• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

Knowing the Td and being a Glide supporter this event will shine.

True story, they always put on a great show. As Glide said "bigger is not always better", but as I've experienced in their past events "better IS always better" :clap:

Keep up the good work guys and don't let the self-entitled get to you :hfive:

The bottom line for everyone I've talked to is this: to reduce the size of the field from last year at a time when disc golf is rapidly expanding is incredibly short-sighted. If they can't handle the numbers, they should get out of the way and let someone else do it. A lot of people who have never missed an AM worlds will miss this one, there's a lot of anger out there.

"Get out of the way" for who? Don't just say "someone else."

Shortsighted is judging an event and its effect on growing the sport only by its capacity.

It is also shortsighted to compare the capacity of this year's event only to last year in Kalamazoo which a lot of people seem to be doing. 2015 Am Worlds was the biggest ever (752), but somehow this has become the baseline? They hosted a combined pro/am worlds in 2008.

This year will be the 5th biggest Am Worlds ever. We did pitch the PDGA on the idea of using a nice nine hole course 20 minutes south of Madison. It would have only increased the capacity by 36, but the PDGA declined our offer. If we were using it, we would have been at 612 players tying it for the third largest ever.

Amateur sports tend to be more competitive than the pros anyways so saying turn pro to be competitive is garbage.

Sorry to dredge this back up, but CLASSIC quote. Playing in a skill-protected division (i.e., "I don't want to have to play against people who are better than me") is now considered 'competitive' :rolleyes:

There is so much gold on this thread.

Hmmm.... Bowling Green Amateur World Championships. Added bonus, no pro's to sandbag there anymore if its made a major...

Seems like an opportunity. Do they have a merit based entry?

And Bowling Green's bid was ...... ??????

The bottom line for everyone I've talked to is this: to reduce the size of the field from last year at a time when disc golf is rapidly expanding is incredibly short-sighted. If they can't handle the numbers, they should get out of the way and let someone else do it. A lot of people who have never missed an AM worlds will miss this one, there's a lot of anger out there.

Shortsighted is drawing a conclusion based upon "everyone YOU'VE talked to." I would venture given your position on this issue that the summary of "everyone you've talked to" is not a representative group of PDGA member Ams. As I've postulated, the majority of the people in favor of tiered registration by ratings likely are people who have higher ratings. Of course they are -- that system benefits them; it does not benefit the two largest groups of Ams in the entire PDGA. The hard-working Ams to do things for disc golf all year long, pay their dues like everyone else, and are all around people with great attitudes and represent disc golf well, well they matter, too.

In reference to their being "a lot of anger out there" (based upon people who didn't get in), everyone has to know that such was going to be the case anyway. There were somewhere between 2000-3000 invites sent out. If half of the invited people wanted to go, there would be people more people who wouldn't get to go than those who got in. Also, the fact that someone has "never missed an Am Worlds" means new players who want to experience it for the first time shouldn't matter as much??? As Cris Carter would say, "C'mon, man!"

"Get out of the way" for who? Don't just say "someone else."

Shortsighted is judging an event and its effect on growing the sport only by its capacity.

It is also shortsighted to compare the capacity of this year's event only to last year in Kalamazoo which a lot of people seem to be doing. 2015 Am Worlds was the biggest ever (752), but somehow this has become the baseline? They hosted a combined pro/am worlds in 2008.

This year will be the 5th biggest Am Worlds ever. We did pitch the PDGA on the idea of using a nice nine hole course 20 minutes south of Madison. It would have only increased the capacity by 36, but the PDGA declined our offer. If we were using it, we would have been at 612 players tying it for the third largest ever.

Glide, puttlikeablowfly, and their team have done great work from the pre-Worlds communications perspective,and right now that's all we have to go by. Their references speak excellently of their work. Guys, I appreciate your chiming in here, but the haters just gonna hate. Typically these are the same people who can't see it from yours or the whole organization's point-of-view. They only selfishly see theirs.

