• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2011 Ace Race Putter

Doupie620

Banned
Well...last weekend was the Top Card Saddle Hills Ace Race...nice job Johnnyfats.

Got the Pro-D and ESP Putter...

Pro-D: Very Gummy, but easily dinged...felt more like R-Pro plastic than DX (I mainly use Innova):eek: Flies very straight...will not flip at all...:wall:

ESP: Bulletproof and also flew relatively straight...it was keeping whatever line you put it on, but this also will not flip...none, nope, don't try. :|

There was a Putter distance contest after and the winning disc (ESP/Pro-D Unsure...went about 300ft)

Lots of metal hit, but 1 ace with two metals won the swag...Our very own Zboazmobster:thmbup:...hit him up for trades now...lol!

I thought mine were pretty consistent, while others had mixed reviews.

What are your thoughts on the new disc?

i'm not a fan of it for putting.

it could be useful as an approach disc if i didn't already have an approach disc i prefer over it. for approaches is where i could see some people throwing this thing in their bag, it has a nice methodical glide that's easy to control.

i'm not a fan of it for driving, mine does turn over and when it does it isn't pretty, if you get a good amount of hyzer on it when you rip it you can get a flight with a bit of high speed turn before it levels off and flies slow and straight. although most of the time mine ends up fading to the right at the end of its flight. it's also hard to control the distance when you're pushing it out to its limits. again i have other discs i much prefer for any shot this would cover. the size of the thing is also a detractor because it's so funky trying to get a good grip on it for driving.

makes a great catch disc... :thmbup:

...but if discraft reads this... this thing is amazing, thank you so much for giving us a taste of its awesomeness; and for putting me on the ace race homepage... (yeah you know i have to ham it up)

I agree as an approach disc...would we classify this as a mid instead of a putter? The Pro-D is mighty sticky...

Doupie,

What was the distance range for the holes at your Ace Race? I have one Oct. 29 and want to shamelessly benefit from the experience of others. Thanks.

Nothing over 160...most were 150 or less depending on the difficulty. The long ones were open and straight. Johnnyfats did a good job...

I like the disc and it has made my bag.

I use it for anny approach shots. The Yeti is my main approach disc and I use the Stingray for long anny approach shots, but I had been looking for something for short range anny approaches. It does the job better than my Yeti. Don't really use the disc all that much during a round, but for those few shots I need it, I like it.

Several others in my group use it more than me. One friend uses it as his main approach disc and another uses it for both putt and approach.

it could be useful as an approach disc if i didn't already have an approach disc i prefer over it. for approaches is where i could see some people throwing this thing in their bag, it has a nice methodical glide that's easy to control.

i'm not a fan of it for driving, mine does turn over and when it does it isn't pretty, if you get a good amount of hyzer on it when you rip it you can get a flight with a bit of high speed turn before it levels off and flies slow and straight. although most of the time mine ends up fading to the right at the end of its flight. it's also hard to control the distance when you're pushing it out to its limits. again i have other discs i much prefer for any shot this would cover. the size of the thing is also a detractor because it's so funky trying to get a good grip on it for driving.

...but if discraft reads this... this thing is amazing, thank you so much for giving us a taste of its awesomeness; and for putting me on the ace race homepage... (yeah you know i have to ham it up)

I still haven't played my Ace Race yet, but I suspect this is what I will use this disc for. I use an aero for straight and anny shots in the sub 200 feet range and from everything I've heard, it looks like it will handle much the same.

I still haven't played my Ace Race yet, but I suspect this is what I will use this disc for. I use an aero for straight and anny shots in the sub 200 feet range and from everything I've heard, it looks like it will handle much the same.

it's much more controllable than the aero for short range shots imo... i'm not a huge fan of the aero, i still say it's the small conjoined twin they had to cut off the mako so the mako could survive.

... and yeah you could almost just say this thing is a mid, although its range is more in line with putters. let's call it a mutter

This was my observation as well, including (especially?) the catch disc comment.

I like the disc and it has made my bag.

I use it for anny approach shots. The Yeti is my main approach disc and I use the Stingray for long anny approach shots, but I had been looking for something for short range anny approaches. It does the job better than my Yeti. Don't really use the disc all that much during a round, but for those few shots I need it, I like it.

Yeah, this is how I use it as well. It's a specialty disc in my in bag, only coming out when approaching with an anny, probably within 80 feet or so. I probably only use it once every 3 rounds but it's nice to have in the bag.

