Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #1 (Taken 6/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Top Flight

5+    6/4/2015   6/13/2015
Review By: Huckfreely
Pros: Three sets of baskets . 36 brand new Mach x . The best. 3 cement tees per hole. High quality.
Cons: Wish there was a bit more spacing between holes and fairways, but the structures around tees, create good definition and keep u safe .
Other Thoughts: Gets better every time I go. Thanks Steve, Kat and Boogie .

We are all made of stars.

1    6/10/2015   6/10/2015
Review By: apdrvya
This review was updated on 6/25/2015
Pros: Aesthetic-- area is 100% disc golf exclusive. You will NOT run into any non-discgolfers out here so just watch out for your fellow golfers.

Teepads-- 3 tees per hole (some shared), all concrete, all in great shape. The "foul line" could have been better notated (it may have been on the score card?) No complaints here.

Teesignage-- Tee sign at every pad showing all three basket positions. Teesigns appear to be a work in progress as they seem temporary.

Baskets-- 3 sets of baskets per hole. red, orange and black. The black baskets are a bit hard to pick out in the woods and are mostly blind (as they are the longest layout).

Routing and nav-- super easy. Next tee signs are abundant. I can't even think of a tricky spot.

Amenities-- what isn't here? Driving cage, pro-shop, bar, pool table, bathroom, shower, campground area, this place pretty much has everything to pamper the discgolfer before and after they are throwing.

Unique factor-- the man-made structures, the teeboxes built into the bridge, the bridges themselves all add to the unique factor. As I said under amenities, the disc golfer is well taken care of.

Water/ Risk/ Reward/ Challenge-- having 9 layouts the challenge factor here is whatever you want it to be. the water on the first two holes only adds to the risk v reward aspect of the course.

Multipin/ Multipad-- 9 layouts is insane to think about. but you can literally spend an entire week playing this course and not really run out of variations.

Upkeep/ on-course amenities-- the upkeep here is nice. Grass fairways are immaculate and there are garbages and benches at each hole/pad. Not much garbage around.
Cons: Drainage issues-- the low holes have serious spongy fairways that are way more than distracting. Not only are they unavoidable but they can almost take your shoe off if you're not careful.

Repetition-- there are some repetition issues here, mostly on the front 9. The back holes saved the day, in my opinion.

Hole 3-- I get it, a place to really open up your arm, however, it really kind of seemed out of place on this course. Everything else is more about placement and accuracy, to have a 500+ footer that is WIDE open seems a little uninspired.
Other Thoughts: So, I walked into the bar, flipped my Flip City mini on the bar and said, "whats up." All I got was a death glare.

In reviewing this course, I understand now why you can't really review based on amenities or the passion of the owner ( in the case of private courses) . I had a very hard time figuring out where my rating was going to land and went with a 4.5. This is truly a destination course in every sense of the word. You can pretty much live here for a while and disc your ass off.

This place may as well be a mega-resort for disc golf. Not all inclusive, but a resort exclusively for DG. I would say that this course breaks into the commercialism that can be anything as long as it's presented that way.

I will say that there were numerous HUGE groups of discgolfers on the course the day we were there but we never really ran into them. One of the biggest things I look for in a great course is the ability to get lost in my game and experience solitude while throwing. This is not really possible here with the huge groups and a lot of distraction.

Excellent Course

1    5/29/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: DiscGolfNutt
Pros: Pro shop, camping, food, and a bar all on site. You could spend a whole week here and not have to leave the property.
Cons: There are no real cons to this course. Unless being to far away from my house to play daily is a con...
Other Thoughts: Keep up the great work Steve & company!

Creme de la Creme

5+    5/3/2015   5/29/2015
Review By: HeavyCritters
Pros: There is so much here to love that it's hard to list it all.

Just pulling into the lot and seeing the clubhouse with a driving net and practice baskets outside always makes me giddy.

