• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Glass Blown Open

I enjoyed municipal, it was golf, made you think and strategize your way around the course. Made you make decisions on when to attack and when to be conservative. Beggars can't be choosers, no one forces you to attend anything. It's really sad that people choose to complain becAuse a course doesn't suit their game.

Last edited:
I don't know that anyone specifically complained about the course or layout it was probably more to the extreme wind conditions that seemed to not always reward strategic play but throw in a big bit of luck of when you played that day or which day and such. Personally I thought it was a humbling and fun round out there for me last year. I wouldn't mind it being used again as a course but I also love playing peter pan and am happy to see it's being added back to the tournament. Especially the new pin and tee positions. Most notably hole 16 will have a very unique new alternate pin choice and hole 11 the peninsula has a new proposed teepad that really adds a new angle to a classic hole.

muni has lots of fun shots but i didn't care for the entire layout. the criticisms so far have been right on but i also loved a few of the holes: 1, 18 and some of the ones around the creek.

PP definitely makes for a more fun tournament experience, as opposed to an ass kicking

muni has lots of fun shots but i didn't care for the entire layout. the criticisms so far have been right on but i also loved a few of the holes: 1, 18 and some of the ones around the creek.

PP definitely makes for a more fun tournament experience, as opposed to an ass kicking

I actually hated PP, never did enjoy it. Maybe it's because I performed the worst there during AM Worlds :)

I loved playing Muni and ECC, having a gigantic arm doesn't matter near as much as having an accurate arm. I was a 20 foot putt away from a sub 60 round at Muni, and one OB away from a sub 60 round at ECC. I let all the "big 500 ft talkers" spray their drives all over the course, while I just threw an easy 350.

PP...I just royally sucked it up

I loved Municipal, I'm sad we aren't playing it. I shot a 56 last year at AM Worlds, probably my best round to date (even though the ratings disagree).

I'm pretty psyched for this one, a little bummed that I couldn't get into intermediate so I'll have to get trounced in Advanced but they experience itself will be awesome. :) Looking to not finish DFL. :)

I'm pretty psyched for this one, a little bummed that I couldn't get into intermediate so I'll have to get trounced in Advanced but they experience itself will be awesome. :) Looking to not finish DFL. :)

Just finish. Someone will 999

So, since I've never played the courses - those of you with experience - what would a 900ish rated round look like at the three courses? Of course conditions can have a lot to do with that but just ballpark?

So, since I've never played the courses - those of you with experience - what would a 900ish rated round look like at the three courses? Of course conditions can have a lot to do with that but just ballpark?

Gonna come down to the conditions imo

I loved Municipal, I'm sad we aren't playing it. I shot a 56 last year at AM Worlds, probably my best round to date (even though the ratings disagree).

Me too, I shot a 55 at worlds, and it's my only 1000 rated round to date, of course my other round there was 889 rated, so I wouldn't want to see which version of me showed up.

At peter pan you'd need to shoot around a 59-61 for about a 900 rated round. It's par 55 normally but who knows what it will be after changes are made. Probably the same I didn't see anything that would change par just new pin spots that would be harder for advanced and open players and will probably be set on those the day that pool plays there.

About a 65 will get you around 900 on Jones East when it's playing at a par 61.

An 82 last year at the Country Club course was 903 rated.

It's not going to be the same but that might get you close. I suggest getting here early and playing the courses if you can. At least the Country Club. That's not a course I would want to play blind.

Steeze, my brother, brother n law, and myself will be making the trip out to the GBO. We won't be able to get there until Saturday are any of the course's gonna be open for a casual round? The shop will be open all weekend right?

Am Payout % seems awfully low...

I don't have my PDGA payout tables available as I'm typing, but I don't believe there is a table in existence that allows for anything near 17% of the field getting paid out. Most of the Am divisions are around the 16.666% mark and I don't recall ever playing in a sanctioned event with that low of a payout that wasn't designated as trophy only.

Did DD get a special waiver maybe? I love them, but can they just do whatever they want rules/regulations be damned?

Steeze, my brother, brother n law, and myself will be making the trip out to the GBO. We won't be able to get there until Saturday are any of the course's gonna be open for a casual round? The shop will be open all weekend right?

