• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Course In Every State Heading Into 2020

Arbitrary List, buuut.....

Arizona: Arizona Snowbowl (3.88)
Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77)
Illinois: Fairfield Park (4.59)
Indiana: Prides Creek State Park (4.45)
Iowa: Wildcat Bluff (4.64)
Kansas: Jones Park- West (4.21)
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Minnesota: Blue Ribbon Pines DGC (4.71)
Missouri: Harmony Bends DGC (4.90)
Nebraska: Cottonmill DGC (4.06)
Nevada: Zephyr Cove Park (4.31)
New Mexico: Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort (4.38)
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)
Oklahoma: The Lodge - Island Course (4.50)
South Dakota: Spearfish Canyon Disc Golf (4.57)
Tennessee: Harmon Hills (4.73)
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.79)
Wyoming: Casper DGC (3.77)

I was just thinking if South Dakota did not have Spearfish Canyon, South Dakota might not have a top course. I mean both Lake Richmond State Rec course and Tuthill are in need of work, The Powerhouse ally in my area is super flat though in good shape. I think the only one that would stand out would be the 18 hole Pageant Hill near Custer.

I was just thinking if South Dakota did not have Spearfish Canyon, South Dakota might not have a top course. I mean both Lake Richmond State Rec course and Tuthill are in need of work, The Powerhouse ally in my area is super flat though in good shape. I think the only one that would stand out would be the 18 hole Pageant Hill near Custer.

So have you played Spearfish Canyon?

Agreed, except I would put Camden II (the Dark-side) over Canyons. A couple of Peoria courses might even be ahead of Fairfield as well.
These courses are all closely rated for different reasons. I've suspected for a while that many players enjoy courses with specific layouts that are the same any time you visit just a bit more than courses with alternate pin placements where you may not get to play some of the hole configurations you prefer depending on where the pins have been set. In addition, unless there are specific named pin combo layouts like Camden II (kudos to Sprague), you won't know as well how your score compares when the pins are continuously moved in different combinations.

When you design to accommodate a wide range of skills using multiple tee and pin configurations, there will always be compromises that diminish the fun factor when some combos are not as good as others on a hole or players have an extra long walk from the previous pin to their tee.

While overall these might be minor factors, when you're rating the top extreme courses, little things might be enough to make a 0.5 disc difference. We were fortunate to have enough extra baskets to do the innovative approach at Fairfield where we had two tees or pins on each hole of the front nine, then the White level course routing diverges from the Gold course routing halfway through adding more unique holes for the white layout separate from the gold layout. I think players may feel they have two completely different fixed tee/pin courses at this site versus just a second 18-hole shorter layout. No question that Camden II and Canyons have better auxiliary facilities for hosting tournaments than Fairfield. Hopefully that will eventually be improved.

These courses are all closely rated for different reasons. I've suspected for a while that many players enjoy courses with specific layouts that are the same any time you visit just a bit more than courses with alternate pin placements where you may not get to play some of the hole configurations you prefer depending on where the pins have been set. In addition, unless there are specific named pin combo layouts like Camden II (kudos to Sprague), you won't know as well how your score compares when the pins are continuously moved in different combinations.

Multiple pins is something I consider in reviews, i.e. "would make a better home course." But in general it's a downside unless the pins are in the more challenging or more fun positions at the time I played. Since most reviewers are visiting players, I suspect you're right in that multiple pins ultimately lead to a lower rating. (New Quarter Park in Williamsburg, VA, is one recent course I've played that I prefer significantly in different layouts.)

I've recently encountered a decent number of courses (WV and VA) with two permanent basket placements. (Seth Burton, Orange Crush, Waller Mill, Bayville, and Munden Point spring to mind.) I think that works out in the courses' favor overall, while costing someone for the extra 18 baskets and providing some inconvenience during tournaments.

Cgkdisc said:
When you design to accommodate a wide range of skills using multiple tee and pin configurations, there will always be compromises that diminish the fun factor when some combos are not as good as others on a hole or players have an extra long walk from the previous pin to their tee.

This isn't a specific reply to your comment, but the discussions here make me think of Harmony Bends. One of HB's unique achievements is that it manages to cater to so many different reviewers while not alienating anyone. Whether you're a total rookie or a DGCR snob, somehow HB seems to be able to win your affection. There are plenty of other courses out there, whether on or off this list, that manage to win some folks while losing others. Too long, too much elevation, too rugged, too tame, too wooded, etc. Oh HB, how have you found this perfect Harmony?!

Some day, there will be a new DGCR Number 1. Before Harmony Bends, it was Selah - Lakeside. Someone else would have to remind us what it was before that. I look forward to seeing how such a course will reach new peaks of disc golf excellence while being so unanimously appreciated, and that will be a good day for disc golf.

Some day, there will be a new DGCR Number 1. Before Harmony Bends, it was Selah - Lakeside. Someone else would have to remind us what it was before that. I look forward to seeing how such a course will reach new peaks of disc golf excellence while being so unanimously appreciated, and that will be a good day for disc golf.

Prior to Selah Ranch, I think it was Flyboy (before Kelly had Tim RIP it), and Flip before that...IIRC.

Of all I've played so far, I can Honestly say HB truly is my favorite.

But Iffy Hollers took my breath away more than any other: wonderful DG, and sooo many spetacular views.

