• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Course In Every State Heading Into 2020

Why does Warwick Park an almost nothing course get so high? Simply due to all people from NYC playing that course as the ONLY course they have ever played. The other one yeah it deserves to be that high for a course having see it online the Steel course scares me having looked up that course. Just looking online at Warwick is just a City park without even tee markers meaning you have to play from the previous basket to the next basket except the first hole having a small tee marker. Reading online here in the reviews of players getting hit trying to make an 18 holes into 35 holes. That is if I am thinking of the right course, closest to NYC.

Wolfe Woods rates only 3.23 on this board (I gave it a 2.5). Brakewell Steel (the much better course also located in the park) rates 4.56.

Only three for me so far.

Florida: Picnic Island DGC (4.36)
Georgia: Hobbs Farm Park (4.66)
Tennessee: Harmon Hills (4.73)

I plan on further travels and a possible move this year if/when my condition improves from a recent car accident. Picnic will prob fall out of the top spot before too long. I have it in my top ten FL for location but it's not my favorite thrower.

Hobbs is my #1 favorite of all courses and I agree that the Canyons Kicks ass!

Last edited:
Only three for me so far.

Florida: Picnic Island DGC (4.36)
Georgia: Hobbs Farm Park (4.66)

I plan on further travels and a possible move this year if/when my condition improves from a recent car accident. Picnic will prob fall out of the top spot before too long. I have it in my top ten FL for location but it's not my favorite thrower.

Hobbs is my #1 favorite of all courses and I agree that the Canyons Kicks ass!

Speedy recovery!

If you make it back up this way towards canyons anytime soon, hit me up for a round!

Speedy recovery!

If you make it back up this way towards canyons anytime soon, hit me up for a round!

Thanks and absolutely. The plan as it stands now would be to move back to Michigan proly in a few months. The situation is still pretty fluid right now. I want to be in Hillsdale and I look forward to throwing with old friends and making new ones and traveling the midwest proper bagging all the courses that I can. We are pretty much retired now and the kids are grown!

I've played 10 of the courses listed. No way Muddy Run should be PA's #1. I also disagree with MD. Of the courses I've played in PA I honestly think Moraine and Deer Lakes are tied. I actually prefer Deer Lakes. And Ditto Farms is the best course I've played in Maryland. Seneca is a solid course but it's getting rather dated.

Overall course ratings in general have to be taken with a grain of salt. There has always been a bias towards private courses on this site. The appreciation the players have towards the land owners for opening up their home to others and all the time and love they pour into their course shows. Case in point: Flip City. By far not the best course in Michigan, but consistently highest rated. On the flip side (pun intended) I remember playing Phantom Falls in Colorado and having the owner of the land sit us down before tee time and giving us a speech about all the work he put into the course and STRONGLY urging us to give no less than 5 star reviews on DGCR. He was also one of the designers of Bucksnort. Because of that, I have a hard time trusting any reviews of that course.

There's probably some truth to that. On the other hand, my favorites list is dominated by private courses---for reasons having nothing to do with my appreciation of the owners, and more to do with some inherent advantages private courses have.

Interestingly, in my state the our neighboring states, public courses made this list, not private ones.

Flip City is my only one, but do I get any bonus points for playing it in 1998 when it first got baskets? I saw on Facebook that Bill replaced those Chainstars with brand-new baskets just after the season ended this year. (He used to have a trampoline there too! I was jumping on it when his daughter came out and joined me. She was maybe 8 or 10?)

I wonder where Circle-R would've been (Wimberly, TX) on this list had DGCR been around at the time. Got to play that a couple of times. I have a 9x KC Whippet with a thorn impaled in it from there. I also played DeLa in 1999 and that was probably the best course in California at that time. One of my favorite days of my life!

