• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 USDGC

I don't see it as a "tedious rule". Isn't it a major part of the game? Playing your shot on the line of play with the basket (or mandatory)?

Yes, if every drastically curving hole had a Mando or if every hole was generally straight. But it is silly to line up perpendicular to the line of play. Especially since TEEPADS face down the line of play not towards the basket. If we used line of play logic... the teepad would be sideways on horseshoe holes. How silly would that be...why then make you line up un-naturally when you are in the fairway.

Dana- I think that's what most everyone who plays DG intends to do.

Foot faults which are called on players who get no advantage due to a foot fault is worthless IMO. Its a rule to have rules.

Now if you are in the woods, stuck behind 4 trees and your disc is on a slope with roots yet you chose to stand on a flat area 2' away from landing I think is pretty obvious the advantage. But if I missed my mini on a wide open 550' hole who is to say my missing the mark isn't a disadvantage to me?

Its not as clear as some of you wish it was, otherwise I wouldn't have seen this same discussion 10+ in the short few years around.

Honestly, the rule is kinda silly.

any dogleg hole with no mando, the footing is always going to be weird.

Hole 12 at Castle Hayne has some very strange foot placements from time to time.

I'm not talking about anything other than the current rules and how players gain an advantage by not caring where their plant foot is when they throw upshots. You make some valid points though.

Those of you dismissing the importance of hitting your mark -- you just don't get it. Mashnut and Dana are right on here. As long as that's the rule, it *should* be STRICTLY enforced, on ALL shots.

It is important, not sure anyone has disputed that...it is just dumb in many cases. If the rule is that you have to be directly behind and in the middle of your marker then that is stupid too...because the line has no width and even if you seemingly throw from behind your marker, you might be a hair off center thus foot faulting. I have never heard of a foot fault being called when a person's foot was behind a mini, but just slightly off center. Usually it is from lifting a heel, touching the marker, or completely missing to either side. Whether the rule or not, it is generally accepted or allowed that you gain left to right distance when throwing from behind a disc vs mini.

The point about other sports is very valid. No one would watch basketball or footbal if all fouls were called.

Last edited:
Skateboard talk > foot faults
Nice decks bWd
I sold a old 1983 Powell Peralta Hawk Skull for 300 on feebay
Had a Lester for ramp and a tommy Guerrero for street

Impossible to get a legal stance at Glenn C. Hilton. Too many roots.

Also, I'd rather read anything than 1 sentence about skateboarding...unless I had Close Captioning on ridiculousness. Thats the kind of skateboarding I like. :)

I'm not talking about anything other than the current rules and how players gain an advantage by not caring where their plant foot is when they throw upshots. You make some valid points though.

My main issue is the fact the rule is policed by others in the group.

If I had it out for you or anyone for that matter at a tournament I could use the rule to my advantage and that shouldn't the case for any player of any sport. Rules are their to increase integrity and clear up any questions not cause more of them.

Not sure there is a better way to do it either though as we cant have officials watching every throw nor is there anyway without a conflict of interest for players to police each other.

If you want to get picky about footfaults, has anyone brought up the huge number of clear violations on the mandos at hole 7?
Such as Rico at 4:55 of this video: http://youtu.be/PpbRhwMUxKs?t=4m55s

The line of play in this case is defined as the line from the center of the marker to the mando, not to the basket. Practically every player who hit the bamboo took an illegal stance by stretching their off-foot toward the mando to get a putt around the wall. The stance would be legal if the line of play was from the basket or if the mando was the outside edge of the wall, but unless there was a specific exception called out by the TD, that's an illegal stance.

Yeah, it's weird they didn't have someone watching for that on that hole. It was pretty common. I know I lined up to the mando when I was in that position, and Feldberg went as far as explaining to the card that he was lining up to the mando, not the basket, when he took his stance (basically confirming with the card that his stance was legal). Uli thought it was hilarious Feldberg was pointing things like that out.

How is it funny to Uli that Dave was pointing out clear rules for his own good which really ALL the players should do. I think its hilarious Uli is a open pro and WOULDNT point things like that out. . ?!

rules need to be enforced by marshals or replay! Rule can be abused too. i see this at leagues where the big money is less than 20 bucks and i'm the only person stands and delivers to not foot fault. But i feel like a dick calling people out on shots that step on mini or too far back.

How is it funny to Uli that Dave was pointing out clear rules for his own good which really ALL the players should do. I think its hilarious Uli is a open pro and WOULDNT point things like that out. . ?!

Uli likes to make fun of Feldburg......he was probably just messing around. He does it all the time.

My main issue is the fact the rule is policed by others in the group.

If I had it out for you or anyone for that matter at a tournament I could use the rule to my advantage and that shouldn't the case for any player of any sport. Rules are their to increase integrity and clear up any questions not cause more of them.

Not sure there is a better way to do it either though as we cant have officials watching every throw nor is there anyway without a conflict of interest for players to police each other.

Then that's an argument for eliminating every rule in the book. Every rule in disc golf is policed by the group, how is that any different for foot faults than it is for any other rules violation? That's how our sport works, and there's really not a realistic alternative. Even if the biggest tournaments were able to put a rules official with each group that wouldn't change anything during your local B tier, players would still have to call faults on their own group.

I don't disagree that there's room for improvement in the stance rules. I've seen ideas floated like having a semi-circle or box behind the mini that a supporting point must be inside, I think that's an interesting discussion. That said, it's really unfair to competitors on other cards who are expecting one another to follow the rules as written when you and your card are ignoring them. I strongly disagree with anyone who says it's not an advantage to ignore proper foot placement, and whether or not it's a stupid rule we need to be consistent in enforcement to have a level playing field.

Then that's an argument for eliminating every rule in the book. Every rule in disc golf is policed by the group, how is that any different for foot faults than it is for any other rules violation? That's how our sport works, and there's really not a realistic alternative. Even if the biggest tournaments were able to put a rules official with each group that wouldn't change anything during your local B tier, players would still have to call faults on their own group.

I don't disagree that there's room for improvement in the stance rules. I've seen ideas floated like having a semi-circle or box behind the mini that a supporting point must be inside, I think that's an interesting discussion. That said, it's really unfair to competitors on other cards who are expecting one another to follow the rules as written when you and your card are ignoring them. I strongly disagree with anyone who says it's not an advantage to ignore proper foot placement, and whether or not it's a stupid rule we need to be consistent in enforcement to have a level playing field.

I believe most rules are more cut/dry which are police by players than this one as well as having less overall shot advantage. Yes a caddy needs sleeves on their shirt but those 2 rules are not of the same nature.

WHateverrrrrrrr.

It is important, not sure anyone has disputed that.

Well, you sorta did:
1978 said:
Did any of the stance or faults on hole 5 help the player in any way. I am all about them when it matters (mostly in the woods) but really.

As mashnut and Dana have said, it is important to the integrity of the game, and the competition, that the current stance rules are strictly enforced by all players -- on every shot. It DOES make a difference, regardless of how many threads we have on this, and regardless of those who deny it.

Latest posts