Daytona Beach, FL
Tuscawilla Park Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #2 (Taken 6/2013)
Hole #2 Long Tee

Share URL:

Tuscawilla Park

1    12/22/2010   12/26/2010
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a very enjoyable course that sprawls throughout a fairly pleasant park. You'll notice nice scenery as you make your way through the mature pine trees, palms, and various hardwoods. Some Spanish moss hanging from the trees adds to the atmosphere too. The trees offer plenty of summer shade too. There are a few areas of thick shrubs and low growing palms that help define the fairways but overall finding errant shots in them is not an impossible task. Many ditches, canals, bunkers, and islands also define the course and it really makes for one of a kind design. At times many of the low areas of those features are filled with water and it'll add a degree of difficulty to the course that's not found during dry times. It'll force you to carefully choose your shots and really adds tons of risk/reward to your round. The course is very fun to play and can be pretty challenging. From the long tees you find holes from under 200 feet to over 300 feet with a wide variety a shot shapes. A few of the alternate placements not on the map mixed in at over 400 feet. Left, right, and strait holes are all represented. Of course with all the pins being moved frequently you'll find a great mix and quite a bit of diversity.

The course has lots going for it in terms of amenities and design. You'll notice three concrete tees per hole in the beginning. The two longer of the three tee pads are full sized and the third shortest tee, obviously for juniors/recreational players, is only about 3 feet x 3 feet. No matter which tee you decide to play from, they'll serve you well. They have a nice rough surface and are level with the ground. Next you'll notice the tee signs. Perfect little areas hewn in small boulders have inlayed tee signs and have all the info you'll need about each hole, including current pin placement indicators. Speaking of the pin placements, there seems to be at least three per hole. As I mentioned earlier, I saw several holes that had even more alternate placements besides A, B, And C. They weren't mapped on the signs but they were indicated by distance with their respective letter on the markers, all of which were deeper than the originals. Six is probably the most remarkable with a very interesting and deep pin position and one that I would consider the signature hole for the course. The Innova baskets, though some of them are old, are in anywhere from passable to great shape. A course kiosk is near hole one with info and a course map. As you make your way through the course you'll also notice lots of bridges at all the right places. Finally there is a nice pavilion and parking area that seems to be dedicated solely to the disc golfers. It looks perfect for tournament central and worked great for a meeting area/rest area during our visit.
Cons: The layout was a little difficult to figure out at first. There are next tee signs where they count but even so a little extra searching is needed for a flawless flow. On top of that you'll have to really look for the basket a time or two which will require an occasional walk up the fairways. Seventeen's long tee was very distracting as you have to deal with an audience of dozens of cars at the traffic light near the tee. There are several holes that play near roads and are very distracting as well. There are a couple of weird transitions too. Most notably is twelve to thirteen which makes you feel as though you are leaving the park. You walk through a fence, tee from a residential area, finish the hole, walk down a road and pick up at the entrance of the park. From that point on you'll never feel the solidarity of the park again. The views of the roads are just too distracting.
Other Thoughts: Of the three Daytona courses I played, this one was the best. It's a solid course and worth the drive. Being that I am not used to the Florida landscape, I found the features of the course to be quite unique. When I played, the canals and ditches were dry. I hope I get to make it there sometime when they are full of water. The three tees make it friendly for vacationing families or introducing new players. I recommend everyone try it once. Enjoy!

A&T

1    12/12/2010   12/17/2010
Review By: DelightSquad
Pros: A true, dedicated, and challenging course. Tuscawilla had a feel to it that kept me serious about my round.

-Ball golf layout feel
-Shot varieties
-Multiple and rotated pin placements
-Large rocks holding tee signs
-Bag holders
-Committed locals

Someone put some serious money and work into the terrain here, it's flat but has some ravines and lakes; two island greens and multiple bridges. The club here seems very committed by looking at the pavilion near 1/9 which is covered in local DG info.
Cons: Being it December when I played the course everything was dry. If this was July I would have to assume these lakes and streams would be full of water making this course painfully frustrating as described by other reviews.

-Pins can be hard to locate
-Old pins and not all identical
-Peds, park roads, and main roads near or in shots
-Noisy
-Semi-sketchy area

My biggest con here might be the lack of isolation. I like being out in a relaxed environment when I play and this course couldn't provide that except for a few holes on the back. Hole 6 is a terrible hole of disaster and I'd love to see a birdie on it by anyone! maybe that should be a positive.
Other Thoughts: While I felt a bit beaten and skeptical, this was an amazing course that offered a skill driven challenge. If not for the major chance of lost discs and ever present rat race in progress I would have rated this much higher. Try to be here in winter or bring you're serious A game.