16 for me

Alaska: Kincaid Park (4.31)
Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77)
Delaware: Iron Hill (4.29)
Hawaii: Kahului DGC (2.97)
Kansas: Jones Park- West (4.21)
Maine: Sabattus Disc Golf- Eagle (4.70)
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Nevada: Zephyr Cove Park (4.31)
New York: Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park (4.56)
Oregon: Riverbend DGC (4.62)
Rhode Island: Willow Valley (3.54)
South Dakota: Spearfish Canyon Disc Golf (4.57)
Vermont: Smugglers Notch - Brewster Ridge (4.63)
Virginia: Hawk Hollow - Plentiful Creek (4.73)
Washington: Shelton Springs (4.44)

I believe only three of the courses on the list have been used in NT, Open Major or DGPT events: Idlewild, Smugglers and Iron Hill. I wonder if our reviewers would rate some of the temp courses used close to the level of these three courses besides USDGC layout which might be the top rated course in SC if it were permanent?

Riverbend DGC in Oregon - aka Milo McGiver - has been used in several NT events (including the 2019 NT) and 2014 PDGA Pro Worlds (an Open Major).

Riverbend DGC in Oregon - aka Milo McGiver - has been used in several NT events (including the 2019 NT) and 2014 PDGA Pro Worlds (an Open Major).

Don't they modify the layout for Beaver State? It's normally a 27 hole course and they turn it into two 18s for the tournament.

Don't they modify the layout for Beaver State? It's normally a 27 hole course and they turn it into two 18s for the tournament.

Hmm. The course was still used for NT events and a Major. Just because they change the order of the way the holes are played doesn't mean they did not play Riverbend DGC.

For example, DeLaveaga is listed as a 29 hole course here on DGCR but they only play 24 holes for the Santa Cruz Master Cup NT. Does this mean the NT players didn't acutally play DeLaveaga because it was only 24 holes for the event? I would pose that both events are still held on the courses named even if the courses were in a special event layout.

Hmm. The course was still used for NT events and a Major. Just because they change the order of the way the holes are played doesn't mean they did not play Riverbend DGC.

For example, DeLaveaga is listed as a 29 hole course here on DGCR but they only play 24 holes for the Santa Cruz Master Cup NT. Does this mean the NT players didn't acutally play DeLaveaga because it was only 24 holes for the event? I would pose that both events are still held on the courses named even if the courses were in a special event layout.
The thing is, the DGCR ratings are for courses in their day-to-day layout with whatever number of holes that includes.

I'm surprised that the overrated Seneca Creek is the "best" in Maryland; the second-highest course, Ditto Farms, is better, IMO.

. . . And Ditto Farms is the best course I've played in Maryland. Seneca is a solid course but it's getting rather dated.

Interesting. I play Seneca Creek a ton and it doesn't seem dated (but maybe I'm dated lol). If one hasn't played Seneca Creek recently, it now has "permanent temp" baskets on some of the more challenging long positions, including holes 1, 13, 18 (2nd practice basket), 23, and 27.

I wonder whether folks played Seneca when the course was set up short. Playing is a completely different challenge when the course is stretched out (usually after the Soiree in April and often during the winter months).

For example, holes 10 and 13 range from ~250' to over 600' depending on pin position and tee. Hole1 ranges from 225' to 378'. Hole 2 ranges from 200' to 390'. If someone played mostly short tees to "A" pins, I could see the course feeling dated.

I enjoy Ditto Farms and play it regularly but if I had to choose one, Seneca Creek would be an easy decision for me. But I respect other opinions, different strokes for different folks, etc.

As Swatso pointed out, MD has a nice variety of good courses and I appreciate that variety. I just wish someone would build an epic course along Maryland's version of the Blue Ridge Mountains. :D

I've managed to check off 17.
California: Birds of Paradise (4.65)
Illinois: Fairfield Park (4.59)
Kansas: Jones Park- West (4.21)
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Minnesota: Blue Ribbon Pines DGC (4.71)
Montana: Blue Mountain (4.12)
Nebraska: Cottonmill DGC (4.06)
Nevada: Zephyr Cove Park (4.31)
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)
North Dakota: General Sibley Park (3.77)
Oklahoma: The Lodge - Island Course (4.50)
Texas: Selah Ranch - Lakeside (4.85)
Virginia: Hawk Hollow - Plentiful Creek (4.73)
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.79)
Wyoming: Casper DGC (3.77)

Latest posts