Last edited:
I've recently encountered a decent number of courses (WV and VA) with two permanent basket placements. (Seth Burton, Orange Crush, Waller Mill, Bayville, and Munden Point spring to mind.) I think that works out in the courses' favor overall, while costing someone for the extra 18 baskets and providing some inconvenience during tournaments.

Patapsco Valley is another course that has two tees and two baskets on every hole. Consequently the course can be played as a high-quality par 3 course, a 9,200' wooded monster, or two intermediate configurations.

The story I heard is one of the locals won 18 baskets in a raffle and donated them to the course. :thmbup:

Prior to Selah Ranch, I think it was Flyboy (before Kelly had Tim RIP it), and Flip before that...IIRC.

flyboy had it for a minute but the vast majority of the time it was back and forth between flip and idlewild

Patapsco

Patapsco Valley is another course that has two tees and two baskets on every hole. Consequently the course can be played as a high-quality par 3 course, a 9,200' wooded monster, or two intermediate configurations.

The story I heard is one of the locals won 18 baskets in a raffle and donated them to the course. :thmbup:

A local won nine baskets, and donated them. The other nine were paid for by cash donations.

Actually, there are 3xtees per hole, a third recreational set defined by a pair of pavers. We play Rec2Short at our league finale, and make every hole a CTP.

Interesting. I play Seneca Creek a ton and it doesn't seem dated (but maybe I'm dated lol). If one hasn't played Seneca Creek recently, it now has "permanent temp" baskets on some of the more challenging long positions, including holes 1, 13, 18 (2nd practice basket), 23, and 27.

I wonder whether folks played Seneca when the course was set up short. Playing is a completely different challenge when the course is stretched out (usually after the Soiree in April and often during the winter months).

For example, holes 10 and 13 range from ~250' to over 600' depending on pin position and tee. Hole1 ranges from 225' to 378'. Hole 2 ranges from 200' to 390'. If someone played mostly short tees to "A" pins, I could see the course feeling dated.

I enjoy Ditto Farms and play it regularly but if I had to choose one, Seneca Creek would be an easy decision for me. But I respect other opinions, different strokes for different folks, etc.

As Swatso pointed out, MD has a nice variety of good courses and I appreciate that variety. I just wish someone would build an epic course along Maryland's version of the Blue Ridge Mountains. :D

I agree 100% Seneca is better than Ditto.

The thing with Ditto, in my opinion, is the course has 3 or 4 of the most boring holes in disc golf. Hole 1, Hole 2 Short basket, Hole 4 and hole 18 are wide open hyzers. And I understand the course designers are making the most out of the property. However hole #14 and 15 might be my favorite holes in the State. And there are a lot of other great holes on the course.

The one dated thing about Seneca is some of the teepads. I know the club has put a ton of work replacing them but when you have 27 holes (2 or 3 per hole) some of the teepads are very hard to reach so I understand why. On the other hand I can say they have built 5 to 10 new benches in the past year.

One thing both of the course have in common is a ton of work continues to be put in maintaining the courses and I am grateful for it. The amount of clearing out of the brush that happens regularly is amazing.

I live in Wisconsin and have 5-7 I'd put above Rollin Ridge. Also I love Rollin Ridge. Wisconsin is pretty alright.

Gold, Blueberry, Granite, Bear at Highbridge. Big brother Justin trails, Wilderness, Sandy point. Not sure I'd rate them all higher. Rollin Ridge is #1 in disc golf experience

I don't live in Wisco but id agree w most of that and add Stoney Creek to the list...

I don't live in Wisco but id agree w most of that and add Stoney Creek to the list...

Wisconsin has some gems.

Pat Blake is in the works of building a gem in Wisconsin Dells. His words "the best piece of property I've had to work with". It will be his first permanent course gold level design but will have multiple baskets and tee pads for lesser skill level. The owner of the property bought a skid loader to help carve the track. No doubt it will have a chance to crack the top ten.

Wisconsin has some gems.

Pat Blake is in the works of building a gem in Wisconsin Dells. His words "the best piece of property I've had to work with". It will be his first permanent course gold level design but will have multiple baskets and tee pads for lesser skill level. The owner of the property bought a skid loader to help carve the track. No doubt it will have a chance to crack the top ten.

Awesome to hear, I'm a fan of Pat's work. Look forward to that developing and I'll have to get there for a couple spins once it's complete.

Agreed, except I would put Camden II (the Dark-side) over Canyons. A couple of Peoria courses might even be ahead of Fairfield as well.

I liked Camden quite a bit...but I think I prefer Canyons. I can't pinpoint why, and it's very close. Canyons is one of the only times our group has gone back for a second round the next day instead of bagging more courses.

We thought Highlands was damn fun, too. Not on Canyons level, but pleasantly surprising.

Anyone have an opinion on how the foundation course in Centralia stacks up with Canyons, Camden etc. I was supposed to play Camden last August but it started storming, literally, as we pulled into the parking lot.

Anyone have an opinion on how the foundation course in Centralia stacks up with Canyons, Camden etc. I was supposed to play Camden last August but it started storming, literally, as we pulled into the parking lot.

Long...
When I have played Foundation, I try to play the back tees. It is very long. It has been a few years since I played there, so if I remember correctly there are multiple pin placement on each hole but not necessarily very clear description at the tee. Only really bad hole in my opinion was #18.

I've played Foundation. One of longer 18 holes courses I've played, and i played the shorts. It has phenomenal fairway shot planning being a par 70/72. Its a different type of course compared to Canyons. So its really not fair to compare the two... but i look forward going back to Canyons way more.

Latest posts