to land on a certain slope or the uphill anny that though the obvious line probably isn't, the course was really well thought out and in great shape for being so new, seems like newer courses take a year or so to get beat in but this one is great now.

Cost to play is $3 per day, really worth it and I don't think anyone would have a problem with that after a round there. The entrance is near an access point to the Blue Ridge parkway, I found that kinda nice, the parkway is always a cool drive then to be able to hit this course just a min or 2 off it is a plus.

Looking forward to getting back out there and seeing how the teepads turned out and playing it again.

Definitely worth stopping for if you're anywhere in SW Virginia.

May Flower in the Hills

1    7/17/2018   7/25/2018
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Most holes have 3 sets of tees with an excellent tee sign and bench for each hole and easy to spot yellow DisCatcher baskets with multiple pin positions. Easy to navigate and very well maintained. Two loops of 9 holes back to parking area with the front 9 being more open and the back 9 which I liked a little better was more wooded.

Excellent course design integrating the available terrain and rolling elevation. Great mix of mostly open and wooded holes. Good flow between the holes. Scenic course in many places, really liked the backdrop of the mountains behind hole 10 and there's some pretty landscaping as well. There is OB on some of the holes, including the fenced retention pond on hole 1 although it was dried up when I played. Hole 4 has some roped OB. Holes 5 and 6 have the creek and across as OB.

Portapotties by parking lot. Course map kiosk by parking lot and hole 1.
Cons: The biggest con currently is the lumpy gravel tees everyone else has mentioned. The carpet on the white tees over the gravel wasn't all that great either. The good news is that there are plans to have pavers installed on the tees in the near future, as well as multiple baskets on each hole.

Tee signs are only on the white tees and appear to be partially in the way of a couple of the blue tees.

OB barbed wire fence on hole 14, can't retrieve discs from. I'm surprised the creek on hole 12 and 15 is casual. I'm surprised there is no OB line between holes 11 and 17 buttressed fairways. There's some poison ivy in spots.

Bring exactly $3 dollars or pay via website.
Other Thoughts: I'm rating Mayflower Hills as if the tees are already upgraded from gravel/carpet. To be honest as a traveling player I'd wait to play here until after the pavers are installed, then it might be a destination worthy course. I happened to be in the area for work, and MayFlower Hills is the best course in the area, and Greenfield is a great course to pair with. I played the white tees since they appeared to be the most in shape tees and had the signs and benches. I thought the pars were appropriate for white level players.

Overall this is or will be a phenomenal course for all players. I didn't particularly care for hole 15 with it being so steep and tight the best throw by far is an overhand. To a lesser extent hole 4 due to the high potential of bad roll-a-way on a good shot, and hole 13 can be really punishing of an errant shot kicking or bad roll-a-way. The one thing I felt was missing was an epic downhill bomb in the woods, although hole 14 is a nice open downhill bomb that requires some placement landing with OB surrounding the fairway. I was surprised to have the place to myself and really enjoyed playing here and I do recommend to anyone.

Worth a Pilgrimage

1    7/1/2018   7/2/2018
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: An incredible course. It's a remote public course with epic terrain more reminiscent of a private course. You pay $3 for a day pass to play here but it's worth $3 a round honestly, it's that good. Shh, don't tell anybody I said that though. It's a beautiful piece of property that seemed to be an old farm in a prior life so it reminds me a lot of Harmon Hills. Very hilly with lots of wide open bombs to and around well utilized stands of mature trees make up roughly half the course while the other half is full of good wooded holes, many which have the most extreme elevation change. There's also a tranquil creek running alongside 2-3 of the wooded holes. Despite the rustic, scenic nature in abundance the fairways are really clean and well-defined.

Equipment is championship caliber save for the tees. Great catching Discatchers and possibly industry leading tee signs. So much information conveyed on these highly visible, aesthetically pleasing tee signs. They even feature an elevation change profile. "Next tee" signs are well done. I was very pleased with how well-mowed the fields were. Even though the fairways were cut shorter than the rough, the rough wasn't so thick that you're likely to lose a disc or cover your legs with seeds and blood. Thank you. Transitions are well done with great steps cut into hillsides and trails that smooth out the grade and won't erode the crap out of the hills. Three sets of tees I believe. I played from the Whites b/c they had the carpet and the tee signs and they were a terrific mix of challenge and fun. The Blues looked appropriate as far as I can tell.