In 2015, I almost didn't get in -- I eventually got in from the waiting list a couple hours after my division filled. I was b-ing, moaning, complaining ... if it wasn't my year, it just wasn't. Glide, blowfly, I am actually competing this year, but if theres a need for volunteers on some of the other events -- maybe something as simple as a set up or break down crew one day, pm me -- I'm available.

Glide, puttlikeablowfly... warning... actual tournament question coming....

Are the 27-hole rounds going to be shotgun or tee time starts?

I'm hoping for "shotgun", that's what the Tentative/DRAFT schedule looks like. Shotgun starts get everyone on the course at the same time playing in the same conditions. IMO, that's the most fair way for a pool to compete. And with pools of 72 players on 27 holes you should move through the round with minimal back-ups.

Glide, puttlikeablowfly... warning... actual tournament question coming....

Are the 27-hole rounds going to be shotgun or tee time starts?

I'm hoping for "shotgun", that's what the Tentative/DRAFT schedule looks like. Shotgun starts get everyone on the course at the same time playing in the same conditions. IMO, that's the most fair way for a pool to compete. And with pools of 72 players on 27 holes you should move through the round with minimal back-ups.

Questions about the tournament...crazy talk!!!

All rounds will be shotgun starts. The rounds at the 27 hole courses (Token Creek & Bird's Ruins) should flow pretty well because every third hole will be open.

All rounds will be shotgun starts. The rounds at the 27 hole courses (Token Creek & Bird's Ruins) should flow pretty well because every third hole will be open.

Nice!!! That is great to hear.

Given the decreased capacity this year especially for women can anyone explain the reasoning to limit participation in mixed doubles to singles participants only? I for one am only playing singles so that I can play mixed doubles and would be happy to give up my single spot if I could.....

Sorry to dredge this back up, but CLASSIC quote. Playing in a skill-protected division (i.e., "I don't want to have to play against people who are better than me") is now considered 'competitive' :rolleyes:

There is so much gold on this thread.

I believe you took what I said the wrong way. What I said has nothing to do with not playing against better people, nor did it state that I think amateurs are better players than pros. Look at college sports for example. If they aren't more competitive than pros because they are amateurs then I don't know what the term "competitive" means. :confused:

I believe you took what I said the wrong way. What I said has nothing to do with not playing against better people, nor did it state that I think amateurs are better players than pros. Look at college sports for example. If they aren't more competitive than pros because they are amateurs then I don't know what the term "competitive" means. :confused:

Dictionary - as good as or better than others of a comparable nature.
"a car industry competitive with any in the world"

I think you may have been trying to say, that in your opinion, Ams try harder than Pros. Not sure that is true. For sure it is player dependent.

Hello me and my friend are trying to raise money for am worlds. We are 17 from Bellingham Washington and will be competing in the Junior 1 division. Any and all donations are a big help for us. Help spread the word as well. Here is a link to our Go Fund Me. https://www.gofundme.com/25kk2h7c
A huge thanks from Aspen Eagle and Jasiah Johnstone.

Hello me and my friend are trying to raise money for am worlds. We are 17 from Bellingham Washington and will be competing in the Junior 1 division. Any and all donations are a big help for us. Help spread the word as well. Here is a link to our Go Fund Me. https://www.gofundme.com/25kk2h7c

Lol....the next generation of young entrepreneurs. Ask for money to get something you really would like. Sure is a crazy world we live in. Good luck guys with the money raising and the tournament.

You might want to crop the high end bags out of the pic on your page. ;)

Last edited:

I hope that you receive absolutely nothing for free....get a job and work for it. I am amazed that people have so little shame that they even ask for a donation.

"We worked hard for this!" :doh::wall:

Please give us $3,000 so we can go to Am Worlds this year. we don't have any neighbors that want the yard mowed, or know anyone with kids that we can babysit. We can't take a part time job at the burger joint or the grocery store, because that will cut into our disc golf practice time.

Attachments

• Pickard.jpg
    Pickard.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 39
How did these guys afford all of the previous tournaments and $200 bags?

Their parents. Which I'm sure is who is going to pay whatever they don't get donated.

Also, why does it cost $3000? They gonna fly here first class and stay in a Hilton or something?