Worst course I've ever played

2-4    4/24/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: Snakeman
This review was updated on 12/24/2011
Pros: Drove past course on 9/11/2010 and saw baskets now have flags on top of them.
Cons: A poorly laid out course with difficult to find tees and baskets. Multiple tees are confusing and spread out. 12th tees are outside of park fence and the long tee is across a public street. Part of the back nine is along a 35 MPH road where there is heavy traffic, errant throws can end up in the road. Canals that run all over the course have steep and slippery banks. Need to have drivers and putters that float.
Other Thoughts: The many homeless men in park know the course and are very helpful in pointing out hard to find baskets. Some can give tips on which disc to throw. I suggest playing Reed Canal Park DGC or River City Nature Park DGC.

Great course

2-4    6/22/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: IndyTyler
Pros: Good variety of shots. Nice tee pads. Great signs for tee pads. Aarows pointing to next hole. Easy to find discs in fairways. Interesting shots over water. No pedestrian problems for me.
Cons: the only problem we had were some fire ants that got on my girlfriends feet. some of the baskets arent the nicest but they work just fine.
Other Thoughts: there are turtles and lizards all over the place here. the locals are great. looked like they had a good league going. one kind guy returned a disc to me that i lost in the palms on hole 11. Thanks for returning it.

Great course great people. Definitely swing by this park if you are in the Daytona area.

New Fav. Course

2-4    5/30/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: melkman
Pros: I really enjoyed this course. It reminded me of a real golf course in the variety of hole types. Short, long, right, left, straight where all included. great uses of water holes and ditches. I actually used all of the discs in my bag on this course. A lot of risk/reward on this course. I really like hole 14. it has a pretty small island with the basket on it. Do you try and land it on the island in two or play it safe and do a lay-up second shot and have an easy third. The local players seemed really friendly too. three concrete tees per hole and three possible basket locations.
Cons: Like most courses i've played, the first time out is confusing. i printed out a map beforehand which helped. it also would be nice to know which of the three basket locations are being used. a lot of homeless wandering the park. no one bothered us though.
Other Thoughts: can't wait to get back. i really liked how the course had a lot of palm trees on it. different than playing on a course with oaks and maples that i'm used to.

A Beautiful park

1    10/13/2009   5/18/2010
Review By: ufcliff
Pros: Straight fairways with palm borders force more accurate, straight drives
Cons: It is a public city park. When I played in the later afternoon, transients were gathering to spend the night. Not threatening, but gathering in play areas.

Great course on the Worlds Most Famous Beach

1    4/8/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: stewbeck
Pros: Three tees on each hole make it fun for the whole family, my son played from the front tees and outdrove me a few times! The water on this course is very cool, very nice park.
Cons: A few homeless folks and a lot of garbage (probably left by the homeless).
Other Thoughts: Awesome course!

A little Hide away in Daytona Beach

1    3/13/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: Considering Daytona Beach is famous for the races, motorcycles, and beaches, I was surprised to see a Disc Golf Course right next to the main road of International Speed Way. There isn't much shade in Daytona, it is famous for it's SUN. But this park provides a nice area to play with out getting cooked. It has a good range of flight types and tee locations. And I was not afraid of their water holes. Side note it was a thumbs up with the kids.
Cons: It isn't wide open ranges. It is what I would call condensed. It was the first time there especially with the family, so I was lost tee locations were not often clearly marked. But we fallowed a small group and was able to manuver through pretty well. There were homeless people about, but they didn't bother us and we did not bother them.
Other Thoughts: I have to say............................
I do not remember seeing empty beer bottles or the such lying around wooded areas or in the open. "Bravo", this was the cleanest park I have been to. All trash in the trash cans. They did have a bathroom, but I didn't use it so I can't comment upon it's condition.

Part of Vacation

1    12/11/2009   1/25/2010
Review By: Peachey
Pros: A lot of nature, chameleons, snapping turtles, even glimpsed a snake leaving the area.
The holes have a lot of variety and are tough enough to challenge. Hole 9 might be the toughest hole I've played...a 5 is a decent effort. Nice amount of water without too much danger of losing a disc. A great mix of throws necessary to master this course.
Cons: While trees and wildlife are nice...it's not really a pretty course. There seemed to always be locals around (not threatening at all) some of whom looked like they had no where else to go. At several locations I saw evidence that people had been and probably were living in this park. They had left bags of clothes and other trash around.
Other Thoughts: The folks living a tough life do NOT detract from this course.
I'd go back.

Tropical Discin'

1    5/16/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: BigJ198
Pros: I liked the variety of options and throwing lanes available. Standing on the tees I could see different flight paths through the palms that I just don't see on a wooded course. (Not that I always succssefully navigated the path I chose to use!)
Lots of people on the course yet, it didn't seem crowded.
the trees not only make the course challenging, but they provide some needed shade.
Well-maintained. Thanks to whoever keeps this course in tip-top condition.
Other Thoughts: No cons for me on this course. Coming from N. Carolina, I feel like I am in the tropics with the warm breeze and tall palms. Will stop here again on our way to and from Orlando when visiting friends there. I'll drive 9 hours to play this course!