Here's what I love about this course:

*Three pin positions and three teepads for each hole that give you completely different looks and lines
*You will use every shot in your holster and just about every disc in your bag
*Great use of elevation and water (where available)
*Immaculate upkeep of every inch of the course
*Garbage cans and benches at every hole
*Winter disc golfers will find cleared and salted teepads all winter long
*Proshop loaded with discs, clothes, food, beer, water, soda, etc.
*Lost and Found: They drag the swamp on Hole 2 regularly and will call all golfers who leave a name and number and description of their disc
*Great signage
*Easy to navigate
*Beautiful landscaping and structures (can't wait for the fountain to be finished!)
*Camping on site
*Pay to Play. P2P is a "pro" in my book, and $5 for as much as you can play is a steal.
Cons: *As has been said, it can get a little soggy at times, but it's rarely been an issue when I've been out there to play.
Other Thoughts: On every level, this course is the best course I've ever played (I'm currently at 156 courses bagged).

From the sheer fun of the golf, to the landscaping and upkeep to the pro shop, I'm not sure how you can do better than Rollin Ridge.

I regularly drive over an hour and half one way early in the morning to meet a couple of friends out there so we have the course to ourselves for a few hours.

Do yourself a favor if you're in the area and play this amazing course.

Best course I've played to date

5+    6/29/2014   5/28/2015
Review By: smyith
Pros: - multiple pins
- pro/adv/am tees
- guarded tee boxes!!!!
- very very challenging
- you will need your game to be at its best to even have a chance at scoring in the 60s
- first course i've played where everything is Par 3 just does not apply
- you will use every shot you know to try and best the course
- clean, and i dont just mean garbage, i mean even sticks and what not on the ground. not many wooded courses can you confidently throw a roller and know that a random stick isnt going to screw you over.
- netted practice area for driving
- practice basket
- club house with discs, food, drinks
- plumbed toilets (open even if shop isnt!)
- camping on site
- the long grass rough is mowed in a grid to make it really easy to find a disc if you go in it
- in the woods there isnt needless shrubbery to make you have to search. going off fairway is punishment enough.
Cons: - the one and only con to the course is there is some water management issues that make a few holes a bit sloppy. there are ways to fix this and i have no doubt that they will take care of the issue in time. just make sure to wear waterproof shoes and you will be fine.
Other Thoughts: There isn't much to the area, but I would travel from anywhere to play this course. It is worth every second of your time. Out of the 140 courses I have played this one is easily the best. It is tempting to bump down the other 5s I have given out cause this one sets the bar at a new height. And what is amazing is that they aren't anywhere near done. The people involved are incredibly friendly and passionate about taking the sport to new heights. I wish that this course was in my backyard! I really cant praise it enough.
I do advise on hole 18 to have someone guard your disc from going in the small puddle/pond by the pin placements, its kind of stagnate and you dont want to have to go searching in it.
I really hope that courses like these are the new direction for disc golf design.
Seriously go play this course!

The Ridge

1    5/16/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: travapple
Pros: The course is easily one of the most well maintained and well thought out courses i've ever been too! With 3 tee pads and 3 baskets on each hole, the possibilities are endless. there is truly something for people of all skill levels. you could play here all day and never play the same course twice. They do an excellent job of using the space they have available (the holes are generally pretty tightly packed together, but not overly so). There are also some very unique holes that make you plan your shot accordingly.

This course feels more like an actual golf course/country club than anywhere else ive been. The immaculate condition of the course itself, the amount of variety presented to you in a very professional manner, and the clubhouse area which includes a bar, proshop (with very helpful, friendly staff who are very passionate about the sport), driving range, practice baskets, and a firepit. All of the above make for the most fun, immersive disc golf experience you will find anywhere. Well worth the 5 dollar fee and long drive there.

I will definitely be back.

