• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2/20/2020 Wysocki Returns

Ok, I admit I'm too lazy to read this whole thread to try to answer this...

But did Rick take antibiotics at some point? I have a hard time he didn't take at least 7 days, and more likely 21, of an appropriate antibiotic at some point since last summer. There's not really another treatment for Lyme disease. I understand the idea of treating the inflammatory aspect of Lyme with diet, but to do that without a course of appropriate antibiotics is, well, dumb.

To add, medicine gets complicated when conditions can't be diagnosed via lab testing. I have a ton of symptoms but have never had an abnormal lab result.

From a diagnostic perspective, to not have a test that can provide meaningful data for diagnosis and treatment is pretty inexcusable. I'll refrain from any religious commentary.

Serious:
This thread shows disc golfers are more than just pot smokin' hippies. Some smart people here.

Well, I still have questions, but we shouldn't delve into this woman's history any more.

Just like we shouldn't be making Ricky's decisions for him. :|

Ricky is not bound by anything anyone says in this thread and I bet he knows that. :)

But did Rick take antibiotics at some point? I have a hard time he didn't take at least 7 days, and more likely 21, of an appropriate antibiotic at some point since last summer. There's not really another treatment for Lyme disease. I understand the idea of treating the inflammatory aspect of Lyme with diet, but to do that without a course of appropriate antibiotics is, well, dumb.

to the best of my knowledge he has not seen a doctor or taken any medication to treat his symptoms

The interview with Terry Miller indicated that Wysocki had been taking an antibiotic for a different infection, at some point around the time he was bitten by a tick.

Does Rick have medical insurance? I don't know how the touring pro gig works so forgive my ignorance, but could he afford treatment for this if he wasn't covered?

Does Rick have medical insurance? I don't know how the touring pro gig works so forgive my ignorance, but could he afford treatment for this if he wasn't covered?

It's a cheap generic antibiotic. I think you can get a weeks treatment for less than $15 without insurance.

Amoxicillin is super cheap and an appropriate treatment. Most providers use doxycycline because it covers some other tick-borne illnesses in case Lyme isn't the culprit (or only culprit).

to the best of my knowledge he has not seen a doctor or taken any medication to treat his symptoms

My guess is that he got the antibiotics and is choosing to ignore that fact. Just a PSA for others: please get the antibiotics! (And a long enough course)

Last edited:
I feel bad for Rick. Making jokes about this is poor taste. We all most likely had run-ins with ticks.

Unfortunately it sounds like he is using "beliefs" to treat this instead of medical science.(if thats true)

Get well Rick. We need you so Paul doesnt have a monopoly on disc golf.

Question.
What procedures/methods did McCray and Cale Leviska do for their lyme diagnosis..
Also, I would imagine their have to be some other lesser known names on tour who have it as well to compare notes.

For a disease that is basically considered an epidemic now, why would their not be a number of widely accepted methods for treatment based on condition of patient?

Question.
What procedures/methods did McCray and Cale Leviska do for their lyme diagnosis..
Also, I would imagine their have to be some other lesser known names on tour who have it as well to compare notes.

For a disease that is basically considered an epidemic now, why would their not be a number of widely accepted methods for treatment based on condition of patient?

I have never heard Lyme described as an epidemic. Ticks have moved, and become prevalent, in areas of the country that they had not really been a problem before, but I don't think that constitutes an epidemic. Lyme is far from a new problem.

If you have not had the chance to read DenverTiger13's post below, please do. There are indeed accepted and practiced treatments for acute Lyme. Chronic Lyme presents treatment challenges.

The very best protection from Lyme disease is education and knowledge of how to do tick checks and safe removal of them, eliminating or decreasing the chances of transmission.

God I hate ticks. They are becoming ever more common in Finland and the mild weather is keeping them active for longer*. Luckily they target the dog more often. I only know one person in my extended family who ever got one stuck on them. Yuuuuck yucky yuck.

*Also the press is making it worse for people prone to scares by doing pieces about them in the worst way. Hey statistics about their spread are one thing but no need to put page sizes photos of em with horror stories.

Most antibiotics (such as the ubiquitous Doxycycline) will work for Lymes, they just use Amoxicillin as it is more effective in treating other tick based bacteria than other Antibiotics.

Most issues with diagnosing Lymes comes from if you have already had it once and been treated, since it's based off antibody screening, and your body will continue producing Lymes antibodies even after the threat is eliminated.

"Chronic" Lymes is interesting, there is no medical consensus on it really but I believe it falls under a couple cases. Either it wasn't treated for a long enough time, or it's already done permanent damage to your body so the symptoms will always be there.
Some Lymes disease takes MONTHS of antibiotics to purge from your body, especially if it's been a long time since the tick bit you. In some cases the antibiotics will actually make you feel worse for a week or so as the dead bacteria freaks your body out.

Lymes causes autoimmune damage to your joints and bacterial damage to your brain. Sometimes that won't heal afterwards.

Ticks, at least here in Virginia, are way worse than they ever have been. I've been bitten by innumerable ticks over the years. 300,000 people are diagnosed with Lymes every year.

Flick Maniac, consider getting the Lymes vaccine for your dog. They had one offered for humans at one point, but it was complicated to administer, arrived at the advent of the anti-vax movement, and didn't make enough money. So now it's not an option.

New research suggests that persister cells that are resistant to single treatment antibiotics are what causes the chronic flare ups. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190423133448.htm

Summary:
A new study found that a slow-growing variant form of Lyme bacteria caused severe symptoms in a mouse model. The slow-growing variant form of Lyme bacteria, according to the researchers, may account for the persistent symptoms seen in ten to twenty percent of Lyme patients that are not cured by the current Lyme antibiotic treatment.

It's a cheap generic antibiotic. I think you can get a weeks treatment for less than $15 without insurance.

Doxy is the preferred treatment for lyme. And it isn't really all that cheap. Although I'm certain it is cheaper than however much money he's given to his quack nutritionist.

I just don't understand why he would take antibiotics for an infected finger, but not for a Lyme infection. Doesn't compute.

New research suggests that persister cells that are resistant to single treatment antibiotics are what causes the chronic flare ups. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190423133448.htm

Summary:
A new study found that a slow-growing variant form of Lyme bacteria caused severe symptoms in a mouse model. The slow-growing variant form of Lyme bacteria, according to the researchers, may account for the persistent symptoms seen in ten to twenty percent of Lyme patients that are not cured by the current Lyme antibiotic treatment.

I hadn't read that, pretty interesting. I knew that Lyme was hard to culture in the past, which is one of the main roadblocks for reliable testing. Also the bullseye rash only shows up in like 85% of cases.

My dad had really bad Lyme back in 2008 or so and had to get a PICC line for a couple weeks of daily antibiotics. So most of my knowledge is based around that time period. Looks like culturing has gotten better over the years. Luckily he doesn't feel like he had any lingering symptoms other than not quite as good short term memory, though his is still better than mine ever has been.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3590594/