• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1m from OB line - where can I stand?

Fredvang

Hi. I'm new to DG Course Review and fairly new to disc golf.

I was playing with my friends the other day when my disc ended up out of bounds. I took my 1m in from the OB line, but both me and my friends were unsure of where exactly I could stand in relation to the basket.

Can someone enlighten me on what is correct? See my attached beautiful paint drawing.

I wanted to stand on the yellow marks because I then could lean around the tree. My friends didn't agree because I then would be further than 1m out from the OB line. They said I had to stand on the brown marks. What about the red marks?

Thanks.

Attachments

• OB stance.png
    OB stance.png
    12 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
To clarify - the dots are meant to be my two feet. E.g. the yellow dots are my left and right foot, not two different stances.

Based just on the drawing:

reds dots are not legal.
Yellow & brown dots closest to blue are good.
Brown dot gutter away is OK, IF it's within 11" of the marker disc.

Yellow dot to the right is not legal.

If i am interpreting correctly each color is a set which represents the placement of both feet.

Got it. Yeah, yellow is good.
One of brown dots crosses the line = no good.

Assuming you're right-handed, a stance to consider similar to the red dot combo is facing away from the basket with your left heel by the marker like the brown dot and your right foot out toward the red dot but as far away from the basket as the brown dot but not OB.

Got it. Yeah, yellow is good.
One of brown dots crosses the line = no good.

Thanks for answering!

So I have to have one foot behind the marker in relation to the basket, is that correct?

Does that mean the red stance here is correct, but yellow is not? See attached.

Attachments

• OB stance 2.png
    OB stance 2.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for answering!

So I have to have one foot behind the marker in relation to the basket, is that correct?

Does that mean the red stance here is correct, but yellow is not? See attached.
The red dot behind marker is okay but the other (red) foot has to be at leat as far back from the basket as the back of the marker to be legal.

your other foot also has to be no closer to the basket.

Okay, so one foot behind the marker and the other within this red marked area? See attached.

Or can my other foot not be "above" the black dotted line?

Attachments

• OB stance 3.png
    OB stance 3.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 33
As in this (see attached). I have to have one foot behind my marker and the other within the red area? Sorry for spamming.

Attachments

• OB stance 4.png
    OB stance 4.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 18
Okay, so one foot behind the marker and the other within this red marked area? See attached.

Or can my other foot not be "above" the black dotted line?
The space for the other foot is not a rectangle but outside an arc equidistant from the basket that passes through the back of the marker and is not in the OB area.

The space for the other foot is not a rectangle but outside an arc equidistant from the basket that passes through the back of the marker and is not in the OB area.

I'm not sure if I understand. My other foot has to be behind (but not in OB) this red line that goes through my marker? See attached.

Attachments

• OB stance 5.png
    OB stance 5.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 29
I'm not sure if I understand. My other foot has to be behind (but not in OB) this red line that goes through my marker? See attached.
The straight line shown works. But it's really a curved line equidistant from the basket, not from the straight line you've drawn by the basket.

What about rule 803.02, parts D and E?

Instead of marking your lie one meter in from OB and being behind the tree could you take the optional relief further back on the line of play from the OB and give yourself an unobstructed look at the basket?

What about rule 803.02, parts D and E?

Instead of marking your lie one meter in from OB and being behind the tree could you take the optional relief further back on the line of play from the OB and give yourself an unobstructed look at the basket?
Note that the LOP pretty much goes straight back into OB, not out to the side, so there's no benefit using optional relief in this case.

Draw a giant perfect circle with the basket being the center of the circle. Make it large enough the circle touches the edge of your blue marker at the point farthest from the basket. Your other foot, the one not behind the marker, can be anywhere outside that large circle.

My understanding of the OB rules is there are four separate things that need to be done in order.

1. Mark a spot inbounds perpendicular to the OB line not further than 1 meter. At this point, it doesn't matter where the basket is.
2. Determine Line of Play. This is not necessarily the line you are going to throw on. It is the line to the basket.
3. Take your stance with one supporting point in the lie (20 cm wide by 30 cm deep). All other supporting points must be behind a line drawn where the "box" meets the marker...that line goes left and right indefinitely.
4. All supporting points must be inbounds.