Cranberry Township, PA
No Boundary DGC Share
Uploaded By: BigAl724 Hole #6 (Taken 4/2019)
Hole #6 Middle Tee

Beautiful and Beastly

1    4/25/2019   4/30/2019
Review By: vslaugh
Pros: I really enjoyed the shotmaking challenges and strategy that this course demanded. It combines dramatic elevation changes and mature forest into a championship-caliber course that is rather unique. You have to hit gaps and shape lines to progress forward on these long holes through the woods. So many of the angles through the woods linger in my head days after playing it, which is much of what makes disc golf fun for me.

This is a brutal but beautiful course through the tall trees that will take you up and down both sides of a steep ridge several times.

I really like throwing flippy plastic, so this course was a lot of fun for me with its numerous uphill shots and lines to shape through the woods. Even though I carried a full bag, I used my flippiest driver for my teeshot on 10 holes and a somewhat flippy driver for four other teeshots.

Favorite holes are 2, 6, 11, 16, and 18. Three of those are Par 5s, which reflects how much I enjoyed winding my way through the woods several times for the approximately 1000-foot holes.
Cons: My biggest criticism is lackluster Par 3s, or at least the lack of a really special and fun hole. Holes 4 and 12 registered as the same hole in my mind (and also the same as Hole 5 at Deer Lakes). Maybe I'll end up liking Hole 9 more when I see the other pin positions or once more limbs are trimmed.

There are a couple spots on the course where there wasn't a clear tunnel, but not too many.
Other Thoughts: Imagine Holes 13 and 14 at Deer Lakes; No Boundary is basically a whole course of holes like that. Or maybe it's like Iron Hill if an earthquake created a steep ridge 200 feet above the base through the middle of the course.

Looking back from the basket, no hole really seemed as hard as it looked from the tee. Some of the Par 5s seemed really intimidating when you see how much is left after your first drive, but two shots later I was at the basket and feeling much better about playing the hole in the future.

I played a full-round from the middle tees with the course designer, and we finished in 2 hours and 45 minutes (compared to about 2 hours for either Moraine or Deer Lakes).

J. Gary Dropcho has gone mad!

1    4/4/2019   4/4/2019
Review By: DiscinOhio
Pros: So, the rumors were true. North Boundary is one of the most physically demanding courses in PA, and maybe the entire northeast. This wild journey will take you up and down steep hills, through thick woods and open fields. This place is NOT for the lighthearted, as it's nearly 10,000 feet on treacherous terrain!

+ This is a championship level course, and it is advertised as such so there shouldn't be any surprises. It'll test every element of your game from start to finish.

+ Trecherous climbs are usually rewarded with fun downhill shots soonafter. #9 was an awesome, air it out hole after a grueling 8 holes.

+ Three sets of concrete tees that provide unique lines and angles. Short tees are probably intermediate difficulty, middle would be advanced, and long would be championship level.

+ Brand new DISCatcher baskets on every hole, with 3 pin positions. Front 9 loops right back to the parking lot (Restrooms located there as well).
Cons: - The course is open to the public, but still under construction. No tee signs are up yet, and there's definitely some rough areas as far as footing is concerned. These issues will obviously be resolved as the course matures.

- A few too many blind approach shots for my taste, but it's really a preference thing. Some will love it, some will hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle.

- I'm warning you ahead of time, this course is exhausting. It's probably only playable for intermediate to advanced level players and higher.
Other Thoughts: I'm giving my rating based on the assumption that signs will be installed soon and fairways will get cleaned up. In its current state, it's probably around a 3.5. Be prepared to have a map pulled up and a few buddies at the moment but it'll become much easier to navigate as it matures.

North Boundary is a great course that will be suited perfectly for championship-level play soon. While I don't think it will ever be on the level of Moraine and Deer Lakes (Western PA's best), it's going to be a unique staple in the local scene for a very long time.

Long and Blind

1    12/16/2018   12/27/2018
Review By: Ezemp
Pros: Very challenging, tests almost all shots in your arsenal. World championship level. If you like the hiking aspect of disc golf, this course is for you!
Cons: There are a ton of blind shots. Almost every par 4 and 5 you will not be able to see the basket until you're close to the pin. Although it's not hard to navigate, locating the pins on each hole will require you to play with a guide until you become familiar with the layout. It takes very long to play this course, our group of 4 with a guide took us 4.5 hours. A lot of walking up and down steep hills. More uphill shots than downhill shots.
Other Thoughts: My first attempt at playing this course was a bit frustrating. Although we had a guide, almost every shot you throw will be blind. It will take many rounds to figure out the landing areas for each shot on any given hole. If you're looking a workout and for a long day of disc golfing on one course. Look no further.

The course is still technically under construction but even when finished I don't see any of the many blind shots going away. It's extremely challenging. I would not recommend this course for a casual round or for any novices to the sport of disc golf.

The Third Jewel in Pittsburgh

1    11/1/2018   11/4/2018
Review By: toddnick
This review was updated on 4/13/2019
Pros: Perhaps it is too early to review this course, but people need to know about it...I am a huge fan of J. Gary...Deer Lakes and Moraine are my favorite courses (and I live in Buffalo, NY)...had a chance to play with him a few days ago on his newest epic design...

Tee Pads - Great, long, couldn't be better...three sets of them, recently poured on every tee...

Design - Incredible...tons of elevation, more than Deer Lakes or Moraine, really a workout...over 10,000 feet from the back tees...holes 3 and 7 are really steeply uphill...nice mix of par 3,4, and 5 holes...hole 4 reminds me of hole 5 at Deer Lakes..steeply downhill through a maze of trees..

Memorable Holes - Many...let's start with 1, 6, 8, 15 and 16...but many more...there are no filler holes...

Lines - Absolutely perfect and challenging...thoughts put into both lefty and righty backhands...

Scenery - This course is beautiful and mainly wooded...

Epic - This course is a beast and from the first tee you can see that this is a championship level design and course...

Cons: It is still quite rough around the edges and there are no tee signs which can make it a very difficult test if you are trying to do a blind round...
Other Thoughts: I am giving this course a provisional 4 rating but when fully completed and broken in, this will be a 4.5 or 5 star course on par with Deer Lakes and Moraine...

Update (4/13/19) - Just played for the second time today and survived...this course is that hot, psycho chick that you ask out and then wonder a few weeks later how you ever let that insanity in your life... thisr course smacks you in the face and punches you in the gut on the first three holes and then asks if you'd like fifteen more of the same...I wish that I had my hiking GPS with me to track, but the course felt like I walked from Cranberry, PA to Morgantown, WV with the elevation gain and loss of a section hike on the Appalachain trail...the course is half brilliant and half bat shit crazy, hard to imagine any course with a more extreme elevation profile...last track of how many throws I took, but there were only 18 of them that were on anything resembling flat ground (J. Gary did an amazing job with the concrete tees)...

Some amazing progress on the course but it still has a ways to go...some real highlight holes...6, 8, and my personal favorite 16...