Design: Is there a bad hole? Every hole feels different, lots of variety, great use of terrain for greens, fair fairways, etc. Holes 1, 9, 10, and 18 are around the parking lot so you can play separate 9's easily enough. Big arms will relish the open holes but weenie arms can make up the difference with the wooded holes and making putts. I threw everything from distance drivers to putters off the tee. Only a handful of holes felt like they heavily favored a FH or a BH, for the most part the holes are balanced enough to invite multiple lines of attack. The elevation is utilized very well, even the uphill slog on hole 18 isn't too insulting but mostly taxing if the previous 17 holes took it out of you.
Cons: Okay the tees are the slightly lumpy, gravel variety that seem to be getting too common. I hope some concrete or well placed pavers replace them and if so I'd seriously consider giving the course a '5.' The existing tees play okay but everything else is so top notch it's a shame that the tees are average.

Pars might be soft on a few holes. Once you get familiar with the course I think it could be easier than it might ought to be, especially on a still day.

There aren't any bodies of water to really complete the epic course checklist. The creek is nice but mostly plays casual except for a hole or two where an OB line is in play. But if you're one of those people that just have to throw over water you might not hold the course in as high regard as I do.

Lots of ticks and flying pests in the summer so keep the repellent handy.
Other Thoughts: I really wavered on a 4.5 or a 5. I love this course; it's like having your own private course. Even though it's kind of in the middle of nowhere I even enjoyed the super curvy Jubal Early highway we took from Sontag to get here. It should appeal to basically everybody, from novices that will just enjoy the nature to veterans that can really appreciate the design and quality of the holes.

There's not much else here besides a disc golf course. A playground and a couple of portable toilets is all I remember.

Come Over to the Mayflower

1    6/16/2018   6/16/2018
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: If this course is currently not on your radar, put it on it. Put it at the top of your wish list. Make this course a priority to play before you die. It is that good.

To begin, this course has some of the best tee signs in the game. Super large and helpful, with a full color map, distance and par, as well as suggested lines, and elevation change. Really awesome.

Almost every hole also has a next tee post, pointing you to the net tee, making navigation almost completely seamless, and it loops back to the parking lot after both 9 hole stretches.

Each hole also has at least two basket positions, each well positioned to have a risk/reward play. Every hole also has a bright yellow, brand spanking new Innova Discatcher, visible in the wide open, as well as the dense forest.

The elevation on this course is immaculate. As you can see on the tee signs, there isn't a hole that elevation isn't a factor, with the overall slope per hole usually outnumbers 10 feet. The elevation on this course can really create signature holes, with downhill bombs, as well as uphill crushers.

Another great variety is in the shaping of the holes. The wooded holes all require a different line, whether it be a turnover or a hyzer, and approaches to the green require a lot of focus on the angle to the ground, making every shot important in every aspect.

For such a new course, the ground looks like it was made for disc golf. Well made bridges and stairs lead the way through the course, well beaten paths throughout. Amazing.

Some signature holes-

2. Huge RHBH downhill Hyzer, leading to an uphill crush, leaving a putter approach for, what you can only hope, is a tap in birdie. Two of these are some of my favorite shots to throw.

8. For a lefty like me, this 375 foot LHBH hyzer from the whites down the hill was great, and it sure doesn't help that I parked it. Just a really fun, downhill hole.

14. This hole is the most fun for people to air out on. A wide enough fairway to air out, but small enough to caution a huge drive. The farther you throw, the shorter the approach.
Cons: The first problem with this course is the tee pads, which are all three gravel, with the white tee covered in carpet, making it the most playable. Gravel tee pads, are in my opinion, the worst, but luckily there will be pavers on the back two tees in less than a year.

Another problem is the fact that there is only one tee sign per hole, so if you want to play the blue tees on your first walk through the course, you will want to visit the white tees to find the correct distances and map.

Not a con, more of a precaution, but this course is a workout, so bring lots of water and energy, or you will pay for it on your walk up that final hill.

A good amount of bugs, such as ticks, can be found on the course, so wear bug spray, and check yourself at the end of the round.
Other Thoughts: This is the newest championship course. It could easily be at the top of the most experienced players lists, and with the constant improvements that I could tell the course was getting, this will become a true gem, even more than it already is.

I want everyone to know that this course is the real deal...

PLAY THIS COURSE!

