• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2017 Discraft Ace Race

I would put the 2017 Ace Race disc at 6/5/-2/1. Reminded me of the 2016 Ace Race disc (Archer), but it is a little longer and a little more stable.

Well, that is rather disappointing. I can't see a spot in my bag for something like this, and I have a noodle arm. I already bag an Archer and a Buzzz SS.

I guess I don't get them creating a disc that is so similar to last year's Archer?

Might this bump the Glide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be to replace the xpress. like the xl and xs the xpress has widely different stabilities between plastics and those seem to be the discs discraft is targeting for oop

I wouldn't put the Archer anywhere near Leopard stability. At least not in Ace Race plastics.

Well, that is rather disappointing. I can't see a spot in my bag for something like this, and I have a noodle arm. I already bag an Archer and a Buzzz SS.

I guess I don't get them creating a disc that is so similar to last year's Archer?

But a Leopard is longer than an Archer and not as US, annnd some people hate beads. I'd consider bagging this if its rim is as wide as a Patriot, which I prefer over the Leopard. With the XL out this makes sense to me.

I got a chance to take it out to the field today. I would put the 2017 Ace Race disc at 6/5/-2/1. Reminded me of the 2016 Ace Race disc (Archer), but it is a little longer and a little more stable. It is pretty much what Discraft advertised it as: "Point and shoot drive for slower arms". Big arms are going to have to power down and put it on a hyzer to prevent it from flipping.

Sounds similar to a Flexline DGA Squall.

I got a chance to take it out to the field today. I would put the 2017 Ace Race disc at 6/5/-2/1. Reminded me of the 2016 Ace Race disc (Archer), but it is a little longer and a little more stable. It is pretty much what Discraft advertised it as: "Point and shoot drive for slower arms". Big arms are going to have to power down and put it on a hyzer to prevent it from flipping.

Sounds like it may be a nice compliment to the Undertaker. Although the UT is a bit longer. Thanks for the review.

If anyone is interested in trying out the disc, I had a few leftover player packs. Link to my thread in the marketplace.

shirt voucher? we won't actually get the shirts at the event this year?

You probably will get the shirt at the event.

TDs can order a few packs with a shirt voucher instead of an actual shirt. Good for the extra packs we order for people who sign up after we place the order since we don't know what sizes to order.

shirt voucher? we won't actually get the shirts at the event this year?

Almost everybody (100+) at our event received their shirt, however they didnt have a lot of XXL shirts so some of those folks got the voucher card instead.

Disc was interesting, not really flippy and not a lot of fade, guess the Leopard guess wasnt too far off. Majority of our holes were less than 200 ft so couldnt really hammer it until afterwards.

So like a better XL? Slower Mantis?

Never thrown an XL and the Mantis only at the ace race it debuted at. Slower Mantis may be right, definitely less fade than AR Mantis, IMO.

I'm still thinking Zombee SS from the JRW's, and FP's description

You might be right on the Zombee SS, another I only threw at the ace race it debuted at. For some reason it felt a tick smaller than the AR Zombee, Zombee felt like a faster midrange feel while this AR17 felt like a slower fairway?

I dont think JRW III is too far off on numbers (6/5/-2/1), to me it didn't seem all that flippy so might be 6/5/-1/1? Had some nice glide on it. But with only a small number of full powered throws too small a sample size to say for certain.

Anyone take a caliper to the rim yet? Considering picking up some used discs on EBAY if they're 1.7 plus.

Never thrown an XL and the Mantis only at the ace race it debuted at. Slower Mantis may be right, definitely less fade than AR Mantis, IMO.

Just for the sake of putting comparisons into context:
AR Mantis (run in Ti) was decidedly OS... being compared to Vikings, or beefy Tee Birds.
Production Mantis (Big Z / Z) were fairly neutral to US.
The two don't fly at all similar to each other, and basically fill different slots in a bag, without really overlapping.

Latest posts