Jones west will be open all weekend to play casually. You can drive the ten miles south of town to a little place called Olpe Kansas. I added it to the course list here it's also called Jones Park-Olpe I believe. I included driving directions from south of emporia on highway 99. It's pretty easy to find and only takes about 8-10 minutes to get to south of town. The highway is 60-65 mph the whole way there. It's a decent little 9 hole course with dirt pads. Pretty short and easy but worth the drive to play at least once. YOu can find that on the courses list on this site too. Under eisenhower state lake I think.

Oh and you can always pay the cheap parking out at Eishenhower state lake. That is about 30 mins from Emporia and is a great course. Very tough out there and will probably be windier than the GBO courses. It can be a real challenge. Watch out for ticks. That's a course I wouldn't miss if you have time and can take a little road trip to play while the other courses are being used.

The DD shop will be open every day of the tournament and probably extended hours those nights. At least the night of the block party.

Last edited:
I don't have my PDGA payout tables available as I'm typing, but I don't believe there is a table in existence that allows for anything near 17% of the field getting paid out. Most of the Am divisions are around the 16.666% mark and I don't recall ever playing in a sanctioned event with that low of a payout that wasn't designated as trophy only.

Did DD get a special waiver maybe? I love them, but can they just do whatever they want rules/regulations be damned?

The players pack will more than make up for any perceived lack of payout.

Last year players received 2-3 discs, a dri-fit shirt, and a really nice windbreaker.

The players pack will more than make up for any perceived lack of payout.

Last year players received 2-3 discs, a dri-fit shirt, and a really nice windbreaker.

Also a DD sniper bag. I only know one thing for sure right now in the pack but I have a suspicion it's going to be pretty awesome. You can kind of tell by the adjectives and smiles going around without specifics.

Jones west will be open all weekend to play casually. You can drive the ten miles south of town to a little place called Olpe Kansas. I added it to the course list here it's also called Jones Park-Olpe I believe. I included driving directions from south of emporia on highway 99. It's pretty easy to find and only takes about 8-10 minutes to get to south of town. The highway is 60-65 mph the whole way there. It's a decent little 9 hole course with dirt pads. Pretty short and easy but worth the drive to play at least once. YOu can find that on the courses list on this site too. Under eisenhower state lake I think.

Oh and you can always pay the cheap parking out at Eishenhower state lake. That is about 30 mins from Emporia and is a great course. Very tough out there and will probably be windier than the GBO courses. It can be a real challenge. Watch out for ticks. That's a course I wouldn't miss if you have time and can take a little road trip to play while the other courses are being used.

The DD shop will be open every day of the tournament and probably extended hours those nights. At least the night of the block party.

Cool, thanks for the info. We was thinking about checking out Eishenhower too.

When you're getting a player's pack of that magnitude just for entering, you could conclude that 100% of the Ams are getting paid out.

You have to look at the logistics of running an event like this. There are more than 475 people registered. This isn't your standard tournament in terms of number of people attending. Under a standard payout system, you would be looking at somewhere around 150+ Ams going to the merch booth afterwards. Dealing with Am payout at a single course 90-100 player event can make a TD pull his hair out. Now try to imagine 5x-6x that headache.

Yeah, DD has probably has one of the best merch booths you could possibly have with their downtown store (which I was at earlier today BTW), but you'd have to print a snotload of vouchers for these people, have people checking ID's, then have dozens of people walking around the store sifting through discs, bags and apparel. Even with DD's crew, the folks who would be doing this stuff have other things that they need to be doing.

It can also be inconvenient from the players end. A great deal of the folks coming here are going to be from out of state. There's probably going to be a lot of ride sharing going on, and when you're playing on tee times, not everyone is going to be finishing at the same time. So the last person to finish is going to be determining when everyone starts making the trek home Sunday night. Having to go to the merch stand is just going to make a long day even longer for all parties involved. When you know that everyone in your group is out of the money because so few are in it, you can start the trip home early.

The fact is that DD is trying to provide a destination experience here. If people simply want to collect Am merch, there are no shortage of smaller events they can do that at.