Shelbyville, KY
Ryan's Course Share

Darn! So much potential....

1    6/13/2018   6/13/2018
Review By: condor
Pros: I agree with dr.chainslove and I do believe this will be a great course in the future especially if there is a club or a dedicated group of local golfers to beat back the rough (perhaps I'll take part)
Cons: I agree with dr.chainslove - not sure if I could have said it better. I hope, hope, hope this rough is not intended to be a permanent feature
Other Thoughts: While I agree with dr.chainslove on the pros and cons I have to go with a rating of 2 or even less. I understand it can take upwards of 4 years for a quality course to emerge and mature but the rough is brutal. It isn't like ball golf where all you lose is a ball (who knows? That may be horrible to some....) but in disc golf we are losing a disc! Something that may have been in our bag for years and could be relied on throw after throw. I equate it to asking a ball golfer to throw his favorite club into a deep lake or a gaping sinkhole. So, don't bring your favorite, best discs. Hole #2 is so long that I predict that there will be some who lose more than one disc there. I have no urgency to throw this course even though it is on my way home from work so why would I rate it higher than a two? I hope, sincerely hope, to give it a much higher rating in the future

Demands equal parts power and accuracy

2-4    6/11/2018   6/11/2018
Review By: dr.chainslove
This review was updated on 6/22/2018
Pros: Ryan's Course combines two very different style courses into one. It's equipped with 8 very open holes and 10 very tight holes. The common denominator is length--8200ft of it.

1-6 and 17-18 are very open but with enough obstacles to prevent a hyzerfest. All of these are over 400 ft and include some nicely guarded baskets, elevation changes, and some treacherous rough that keeps up the difficulty. The starting hole is a fun start at 495' with about a 30' drop. #5 is another picturesque downhill bomb with a basket tucked into a grouping of river birches. 17 and 18 incorporate a dried-up pond that will serve as OB in tournaments.

Once you get to 7, the personality changes significantly. For the next 10 holes, you'll be navigating lines cut from an old, over-grown orchard. I wouldn't quite say these are wooded holes (only #15 has a canopy of mature trees). This section is mainly 30ft wide grassy fairways surrounded by densely packed younger trees, most no taller than 25 ft. This plays like courses that are lined with tall honeysuckle (Mason Sports Complex in Cincy comes to mind). Oddly enough, you're still playing under the sun here despite being surrounded by greenery. These holes bend in all directions and incorporate some elevation on most. Like the open holes, these are long too and demand perfect accuracy and power to score well. The lines are true but definitely tough to consistently hit. I really wanted to love #15, which many will tab as the signature hole. It looks awesome from the tee. There's a steep decline and a narrow tunnel down the hill about 350' to the basket. It's truly beautiful but will only accept a perfect shot to get your 2.

As for amenities, you're in a good spot. There's a nice restroom facility with water fountain at the top of the park (although it's a .25 mile drive from hole 1). The DISCatchers are sparkly new. Tees and tee signs are the HB Clark standard, with good-enough graphics of the hole shape, distances, and next tee arrows. There's a practice basket and a nicely done course map by hole 1.

You can tell they keep this park well-maintained for the other activities (dog park, playgrounds, etc), so I'll ASSUME they'll give the disc golf areas the same treatment! I'll adjust my review/rating down the road if this level of care deteriorates.

Cons: I really only have one issue with this course and this issue plagues nearly every hole. The rough is truly unforgiving both in the open holes and in the woods. The probability of losing a disc here is very high. I understand that new courses take a while to get "beat in" but this will be a tall task to improve. Holes 1-4 are cut through some of the nastiest, thorniest, thickest fields I've experienced. The rough here is about 3-4 ft high and will swallow discs. Even if it gets beaten down, discs can easily hide in these wild entanglements of weeds and thorns.

UPDATE 6/21/18: Looks like enough players voiced their thoughts on the rough on 1-4. They just cut those sections back! This is exactly what we needed and I hear that they'll try to keep this field jungle manageable moving forward. DIscs can still hide but it's a great improvement! Thanks! Now about the wooded sections...

Once you get in the wooded areas, you'll find another kind of painful rough. These trees are like thick bushes with foliage that hangs all the way to the ground. Once you're in (even by only a few feet), there aren't usually many options beyond a short pitch-out. I'd imagine dinking and dunking up these fairways with 100' putter shots will net a similar score to driving long and having to scramble.

Sadly, I doubt Ryan's course will get enough play to eventually mitigate these rough issues. It's too far outside of town and the extreme difficulty/length will scare off the recreational players (needs short tees added!). I love a good secluded, quiet course but this place needs a ton of traffic and I doubt it will get it. DG community of the Louisville area, please prove me wrong here!

If you're into arguing about Par, you could have a splendid time arguing about the posted pars here. I think the course par of 64 is legit but the distribution is a little off. The 2 par 5s in the open areas will get routinely eagled and some of the 400' par 3s in the woods will rarely see a 2.
Other Thoughts: If you look at the specs and amenities, Ryan's course seems like it should be 4.0 rated professional-ready course. I can't quite give it that because, man... it's not a whole lot of fun to endlessly search for a disc that dribbled only a few feet off the fairway OR having to pitch sideways out of the trees after a seemingly great drive.

Nonetheless, I'm still excited to have this new addition to my home area and I'll be adding this to my rotation. It's well-worth checking out and, despite its current (hopefully surmountable) issues, offers what is likely the toughest challenge in the Louisville area.