I just got mine this weekend. I don't know if it's becuase I threw it for 2 rounds, or what but I actually pulled my wizard out of my bag for this disc, and the kite maybe coming out also. The wizard I only used for putter length approaches, controlled, hyzers and such, and the kite was mainly for mid range anny's but always died on me without enough turn. I stopped throwing the ESP ace race disc after 6 holes and the D version beat in very nicely and had a great hyzer line when just put out there sans a large snap. If I want an anny just gotta put more snap on it. I will say the wizard was a new addition to my bag and I was just starting to dig it, but there's nothing I could do with a wizard, I can't do with the ace race disc.

Yesterday first time playing since ace race, I got a par on my hardest hole at the home course, and it was 100% due to a crazy shot through a small wooded opening using the ace race.

I did also have the same exact thoughts about this being a catch disc though, it would work great!

P.S. how long does it take for them to name em? I feel as much intrigue about what the name is going to be as I was about the disc itself was.

I am adding it to my bag for 100ft or less approaches...I was parking them MOST of the day at the Ace Race...no metal+no aces = no win...

However, I will endeavor to endure my perseverance gradually upwards to a unknown goal...

I just got mine this weekend. I don't know if it's becuase I threw it for 2 rounds, or what but I actually pulled my wizard out of my bag for this disc, and the kite maybe coming out also. The wizard I only used for putter length approaches, controlled, hyzers and such, and the kite was mainly for mid range anny's but always died on me without enough turn. I stopped throwing the ESP ace race disc after 6 holes and the D version beat in very nicely and had a great hyzer line when just put out there sans a large snap. If I want an anny just gotta put more snap on it. I will say the wizard was a new addition to my bag and I was just starting to dig it, but there's nothing I could do with a wizard, I can't do with the ace race disc.

Yesterday first time playing since ace race, I got a par on my hardest hole at the home course, and it was 100% due to a crazy shot through a small wooded opening using the ace race.

I did also have the same exact thoughts about this being a catch disc though, it would work great!

P.S. how long does it take for them to name em? I feel as much intrigue about what the name is going to be as I was about the disc itself was.

I think they're typically named in october/november. But it should be by the end of the year, one way or another.

I also liked mine for approaches due to it glide and line holding ability, but I don't like the feel of its large diameter, and that I can do anything it can do with wizards.

My ace race was pretty good. A little laid back, but good nonetheless. Was good to see kids out there with parents playing. The only gripe I had was the fact that When I got my discs I noticed some bubbling of the plastic on the rim. A definite X-out for sure if this had been a sold in stores disc. I had just written my name on the disc and wasnt about to ask someone else to give up their Pro-D Putter since the TD ordered enough for everyone.

Also there was some inconsistency with the batch we got. Some Pro-D's were still as a rock while others were like Super Stupid Soft. I got the SSS version I called it and my wife had the hard as a rock one. Heard this same issue from several other people throughout the day.

Im not hating on the guys who ran the ace race, but I felt that my Pro-D putter could have been a bit better quality since thats Discraft's mantra.

Im not sure it will make the bag, but we will see. I might use it for some of the short courses out here.

PDGA legal?

I know that the Ace Race discs are prototypes and not PDGA approved. If or when it does become a PDGA approved production disc, do Ace Race discs then become legal for sanctioned tournaments?

I know that the Ace Race discs are prototypes and not PDGA approved. If or when it does become a PDGA approved production disc, do Ace Race discs then become legal for sanctioned tournaments?

Once the PDGA has announced the disc's approval, you may use the Ace Race discs in a tournament. This is usually done in Oct/Nov.

I finally got a chance to throw the ESP one I picked up in a trade a couple weeks ago. I didn't get many throws with it but I was very impressed with the 10 or 12 throws I did get with it. The thing just seemed to fly dead nuts straight and not fade at all. There was zero wind last night when I was playing with it so maybe the wind knocks it around a lot?

Our ace race isn't until Oct. 1st here so I won't get to compare it to any other ace race discs until then, but I think I'll keep it in the bag for a now and play around with it a bit.

^^^Cheater!!!

I havent found one yet other wise I would be doing the same thing... lol

Im eager to get to throw them around, pushing for a distance contest now since most our yocals dont throw putters for anything. Not sure if I would be willing to even entertain another putter in the bag though, if I like it though be assured it will not go into production.

Latest posts