Update #1 to my review of Sunrise South
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - 18 permanent Black Hole Pros with blue bands that were well mounted. 2 pin positions on each hole although it doesn't seem they are all in use yet.
- Wooden framed rubber mats for tee pads. Some of the pads are super long, really love those.
- The Course has a ton of elevation change. Yes, please and thank you. All of the ups and downs a golfer could desire and then some.
- Wide variety of Hole design forces various lines and tests most all of the skills you've got. Tunnels, gaps, doglegs, ravines, bombers, this course runs the gamut. Hole lengths vary from 166' to 739' with numerous multi-throw holes. Going to need to use most of the discs in your bag.
- This(and the North/Yellow)Course play along cross country ski trails. These were mowed and make some great fairways. Further, mountain foothills where XC trails run have just the right angles for disc golf vs alpine ski hills with many pitches being too steep. Couple that wth those nicely cut trails and you've got ideal DG terrain.
- Remote and beautiful. Only a few minutes south of Pocatello you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere with beautiful forested ridges and mountains surrounding the courses.
- Second full 18 Hole Course on site.
- Free to play as of October 2018. I'd happily pay a day use fee for these awesome courses.
- Restrooms on site both in the parking lot and up near the start of the courses. Just forest service pit toilets without running water but they've been well kept both times I visited.
Cons: - The Course is just a bit shy of being completely finished. Temp tee signs are in place and lost of clearing has been completed.
- A number of tee boxes are farily lumpy and not all are level with the tees leaning with the slopes on a couple of holes.
- The rough. Boy howdy is it rough. Again, this course is super young so this is to be expected. In many places, 5' off the fairway is a pitch out. Other areas just have 6'+ tall sagebrush. Having a buddy to spot on some of the longer and blind multi-throw holes was beneficial.
- Active cattle being run on course. They of course shied away from us and didn't interfere directly with the golf but they sure do take a lot of poops, many ending up on the tee pads.
- Navigation isn't easy. Completely doable if you're good with maps as those provided are very accurate. The temp tee signs do show where the next hole will be as well. The tall poles for tee signs are also very helpful in spotting tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: I was hesitant to write my initial review with the incomplete nature of the installation. Tee pads just started going in during the late spring of 2018. However, after some discussion amongst a group of friends, it seemed appropriate to get info out about this spectacular 2 course complex and get it on peoples' radars.
I'm now updating this review after returning to play the Sunshine Courses for the second time this year, 3 months after my first trip. I was pleasantly surprised to find a number of improvements including Temp Tee signs on every hole, all the tee boxes have been finished and quite a bit of sagebrush, rough, bushes have been cleared from greens, landing areas and walkways. This really allowed us to let loose and attack the course more without hesitation from fear of lost plastic. Still very rough in places but much better than my first trip in July of 2018.
This is not a Course for low level golfers nor those who don't like a bit of a hike. As I mentioned, spotting for friends is helpful with the tall rough and bright discs will help you avoid losing plastic. I loved both courses for the scenic beauty, excellent variety of Hole style, and tough golf challenge. This course perhaps leans a touch more to the open bomber side than the North/Yellow course but still has an excellent mix of holes to keep you on your game. I will continue to update my review as well as my rating when I play here again. After playing the 2 amazing Sunrise courses, the Pocatello area, for me, is now a destination.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.