• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Best Places List

Baltimore

WTF are you talking about? have you played druid? it's the most popular course in the state as far as traffic goes. the weekly event has more annual attendance than all the other weeklies in the state combined!

Aren't there better courses nearby? Wouldn't Rockburn or Patapsco be better? I was referring to course quality not traffic. We have Kentwood here. It gets tons of traffic because it is right near NC St. But most people I know rarely play it, and only do so if they have to be close by, or are in some kind of tourney.

If there's one thing your list got right - it's that Hockessin, DE rulz.

patapsco is better as far as challenge and aesthetics, rockburn is kinda even IMO. rockburn has gotten improved tees over the last year or so. before that they were garbage. druid has 27 holes (18 have concrete tees) and a wider variety of shot shapes/pin positions. the 9 x-holes are more like patapsco/seneca and have a totally different feel. druid gets a lot of traffic because of location and social atmosphere. there are plenty of casuals there but plenty of good players show up as well.

For a map of the Service Levels, go here and click on Geography of Disc Golf.

I'm still working on the individual portraits of the places on the list above.

I think Sugaw would be a better center for Charlotte and maybe even put it to the top. Charlotte is the only place in the top 14 that you can play year round in a t-shirt or long sleeve t-shirt with shorts...

I think Sugaw would be a better center for Charlotte and maybe even put it to the top. Charlotte is the only place in the top 14 that you can play year round in a t-shirt or long sleeve t-shirt with shorts...

The actual best spot for Charlotte is in the parking lot on the east side of Quail Hollow Middle School. From that spot, here are the courses within 15 miles:

Pinewood Elementary, 9 holes, 3.7 miles;
Renaissance Park, 18 holes, 5.0 miles;
Springfield Elementary School, 9 holes, 6.0 miles;
Elon Park - Eager Beaver & Elon Park - Angry Beaver, 36 holes, 6.6 miles;
Squirrel Lake Park, 12 holes, 7.3 miles;
Kilborne TPC, 18 holes, 8.8 miles;
The Scrapyard Radians(gdlewild Park), 18 holes, 9.2 miles;
Eastway Park, 18 holes, 10.9 miles;
Robert L. Smith Park, 18 holes, 11.1 miles;
Sugaw Creek Park, 18 holes, 11.5 miles;
Cuthbertson Middle School, 9 holes, 11.6 miles;
Mint Hill Park, 9 holes, 13.1 miles;
Nevin Park DGC, 18 holes, 13.1 miles;
Reedy Creek Park, 18 holes, 13.3 miles;
WCCS DGC, 11 holes, 13.4 miles;
Sullivan Middle School DGC, 9 holes, 13.7 miles;
Dutchman Creek Middle School, 10 holes, 14.0 miles;
Hornets Nest Park, 18 holes, 14.4 miles;
Winthrop University Lakefront, 18 holes, 15.0 miles.

Nice to see my home course in the top 10 (Twin Creek).. I love playing there and we're within 20 minutes of some other really nice courses. I was trying to find info on a tournament there this weekend when I came across this thread. Of course it's all up for debate, but a good read nonetheless

48. Seneca, SC 29678 (University Beach DGC) = 3.68

surprised about Uni Beach.. i think most people around here cant stand it lol .. and Seneca has Shaver in the city with Uni Beach being in Clemson.. or even Sertoma, Chattooga Belle or Foothills, or Trails .. or even the 9 holer in Clemson ..Mountainview is better then Uni Beach lol

Why did I ever list the courses? It's confusing so many people.

This isn't a list of courses - not best courses, not busiest courses. It's a list of places where a person living there would play more disc golf than other places.

Someone who lives a few blocks southeast of Clemson Oconee County Airport (the middle of the chart below) would have more opportunities to play more disc golf than anyone else around there.

University Beach DGC is just the one they would probably play most often, based on how close it is to that one lucky person living in the exact center of the graph (on a houseboat).

Attachments

• SencaCrude.jpg
    SencaCrude.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 7
You mean where a person could play more courses, not more DG. I'd probably play the same amount in most of those areas, I'd just play the better courses more frequently, and ignore the crappy courses.

There may be players that would play all day every day with just a single 18-hole course next door.

But, there are also players for whom more courses results in more disc golf. If you only had one course nearby, you might avoid it during really busy times. With an alternative, you can still play. Or, perhaps you'd get bored at only one course. Or, with more courses you have more leagues to join, increasing the chance that there is one scheduled when you can attend.

On the other hand, a place can get a fairly high service level with just one huge "course" nearby, because it acts like multiple courses. Highbridge Hills, for example.

Attachments

• HBCrude.jpg
    HBCrude.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 9