Rockford, MI
Courtland Township DGC Share
Uploaded By: blazerlazer Hole #7
3 / 344ft.   3 / 320ft.   3 / 290ft.   3 / 267ft. Par / Distance:

Worth a little bit of a drive

1    8/19/2020   8/19/2020
Review By: blidablat
Pros: Multiple tee pads: all in good shape, all well marked and signed, and gives you the possibility of playing it differently on another visit. Playing with my boys (ages 10 and 13) we enjoyed playing the short tees together. Even the long tees wouldn't be a huge challenge, but if you're looking to throw 400 footers, this isn't the place for it.

The fairways were not huge, but you weren't horribly punished for missing them - there were plenty of trees and bushes to get in the way but it was more forgiving than playing through. The holes were not terribly different from each other, but had enough variation to keep things interesting.
Cons: Very flat, and not a ton of variety on the course. The posted presence of both A and B baskets for each hole, but then the complete lack of B baskets can be a little confusing. We only had the A baskets to shoot for (except for 18) and some of the B placements would have been a more interesting challenge. I would love to play on actual grass fairways instead of mowed weeds. The road noise is considerable.
Other Thoughts: We visited based on decent reviews and the lack of very long holes, and we had a good time. All three of us would definitely visit again, and this course could become even better as it matures and is well taken care of.

Nice course now, and could be nicer when completed!

1    8/2/2020   8/2/2020
Review By: DFrah
Pros: Infrastructure - 35 brand new cement tee pads and 19 baskets in great shape (the long tee pad for hole #3 appears to have not yet been installed). Kiosk at front of course with course map.

Multiple tees and pins - The plan appears to be for each of the 18 holes on this course to have two tee pads and two baskets (see course map, and photos on here). This means that there are four different tees from which to play your round. Both the long and short tee pads on each hole have a color tee sign showing the tee pad locations, pin locations, and all four possible distances (long tee to "A" pin, long tee to "B" pin, short tee to "A" pin, short tee to "B" pin). However, as of this writing the "B" pins are all missing, leading me to believe that they have yet to be installed (with the exception of #18, which is kind of functioning as a practice basket for now). Because the "B" pins are not in as of this writing, I cannot accurately evaluate the difference between playing to the "A" pins and "B" pins. That said, from the indicated locations on the tee signs and my experience on the course today I think that on most holes it will be a significantly different experience playing each of the four tee options, kind of making four courses in one.

Variety - The "A" pin placements are done well (some holes dogleg left, others dogleg right, others straight). There are a few open shots from tee to basket but in general there are at least a few trees on each hole to avoid. The fairway width varies quite a bit, from tight holes with thick woods on either side to wider "meadow" holes with only knee high brush on either side.

The rough is generally punishing and thick, but not so thick that there is serious danger of losing a disc on most holes.
Cons: Variety - Yes I'm listing it as both a pro and con. This course uses the available space well, but other than trees and brush there aren't many other obstacles in play here (no water hazards, minimal elevation change, etc.). There also aren't really any holes that I thought were especially memorable or stood out. Each hole was enjoyable but they started to kind of blend together for me.

"B" pins not yet installed as mentioned above.

Most holes are pretty short - there aren't really any "grip it and rip it" type holes here. This isn't really a con for me, but I know it can be for others so I'm listing it. It will be partially addressed when the "B" pins are installed, as it looks like those will tend to be a little further from the tees than the "A" pins.

Road noise - The course is located near a busy intersection and right off of state highway M-57. Road noise can be heard throughout the course, detracting from the experience a bit (at least for me).
Other Thoughts: I played the long tees to "A" pins (Red tees).

With the "B" pins installed my rating bumps up to a 3.5 for sure, MAYBE a 4.0 if the "B" pin placement not only adds the two additional new ways to play the course but is also a little more challenging than the "A" pin placement.

I would call this a beginner friendly course, and good for groups of differing skill levels due to the multiple tee options/distances.

I think the designers did a great job with the land available. This course is a strong addition to the large catalog of courses in the area, and I'll definitely be back to play it again (hopefully the "B" pins will be installed, and if so I'll try to remember to update this review). It's not a destination course, but definitely worth a play if you are local or happen to be visiting the area.

Very Fun Course

5+    6/15/2019   6/25/2019
Review By: JJwilcox
Pros: This course is only minutes from our house so we play it a lot. This is only my wife's and mine 2nd year playing disc golf so not sure how qualified I am to comment on the course. However we really like this course as it is really hard to get in deep trouble so it allows us to work on our techniques and try the different types of disc without a great fear of loosing one. However it offers plenty of challenges to make the course fun and exciting. Another great thing about this course is it drains and dispels water excellent so rain doesn't create any terrible footing or flooding areas. We also like the practice basket as well as the large field to warm up the arm before starting to play.
Cons: No real con's for us. I am sure more experienced players might find this course a little short for them, but it's just right for us novice players.

Good Course for the kids

5+    5/2/2019   5/2/2019
Review By: UFgood
Pros: 2 tee pads and 2 pin positions rotating. The short tees are great for kids or a putter round. This course will only get better with time. They did a great job with the land they had.
Cons: Lack of elevation change. Some barbed wire and trash on 15. Beware of the thorns.
Other Thoughts: The one branch on 14 needs to go. It prevents the anhyzer shot.

A fairly typical course, with no strong negatives

1    7/16/2018   7/18/2018
Review By: B1eedB1ue
Pros: -Concrete tees are installed for both short and long tees on all 18 holes, and are nicely done
-Fairly easy to navigate even on a first time
-Obvious effort to design a versatile course with available area, not a one throw fits all course.
Cons: -Nothing outstanding or especially memorable, no "signature" holes that set this course apart.
-Only a couple holes for big arm players, which would be fine if it was a 'technical' course, but most holes are not especially technical either.
Other Thoughts: I live in the area, so I'm extremely happy that this course is here. It'll be perfect for me to get some practice in, but it feels like a practice course, not likely to become anyone's favorite, or draw in people from out of the area to play.
No outstanding positives, and no outstanding negatives.