• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 USDGC

I don't think that matters at all, it still gives you the possibility to do some sort of recovery shot instead of a rethrow with a disc you normally would not use for that shot. If infact is too thick there it's not too many hours of work to clear some of the stuff out to have a reasonably tough rough.

I don't have a problem with a course generating big scores such as the USDGC-course does. The problem is what I pointed out, the lack of recovery shots, but also the fact that a big portion of your score comes from shots you didn't infact throw, all the penalties for OB.

Again,IMO, it is a misconception that the USDGC OB strokes were a large factor in scoring for the players that should actually have been playing the USDGC. I'm not going to discuss the 900 rated players scores. Their time there was just a reward for doing something for the PDGA and their scores don't matter. The top 30 players took less OB's than last year. Because the OB was punative they stayed in bounds. In years past, they would go OB almost on purpose knowing they would still get a Birdie. this year you had to get a birdie with 2 300' shots+ putt instead of 1-600' shot + OB stroke + Putt like last year. The USDGC doesn't generate "Big Scores" The winner was -20 or something this year.

Winthrop is one of the best spectator courses. The entire course is easily viewed and accessed by the various broadcasting companies. At its core, it is just a very easy course with out the ropes. You need the ropes and changing rules to create Drama for the spectators and cameras. The rule didnt change anything, but made it more interesting for those watching.

Again,IMO, it is a misconception that the USDGC OB strokes were a large factor in scoring for the players that should actually have been playing the USDGC. I'm not going to discuss the 900 rated players scores. Their time there was just a reward for doing something for the PDGA and their scores don't matter. The top 30 players took less OB's than last year. Because the OB was punative they stayed in bounds. In years past, they would go OB almost on purpose knowing they would still get a Birdie. this year you had to get a birdie with 2 300' shots+ putt instead of 1-600' shot + OB stroke + Putt like last year. The USDGC doesn't generate "Big Scores" The winner was -20 or something this year.

Winthrop is one of the best spectator courses. The entire course is easily viewed and accessed by the various broadcasting companies. At its core, it is just a very easy course with out the ropes. You need the ropes and changing rules to create Drama for the spectators and cameras. The rule didnt change anything, but made it more interesting for those watching.

I agree on all points.
My strong belief is that the new OB rule was instituted to create drama. I've watched the last 3 Winthrop finals and watched just about all the USDGC DVD's. Once a player got up by 3 or 4 strokes, the match was no more than spectators watching a bunch of great disc golf. As long as the leader played it safe and didn't blow up, the match was over on the back 9.
This year, predictably, was much different.
First, Will gave it away on 12 with two OB's and then Nikko gave it away on 14 with two OB's. Very dramatic and suspenseful, and very fun to watch. I think the average scores were slightly higher, but only by a couple of strokes.
During Spectator day, our 2 groups voted to play normal PDGA rules, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. I felt no need, whatsoever, to endure the misery that "stoke and distance" would have caused.

Just got this of the USDGC face book

United States Disc Golf Championship Dates for next year's USDGC are confirmed for October 5-8, 2011. The first qualifying event is the Piney Woods Pro-Am in Tyler, TX on December 11 & 12, 2010. Details coming very soon at usdgc.com.

So have they changed their minds and there will be a 2011 event?

There always was going to be a USDGC event every year. But in odd years it's going to be a much different format that includes players of all skill levels.

Here is the response I just got from USDGC.

The USDGC will definately return in 2011. It will be a handicap-based event open to a much broader group of people. Same course, Same experience. Lower entry fee.

Qualifying will also be handicap-based. The Piney Woods event will run as it normally would, then qualifiers will be determined based on their performance relative to their handicap or skill level. The handicaps will be based on PDGA ratings and enable all divisions, not just the pros, a fair chance to earn a spot.

It's confusing, I know. We are working on getting the information out there.

Not sure they have a new name figured out yet if they decide to change it from USDGC in odd years.