Any skill

5+    5/23/2018   5/23/2018
Review By: Climb2safety
Pros: This course offers something for every skill level. A course that is fun for the 1000 rated player as well as someone who is out for their first time playing. The signage is top notch with huge signs as well as elevation +/-. Directional signs were good but they weren't really needed. The tee boxes are big and gravel and word is they will be putting pavers in later in the year so they didn't bother me at all. There is only one set of baskets in now but in a month or two there will be 2 baskets on every hole at all times which I love better than one basket being switched from spot to spot. It lets me pick and chose how I want to play the course and I love that. The course overall was great with wide open fairwAys, plenty of elevation change, and fun placement shot holes. The course is very soft but in my opinion that is all relative to other scores. The front 9 has 5 open holes and 4 wooded. The back 9 has 3 open holes and 6 wooded. The front 9 is more beginner friendly but I liked the back 9 better. Hole 14 in my opinion is the signature hole. It is a downhill par 4 that you get to bomb.
Cons: As this is a new course it still needs to be trimmed here or there in some fairwAys but not much. The tee pads are gravel but knowing they will be pavers later it really didn't go into my rating of the course. Another thing is the ticks. I have found ticks on me every time I have been playing but as this is a wooded course their is not much anyone can do about that.
Other Thoughts: This is a great venue for tournaments. The blue tees to long pin positions really make this a championship level course. It also isn't too hard from whites which makes backups for tournaments almost non existent I would imagine.

Almost Perfect

1    5/9/2018   5/9/2018
Review By: Hthomas77807
Pros: This course had everything I look for in a course. The tee signs were incredibly detailed and even included an elevation map along the bottom of the sign which was the first time I had ever seen that and was very helpful when playing for the first time. The signs that guided you to the next tee were also very clear and helpful. The paths were incredible, especially for such a new course. Many of them were lined with rocks, there were stairs in areas that might have been difficult to navigate without them, and there were extremely nice bridges across every stream that you were required to cross while playing. The land was beautiful and had a big variety of tree species on different holes which helped each hole have a different feel and challenge.

Now for the play of the course. Hole one is a beautiful and challenging par 4 with great elevation change that sets the bar for the rest of the course. The rest of the course really lived up to the expectations I had after the first hole. The elevation changes on the course are amazing and make for some really fun and technical shots. The course had a great mix of wooded holes, technical open holes, and holes that you can really open up on. Every hole had rough to avoid, but the fairways were all extremely fair and I never found myself upset about fairway trees blocking a good shot.

Cons: The main reason this course is not five star was due to the par being a little bit soft for a championship course. This could be fixed by playing the blue tees, but the course was designed with the white tees in mind. The blue tees were not as bad as many that you will find, but they also were not as good as the white tees. It was also hard at times to know which pin position the basket was in and the signs would really benefit from a pin position indicator. The final issue I had with the course was hole 13 seemed to not fit in with the rest of the course. It seemed like the hole was just thrown in to break up the walk.
Other Thoughts: The course is incredible for how young it is. The tees are currently gravel, but there are plans for that to be updated so I did not consider that as part of the review. Another thing that I do not consider a pro or a con is the amount of hiking that is done when playing this course. It is well worth it, but the course is definitely a workout. In my opinion, this course could definitely be the top course in Virginia once it breaks in some and gets some more play. This course is definitely worth a day trip to play and will also be a great tournament course.

Mayflower Hills

1    5/9/2018   5/9/2018
Review By: TheShumaster
Pros: Mayflower Hills is the second championship level course in the Roanoke area along with Greenfield. This course utilizes rolling hills and plains, as well as thick woods with winding creeks. It is obvious that tons of labor went into course, as three well-made gravel tees, two of which are being converted to pavers in the near future, are present on most holes. Many memorable holes are scattered throughout the course, and I feel that it is best to describe each hole individually (these descriptions are from the white tees to the whichever pins were installed first):