Cons: Not much to say here. My only complaint would be the LONG drive there. Its something like 2.5 hours away from Madison. It is however, a very beautiful, scenic drive, and well worth it to play Rollin Ridge.

New Baskets Installed!!!!

5+    5/13/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: A Gold Piggie
Pros: There isn't much else to say about this course that hasn't already been covered. However, new baskets were installed today at the course providing 3 baskets per hole.
Cons: So many course combinations, so little time.
Other Thoughts: The Ridge Rules.

Water hazards on course but bring your own water

1    5/10/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: Maxrosen
Pros: Facilities:
-putting and driving warm up area at pro shop
-nice bathrooms and bar area
-decent supply of discs for sale
Course:
-amazing signage
-easy to navagate through course
-excellent mixture of long hole, technical holes, short holes, forehand holes, and backhand holes
-probably the best tee pads I've used and each hole had multiple sets for short, medium, and long course
-benches and other craftsmen work on each hole make this course worth that $5
-trees make most shots challenging
-awesome scorecards-- make sure you get the right card for your level of play
Cons: -see Other
-Just minutes after posting this-- the defensive bartender replied to me via personal message "Bathrooms at the ridge have water buddy!!!!"... not very professional. Maybe they should put that on a sign so the bartender doesn't get bothered by a silly question
Other Thoughts: So the course loses a half star in the rating because of service... We didn't have much water when we got there and they didn't have a water fountain... Weird, right? So we asked the lady at the bar for some and they didn't serve water-- tap or bottled. She was actually kind of pissed we even asked. If you want to provide a 5-star course, you 100% need 5-star service and unfortunately they didn't deliver that to me especially someone from out of town.

Disc Golf Course Standard

1    9/11/2013   4/19/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
This review was updated on 4/27/2015
Pros: -This course has all the amenities you could honestly want at a disc golf course ,
Clearly a lot of effort was put into this course, with great craftsmanship throughout. Hands down the most effort I think I have seen in any course I have ever played.
-3 pads to multiple basket locations on every hole, making a ridiculous amount of combination courses you could throw together. This is not one of those courses that has a short pad that is almost pointless to throw from, each pad presents its own challenge and look at the different baskets. Very impressive variety.
-The course is well maintained and has garbages, benches etc throughout.
-the clubhouse has a disc shop, a bar with a pool table and a nice lounging area. Very nice.
Cons: -Scenery - The course as a whole does not offer the greatest scenery. For the most part you are in the thick of trees and when you are out in the open you have fields to look at. This is strictly nit picking, trying to find something I can put as a negative.
-Fun factor - Although this course offers tons of shots and angles, all said and done I didn't walk away from it thinking I just had to play it again. Don't get me wrong, it was a great course and I will definitely go to play it again, but although this course towers well above some of my other favorite courses pound for pound, I just felt it wasn't quite as fun as some of the others. If that makes any sense.
Other Thoughts: This course sets the developmental standard for organized disc golf. If you were to project the future of disc golf, it's clear that the course would be pictured much like Rolling Ridge. I want to add that Rolling Ridge is not my favorite course and was not even my favorite course on my WI road disc trip in 2013. However, I do understand that what makes a course the best is appealing to all levels of skill and Rolling Ridge not only offers hole distances and designs that appeal to all caliber of players, it does it with class and style that is not seen in any course I have researched or played. It is the closest feel to a regular golf course you will get in disc golf, except without the snobby attitudes. This place still does breed disc golf culture. There is a reason this course is rated top 10 in the nation, it deserves it as it is a progressive step forward from all other courses. Great course, you should play it yesterday already.

Fantastic Course

2-4    3/22/2015   3/22/2015
Review By: aegolius14
Pros: The variety in length and difficulty, the clubhouse, but most importantly the people that run it make Rollin' Ridge probably the best course I've played so far.
Cons: The only complaint I have is the red color of the baskets, which is difficult to see in the woods for colorblind people like me.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a goto course for anyone visiting the area!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8