Hole 1: A beautiful opening par 4 with around 300' of flat plains before a significant downhill with the basket set around 80' into some trees.
Hole 2: The longest hole on the course, this bomber hole (810' White Tee to A Pin) features a downhill drive and an uphill approach. This hole is very reachable in two for big arms in the short pin. A common theme on the course is sloped greens, and this hole is no exception.
Hole 3: An open, short par 3 with some sparse, small trees scattered throughout the fairway, the real danger on this hole is the heavily sloped green, which makes rolls very possible.
Hole 4: The first wooded hole is a short, downhill par 3 with a severe right-to-left slope and an out-of-bounds area on the left.
Hole 5: An easy 200' left-to-right with a significant uphill. This hole has a creek on the left, which makes it a memorable hole for the sheer beauty.
Hole 6: The first wooded "par 4" is a short 350' S-shaped tunnel shot. With a great drive, this hole is realistically reachable off the tee. The only trouble is an OB line right of the fairway and bamboo long of the pin.
Hole 7: Hole 7 is a valley shot with the basket finishing significantly higher than the tee. The gap is a ways off the tee, but kicks often end up at the base of the hill.
Hole 8: Hole 8 is one of the most beautiful holes on the course. At 375', the significant downhill makes it reachable with a mid. The right side of the hole is lined with thick trees, and the green slopes hard left-to-right.
Hole 9: One of the truest par 4s on the course, a big tee shot leads to a relatively easy uphill approach, unless you find yourself behind a large cluster of trees straight off the tee. The only real mistake to make is to leak right into a thick bamboo forest. It serves as natural OB for this hole.
Hole 10: Another open, longer par 3 that is easily reachable due to the downhill. This hole allows many different ways to access the pin, as it is essentially wide open with a cluster of trees just short of the basket.
Hole 11: This par 4 is deceptively short, but still requires 2 great shots for the birdie 3. The recommended play is a RHBH hyzer out of the gap that finishes far left. This allows the best look at the pin. It is possible to get aggressive and bite off a ton of distance, but the risk-reward favors the simple hyzer.
Hole 12: What I would consider the best wooded par 4, the approx. 500' hole has many different lines. Anything off the fairway is trouble, and all but removes the 3 from play. The green is lined on the right with a creek, making for a beautiful upshot.
Hole 13: My least favorite hole on the course, this severely uphill left-to-right shot requires a high hyzer, which can be knocked down by the branches and lead to a catastrophic roll away. This hole really feels like it serves no purpose but to fill a gap between 12 and 14. It is legitimately the only hole on this course that I don't like.
Hole 14: Possibly the signature on the course, 14 is a wide-open 700' par 4 that slopes downhill gradually the entire hole. The fairway is lined with thick trees and an OB line just inside the woods.
Hole 15: Another contender for the signature, 15 is a 250' straight hole with around 50' of downward elevation change. The tight fairway frames the hole perfectly, and the creek just shy of the pin only elevates the memorability.
Hole 16: The difficulty of this hole comes in the form of a 90 degree turn just up the fairway. A good tee shot should lead to an easy birdie 3.
Hole 17: A short par 4, this hole begins in the open, but veers right into woods about halfway.
Hole 18: A very memorable finish, this 600' par 5 plays all of 900'. A relatively flat tee shot puts you at the base of a hill, with the basket about 100' higher than the tee.

The amenities of this course are unmatched. Along with multiple tees, I've heard that two permanent pin placements for each hole are in the works. The tee signs are some of the most informative I've ever seen, including an elevation profile of each hole. The bridges, stairs, and paths between holes are amazing, and just go to show how much work was put in on this course. The real plus for me at Mayflower is the utilization of elevation. There are hardly any flat holes, which makes this course a very memorable play. It feels as though most of the holes could be signatures at other courses.
Cons: The biggest flaw in the course to me is the challenge, or lack thereof. Holes 2, 6, and 17 feel soft at their respective pars, but could go either way in terms of higher or lower par. The other par 4s on the course seem to be easily birdied, as a good tee-shot leads to a putter upshot on nearly everyone of them, aside from the forced layups like 11 and 16. Some par 3s on the course also feel a little easy. I can't say that this affects the rating significantly, as the presence of longer tees and different pins looked as though it would make the course much more challenging. The simplicity of some of the holes made birdies feel more like pars.
The only other complaint for the course is the intense workout achieved when playing a round. The only drawback of having an elevation-heavy course is that you have to walk it. There are some very long walks between holes here. The gradually-sloped paths make walking much easier, but a round here in the summer is definitely going to require a lot of water. Our round was measured at 2.8 miles of walking, so definitely remember to plan accordingly.
Also, 13 really is a sour spot on the course in retrospect. The holes before and after it are among the best and most memorable on the course, and it really does ruin that section by being a gimmicky RHBH hyzer through some woods on a severe up-slope.
Other Thoughts: Mayflower Hills truly is a must-play course, and could possibly be one of, if not the best course in Virginia. The course is still in its infancy, and I'd imagine this course will be astounding once all the early-stage kinks are ironed out and the fairways and roughs have been beaten up some. I would definitely recommend making a trip out there.